2022–23 Canadian Women: News and Updates

euterpe

I thought she always did have a beautiful smile, and expressed her joy in skating (as she did in that piece). From her description of the leg injury (and scar tissue problem), it's no wonder it took her a long time to come back.
You can see in the video that she is wearing "invisible" braces on her teeth. Two years ago, she had a pretty severe overbite, and that is now gone.

Seerek

Interesting senior results at SC Challenge, Fiona Bombardier winning, Kaiya Ruiter dropping from 1st to 6th.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Bombardier is learning to control her jumps a lot more. Too bad she doesn't have the senior ISU minimums because she could have made the 4CC team. As it stands now only Daleman, Dupuis, Miclette, Ruiter, Schizas and Schumacher (who may not be competing at nationals) are eligible. I mean I think any of those three would be a good team there but it would be a shame if a medalist couldn't go due to lack of minimums. I'm excited for nationals now and hope the skaters can build and peak at the right time!

Colonel Green

Strong skate from Bombardier, apart from her opening 2Lz-1T combination.

Shao Ning Yang skated well, but that technical content is not adequate to get international consideration.

greenapple

Bombardier is learning to control her jumps a lot more. Too bad she doesn't have the senior ISU minimums because she could have made the 4CC team. As it stands now only Daleman, Dupuis, Miclette, Ruiter, Schizas and Schumacher (who may not be competing at nationals) are eligible. I mean I think any of those three would be a good team there but it would be a shame if a medalist couldn't go due to lack of minimums. I'm excited for nationals now and hope the skaters can build and peak at the right time!
Bombardier was impressive in both segments of the competition. Huge improvement over last season. From the Skate Canada press release:

‘’I was here to battle for gold,’’ said Bombardier, who was second at junior nationals last season. ‘’I knew what I was able to do and just fought for it.’’

Hopefully, SC sends her to an international so she at least has an opportunity to try and get the minimum scores.

Doubtful that Schumacher will return.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Well, it's possible that Skate Canada will ask Bombardier if she wants to attempt to get her senior TES mins in a couple weeks at Latvia Trophy. Or see if they can add her last minute to the Golden Spin roster.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Well, it's possible that Skate Canada will ask Bombardier if she wants to attempt to get her senior TES mins in a couple weeks at Latvia Trophy. Or see if they can add her last minute to the Golden Spin roster.
Hopefully they will have learned something from the Schizas situation back in 2019-2020 after she won the challenge. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath lol.

Karen-W

Hopefully they will have learned something from the Schizas situation back in 2019-2020 after she won the challenge. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath lol.
Well, that's exactly why I'm rather dubious about what will happen also. But, somewhere like Latvia Trophy, which is probably going to be as under the radar as you can get as far as the timing and interest in it would be a good place to send her to try and get her mins, especially since the only other pre-4CCs comp is Edusport Trophy in Romania the same week as Canadian Nats.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Shao Ning Yang skated well, but that technical content is not adequate to get international consideration.

Disagree in theory, agree if we are talking about this archaic policy they have about the 3lutz. Rika Kihira at Espoo (4th in FS) did two 3sals, 2 3loops, 3f, 3t, and two 2ax. Amy here did two 3sals, 1 3loop, 2 3toes, and two 2ax (granted a few < and a miss on the loop). And four level 4 elements. I think its harmful to rule out skaters based on not having one jump, but Skate Canada is insane so...and the way they cling to skaters who routinely blow most of their jumps just because they once landed a 3lutz...I hope they have learned or will learn. I mean at one point they were willing to send out Mallet and Austman so...I guess u can always hope.

I will say that its great that Kaiya and Justine could kinda bomb the FS and the 3 medaling skates were still higher quality than we generally see at Challenge. I am glad for Fiona, Amy, and Sara-Maude and their new success. Interested to see where they can go from here.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Gabby's full post reads:
It’s with an extremely heavy heart that I announce I have to withdraw from Nationals due to a stress reaction in my back, It’s on top of a previous fracture.
I thought nothing of it when I competed at my 2 Grand Prix this year with it, I just thought it was simple back pain until I found out what the real problem was. I was told by my doctor it was dangerous for me to continue skating after Sheffield. It’s has been 5 weeks and I’m just starting to skate again
I will back to full strength soon and look forward to being back on the ice training. I wish you all Happy Holidays and all the best for 2023. Thank you all for the love and support, Good luck to everyone competing at Nationals 🤍
ETA that she also tweeted the same text: https://twitter.com/gabby_daleman/status/1606030670408519681

Last edited:

screech

I watched the last half of the ladies SP and I have to say I was impressed! It was a well-skated event.
Maddie clearly in front, but there are 5 ladies vying for 2nd, within 2 points of each other. The free should be an exciting event, and I hope it's just as well skated.

I'm hoping Lia is able to pace herself well. Especially since she's probably feeling quite a bit of excitement being 2nd after the ladies short. I hope she has time to calm and re-center herself before the pairs SP.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
The most interesting plot line to me is the junior worlds spot. So many skaters with the minimums and I wonder what Skate Canada will do.
Yes! I am guessing they could send Fiona or Kaiya? Can’t see them sending Lia as she is already doing double duty.

Sylvia

TBD
Canadian Press' Lori Ewing's Friday recap article includes this excerpt on Fiona Bombarder, 17: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...ting-championships-recap-jan13-2023-1.6713273
Bombardier's dad, Jean-Michel Bombardier, was a pairs skater for Canada. He and Chouinard were both in the audience Friday at Tribute Communities Centre. Fiona's twin brother Noah skated until he grew out of a pair of skates when he was 12.
"That was the end of it," Bombardier said of her brother. "He didn't want to keep going."
Bombardier said she's barely even seen video of her mom competing. She recalled watching a YouTube clip of Chouinard at an Olympics — either Albertville (1992) or Lillehammer ('94), she didn't know which.
Chouinard was a three-time Canadian champion, and finished fifth at two world championships. While Bombardier said her mom is an inspiration, she is carving her own career.
"She does not pressure me into skating. She just allows me to do what I love to do and she's just there on the sidelines supporting me no matter what," said Bombardier, who hopes to be a vet after she's done skating.
"I created my own look. As I said, I didn't watch many videos of her skating. And she doesn't show me."

Karen-W

So, with today's results... Who gets the 3rd spot for 4CCs?

I'd say the choice is between Daleman (if healthy by then) and Dupuis. Thoughts?

Stupid of Skate Canada to not have made sure Bombardier has the senior TES mins.

Gabrielle DALEMANCANISU GP Skate Canada International 202228/10/202235.82SISU Four Continents Championships 202222/01/202256.15S
Sara-Maude DUPUISCANISU CS IceChallenge 202211/11/202226.01SISU CS IceChallenge 202212/11/202254.21S
Justine MICLETTECANISU CS IceChallenge 202211/11/202233.73SISU CS IceChallenge 202212/11/202251.41S
Kaiya RUITERCANISU CS IceChallenge 202211/11/202230.96SISU CS IceChallenge 202212/11/202261.19S
Madeline SCHIZASCANXXIV Olympic Winter Games 202206/02/202237.56SXXIV Olympic Winter Games 202207/02/202267.53S

skatingguy

decently
Stupid of Skate Canada to not have made sure Bombardier has the senior TES mins.
The decision is that Bombardier is a junior skater this season. If there were no senior TES minimums for ISU Championships Bombardier would still not be going to Four Continents because the plan was always for her to skate at the junior events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information