2022–23 Canadian Women: News and Updates

Habs

A bitch from Canada
That was a nice, 24-hr delusion for our Canadian friends. I knew it wouldn't last, based on what I saw out of Gabby at the Barrie sectional competition a couple weeks ago. I was hoping Maddie would bounce back from her disastrous Nebelhorn FS, though.
I know you like to diss Canadians (there is a pattern here…. ;) ) but I don’t know of ANYONE who thought this was a normal result.

DreamSkates

I was LOL when in the interview Daleman said she didn’t need to work on anything technically. I’m sorry but other than the 3-3 her jumps are a hot mess. Very loose air position and a leg wrap.
Well whatever she was thinking in the interview she’s now thinking differently about. Hope she has a better outing at her next GP.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I found the technical panel (and judges to a lesser extent) obviously working very hard to maneuver Schizas and Daleman to the top two places in the short program. They would have been better off and under less pressure if the short program was judged fairly (perhaps ranked 2nd and 4th or 5th after the SP).

euterpe

Well whatever she was thinking in the interview she’s now thinking differently about. Hope she has a better outing at her next GP.
Her next one is in two weeks in GBR. Doesn't give her much time to work out the kinks.
I don't remember the last time she landed a clean 3z with any amplitude.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Wow Fiona Bomardier was 19th after the short program in Graz (she fell on the lutz, so no combo and then fell on a spin) but she finished 2nd in the free and moved up to 6th overall. Landry and Foster both underperformed though. Landry missed the jr worlds TES minimum in the free (so did Foster but she already has them from last year). Foster did much better on her JGP last year. Hopefully the seniors will do better (short program is tomorrow).

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Miclette had a great skate and is second after the short program at Ice Challenge! She easily got the worlds TES minimums. Full rotations.
Kaiya Ruiter just missed the worlds TES minimums by a little over a point. She was also given credit for rotation and even did her triple triple in the second half. She didn't get a lot of GOE.
Sara-Maude Dupuis got the 4CC minimums but didn't have a great skate, stepping out on her triple toe and managing a triple loop double toe combo.
Interesting that Miclette also had a huge PCS advantage compared to the other Canadians in the event.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Miclette had a great skate and is second after the short program at Ice Challenge! She easily got the worlds TES minimums. Full rotations.
Kaiya Ruiter just missed the worlds TES minimums by a little over a point. She was also given credit for rotation and even did her triple triple in the second half. She didn't get a lot of GOE.
Sara-Maude Dupuis got the 4CC minimums but didn't have a great skate, stepping out on her triple toe and managing a triple loop double toe combo.
Interesting that Miclette also had a huge PCS advantage compared to the other Canadians in the event.
Ruiter was so stylish & musical, in addition to technically capable. She was ridiculously under-marked, IMO…but remains in the first group.

Miclette skated much later and was perfectly marked.

BOTH wore gorgeous red dresses. 🇨🇦 🇨🇦

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Is Miclette straight from juniors? Did she not have enough world standing points or something to qualify for a senior Grand Prix?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Or even a host spot at skate Canada since they only had two entries?
She was on the JGP last year and this year and went to jr worlds. She did not have a score high enough to get a Grand Prix invite and couldn’t be a host pick as she already did a JGP this season.
Here’s hoping for a good free skate. Internationally she has a much better track record in the short.

Seerek

The Canadian judge had Kaiya Ruiter 1st in components in the SP (and 2nd overall), while the other judges had her 11th-19th in components. A rather wild set of rankings all around.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Ruiter won the free skate in Graz to finish second overall.
Miclette and Dupuis all set ISU personal bests in the free and overall. They finished 5th and 11th overall. All are eligible for 4CC now but no one got the worlds minimums in both segments.
Selection for 4CC and jr worlds will be very interesting.

Reveries

Ruiter was so stylish & musical, in addition to technically capable. She was ridiculously under-marked, IMO…but remains in the first group.

Miclette skated much later and was perfectly marked.

BOTH wore gorgeous red dresses. 🇨🇦 🇨🇦
I agree I think Ruiter was underscored in the SP. To the judges that overlooked her in the SP, she proved she belonged in the top group in the LP.

honey

Much better outing today. She’s put in the training over the last month. She looked very confident in her jumps today, despite the couple mistakes.

I do wish she could seek some outside input though on her overall skating skills, posture and packaging. There are certain things in her skating that are going to prevent her from breaking over the barrier into a contender. And they haven’t really been addressed in three seasons now. She has the talent to go far, but there are limitations right now. It’s all easier said than done, but I can’t help but feel that it’s time for some kind of a change.

Great job at this competition though. She showed some fight and spirit and produced solid skates.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I think Maddie is still thinking through her programs and doing well but she has not reached the stage yet that she is fully showing off her choreography and artistic side. Not sure how much that packaging would make a difference? Each time she is out she shows more of her artistry, especially with the long program. She doesn’t really do any musical interpretation (not the hand gestures lol) until about 70% through the program. I remember with Joannie it took a few years before she was settled with her nerves and confident before we really saw her sell a program. Maddie just needs a bit more cooking!

kalamalka

Glad to see that Kaiya now has a beautiful smile!
I thought she always did have a beautiful smile, and expressed her joy in skating (as she did in that piece). From her description of the leg injury (and scar tissue problem), it's no wonder it took her a long time to come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information