U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Excellent article by Helene Elliott on what may lie ahead for Knierim & Frazier with comments from Tai Babilonia and Jenny Meno:

Interesting that Meno thinks they could aim for 2026. My expectation was one, maybe two more years, but I'd really love to seem them stick around longer, especially if Russia is out of competition for the next Olympic cycle.

sk9tingfan

Interesting that Meno thinks they could aim for 2026. My expectation was one, maybe two more years, but I'd really love to seem them stick around longer, especially if Russia is out of competition for the next Olympic cycle.
When Alexa first started skating with Brandon, I had a conversation with her mom who thought they should shoot for another 4 years beyond Beijing. But that doesn't necessarily mean Alexa thinks that's a good idea.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Excellent article by Helene Elliott on what may lie ahead for Knierim & Frazier with comments from Tai Babilonia and Jenny Meno:

Tai Babilonia's comments:
Babilonia plans to be in Anaheim on Saturday, too. She feels linked to Knierim and Frazier through a glittery thread spun by renowned coach John Nicks, now 93. He coached Babilonia and Gardner to their world title and later coached Jenni Meno and Todd Sand, who now coach Knierim and Frazier and other pairs.
“It’s like, ‘Yeah, that’s what it’s supposed to look like,’” Babilonia said. “That’s the kind of pair skating I love, when it becomes, as I say, two as one. And Alexa and Brandon have it. I call it the Nicks legacy.”
Babilonia, 62, said that if she were in their position she would stop competing. “If they don’t continue, I mean, look what they have to show. And if they do, I wish them the best of luck,” she said. “But we had a lot more options back then.
“It will be interesting to see where they take it and what decision they make. But right now, ride that wave. Work it, ride it, embrace it. I told them, ‘You guys embrace every second of this. You earned it.’ It’s amazing.”
Photo of Alexa, Brandon & Chris Knierim with Babilonia before the Anaheim SOI show: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd2NTpWOhpM/

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
My question would surround whether or not she wants kids. She's 30. Although plenty of women have had kids after age 35.

I think they have much more they can give to the sport. I think it will be what are the rest of my life goals

once_upon

I had both of my kids after 35. One came after 40. She has plenty of time.
I know. I meant she may have different thoughts. I was not trying to say she would be too old.

One of my kids was born after I was 35.

once_upon

I’m sorry I jumped to conclusions. A lot times, people mean "she's too old" at 30, and that makes me a little touchy. 😊
Gotcha. My OB doctor referred to me as an elderly pregnant woman (it took me about 2 visits to realize he was joking because he, his wife and I were the same age and she was due the same month as me).

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Anyone remember Keri Blakinger? I came across her new book Corrections in Ink, and the description said she was a promising skater before becoming addicted to drugs, going to prison, and then becoming a reporter covering the justice system. I couldn't find much on Google about her skating career except that she used to skate pairs with Mark Ladwig. Anyway, here's the link to her book for anyone interested!

Sylvia

Anyone remember Keri Blakinger?
Yes, I remember her redemptive story! I was planning to post about her new book in another GSD thread - would you mind cross-posting there please? thanks for re-posting :) in the Skating Books thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/skating-books.107335/page-2#post-6260294

ETA that Keri Lynn Blakinger & Ladwig competed twice at U.S. Novice Nationals (5th in 2000 & 2001) and Mark recently shared her book in his Instagram story.

Last edited:

Trillian

ETA that Keri Lynn Blakinger & Ladwig competed twice at U.S. Novice Nationals (5th in 2000 & 2001) and Mark recently shared her book in his Instagram story.

I’m not sure if I ever saw them skate together, but I do remember Keri’s name from those days and it’s nice that Mark is supporting her. I think her memoir could end up being a pretty big deal - she has an interesting backstory, but she’s also a talented journalist who’s done some important work on prison reform and related issues. I’m hoping she’ll find a really wide audience with this book.

Carolla5501

Gotcha. My OB doctor referred to me as an elderly pregnant woman (it took me about 2 visits to realize he was joking because he, his wife and I were the same age and she was due the same month as me).
Actually he really wasn’t joking. The medical term often used is geriatric pregnancy

Sylvia

USFS is holding a pairs camp in Fort Wayne, Indiana this week.

Ashley Cain is sharing IG story clips & photos and is one of the athlete instructors, along with Chris Knierim, Danny O'Shea, Brian Johnson and AJ Reiss (pictured together in in her first of 5 photos): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cellp3Wrzl3/

Pair teams attending include McBeath/Bartholomay, Plazas/Fernandez, Baram/Tioumentsev, Wessenberg/Eisenach (saw a nice throw triple loop from them in a clip to "Malaguena") - photo of these 4 teams with coaches Peterson & Evora, posted on P/F's joint account: https://www.instagram.com/p/CekCZXQDOAM/

sk9tingfan

Actually he really wasn’t joking. The medical term often used is geriatric pregnancy

To give some perspective, when I did my maternal/Child health rotation in 1970, the definition of what was called an "elderly" prima gravida was 30. It points out changes as to when women pursue pregnancy over the last 50 years. (yikes for me!) :yikes:

love skating

Clueless American
USFS is holding a pairs camp in Fort Wayne, Indiana this week.

Ashley Cain is sharing IG story clips & photos and is one of the athlete instructors, along with Chris Knierim, Danny O'Shea, Brian Johnson and AJ Reiss (pictured together in in her first of 5 photos): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cellp3Wrzl3/
Aww, that first pic makes me kinda sad... so many retirements/splits represented in that pic!

Karen-W

Aww, that first pic makes me kinda sad... so many retirements/splits represented in that pic!
Perhaps, but also a lot of experience there - hopefully they'll remain in the sport and help raise the level for the next generation. I'm excited about the clips I've seen of Plazas/Fernandez this week - they're showing some good improvement!

maureenfarone

Anyone know if Danny O'Shea is going to be competing with a new partner? I recall that GPI had a going away party for him a few weeks ago but didn't specify if he was leaving to coach or compete in different location.

I wonder why Timothy is not pictured.

Karen-W

^Jeebus, so the US is completely out of pairs teams
Last time I checked Knierim/Frazier are still together - we just don't know what their plans for the next season or quad are - and they just came off the US SOI tour less than 2 weeks ago, so they haven't had time to take a vacation let alone sit down and figure out their future.

Chan/Howe, who won silver at 4CCs are also still together, as are Smirnova/Siianytsia, who came in 4th at Jr Worlds despite battling Covid and family stress this winter/spring. Plus, McBeath/Bartholomay and Plazas/Fernandez are entering their 2nd seasons together and both showed good promise last year.

It's definitely a time of transition though, from one generation to the next, and we'll have to wait and see what some of these new pairings look like once they start competing at the summer comps like Indy, Glacier Falls, and Cranberry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information