Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

Scott512

I think it's important to remember that we don't know the depth, or extent of the situation in Sambo-70, and the Nasser case started with one survivor coming forward.
True.

But how long will the sambo-70 case take two months 6 months 12 months or more? The fifteen-year-old minor age athlete who's supposed to be protected by the ioc and Wada needs to know her future plans even if that means discipline against her. It may take some time I don't know if that will be good for anybody. I think if somebody did wrongdoing as an adult they should come forward to take their punishment and be fired from sambo-70. But that's jumping the gun we don't really know details we know a lot of speculation.

Everything is hush-hush I don't know which way it will go or what will happen. But I don't expect it to turn into the Nasser situation how which was tragic and unprecedented.

Sylvia

TBD
But how long will the sambo-70 case take two months 6 months 12 months or more? The fifteen-year-old minor age athlete who's supposed to be protected by the ioc and Wada needs to know her future plans even if that means discipline against her.
This probably is not the right or best thread to discuss Valieva since Russia doesn't have any kind of "SafeSport" program that we know of...

I suggest using this one in GSD for now:

Last edited:

Scott512

This probably is not the right or best thread to discuss Valieva since Russia doesn't have any kind of "SafeSport" program that we know of...

I suggest using this one in GSD for now:
Maybe not discuss Kamila here but its shocking how many problems there are with some countries keeping their athlete safe. Very sad. These issues of safety and in some cases sexual abuse are much bigger than a positive drug test. Both are very bad but one is much much worse.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I read the article on Safe Sport and I can see two changes they could make right away that would dramatically improve things.

(1) Don't take people out of the database when their punishment expires. We don't purge criminals' records when they get out of prison/finish probation. Why are we purging people from the Safe Sport database?

(2) Don't use that rotating pool of arbitrators. Use someone like CAS who understands sports and will have some consistency in their judgments.

Trillian

Maybe not discuss Kamila here but its shocking how many problems there are with some countries keeping their athlete safe. Very sad. These issues of safety and in some cases sexual abuse are much bigger than a positive drug test. Both are very bad but one is much much worse.

I think that treating the problems like they’re all separate issues and ranking some as more serious than others is a big part of what allows these things to keep happening. There is an underlying problem with figure skating (and some other sports, and to some extent the world as a whole) in which the bodily autonomy of children, especially but not exclusively girls, isn’t respected and their long-term health isn’t prioritized. Adults in positions of responsibility are more interested in using these children for their own gain than in protecting them, and other adults (including many fans) are complicit because they celebrate those adults rather than recognizing the harm that they’re causing. Rampant eating disorders and overuse injuries and sexual abuse and doping are all equally problematic because they’re all the same problem. Children are getting hurt for the enjoyment and personal gain of adults.

Scott512

I think that treating the problems like they’re all separate issues and ranking some as more serious than others is a big part of what allows these things to keep happening. There is an underlying problem with figure skating (and some other sports, and to some extent the world as a whole) in which the bodily autonomy of children, especially but not exclusively girls, isn’t respected and their long-term health isn’t prioritized. Adults in positions of responsibility are more interested in using these children for their own gain than in protecting them, and other adults (including many fans) are complicit because they celebrate those adults rather than recognizing the harm that they’re causing. Rampant eating disorders and overuse injuries and sexual abuse and doping are all equally problematic because they’re all the same problem. Children are getting hurt for the enjoyment and personal gain of adults.
While we agree on many points I'm not really interested in making this problem more serious than that problem. To me some are clearly more horrible than others although all are terrible. We do agree on the adults are usually the problem. The heads of federations know how to politic the coaches know how to coach and sometimes probably most of the time not much else and the skaters know how to skate there are gaps there and that's where some of these problems can happen. The federation's want results coaches want results the skaters want to win.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
A preliminary inquiry has been scheduled for September for this Canadian coach:
The preliminary inquiry has been set for a suspended figure skating coach facing sexual assault charges.

28-year-old Matt Power was charged last summer with sexual interference, sexual assault, making sexually explicit material available to a child, and luring a child. He has remained free on court conditions since then.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
A WA skating director says she was terminated by the ice rink in retaliation due to her testimony and follow-up regarding a SafeSport case. It sounds like she took the steps she was supposed to take. It also notes one of her recommendations to rink management was for (gasp!) transparency, but they were not receptive to the suggestion:
That alleged assault took place on Oct. 9, 2021, at a house party hosted by a Sno-King coach. In total, seven Sno-King coaches and the Snoqualmie facility manager, all of whom are adults, were in attendance. McPherson and Van Hulle were also invited, but did not attend, according to the lawsuit.

According to the lawsuit, the party involved heavy drinking and the 17-year-old became intoxicated and fell asleep. She was woken up by Janusz McKinnon, a Sno-King coach, who sexually assaulted her for over an hour, according to the lawsuit.

The 17-year-old, who has been coached by McPherson since she was six, reported the incident to her the following day. McPherson and Van Hulle subsequently filed a report with the Snoqualmie Police Department on her behalf. They also each filed separate reports with the U.S. Center for SafeSport, opening an investigation into the incident.
Since the alleged assault, McKinnon has been fired by Sno-King and had his membership with the U.S. Figure Skating temporarily suspended as he remains under investigation by SafeSport. He has been charged in municipal court with assault in the fourth degree and supplying liquor to a minor, according to the Issaquah Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

floxability

A WA skating director says she was terminated by the ice rink in retaliation due to her testimony and follow-up regarding a SafeSport case. It sounds like she took the steps she was supposed to take. It also notes one of her recommendations to rink management was for (gasp!) transparency, but they were not receptive to the suggestion:
As a coach in the area, that was not why she was fired. There’s a reason no other rink in the area will hire her, and it is because she has burned every bridge possible. Example of her behavior, screaming at her staff that they weren’t real coaches or dedicated because that didn’t want to teach learn to skate 7 days a week.

Last edited:

okokok777

Christine Brennan article:

Ross Miner has received another suspension from SafeSport. This time, it was for 'Abuse of Process' and will last 3 months.

https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1510613207022460928

On March 31, 2022, the U.S. Center for SafeSport issued the following Sanction regarding Ross Miner:

Sanction: Suspension. Ross Miner is prohibited for three (3) months from participating, in any capacity, in any event, program, activity, or competition authorized by, organized by, or under the auspices of the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USOPC), the National Governing Bodies recognized by the USOPC, a Local Affiliated Organization as defined by the Code, or at a facility under the jurisdiction of the same.

Pursuant to U.S. Figure Skating Bylaw Article XXV, Section 2, U.S. Figure Skating hereby adopts the Sanction imposed by the Center temporarily suspending Ross Miner effective March 31, 2022.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In Canada, there have now been enough complaints about sport organizations investigating themselves (and doing a crap job of it) that the federal government is setting up an independent investigative body similar to SafeSport. The head of it - the "sport integrity commissioner" - has just been appointed.

Also, a group of sport researchers is asking the federal sports minister to review the Own The Podium program, on the basis that using medals as the main measure of performance leads to unhealthy training environments. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/former-ar...-first-sport-integrity-commissioner-1.6409749

Vagabond

It took SafeSport fourteen months to investigate and suspend him. That is a very long time to let someone continue to coach after being accused of biting and throwing hot water and coffee at his clients.

skatfan

It took SafeSport fourteen months to investigate and suspend him. That is a very long time to let someone continue to coach after being accused of biting and throwing hot water and coffee at his clients.
Was he coaching somewhere?

Aaron MB Fan

I have no idea. But he certainly could have been coaching, inasmuch as he wasn't suspended until now.
Agreed. TJ Nyman is another example. I believe he is/was under investigation by Safe Sport. Not sure if the investigation has concluded yet or not. I don’t believe it has. Yet TJ was hired by the International Ice Academy of Colorado. He is actively coaching minors now: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbD71HhLAGa/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

D

Deleted member 221

Oppegard had a long history of questionable behavior - some of which was public.

OTOH, I can understand why investigations of events that happened 8+ years ago take more than a year to investigate. Memories fade, details become fuzzy, and substantiation becomes harder.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Normally I would probably agree, but since these cases had to do with actual physical assaults, I'm all for them taking the affidavits and getting on with it. There were either bite marks or there weren't. People either saw them or they didn't. They ought to be able to act sooner than 14 months to protect skaters. Between the two articles, it reads like there were cooperating witnesses once they were notified.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Normally I would probably agree, but since these cases had to do with actual physical assaults, I'm all for them taking the affidavits and getting on with it. There were either bite marks or there weren't. People either saw them or they didn't. They ought to be able to act sooner than 14 months to protect skaters.

It should be sooner, but maybe this is yet another example of Safe Sport being under-resourced and not being able to conduct a preliminary investigation quickly enough to support a quicker suspension.

tylersf

Will choreographers who deliberately give skaters bad choreography also receive a SafeSport violation?
Or designers who deliberately make skaters look horrible with bad costumes also receive a SafeSport violation?

Trillian

Will choreographers who deliberately give skaters bad choreography also receive a SafeSport violation?
Or designers who deliberately make skaters look horrible with bad costumes also receive a SafeSport violation?

Probably. If coaches can’t get away with effective and well-established coaching techniques like biting their students anymore, who knows what “cancel culture” is going to attack next.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
That's really not funny, given the mental and physical abuse of athletes that SafeSport investigates.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
It should be sooner, but maybe this is yet another example of Safe Sport being under-resourced and not being able to conduct a preliminary investigation quickly enough to support a quicker suspension.
The original article noted the athlete did not file a complaint with SafeSport but did an interview with the investigator in 2020. If the athlete and two other witnesses provided a statement with the same level of detail provided to CB (perhaps they did not), then I would be very interested in the rationale for delayed action.

All things considered, in cases involving assault, child or sex abuse, if credible statements are available, it seems like it would be better to see an interim suspension or some other action/notification even if it ends up being overturned later.

Sylvia posted that article by ESPN a few months ago about the struggles of SafeSport that noted almost half the decisions are being overturned or reduced on appeal, often due to technicalities and other questionable reasons. While that continues to be the case, at least posting an interim ruling serves as a notification by default. If advocating for the safety of athletes is the priority, it's a workaround that would help them make informed decisions.

twizzletoes76

That's really not funny, given the mental and physical abuse of athletes that SafeSport investigates.
Agreed—that comment was in poor taste as it negates the seriousness of the types of crimes Safesport investigates.

As for choreographers who do bad choreography and designers who do bad designs—we can give them FSU violations—but that’s it. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information