Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I feel like every season there is a rumor P/K have split. Maybe eventually it will come true. When B/K were struggling I wondered if we may see Daria and Dima team up, but then B/K looked so good last weekend and beat M/G.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They skated at the Channel 1 Cup last week.
That could simply be them choosing to finish off the season and receive the funding, even with the knowledge they didn't want to continue as a team next season.

Karen-W

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

soogar

And there is also rumour that Pavliuschenko/Khodykin have split up. Not sure if the rumour is true.
NOOOOO!!!!! This team had the most interesting tricks and choreography. They really looked like they had a good working relationship. I wonder if that had something to do with Khodykin's break up with their choreographer.

soogar

I really enjoy Mark's skating. He gives it everything, performance-wise, and was cheering like crazy for his fellow athletes in the K & S, too.
Mark is amazing. He is such a well rounded person with a lot of interests. I feel like he has a good team behind him and a healthy attitude toward sport. I wouldn't be so disappointed if Russia kept its team medal just so he can get an Olympic medal.

I was also excited to see Tuk skate so well in Channel One with her new short program. She too exemplifies having a mature, positive attitude towards sport and emotional resilience. That kind of perserverence and positive attitude inspires me.

DreamSkates

I imagine it would depend on how desperate USFS is to have a gold medalists in Women's FS.

I could envision it happening.
I think there would be a major uproar of fans and coaches not to mention mass exodus of many skaters who do not want to be associate with a federation supporting this kind of coaching.

hanca

Values her privacy
I think there would be a major uproar of fans and coaches not to mention mass exodus of many skaters who do not want to be associate with a federation supporting this kind of coaching.
Would there? I don’t want to sound cynical, but I wouldn’t be surprised if as soon as Tutberidze wears US team jackets, everyone will suddenly paint a hallo above her head. We saw something similar with Medvedeva - while skating in Russia and winning gold medals, there was awful lot of hate towards her from across the pond, but as soon as she moved for coaching to Orser, suddenly she was the golden girl for the fans over there.

slicekw

Searching for a great dog park.
Would there? I don’t want to sound cynical, but I wouldn’t be surprised if as soon as Tutberidze wears US team jackets, everyone will suddenly paint a hallo above her head. We saw something similar with Medvedeva - while skating in Russia and winning gold medals, there was awful lot of hate towards her from across the pond, but as soon as she moved for coaching to Orser, suddenly she was the golden girl for the fans over there.
Ummmm, no?
More like we felt bad that she'd aged out of Eteri's program and was pushed out of the nest.
Trust me, I saw her in the US Grand Prix before Orser and she was VERY popular with the fans. Her popularity grew naturally over the years, plus North Americans love an underdog, and she was seen as one when Eteri was done with her.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:lol: I can guarantee she'd have all the students she wants in the US. Anybody who thinks otherwise are deluding themselves. And, I can totally see Raf adding her to his rink or Shiplband or Malinina or a whole lot of other coaches.

Karen-W

:lol: I can guarantee she'd have all the students she wants in the US. Anybody who thinks otherwise are deluding themselves. And, I can totally see Raf adding her to his rink or Shiplband or Malinina or a whole lot of other coaches.
Shpilband yes, Raf or Malinina no. There have been enough interviews from Raf where it comes across pretty clearly that he doesn't really agree with her methods or the poor quad jump technique of a lot of her skaters, so I doubt he'd want her at Great Parks as part of his team. And, given we know Ilia's been working with Raf during vacations, plus his jump technique is much better than anything we've seen from a Team Tutberidze skater, I can't see Tatyana & Roman wanting Eteri anywhere near them. But, given that Diana & Gleb are in Michigan with Igor, and there doesn't seem to be a strong singles program out there nowadays, I could see her getting a welcome.

Lanja

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but Sinitsina and Katsalapov have signed a sponsor contract with the clothing company Zasport. This company has made ROC gear for the past few Olys and also signed Evgeny Rylov (swimmer dumped by his former sponsor Speedo), Sergei Kariakin (chess player banned by FIS for his open support of the war), and Ivan Kuliak (the gymnast who appeared on the podium with Z on his chest).

Zasport is owned by the daughter of an FSB general.

Article in Norwegian

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Is he Ukrainian? His name is. Certainly more international opportunities these days if he could skate for Ukraine.
Pluschenko hears you with his `Ukrainian' last name.

Anyway, reading Zhulin's telegram is a way to lose weight - I keep puking.
`I think no one would ever hear of Lepiso if she was not speaking about our athletes. These poor people gain PR that way. So now I know who Lepisto is. Kudos to her. Say hello, let her say something else'.

Under which rock exactly was that idiot living???

Bigbird

Pluschenko hears you with his `Ukrainian' last name.

Anyway, reading Zhulin's telegram is a way to lose weight - I keep puking.
`I think no one would ever hear of Lepiso if she was not speaking about our athletes. These poor people gain PR that way. So now I know who Lepisto is. Kudos to her. Say hello, let her say something else'.

Under which rock exactly was that idiot living???
Why are we so surprized about Old Man Zhulin so much? He's always been like this, a classic narcissist.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Zasport's stuff is ugly anyway. What ever happened to Bosco Sport who used to design the Russian uniforms? Their stuff was great. I still have a 2010 Olympic uniform from them somewhere.
I agree, the Zasport Olympic stuff Tiff gave to me is cheap and tacky and falling apart.

All of the Bosco stuff is great quality, stylish and hardwearing

Ka3sha

Zasport has been named this way since 2012. Nepotism and FSB daughter (so big Olympics contracts) yes, but until the day before yesterday and that special event it had nothing to do with the Z letter.

Upd.: I must say that I briefly checked their Telegram channel now, and they didn’t post anything about politics or current situation. Just some usual words like “we support our athletes”, “look at our uniform” and etc.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The “Lovers of Figure skating” gala at the Megasport Arena, Moscow, is going on now live:

Hopefully it will be repeated as I just chanced on it now. Most of the current eligibles (incl Mark!) and a few veterans (Yags, Tot/Marinin) are taking part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information