Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

Sure, she wants to be with Diana. As a mother I get that.

I dont want her near/coaching any skater at any level.

Doping, eating disorders, over use and pushing physical limits - Just Say No.
I wonder if that was simply her TOR for the post?

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I think it is quite optimistic. If the economic situation continues going downhill, there won’t be money for funding skating schools. Skaters won’t be funded and therefore not many parents will send children to have skating lessons (from the youngest age). From the older ones, not everyone will be able to continue skating. The age group novice/younger junior may be most inclined to give up, because they haven’t put in as much effort and money as those who are at elite level. Skaters need roughly one set of boots and one set of blades per year (some skater even two pair of boots). As far as I am aware, there are no skating boots and blades manufactured in Russia. A pair of boots cost roughly £500, a pair of blade £250, I can’t see how parents are going to be able to afford that with the ruble falling to record lows.

Boots for elite skaters cost far, far more than that. Many if not most elites are in custom boots, which cost more than stock boots. There is not one pair of blades made for elite skaters that cost anywhere near as little as 250. Even very advanced skaters who have not made the elite level yet are going to need equipment that cost far more than what you have quoted.

Normally, the Russian Skating Federation pays for X numbers of pairs of boots/blades per year for elite track skaters. They also pay for costumes, your ice time, your coaching, etc. I don't know what will happen in the future, of course; but this is how it's been done.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Seems like last time I got boots and blades (non custom) for my daughter, it was about $1200 US. I think the fees were somewhat split between the 2.
Thank you for the information.
That is a lot. My custom riding boots are about $2000.00. I cannot get non-custom boots. I have a large foot, and not large legs. I am left with a gap you could put a couple of snacks into. Or, I guess you could fit a couple of ribbons in.

concorde

Thank you for the information.
That is a lot. My custom riding boots are about $2000.00. I cannot get non-custom boots. I have a large foot, and not large legs. I am left with a gap you could put a couple of snacks into. Or, I guess you could fit a couple of ribbons in.
When she is skating alot, she needed new boots about every 6-9 months. Blades lasted about a year.

Rafter

Curious how these skaters who are Russian and train in Russia, but skate for other counties, made it to worlds? I see Morisi went through Italy. Ryabova was coachless in the K&C presumably because her Russian parents/coaches couldn’t get to France?

AxelAnnie

When she is skating alot, she needed new boots about every 6-9 months. Blades lasted about a year.
I have often wondered who originally started the propaganda "Get married and have children" It is what life is about. They left off the part about.....and your life as you know it will end.
I think it was a plot perpetrated by the mothers wanting to make sure we found out what it was like, and what it took.

Now, I would never have changed a thing. But the real reason to have children is to get grandchildren! They make it worth it.....even if you are in the poor house.

And BTW equestrienne sports are not cheap.....and on top of all the equipment, you have to buy the horse - mucho dinero. And the horse could take a wrong step and become lame. Such fun.

For no particular reason, it would be fun to map out the cost and trajectory of both sports. Interesting they are both judged sports......making it even more serendipitous.

starrynight

I agree. I can't see any American teams or single skaters going anywhere near her. I just had a horrible thought; what if she tries to go to Israel since they are so on the fence regarding Russia and Putin?

Israeli posters would obviously know more. But as I understand it, Israel’s position regarding taking sides is very influenced by the complicated and immediate Middle East security situation on their doorstep. So not so much any indication that Eteri would be welcomed with open arms. I have read that vast numbers of Ukraine refugees have entered the country.

At any rate I believe Israel has maybe two or three full sized rinks? The main elite training happens from Hackensack New Jersey and is run by Galit Chait and Boris Chait. Doubt Eteri could take over that.

And coaching in Israel itself? If they’d have her, it would be grass roots small Fed coaching. Would be far more lucrative to go the USA - more rinks, more skaters.

But the one thing I know about Eteri is that it’s all about her. Unlike some coaches who operate in the background, Eteri has branded all of this #TeamTutberidze. Doubt that she’d accept fading into oblivion. It’d be down to where could offer her the best conditions.

I do actually think for the time being, Russia is still it for her. The shows are happening, the TV events are still on and she’s a star. I think it’ll be a little while before that fades. Just depends on how long the money lasts

concorde

I have often wondered who originally started the propaganda "Get married and have children" It is what life is about. They left off the part about.....and your life as you know it will end.
I think it was a plot perpetrated by the mothers wanting to make sure we found out what it was like, and what it took.

Now, I would never have changed a thing. But the real reason to have children is to get grandchildren! They make it worth it.....even if you are in the poor house.

And BTW equestrienne sports are not cheap.....and on top of all the equipment, you have to buy the horse - mucho dinero. And the horse could take a wrong step and become lame. Such fun.

For no particular reason, it would be fun to map out the cost and trajectory of both sports. Interesting they are both judged sports......making it even more serendipitous.
My brother and I occassionally talk about it.

My brother's daughter rode horses. First hesold the city home to get the country home. Then built the barn and fenced in the area. Then got the thoroughbred but it got lonely so had to get pony. Pony got lonely when the the other horse was at shows so got the mule. Then thoroughbred got EPS amd later died; this was about the same time daughter went to college. Brother sold the farm and moved back to the city; his daughter now boards the pony (mule died sometime when she was in college).

From my daughter the ice skater, I just have alot of old dresses and a bunch of pairs of worn out skates (all stinky). Daughter just underwent hip surgery (genetic issue that came out due to skating, post puberty) and is planning on get back into skating once the doctor OKs it. So I expect another big bill for skates shortly.

AxelAnnie

My brother and I occassionally talk about it.

My brother's daughter rode horses. First hesold the city home to get the country home. Then built the barn and fenced in the area. Then got the thoroughbred but it got lonely so had to get pony. Pony got lonely when the the other horse was at shows so got the mule. Then thoroughbred got EPS amd later died; this was about the same time daughter went to college. Brother sold the farm and moved back to the city; his daughter now boards the pony (mule died sometime when she was in college).

From my daughter the ice skater, I just have alot of old dresses and a bunch of pairs of worn out skates (all stinky). Daughter just underwent hip surgery (genetic issue that came out due to skating, post puberty) and is planning on get back into skating once the doctor OKs it. So I expect another big bill for skates shortly.
You certainly nailed that! Most horrid words from a trainer "You know, your daughter is too big for that pony" OK - back to the currency printer I have in the back room.

myhoneyhoney

Some parents would accept her. Anything to get the kiddo to the Olympics, right? You know those types of parents are out there.

Vagabond

Curious how these skaters who are Russian and train in Russia, but skate for other counties, made it to worlds? I see Morisi went through Italy. Ryabova was coachless in the K&C presumably because her Russian parents/coaches couldn’t get to France?
There are still flights out of Russia to places like Istanbul, Tbilisi, and Dubai, where they can transfer to flights to Other countries.

Amy L

Did anyone see this? I would say our prayers have been answered but I know nothing about this guy. Is he better than Bazin?

He won a World Juniors bronze with Elizaveta Shanaeva, I really liked their FD that year.

shuilee

David Narizhny was born in Ukraine (though currently represents Russia). It'd certainly help Annabelle if she wants to represent USA to partner with a Ukrainian born skater.

Same for Diana Davis - if she wants to partner with Ukrainian born Vadym Kolesnik (if she chooses to represent USA).

David Narizhny was 2020 world junior bronze medalist, and Vadym Kolesnik was 2020 world junior gold medalist. Both would be excellent partners for Annabelle and Diana (if they choose to go that route).

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Some impressions from the Channel 1 Cup which I miraculously can watch even without a VPN:
  • It's not live, but delayed by like 45 minutes or something. I guess it's in order to have the time to cut "fake news" if they occur, like someone with a war poster or something like that.
  • S/K got over 93 points for their RD :lol:
  • Yagudin and the commentators still didn't get tired of calling Ignatov the "sex symbol of Men's skating" or emphasizing his good looks whenever possible (Yags actually asked him why he skated by so close to the judges "to look at their marks or to make all the women fall in love with you?")
  • Kolyada got 106 points for his clean SP with only one quad :rofl: He also provided me with the moment of the day when Yagudin was talking some bs to him, he just politely nodded and went away :rofl:.
  • Semenenko has a new SP to Albinoni's "Adagio" and got rid of the horrid "THIS WOMAN MAKES ME CRY!"-SP :cheer2: He was clean, and got 101 pts :lol:
  • Trankov still looks like Grindelwald
  • Mark Kondratiuk did a great quad lutz Rippon-style :eek: The progress this dude has made over the season is mind-blowing. Step-out of triple axel (yes, he threw himself kamikaze-style into the jump again :lol:), quad sal-double toe. He apparently won the individual jumping contest yesterday by doing a quad-quad-combination.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Pairs now:
  • Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin absolutely nailed their SP
  • T/M...blah...as usual. 86,something points
  • M/G charming as usual. I will miss this SP...no matter how often I have seen it. They got 85, something pts. Can Putler please stop his ****ing war so that no one has to die anymore and these wonderful pairs (except for T/M) can perform at international competitions again?
  • The commentators are going overboard with their patriotic comments. "Our skaters are even better now than at the Olympics!", "Our crowd is the happiest in the world because we have the best skaters!", "There are no other events where you get to see so many stars of figure skating. Olympic Champions, World Champions, European Champions, and...the most important...Russian Champions!", "It's the best thing to skate in front of your home crowd in RUSSIA!" etc.
  • B/K have new costumes for their Swan Lake SP. Will they keep it for next season? His costume looks like a pyjama. I think they also have a new ending pose. 84 pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information