Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

Interesting! So many teams split (or allegedly split). I wonder if it had anything to do with the blatant pushing of one team who definitely should not have been to highly placed and the others just figured there was no point in continuing.
Limited resources it seems. Best to choose a new path earlier rather than later. The banning of Russia from international competition may have also been a factor.

hanca

Values her privacy
The Russian skating situation is interesting to me as I am curious to see how the sport will continue with just Russian Cup domestic events and Russian Nationals for the foreseeable future. Unless something significant changes I don’t expect Russia will be at the next Olympics.

I think certainly for a period, lots of the skaters will be happy with the domestic events … certainly the juniors will be.

Perhaps sports will continue well in a domestic bubble for some time. The state of international competition might not impact the perception of skating particularly if access to news and videos is restricted due to social network bans.
I think it is quite optimistic. If the economic situation continues going downhill, there won’t be money for funding skating schools. Skaters won’t be funded and therefore not many parents will send children to have skating lessons (from the youngest age). From the older ones, not everyone will be able to continue skating. The age group novice/younger junior may be most inclined to give up, because they haven’t put in as much effort and money as those who are at elite level. Skaters need roughly one set of boots and one set of blades per year (some skater even two pair of boots). As far as I am aware, there are no skating boots and blades manufactured in Russia. A pair of boots cost roughly £500, a pair of blade £250, I can’t see how parents are going to be able to afford that with the ruble falling to record lows.

Nadya

The point is that the Russia thing isn’t virtue signalling.

The invasion of Ukraine is basically a tinder box and there’s a potential risk it could be the spark for a wider European war, world war or even nuclear war. The sanctions are about the world trying to slow down the economics and propaganda of the Russian war machine without resorting to armed conflict. This is because this war has the potential to spill over into something very dangerous for a lot of countries and it is within their power to effect sanctions.
Right....bc the war in Iraq was totally contained within one country and did not spill into Syria and Lebanon, like, at all. Surgical, I tell ya.

Carolla5501

Using history to justify current actions only proves that you are clueless 😂. If you didn’t like something thar happened in the past that doesn’t mean you have to continue to allow it to happen now. So if you’re saying”we let something wrong happen years ago so we should continue to let bad things happen”, I don’t even have words to respond how stupid that line of reasoning is.

You cannot use past history to justify actions that support the current action in the Ukraine How do you truly have no moral compass

If you watch the figure skating propaganda event in Russia you will be part of the problem. Look at the mirror and wave at someone who supported the actions in the Ukraine.

Really people, some of you can’t skip one figure skating event ? “Oh I want to be watching every event all year regardless of whether the propaganda says look people do not really care what we did, look at all those international viewers supporting our athletes who support our actions.”

Last edited:

carriecmu0503

I think it is quite optimistic. If the economic situation continues going downhill, there won’t be money for funding skating schools. Skaters won’t be funded and therefore not many parents will send children to have skating lessons (from the youngest age). From the older ones, not everyone will be able to continue skating. The age group novice/younger junior may be most inclined to give up, because they haven’t put in as much effort and money as those who are at elite level. Skaters need roughly one set of boots and one set of blades per year (some skater even two pair of boots). As far as I am aware, there are no skating boots and blades manufactured in Russia. A pair of boots cost roughly £500, a pair of blade £250, I can’t see how parents are going to be able to afford that with the ruble falling to record lows.
Boots for elite skaters cost far, far more than that. Many if not most elites are in custom boots, which cost more than stock boots. There is not one pair of blades made for elite skaters that cost anywhere near as little as 250. Even very advanced skaters who have not made the elite level yet are going to need equipment that cost far more than what you have quoted.

jlai

Question everything
this is very annoying. My provider doesn't get to dictate what I stream. I guess no more skating for me this year as I won't be watching Worlds.

The anti-Russian bias here on FSU has been building long before Putin decided to invade Ukraine, but oddly, I don't see any posters complaining about China or the Chinese skaters. If the Russians should be banned, so too should Sui/Han due to human rights.

Oh, well. The Russian skaters are posting links on IG to subscribe to their Telegram accounts.
Where have you been? People were rooting against Chinese athletes only a few years ago. Maybe not skating, but other sports. Maybe if you are not so focused on Russian athletes you will see that. I have had my share of discomfort when fans went on and on about rooting for Chinese athletes losing.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Since there are no real news the journalists are busy asking who is going and not oging to watch the Worlds. Moskvina as classy as always `Am not watching to see just the Russian skaters, I watch my colleagues and general progress of the sport'. Zhulin, Averbukh, Navka, Slutskaya can afford not to watch the sport, the progress etc and will skip watching.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Since there are no real news the journalists are busy asking who is going and not oging to watch the Worlds. Moskvina as classy as always `Am not watching to see just the Russian skaters, I watch my colleagues and general progress of the sport'. Zhulin, Averbukh, Navka, Slutskaya can afford not to watch the sport, the progress etc and will skip watching.
Moskvina, as always, shows us who the true grown-up in the "Russian Tea Room" is.

I❤️Marina&Sergai

I have always admired Moskvina, am sadly not surprised at the others as they never really tried to share learning or progress the sport.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Boots for elite skaters cost far, far more than that. Many if not most elites are in custom boots, which cost more than stock boots. There is not one pair of blades made for elite skaters that cost anywhere near as little as 250. Even very advanced skaters who have not made the elite level yet are going to need equipment that cost far more than what you have quoted.cou
Would you replace MORE with an actual number?

manhn

Where have you been? People were rooting against Chinese athletes only a few years ago. Maybe not skating, but other sports. Maybe if you are not so focused on Russian athletes you will see that. I have had my share of discomfort when fans went on and on about rooting for Chinese athletes losing.
In addition, there are the incidents of anti-Chinese/anti-Asian hate directed at just regular Chinese/Asian people.

Cachoo

And US propaganda and fabricated evidence has you believing that Iraq had flown those planes...
That wasn't my experience. The Cheney/Rumsfeld administration...oops I mean Bush...talked endlessly about weapons of mass destruction. I remember going to an evening lecture by one of the last UN weapons inspectors out of Iraq, an American man (I can't remember his name) who was shouting to whoever would listen that there were no weapons of mass destruction. But they wanted Hussein out of Iraq and Halliburton ($$$) into Iraq and proceeded to go in. There were people that associated Iraq with 9/11 and I don't think Cheney tried too hard to dissuade that at all. Years later I'm not sure what we have in Iraq. The Kurds seem happier, the Shia are glad to be rid of Hussein and of the US and the Sunnis seem to be the big losers in this. It was so bloody and then you see the rise of these groups like ISIS and the Islamic State. Will things settle down? Ever?

sk9tingfan

alexikeguchi

Washington Post article on Russian figure skaters promoting/backing Putin's war against Ukraine:

Other sports:

I got to wondering if sponsorships weren’t a big consideration in which skaters appeared (voluntarily or otherwise) at the rally. I’m not aware that the dancers or pairs have any outside Russia, but all three of the women do with Nike for Anna, Adidas for Sasha, and Puma for Kamila. RusFed and Sambo probably make some bank off those and don’t want to risk having the contracts canceled for moral turpitude.

morgan rye

Russia can't keep them in the country if they have passports for other countries - and any of them who competed at the Olympics will have them, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the Georgian team does too.
they can do whaat the want. the govt that is.

sk9tingfan

That is very interesting...but I do not want to see her coaching in the US.
I agree. I can't see any American teams or single skaters going anywhere near her. I just had a horrible thought; what if she tries to go to Israel since they are so on the fence regarding Russia and Putin?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Seriously interesting tweet posted about Eteri Tuberidze :watch::

That is very interesting...but I do not want to see her coaching in the US.

I agree. I can't see any American teams or single skaters going anywhere near her. I just had a horrible thought; what if she tries to go to Israel since they are so on the fence regarding Russia and Putin?
Well, now... Someone replied to the tweet "whistleblower Eteri did not have that on my 2022 FS bingo card" and someone else replied they didn't think that was likely, but... I could see it. If the rumors about Diana & Gleb switching are true, what better way to make for a warm welcome from the USFS than for Eteri to throw the RFSF under the bus with regards to doping and elevate Team USA to Team gold?

I don't want to see her coaching any US women though unless she leaves Danny G behind in Russia and uses better choreographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information