Thoroughbred Racing 2022

skipaway

Just a new thread for our new year.
Next week is Pegasus World Cup. Updated List

Love the Knicks Go - Life is Good matchup….speed, speed, speed!

sk8pics

Yesterday (or maybe the day before) Midnight Bourbon and Mandaloun had their 5th or 6th matchup. Mandaloun won this one. I think he has a slight edge of Midnight Bourbon, who I have always liked. Anyway, those two were far ahead of the rest of the field. Seems like they’re starting their 4-year-old year in good form.

sk8pics

And wow, Life is Good took off and played catch-me-if-you-can and no one could. Awesome race for him. Knicks Go finished second, no disgrace to him, and now he’s off to stud. :smokin:

skipaway

I’d like Life is Good to go to Dubai, but there’s talk of him meeting Flightline in the Met Mile.

sk8pics

I’d like Life is Good to go to Dubai, but there’s talk of him meeting Flightline in the Met Mile.
It may be just talk. The article I read today was kind of the other way around, that he might go to Dubai but that would mean he wouldn’t go in the Met Mile. We’ll see!

sk8pics

Hot Rod Charlie turned in a dominating performance in his prep race for the Dubai World Cup. He looked wonderful!

sk8pics

Banned substance means disqualification. I am sad for MS, but it is the right decision.
I am really sad for Medina Spirit, and for his owners and his breeder, who is a small operation and bred her horse of a lifetime. Barbara Livingston has been posting some haunting photos of him; he really had a sensitive eye.

I can see the rationale for the decision, but at the same time, I thought the additional testing provided pretty good proof that the drug detected came from an ointment applied, not from injection. If they were going to DQ Medina regardless, they could have done it at the beginning, as soon as the split sample came back positive as well. I know most here have no love for Baffert, but it’s a bit odd that they waited this long and banned him for 90 days NOW, which prevents him from entering horses in the Derby. I am not suggesting they did it on purpose, but may have considered it a bonus for waiting this long.

skipaway

I am really sad for Medina Spirit, and for his owners and his breeder, who is a small operation and bred her horse of a lifetime. Barbara Livingston has been posting some haunting photos of him; he really had a sensitive eye.

I can see the rationale for the decision, but at the same time, I thought the additional testing provided pretty good proof that the drug detected came from an ointment applied, not from injection. If they were going to DQ Medina regardless, they could have done it at the beginning, as soon as the split sample came back positive as well. I know most here have no love for Baffert, but it’s a bit odd that they waited this long and banned him for 90 days NOW, which prevents him from entering horses in the Derby. I am not suggesting they did it on purpose, but may have considered it a bonus for waiting this long.
Weren’t his horses already excluded from gaining points in Derby preps, thereby effectively knocking Baffert out of this year’s Derby.
I too, am sad for the connections and especially the horse. You can see the parallel with Jessica Calalang’s positive test (eye lash serum) and this skin ointment used to treat MS. I’m conflicted b/c this is not the first, second or even third drug positive for the Baffert barn.

sk8pics

Weren’t his horses already excluded from gaining points in Derby preps, thereby effectively knocking Baffert out of this year’s Derby.
I too, am sad for the connections and especially the horse. You can see the parallel with Jessica Calalang’s positive test (eye lash serum) and this skin ointment used to treat MS. I’m conflicted b/c this is not the first, second or even third drug positive for the Baffert barn.
Yes, you're right, but I somehow was thinking there was previously a loophole, but maybe not. He still has several good 3-year-olds in training; their owners will have to switch trainers to other trainers and try to get enough derby points in the remaining prep races.

I see the same parallel, and yeah, it's not like this is the first time for Baffert. It's also true that other trainers receive drug violations too. I haven't read enough to see why they are banning him like this and at this point. Sigh. Poor Medina Spirit; I'll always consider him the Derby winner from last year. I'm sorry I will never get to see him in the flesh.

I hope Baffert cleans up his act. I also have to say the horses he's retired to Old Friends have arrived in good condition, and I can't say that about everyone else. Game On Dude in particular looked fantastic and he is a sweet, sweet, horse who was well loved. That doesn't negate the positive tests in Baffert's barn, but it makes me feel a little better. I will have to give Dude a smooch on the nose next time I am there...

skipaway

Good day of racing today! My Going to Vegas is running at SA for her first start of the year.

Attempting to get my mother involved so we can put an offer in:
Adena Springs :rofl:

sk8pics

Good day of racing today! My Going to Vegas is running at SA for her first start of the year.
I was excited about Pharoah's boy Forbidden Kingdom. Wouldn't it be something if he runs in the Derby and wins?
Attempting to get my mother involved so we can put an offer in:
Adena Springs :rofl:
I saw this and was sad because I like their operation so much. They have always been so kind to me and have supported Old Friends too. Never any hesitation letting people pet the stallions on the shoulder while posting; those horses are so well cared for. I wonder what will happen to the stallions. An earlier article said they were open to leasing the stallions to whoever buys the farm but this latest one didn't mention anything.

Also, I see Get Stormy died. :wuzrobbed He was only 16. I'm so happy I got to see him in January at Crestwood's open house. He looked fantastic.

Vagabond

The 2021 rate of fatal injury, 1.39 per 1,000 starts, is the lowest rate in the 13 years the [Equine Injury Database] has collected such data. It marks the third straight year that a record low has been reported for such incidents since the EID's launch in 2009. The risk of fatal injury in 2021 declined 1.4% from 2020 and 30.5% overall since 2009.
Of course, it would be better to have no catastrophic injuries at all, but as long as there are domesticated horses, there will be catastrophic injuries.

Now, how long will it take for someone to post something about the high rate of fatalities? :unsure:

:watch:

sk8pics

I know she hasn’t run in a long time, but some friends and I got to meet Zenyatta on her birthday. :biggrinbo:swoon: She is still beautiful and was so soft, at least where she wasn’t covered in mud, LOL. She was grazing when we came up to the fence, and then when she noticed us, she ambled over and came right to me because I was holding a pear up for her. She’s the only horse on a farm like this that I’ve seen that did not have her nameplate on her halter.

If you’ve never seen it, watch the compilation on YouTube of her 19 straight wins. It’s truly unbelievable.

sk8pics

Well, I did NOT have Rich Strike to win the derby. That said, this derby just made me SO HAPPY and I can't even explain why.
I was happy too! What a plucky horse. He and his rider were patient, he went around other horses, including at the end (his move around another horse at that point reminded me of Zenyatta’s in her BCC win) and you can really see him surge ahead about 50 yards from the wire. Tough horse, as evidenced by him trying to kill the outrider’s pony! :yikes::lol:

That said, what on earth was Messier’s jock thinking? They went a half mile in 45 and change, that’s insane! If the leader had kept going. That’s 4 or more seconds under 2 minutes! :rofl::rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information