Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie

Looks like it’s renamed. I’m seeing USA Gymnastics Winter Cup listed for the 26th on NBC.
The Winter Cup is a domestic competition. It used to be a sort of re-ranking competition or opportunity to get named to the national team for men. Last year was the first time it had a women's competition.

sk9tingfan

Being televised today from 1-3 PM today EST on NBC and then 3-5 PM EST on CNBC with repeats on the Olympic Channel on Monday from 8:30 -11:00 AM on Monday & then 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM EST and finally 8:00 PM - 1:30 AM.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm watching the Winter Cup on NBC right now. The commentary is insufferable. I wish Tim and Nastia would actually learn the rules instead of complaining about them. The judges though are fresh off the exam (was held virtually on February 14; though the results were not released yet). The judges are more than capable of coming up with a score fast (on the exam we had 120 seconds for D score and 90 seconds for E score) but in real life the D1 and D2 have to agree and if they don't you have delays while they talk it out. I wish the commentators would explain this and stop complaining about how complicated the rules are....

sk9tingfan

I'm watching the Winter Cup on NBC right now. The commentary is insufferable. I wish Tim and Nastia would actually learn the rules instead of complaining about them. The judges though are fresh off the exam (was held virtually on February 14; though the results were not released yet). The judges are more than capable of coming up with a score fast (on the exam we had 120 seconds for D score and 90 seconds for E score) but in real life the D1 and D2 have to agree and if they don't you have delays while they talk it out. I wish the commentators would explain this and stop complaining about how complicated the rules are....
I turned it off after an hour, although I am taping it. I got depressed listening to them. OK, say it once; don't keep on repeating yourself.

Rob

Beach Bum
Seems like Valery Liukin has been to positive reinforcement training school. Lots of nodding and back patting and his eyes look like he is smiling behind the mask.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Big story about Liukin:

Never in my life have I read anything less surprising. Well, actually I was a little bit surprised that this counted as news. I thought he was already under investigation until I saw him at winter cup.

Rob

Beach Bum
Never in my life have I read anything less surprising. Well, actually I was a little bit surprised that this counted as news. I thought he was already under investigation until I saw him at winter cup.
I thought this news came out years ago when he resigned as coordinator- like 2017? And they are just investigating now?

Meanwhile, Russia and Belarus have been banned from FIG gymnastics competitions.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The diarrhea story was well known on message boards. He's had a lot of defenders...smh

I'm not entirely comfortable with the descriptions of Valerie physically abusing Nastia in the gym, though. She is a public figure and she should not be outed as a victim. It is a difficult situation, though, because she's also a member of the media. This is come up before because in one of the broadcasts I think they asked her straight out if she had been abused by Larry Nassar, which I just thought was really over the top.

VGThuy

Chusovitina should just keep going until she’s 50 or beyond. If she loves it, and if there are no real downsides to it, then why not?

Hedwig

Antique member
I think she said her son had asked her to stop. But I don't know why.

She is a legend. :inavoid:

Rob

Beach Bum
I think she said her son had asked her to stop. But I don't know why.

She is a legend. :inavoid:
Especially when you consider her son is like 21 or 22 now, but I think he was worried she would have a serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information