Adverse Analytical Finding for Spain's Laura Barquero after Olympics Pairs SP

Alex_Fedorov

Banned Member
A steroid is an unconditional dope, but what is the point of using it in this case? To take 11th place? Moreover, from the very beginning it was clear that she would not be among the leaders. All this is doubtful.

antmanb

It is and it isn't. It kind of gets to why the anti-doping rules can't depend on national regulatory regimes, including whether drugs require prescriptions or are over-the-counter. Athletes have to be informed and careful, but is it at this point asking too much of them?
I don't know enough about WADA but i don't think it depends at all on national regulatory regimes - it doesn't matter whether something is available over the counter or by prescription or any other means. I think WADA just has a list of banned substances and whether it is totally banned or there is a threshold amount of a substance that is acceptable. It's pretty black and white. Most things also don't matter if the athlete took it knowingly or not. The only time it will matter about prescriptions etc is where an athlete is seeking an exemption for using a substance they otherwise wouldn't be allowed to.

Or is the occasional torment of a Jessica Calalang or possibly in this case Laura Barquero necessary "collateral damage?"
I think sadly it is. Calalang's situation was unfortunate but I think most people think it's necessary - if there's any question that the athlete has taken a banned substance they shouldn't compete until everything is decided (which is why really Valieva should not have been allowed to compete either until everything was investigated). I think if a Calalang who had deep pockets were to sue a company over the labelling of the eyelash serum she bought that might make more of a splash and hasten change.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
The first one says especially in Brazil.
The abstract says Italy??

Anyway, in Brazil, it’s mostly sold as a cream and with the same formulation as Trofodermin, Novaderm and it’s used for skin ulcers that won’t heal or as a gynecological cream.
Same as everywhere else.

If she used it to treat some wound and didn’t realize it was an actual anabolic substance, no foul play here, but still pretty stupid…

Rafter

A steroid is an unconditional dope, but what is the point of using it in this case? To take 11th place? Moreover, from the very beginning it was clear that she would not be among the leaders. All this is doubtful.

Spain has a long history with doping so it’s not that surprising that she could be potentially on something.

It could also be just lip balm.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't know enough about WADA but i don't think it depends at all on national regulatory regimes - it doesn't matter whether something is available over the counter or by prescription or any other means. I think WADA just has a list of banned substances and whether it is totally banned or there is a threshold amount of a substance that is acceptable. It's pretty black and white. Most things also don't matter if the athlete took it knowingly or not. The only time it will matter about prescriptions etc is where an athlete is seeking an exemption for using a substance they otherwise wouldn't be allowed to.
Right I just meant that the ingredients listed on supplements and other things that might help are up to regulatory regimes so they aren't something WADA can base anything on, exactly as you say.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

We can’t blame this one on Eteri. Whee!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
The abstract says Italy??

Anyway, in Brazil, it’s mostly sold as a cream and with the same formulation as Trofodermin, Novaderm and it’s used for skin ulcers that won’t heal or as a gynecological cream.
Same as everywhere else.

If she used it to treat some wound and didn’t realize it was an actual anabolic substance, no foul play here, but still pretty stupid…
The first paragraph of the first link says: Despite the prohibition against the use of clostebol, abuse of this steroid is increasing, mainly in Brazilian athletes. In Brazil, clostebol acetate is present in medicines for dermatologic and gynecologic treatments, whereas in the US, the Food and Drug Administration does not approve of the use of medicines that contain anabolic agents.

It's the third link Coco posted that mentions Italy.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

Oh sure we can! ;)

millyskate

Just making the Olympics is an incentive enough. Doping is just as common in mid-tier athletes as it is in top ones.

Obviously Laura's allowed the benefit from reasonable doubt so it will be interesting to hear if she makes a statement.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Is that supposed to be funny?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
She's 20, and there was no question about delays or possible chain of custody issues, so I expect she'll be treated as Jessica was, and suspended until she can either clear herself or just hope for a short punishment.

antmanb

So are they banned from worlds or do they get that the backwater exemption?
CAS really messed up with the Valieva decision but in this case Laura is not a "Protected Person", and this news is literally about the results of a test following the SP in Beijing so she will be banned from competing until her case is determined - i can't imagine they will be at worlds.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992

" I borrowed Eteri's lip balm"

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
She's 20, and there was no question about delays or possible chain of custody issues, so I expect she'll be treated as Jessica was, and suspended until she can either clear herself or just hope for a short punishment.
For this kind of product, minimum suspension is 2 years IMO

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I wonder if she has vaginitis? Should have a TUA for it, though, if that was the case.

Trillian

Yes, this seems pretty clear cut, and probably a minimum of two years if she can’t clear herself. And that might be a best-case scenario, pending more details.

I really like this team and was optimistic for their future, so I’m really sad to hear this.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
The first paragraph of the first link says: Despite the prohibition against the use of clostebol, abuse of this steroid is increasing, mainly in Brazilian athletes. In Brazil, clostebol acetate is present in medicines for dermatologic and gynecologic treatments, whereas in the US, the Food and Drug Administration does not approve of the use of medicines that contain anabolic agents.

It's the third link Coco posted that mentions Italy.
Got it ;)

Mayra

Based on the title of this thread I thought this was going to be an analytical breakdown of a death spiral in the short or something.

At the very least an artsy fluff piece on a lesser known skater that @Sylvia always manages to find. :shuffle:

What a bummer. This team has/had so much potential and now they’re out until it’s investigated and then who knows how much after that. :(

Lizziebeth

Yes that is what I'm asking for - these products can contain literally anything & the public has no way of knowing that the vitamins or supplements they're taking are safe.
Decades ago, supplements were largely exempted from regulation in the US. The regulation of drugs and food is much more strict. There are a number of problems with supplements not containing exactly what is on the label, or having additional ingredients not on the label. The chance of ever getting this regulatory gap fixed is (IMHO) slim and none. Any athlete taking this stuff runs the risk that they will ingest a banned substance.

Maybe it is better in other countries.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I think it's more shocking that supplements and vitamins, things that people literally take for health reasons are not clearly labelled with every single ingredient. People can have allergic reactions to all sorts of things and you'd think manufacturers of those products would want to at least minimise their risk of legal exposure to someone who might have an adverse reaction.

I think it's not just labelling (where the US does require allergen labeling I believe), it's also contamination. I think in the US supplements have a lower standard of manufacturing compared to prescribed medications?

I'm not sure what the right solution is; athletes should be able to use topicals (such as Calang) or multivitamins or whatnot, but they also have assume responsibility.

I think, regardless of this being purposeful or accidental doping, it is extra disappointing because it might grind the Spanish pairs programme to a halt. We need more nations in pairs.

Trillian

I think it's not just labelling (where the US does require allergen labeling I believe), it's also contamination. I think in the US supplements have a lower standard of manufacturing compared to prescribed medications?

I'm not sure what the right solution is; athletes should be able to use topicals (such as Calang) or multivitamins or whatnot, but they also have assume responsibility.

I think the most obvious solution is for athletes to avoid using these types of products unless they’re medically necessary, which generally they’re not. Not sure what it’s like in other countries, but Americans fall for a lot of garbage “medical” advice they see on the internet which leads to ingesting or applying all kinds of things their body doesn’t need. Athletes need to be smarter than that. Calalang’s situation was different, but even when it comes to cosmetics, there’s enough risk that it’s a good idea to err on the side of extreme caution. (ETA: I don’t blame her at all - just a cautionary tale, unfortunately.)

Obviously athletes should take medications they actually need and request exemptions as necessary. People just need to realize that a lot of things marketed as having health benefits in the U.S. have no proven health benefits whatsoever, and it’s not harmful to athletes if they can’t take those products.

I think, regardless of this being purposeful or accidental doping, it is extra disappointing because it might grind the Spanish pairs programme to a halt. We need more nations in pairs.

Agreed.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ According to this person (who did not provide a source): "The forbidden substance was in an ointment the team doctor purchased and gave it to Laura to treat lip blisters… It was fully labeled and he missed it…"

ETA: TWEET HAS BEEN DELETED

Last edited:

Former Lurve Goddess

According to this person (who did not provide a source): "The forbidden substance was in an ointment the team doctor purchased and gave it to Laura to treat lip blisters… It was fully labeled and he missed it…"
So an Andreea Raducan/Silken Laumann situation:cry:

millyskate

According to this person (who did not provide a source): "The forbidden substance was in an ointment the team doctor purchased and gave it to Laura to treat lip blisters… It was fully labeled and he missed it…"
That story is literally a copy paste from the explanation used by Norwegian skier Teresa Johaug. I'm thinking they must have googled and got confused? Skiers get lip blisters, not skaters.

Miezekatze

I'm currently reading a Norwegian crime novel which is obviously inspired by the Theresa Johanna case, cause in it a cross country skier is accused of taking Clostebol and in it also a skier nearly takes it cause a team doctor gives her a lip balsam which contains it. So I'd guess that Tweet also was just using that story again.

Everybody can get lip blisters (that's usually just Herpes simplex blisters, that gets reactivated in a certain percentage of people who ever got infected with it, I get them too, they can be triggered by cold and sun, but also by stress and other illnesses and a weak immune system), but it still seems a bit odd if that same lip balsam explanation came up now. It doesn't sound like a mistake one would repeat after there already was a bit doping case due to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information