2021/2022 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Janef

I agree 100%. They have become so boring. Lacking the same spirit. Can’t put my finger on it. There style this year is the same for past few years. The free dance is not a winner either. They had really interesting avant- guard music (forget the name) program a few years ago that was cool. Hitchcock was interesting too. To me this whole Olympic thing is a bit of a bust with no crowd etc
Ps. I think the costume is way too much. The problem is more Paul. They should have him in something a little different. Not so matching?

Rafter

Why? By all accounts here, it sounds like she handled the situation pretty well.

She did. She didn’t say much about it.

Why isn’t Carol Lane with them? Surely she has a clause in her CBC contract about not being available when she needs to coach her team? Or does she not?! Seems like this situation was predictable.

I don’t like her commentary but I’d rather be listening to her and Kurt than the commentators on the official stream. They’re so bad and irritating. Is there a way to get their commentary online? CBC sports app was using the international commentary.

Carol Lane has not travelled with them to the bigger comps since she got the CBC commentating gig.

Rafter

Even though I strongly dislike Hubble/Donohue’s RD, G/Ps fell flat skating after them.

D’Allesdandro and Waddell are behind the Czech couple at Egna Trophy but quite a lot of points.

I wonder why Skate Canada didn’t send Bashynska/Beaumont to this event too?

bladesofgorey

I was just thinking exactly this. It's too much. The weird undulations they do in their opening and ending poses, the costumes. It's like Blades of Glory does ice dance.
I don't think it's too much if it actually matched the program- the problem is it doesn't. I love Elton John and all but skating to easy listening music selections in that get-up makes the overall impression seem slightly ridiculous and the contrast makes the music feel extra boring which is a lethal combination.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I agree.

Carol Lane said it was a deliberate strategy - to go colourful and bold against all the black costumes. I don’t think they needed to go that out there.
I thought the costumes were fine and actually were a breath of fresh citrus against all the black.
But the jumpsuit, not that dress she wore. Reminds me of Jerry skating dresses.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The jumpsuit on Piper was much better than the dress. The dress was just too busy, especially the skirt - and the orange of the skirt didn't match the top/Paul's jumpsuit. It was distracting. I hope they brought the jumpsuit with them to Beijing so that she can go back to it for the individual ID event.

Seerek

The theme of this season's Rhythm Dance works better for those teams who can (want to?) skate like a house of fire and throw caution to the wind for 3 minutes straight, lack of clean lines or even good carriage be damned.

Sometimes, it's just not "your" theme.

Janef

I was just thinking exactly this. It's too much. The weird undulations they do in their opening and ending poses, the costumes. It's like Blades of Glory does ice dance.
Yes I see that too unfortunately. I think also they thrive on the audience. Of course all the cancellations and insecurity over the course of the past 2 years (esp in Canada) hasn’t done the skaters any good. Canadian nationals had no audience. USA and Europe and Russia did which helps with performing

Janef

I agree 100%. They have become a bit stale, Lacking the same spirit? Can’t put my finger on it. There style this year is the same for past few years. The free dance is not a winner either. They had really interesting avant- guard music (forget the name) program a few years ago that was cool. Hitchcock was interesting too. To me this whole Olympic thing is a bit of a bust with no crowd etc

puglover

I loved "Vincent" and thought it was their best work. I felt "Both Sides Now" really grew as they skated it and it they created a true "moment" at the last worlds. I also really enjoyed "The Long and Winding Road" at the team event. They are telling their story from their hearts, not someone else's. I don't find their movement ever gets stale - it is always new and innovative. I guess I am someone they made a fan and now I just love them.

ichiro

I usually love all of G/P's programs but this year both have been extremely blah and tame. I think their team went with the wrong programs and packaging. Instead of creating something out there to capture your eyes and attention, we get a continuation of Vincent --> Both Sides. The LP was way to safe and ZZzz for me. If they skated to C/B LP that would have been amazing! I wonder if they'll stick around for 1 more year or so..

screech

So happy Piper went back to the jumpsuit.
I'm glad to see their levels were a little better here, though unfortunate about the small bobble on the twizzle. I do think they were a tiny smidge underscored (I'd have had them about a point or so higher overall - more around C/B score).

Good performance from FB/S too. Sad he didn't have the earring in this time, though.
I didn't wake up in time to see L/L

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
G&P were NOT underscored. They did not look like they belonged in the last group - barely the second-last group.

Janef

Does anyone have a link to the CBC icedance replay with Tessa and Scott. I could only find the English commentators (who are fine with me!!!!). Just wanted to hear what T and S had to say. Thanks all !

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information