Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamSkates

I think this deserves it's own thread and not a sub-line of one. If true, this behavior should be swiftly and severely dealt with.

For me, disgusted with any country's illegal use of drugs is equivalent to cheating at the highest level. Especially repeat offenders.
Doping has no place in sports and mars figure skating.
Discuss.

Platypus

How does it work in this case if it is found that one of the skaters tested positive? Do they just lose the points for that skater or does the entire team get disqualified?

I saw an article in Canadian media about Canada possibly being bumped up to bronze dependant on the outcome. However, the only way that would happen is if multiple skaters tested positive or the entire team is disqualified since Canada was so far behind you could remove Valieva's points and Russia would still be ahead.

skatingguy

decently
How does it work in this case if it is found that one of the skaters tested positive? Do they just lose the points for that skater or does the entire team get disqualified?

I saw an article in Canadian media about Canada possibly being bumped up to bronze dependant on the outcome. However, the only way that would happen is if multiple skaters tested positive or the entire team is disqualified since Canada was so far behind you could remove Valieva's points and Russia would still be ahead.
If you remove Valieva's 20 points, and everyone moves up one place in each segment then Canada would have more points than Russia.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

If it is proven that a skater on the ROC team failed a drug test, the entire team will be stripped of their gold medal, and their results removed from the Olympic record. That would be heartbreaking for the athletes on that team that didn't test positive, but the other teams would move up one spot - thus Canada would be issued the bronze medal.

screech

Can they just not count her points and treat it like a WD? Or since she actually competed, will it affect the whole team results?

Judy

I was just coming here to ask wtf happened. I watch On CBC sports and it was a brief update on the sports overnight. They had a brief clip of an IOC member basically saying he couldn’t say much.

A positive drug test? 😳

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Can they just not count her points and treat it like a WD? Or since she actually competed, will it affect the whole team results?
Yes, the whole team is usually stripped of a medal if it is discovered that a teammate cheated. China was stripped of the 2000 Olympic bronze in women's gymnastics when it was found that at least one of their gymnasts was too young (14) at the time to compete at the Games. The 2000 US Olympic gymnastic team were awarded the Olympic team bronze medal years after the fact.

Is it known yet if the skater who allegedly tested positive is female?

Last edited:

chantilly

With the statement in the article that there are “claims” that the drug is “recreational”, does anyone here know what drugs might be on that list?
When I hear recreational I think marijuana, coke etc. Does that also mean cold meds etc?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
With the statement in the article that there are “claims” that the drug is “recreational”, does anyone here know what drugs might be on that list?
When I hear recreational I think marijuana, coke etc. Does that also mean cold meds etc?
That was in the initial reports but it seems line it might be a mistranslation or an attempt to obfuscate and claim the drug is "non-performance-enhancing". Further complicated by the fact that it was found during a routine out of competition test.

DreamSkates

I think this deserves it's own thread and not a sub-line of one. If true, this behavior should be swiftly and severely dealt with.

For me, disgusted with any country's illegal use of drugs is equivalent to cheating at the highest level. Especially repeat offenders.
Doping has no place in sports and mars figure skating.
Discuss.
ADDED: AWAITING the FACTS to be brought to light. It is easy to jump to conclusions.

DreamSkates

Elena Bereznaia tested positive for a banned substance in a cold medicine back in 200. She and Anton were stripping of their European title

Jessica Calalang was banned for a year because of a banned substance in her makeup (yes, really)
Yes it was lipstick. Why athletes need to be avid label-readers and contact manufacturers about all substances in whatever they use for daily purposes.

karmena

Elena Bereznaia tested positive for a banned substance in a cold medicine back in 200. She and Anton were stripping of their European title

Jessica Calalang was banned for a year because of a banned substance in her makeup (yes, really)
Was not Caroline Kostner banned for supporting her boyfriend with doping related issues?

Judy

Wow I have no recollection of that.

Ummm yah lipstick.
In 2000 though I (my family) was dealing with a crisis with my brother (cancer) so I’m not surprised I was oblivious to everything that year.

Sylvia

TBD
Meclofenoxate (4-CPA) was the banned substance and Calalang tested positive for Chlorphenesin ("a non-prohibited substance that is used as a preserving agent in cosmetics and lotions") that can metabolize into 4-CPA and WADA issued a Technical Letter in late November 2021 as a result of Calalang's case and a pro wrestler's similar case in 2021: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-of-drug-violation.108736/page-3#post-6126292

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

B/S were also banned from Worlds2000 because she failed the test after the Europeans. They were practicing their SP at worlds when they were told of the ban. Elena was devastated.
Tamara took responsibility for the mistake. She said we should have checked what was in the medicine. It was Sudafed, recommended by an American doctor (they lived and trained in the USA at that time). It is so common to take it for common cold that nobody probably questioned it, but it changed the trajectory of B/S's career.

Fadeevfanboy

B/S were also banned from Worlds2000 because she failed the test after the Europeans. They were practicing their SP at worlds when they were told of the ban. Elena was devastated.
Tamara took responsibility for the mistake. She said we should have checked what was in the medicine. It was Sudafed, recommended by an American doctor (they lived and trained in the USA at that time). It is so common to take it for common cold that nobody probably questioned it, but it changed the trajectory of B/S's career.

I do think if they were 3 time World Champions it would been much harder for Sale & Pelletier (even with the politicing) to make such a move on them. Reputation was huge in the sport back then. A shaky season and no longer reigning World Champions, they weren't entering the next season in as strong or dominant a place. And given the level of skating at the 2000 worlds, subpar performances by all the favorites/contenders basically and total disaesters by both Shen & Zhao and Sale & Pelletier, I am pretty sure they would have won, even without their best skate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information