Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

CassAgain

What is their bias? I haven't paid them enough attention to notice it, yet.
This is my take, and please everyone feel free to correct. They are Canadian Piper and Paul ubers, which they are up front about. They are not crazy about Chock and Bates's skating or programs (they HATED the snake program and stopped just short of calling it racist) and are not crazy about the alien program either. They think H/D have poorly constructed programs. They seem to think P/C are over-scored but are not really fans of Vikki and Nikki either. I think that they are pretty bored by most of the non Piper and Paul top teams.

Also, Zach Lagha is the current performance standard by which all dance teams should be measured. :lol:

Peepsquick

This is my take, and please everyone feel free to correct. They are Canadian Piper and Paul ubers, which they are up front about. They are not crazy about Chock and Bates's skating or programs (they HATED the snake program and stopped just short of calling it racist) and are not crazy about the alien program either. They think H/D have poorly constructed programs. They seem to think P/C are over-scored but are not really fans of Vikki and Nikki either. I think that they are pretty bored by most of the non Piper and Paul top teams.

Also, Zach Lagha is the current performance standard by which all dance teams should be measured. :lol:
They are Canadian and unfortunately it shows ... My experience so far is that Canadian are fierce defenders of their own, warranted or not. The sisters are all the way on the Piper and Paul bandwagon but not beyond pointing out flaws in their program. Not being a skater myself, I found their Podcast informative because they do discuss the technical stuff.

angi

What is their bias? I haven't paid them enough attention to notice it, yet.
They have clear favoritism towards Carol Lane's teams and a strong dislike to many I.AM team in a way that is very biased (in fact once a team is associated with I.AM they seem to start nitpicking them). They keep criticizing teams for going for programs that in their opinion promote heteronormativity without really realizing they are mostly just forcing their own views and interpretation on those programs. They have a big issue with Chock/Bates and the fact that in both programs (snake and alien) Madi Chock is sort of the outsider and have hinted that it's because of some overt racism while not realizing the irony of two white ladies giving that kind of commentary to an Asian American woman who talked in length about what message she is trying to convey in her programs. They also made some shaming comments about Madi Chock's snake costume that really rubbed me the wrong way. Overall, while we all have our own biases and it's completely natural, if you are going to run a podcast that reviews ice dance you need to be able to talk about what was put on the ice without framing it in your own biased views.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I really don't think they have "a strong dislike" to many IAM teams, or such a strong nationalistic bias, but to each their own. They do seem to like Gilles / Poirier a lot though.

And for what is worth, F&W once (about 1.5 years ago) said in an Instagram Q&A that Dubreuil / Lauzon are their all-time favorite dance team. They also nominated 4 IAM teams (F/G, F-B/S, P/C and Bronsard / Bouaraguia) among their current favorites.

Obviously I don't share all their opinions, but I enjoy listening to them and find their podcast informative. Again, to each their own.

And to get back to the topic, they've actually said in their U.S. Nationals episode that they like the changes H/D made to FD a lot.

Last edited:

VGThuy

This is kind of how I feel except for the Lagha thing and I also find Piper and Paul boring too now. I do love the Alien FD but I see why some people wouldn't be super into it. I do think P/C and H/D's skills are pretty undeniable compared to the rest of the field right now.

Bournekraatzfan

If you search on google there is website/forum that has videos from Nationals available to download. Also has skating videos from other countries and competitions. It'sa great site.
Thank you so much, Spiralgraph! I can't wait to see more videos from this event--it was stacked!--and this will be helpful in accessing more vids from Japan, Russia, and Philippines, I hope? Thanks again :)

RoseRed

I really don't think they have "a strong dislike" to many IAM teams, or such a strong nationalistic bias, but to each their own. They do seem to like Gilles / Poirier a lot though.

And for what is worth, F&W once (about 1.5 years ago) said in an Instagram Q&A that Dubreuil / Lauzon are their all-time favorite dance team. They also nominated 4 IAM teams (F/G, F-B/S, P/C and Bronsard / Bouaraguia) among their current favorites.

Obviously I don't share all their opinions, but I enjoy listening to them and find their podcast informative. Again, to each their own.

And to get back to the topic, they've actually said in their U.S. Nationals episode that they like the changes H/D made to FD a lot.
Yeah, I don't agree with all of their takes (including about the Chock/Bates's FDs), but I don't think they're particularly against IAM. I remember that unlike a lot of people, they really liked P/C's spoken word FD, for example.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
There is no indication that the USFS is going to switch up their method from 2018. Men and dance will get to choose first, and from that it will come from internal rankings to decide who (well obviously Chen will, as men go first individually) of the dance teams will decide whether they want both events or to split it.

In 2018, the Shibutanis had a world ranking outside of the final SD group at the Olympics and didn't win Nationals, but were still the top-ranked team by the USFS. They said they wanted both events and got them. The story goes that Nathan went next, said he only wanted the short, and Rippon, as the next-ranked skater, was given the LP. Squash all the stories about Rippon 'having' to be on the team to skate an LP with 5 entrants, including a Japanese team that put out their #3 man because a medal was out of the picture, and a newly-senior Matteo Rizzo.

If the USFS was hellbent on USA winning gold, they would tell Nathan that they want him to skate both programs for starters. That's not going to happen.

Bigbird

A few comments…Madi and Zach are team one for the team event based on body of work. So despite Madison Chock’s comments, it is up to M/Z and USFS as to whether the event is split. I think USFS is reserving announcements for the team event pending negative ********* tests, so as not to play their hand in case someone tests positive. They have always announced team event by now.

M/Z, IMO, should have won nationals. I can only think the USFS has some misguided agenda that by placing C/B first, they might get two teams on the podium at Beijing.

I see many comments in the thread about the Olympic channel documentary about how Madi came off in this last episode regarding competing against P/C. Keep in mind that was filmed right after Torino GP. And sorry… but there is a valid point that P/C can have a mistake and not be penalized by judges the same way as others teams would be. That is ice dance compared to other disciplines where falls obviously impact scores. Just sayin.
Really? P/C were hit pretty hard for their mistakes at ECs in 2020. In my mind they were the rightful champions as S/K made similar mistakes but the panel had an assignment. I hate to even say this but the panel was looking for a reason to give it to C/B because quite frankly other than Madi H's skills what other advantage do they have as a team? C/B have the better composed programs and the finesse. So it was bound to happen one day. I somehow feel like H/D have peaked. They should have podiumed in 2018 they had the packaging and the programs hands down.

sap5

Of the two teams, H/D would have had the best chance of actually beating P/C or S/K, if one of those two teams were to falter. However, now that they are the US #2, and I think that chance has come down to zero, even if one of those teams splats all over the place. We will see.

Viscaro

Honestly I like both teams C/B and H/D but my preference is for H/D since their Tron program, which I loved. C/B did not have a competitive program that is such a highlight to me. I am also very much into HD style of skating. I just love PC too much to be objective about them, and honestly I was saddened by MH comments. I wanted HD to get the bronze at the last olympics but ofc the Shibs deserved it too.

I thought MH was very happy with her results at the 2019 GPF and would be overjoyed to be olympic vice-champion, so I was surprised by how unsatisfied it seems she would be with silver. I also thought reporting private comments by Gaby and describing her as "nearly face-planting" into the floor was disappointing.

Overall she seemed resentful of PC and especially Gaby, which as competitors is very understandable (especially given the subjectivity of ice dance), yet saddened me. I hope if they get an olympic medal they'll be happy with it, and not disappointed to not get the gold.

Sorry to be a bit negative of Madison on their thread, I am really impressed by them and love them, but yeah that conversation with Adrian, although honest, wasn't great.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

Honestly I like both teams C/B and H/D but my preference is for H/D since their Tron program, which I loved. C/B did not have a competitive program that is such a highlight to me. I am also very much into HD style of skating. I just love PC too much to be objective about them, and honestly I was saddened by MH comments. I wanted HD to get the bronze at the last olympics but ofc the Shibs deserved it too.

I thought MH was very happy with her results at the 2019 GPF and would be overjoyed to be olympic vice-champion, so I was surprised by how unsatisfied it seems she would be with silver. I also thought reporting private comments by Gaby and describing her as "nearly face-planting" into the floor was disappointing.

Overall she seemed resentful of PC and especially Gaby, which as competitors is very understandable (especially given the subjectivity of ice dance), yet saddened me. I hope if they get an olympic medal they'll be happy with it, and not disappointed to not get the gold.

Sorry to be a bit negative of Madison on their thread, I am really impressed by them and love them, but yeah that conversation with Adrian, although honest, wasn't great.
In comparison, I liked Adrian's remark that he doesn't make a distinction when it comes to his competitors. I think it is healthy if you want the chance to nurture a friendship. It has become very personal for Madison.
Beyond that, for me, although their skating skills are excellent, they lack P/C's "oneness" and magic.

SidelineSkater

I also think…

In 2018 it was more difficult to sooot dance bc we had 3 strong teams deserving of helping win a team medal. So someone would get left out. It was likely the Shibs would retire, so the two teams had another quad to duke it out.

It does make me nervous after nats, but I’m hopeful M/Z can participate in the TE.

Alisa withdrawing complicated things for who would be the only woman if dance/men are split. She has the highest ceiling, but I wouldn’t mind Bell getting the nod.

We are a few weeks away from the TE, but it’s forever away in figure skating time.

lauravvv

This was a bit strange and unexpected, as, judging by their Instagrams and comments to and about each other, Madison and Gabriella seemed to be very close friends. But I wouldn't be surprised if it has changed after Madison's comments on the show. Would be a pity if she has let her competitive spirit and desire for gold to ruin their friendship.

Peepsquick

This was a bit strange and unexpected, as, judging by their Instagrams and comments to and about each other, Madison and Gabriella seemed to be very close friends. But I wouldn't be surprised if it has changed after Madison's comments on the show. Would be a pity if she has let her competitive spirit and desire for gold to ruin their friendship.
It has't changed according to Olivia (Smart). Listen to The Skating Lesson's interview of Olivia. It's interesting.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
My best friend and I have worked together for twenty years, are competitive, aren’t always nice but at the end of the day we support each other. Something like those comments would not end our friendship. People are blowing this way out of proportion. I want friends that challenge me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information