"On Edge" - Olympic Channel's docuseries featuring 6 teams from Ice Academy of Montreal

analia

This whole show is H/D being really bitter lol...
When I would reluctantly agree that they are world No.2/3 in SS, they are behind C/B for everything else. Lifts are labored. Twizzles are not as in control (same goes for S/K but S/K's lifts are better). Programs range from unmemorable to weird. I still remember their Gatsby program early in their career that I really thought was incomprehensibly bad. This season's FD is pointless too. In any case C/B is a stronger team than H/D, maybe even S/K despite weaker SS. Judges do inherently appreciate creativity, otherwise Fear/Gibson would not be where they are.
I like this show. Gabi is very cool.

angi

This whole show is H/D being really bitter lol...
When I would reluctantly agree that they are world No.2/3 in SS, they are behind C/B for everything else. Lifts are labored. Twizzles are not as in control (same goes for S/K but S/K's lifts are better). Programs range from unmemorable to weird. I still remember their Gatsby program early in their career that I really thought was incomprehensibly bad. This season's FD is pointless too. In any case C/B is a stronger team than H/D, maybe even S/K despite weaker SS. Judges do inherently appreciate creativity, otherwise Fear/Gibson would not be where they are.
I like this show. Gabi is very cool.
H/D have some of the best lifts this season (all new unlike many teams who recycled theirs) and they are not labored in the slightest, S/K are not even close to them in lifts, especially now with Nikita's back issues. And while I love Chock/Bates, their skating skills, ice coverage, edge quality, and speed are not nearly as good as H/D's.
They are also not bitter, they are just the current team people love to pick apart the most, Madi voiced her frustration with the judging, you can agree with her take or disagree with it, but as an athlete who spends all of her time trying to improve and to excel in the sport has the right to voice her opinion without it being immediately called bitterness. She's hardly the first to question the judging but for some reason others don't get as much criticism for it as she does.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
They are also not bitter, they are just the current team people love to pick apart the most, Madi voiced her frustration with the judging, you can agree with her take or disagree with it, but as an athlete who spends all of her time trying to improve and to excel in the sport has the right to voice her opinion without it being immediately called bitterness. She's hardly the first to question the judging but for some reason others don't get as much criticism for it as she does.
No she doesn't. She chose to make these statements publicly, on a TV Show. She has the right to say whatever she wants, express her opinions, but she doesn't get to be free from comment or criticism. It goes both ways.

angi

No she doesn't. She chose to make these statements publicly, on a TV Show. She has the right to say whatever she wants, express her opinions, but she doesn't get to be free from comment or criticism. It goes both ways.
Right, and voicing it on a TV show is just so different from those who do it in interviews.

yuna13fr

They aren't just teammates or rivals. They are friend, she is her best friend.
P/C's fans are upset because this isn't the first time Madison made shady comments towards P/C. Watch Us nationals 2020 PC and look at her answer about P/C losing their EC title. Evan answered with respect while Madison didn't. Her best friend was going through a difficult time, she couldn't go to the rink and practice because of her mental health but did she show a bit of support ? No she was happy that P/C could be beaten.

Also Gabriella ALWAYS say that H/D are also their rivals for gold just like S/K.
When she made that comment on the podium it's because that's what she wants to have her Best friend on the podium with her at og.

When i watched the ep i didn't see a friend, i saw a bitter and jealous person.

Judy

They aren't just teammates or rivals. They are friend, she is her best friend.
P/C's fans are upset because this isn't the first time Madison made shady comments towards P/C. Watch Us nationals 2020 PC and look at her answer about P/C losing their EC title. Evan answered with respect while Madison didn't. Her best friend was going through a difficult time, she couldn't go to the rink and practice because of her mental health but did she show a bit of support ? No she was happy that P/C could be beaten.

Also Gabriella ALWAYS say that H/D are also their rivals for gold just like S/K.
When she made that comment on the podium it's because that's what she wants to have her Best friend on the podium with her at og.

When i watched the ep i didn't see a friend, i saw a bitter and jealous person.
Oh please. I am not a die hard fan of anyone but I do wish fans would grow up and not attack a rival … omg my fav is perfect! How dare they say that! 😂

Khaleesi

Oh please. I am not a die hard fan of anyone but I do wish fans would grow up and not attack a rival … omg my fav is perfect! How dare they say that! 😂
For real. This whole discussion is frankly dumb. Now Madi H is apparently the Antichrist for voicing frustration at judges/judging and C/B are now a better team than H/D? Like in what world? What are people smoking, I’ll like some so I can live in denial too. (BTW this is not to say I have something against C/B they have one of my favorites FDs this season). But Madi didn’t attack P/C personally ok. I’m glad to see Gabi and Madi aren’t special snowflakes like skating fans seem to be and their relationship is more than fine.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Didn't Gabby make a comment that she was secretly wishing V&M would fall in the Olympic FD? I don't think she had bad blood with Tessa and Scott. I would expect her of all people to understand the frustration, wanting to win and having your training mates standing in the way. And it sounds like she does, and her and Madi are fine. The issue is between the fans.

Peepsquick

She didn't wish for them to fall. She was trying to explain the frame of mind she was in, waiting for the result. knowing it was very very close and grasping at straws: may be they will fall or make a mistake etc... . It's all in the rendition and it's what has been bothering me a lot, when I read comments on social media. A lot of people have a set idea about her and depict her under the worst possible light (not meant for you btw @Cherub721).

I guess, I must be one of the snow flakes because it bothers me!

VGThuy

Didn't Gabby make a comment that she was secretly wishing V&M would fall in the Olympic FD? I don't think she had bad blood with Tessa and Scott. I would expect her of all people to understand the frustration, wanting to win and having your training mates standing in the way. And it sounds like she does, and her and Madi are fine. The issue is between the fans.
I remember that comment made a lot of V/M fans angry (especially on Twitter) but I understood what Gabi meant. She was just acknowledging her life would have been easier if V/M fell (not wishing that they would!) because in a discipline like ice dance, it’s all in the judges hand and she was actually paying V/M a compliment by recognizing that not only were they P/C’s biggest rivals but that they could beat P/C if they skated well.

Khaleesi

She didn't wish for them to fall. She was trying to explain the frame of mind she was in, waiting for the result. knowing it was very very close and grasping at straws: may be they will fall or make a mistake etc... . It's all in the rendition and it's what has been bothering me a lot, when I read comments on social media. A lot of people have a set idea about her and depict her under the worst possible light (not meant for you btw @Cherub721).

I guess, I must be one of the snow flakes because it bothers me!
Ok so maybe she doesn't say "God I wish they would fall" but the implication is clear. I must have been MIA when this happened but to me this sounds worse than anything Madi H said yet people are calling Madi bitter and jealous. If you can acknowledge that Gabi is human and her feelings in that moment are understandable, why is it that what Madi said bothers you so much? Seems a bit like kettle calling the pot black.

Peepsquick

Ok so maybe she doesn't say "God I wish they would fall" but the implication is clear. I must have been MIA when this happened but to me this sounds worse than anything Madi H said yet people are calling Madi bitter and jealous. If you can acknowledge that Gabi is human and her feelings in that moment are understandable, why is it that what Madi said bothers you so much? Seems a bit like kettle calling the pot black.
Any honest competitor in the K&C would acknowledge the same type of reaction ...
Madi's comments come also from what she really feels, which makes it honest. I have no problems with that. I'm talking about the fans ...
The snowflake in me feels some hurt because the comments come from a friend and not just a frustrated competitor.

Judy

I remember that comment made a lot of V/M fans angry (especially on Twitter) but I understood what Gabi meant. She was just acknowledging her life would have been easier if V/M fell (not wishing that they would!) because in a discipline like ice dance, it’s all in the judges hand and she was actually paying V/M a compliment by recognizing that not only were they P/C’s biggest rivals but that they could beat P/C if they skated well.
I was never upset with Gabi saying that and voiced that at the time. As if no other competitor in any sport hasn’t thought that in the moment. It’s just human.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I was never upset with Gabi saying that and voiced that at the time. As if no other competitor in any sport hasn’t thought that in the moment. It’s just human.
People keep talking about what Gabi said but don't tell the rest of us who didn't see the awards ceremony what she said! Please tell us!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
People keep talking about what Gabi said but don't tell the rest of us who didn't see the awards ceremony what she said! Please tell us!
So from vague memory - not even sure if it was in an article, or a video interview - but it was along the lines of: watching V&M skate the FD at the 2018 Olys and waiting for them to make a mistake, kinda hoping they'd make a mistake, but realizing as they watched that there were no mistakes. It wasn't like she wished them to fall, but more like an acknowledgement that it would be to P&C's advantage if they made a mistake so she was watching to see if there were any.
I was always struck by Gabi saying in an interview (I think the same one) that she was completely traumatized by the result.

Judy

So from vague memory - not even sure if it was in an article, or a video interview - but it was along the lines of: watching V&M skate the FD at the 2018 Olys and waiting for them to make a mistake, kinda hoping they'd make a mistake, but realizing as they watched that there were no mistakes. It wasn't like she wished them to fall, but more like an acknowledgement that it would be to P&C's advantage if they made a mistake so she was watching to see if there were any.
I was always struck by Gabi saying in an interview (I think the same one) that she was completely traumatized by the result.
Lol I’m sure they wished them to fall! I would have. As long as someone doesn’t cause something to happen who cares. I think her tweet was milder than that but I don’t remember exactly.

skatingguy

decently
After what happened in the rhythm dance, it would be surprising if she wasn't at least somewhat traumatized.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So from vague memory - not even sure if it was in an article, or a video interview - but it was along the lines of:
I meant what did Gabi say to Madi on the podium that has everyone up in arms about how rude she was to Madi.

skatingguy

decently
I meant what did Gabi say to Madi on the podium that has everyone up in arms about how rude she was to Madi.
It was the podium at Grand Prix event in Italy that Madi was talking about. She and Adria were at dinner, and Madi talked about how Gabi was pointing to the flags, and saying 'it's like we just won the Olympics', and Madi said in the clip of her and Adria 'not yet'. I think that's what you're referring to.

Last edited:

bcash

I don’t think Gabi was secretly wishing for V/M to fall, although I certainly was, and not secretly. And V/M weren’t “in their way” because they did win the FD, and they’ve not lost a FD to V/M from 2017 Worlds on, and they would have won the OGM in 2018 had her costume not come apart and had Skate Canada president not been on the panel and desperately marked them down.

Khaleesi

I don’t think Gabi was secretly wishing for V/M to fall, although I certainly was, and not secretly. And V/M weren’t “in their way” because they did win the FD, and they’ve not lost a FD to V/M from 2017 Worlds on, and they would have won the OGM in 2018 had her costume not come apart and had Skate Canada president not been on the panel and desperately marked them down.
Not to speak for @Cherub721 but I think she meant in their way as in a win wasn’t guaranteed for either team when both were present; could have gone either way not like nowadays where P/C are pretty much guaranteed a win (as they should).

And what’s this about Skate Canada president? Are you saying they would have or should have won the RD if a judge didn’t lowball them? Not sure how anyone can argue that given the performance that evening as sad as it was since it was not in their control.

Japanfan

I would think that plenty of skaters wish for their rivals to make a mistake. Some may not, as beating a close rival in a clean to clean competition would be all the sweeter.

Also, IMO P/C were slated to be the victors in 2018. Ice dance being prejudged as it less, although less so under CoP.

They must have known they were the favorites.

The came the mishap and slight mishap. V&M thus skated last in the free, and knocked it out of the ballpark. Judges didn't have much choice but to give them the win. But I think the judges must have been a bit befuddled.

MsZem

I see the sea
The came the mishap and slight mishap. V&M thus skated last in the free, and knocked it out of the ballpark. Judges didn't have much choice but to give them the win. But I think the judges must have been a bit befuddled.
I know many people loved V/M's Olympic performances, but this narrative that their FD blew everyone out of the water ignores the actual results. V/M won it in the SD.

angi

I know many people loved V/M's Olympic performances, but this narrative that their FD blew everyone out of the water ignores the actual results. V/M won it in the SD.
I think when people talk about V/M's FD knocking it out of the ballpark they mostly mean with the responses it got, it got the biggest reaction out of the crowd and the audience at home and the vibe (at least for me) when they finished was that they gave a flawless performance the captivated anyone who was watching. So that narrative comes from them giving the FD performance that was the most talked about and remembered after the event. It might came 0.95 points short of P/C's FD but it was still arguably the skate of the event.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think when people talk about V/M's FD knocking it out of the ballpark they mostly mean with the responses it got, it got the biggest reaction out of the crowd and the audience at home and the vibe (at least for me) when they finished was that they gave a flawless performance the captivated anyone who was watching. So that narrative comes from them giving the FD performance that was the most talked about and remembered after the event. It might came 0.95 points short of P/C's FD but it was still arguably the skate of the event.
The skate of the event (if you look at the Olympics more broadly) was Savchenko/Massot's FS.

Let's say that V/M were the equivalent of a Marvel movie and P/C were the Oscar winner on the day ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information