2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It will be a very interesting competition to see who makes the 4CC team and who is named Olympics alternate, since there's currently only 6 points separating 2nd and 8th

Only Mallet, Daleman, Bausback, Schumacher, and Pineault are eligible (besides Schizas) so not many options.

Seerek

Would someone know if there are other former Canadian women's singles champs who have coached an Olympian, as is the case this year with Tracey Wainman?

screech

I'm not too sure, but I do know that Ellen Burka was a Dutch national champ before moving to Canada and coaching her daughter Petra to an Olympic medal.

Colonel Green

Would someone know if there are other former Canadian women's singles champs who have coached an Olympian, as is the case this year with Tracey Wainman?
Karen Preston is part of the TCC staff, so she has technically done so, even if I don't think she's really the primary coach of any of them.

Seerek

Who would be the likely entrants for Junior Worlds? Would SC take a chance with Justine? Would Fiona get a chance to earn Jr Worlds minimums? I think this is Emily and Alison's last eligible year, as well. There's also Depuis and Periera.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Who would be the likely entrants for Junior Worlds? Would SC take a chance with Justine? Would Fiona get a chance to earn Jr Worlds minimums? I think this is Emily and Alison's last eligible year, as well. There's also Depuis and Periera.
I really think Justine earned it with good skates at both challenge and nationals so I really she'll be named, even though she actually has the lowest ISU season best scores of those who did the JGP this year. Dupuis and Pereira actually have much higher ISU scores but didn't do as well at nationals, so it will be an interesting decision. I'm not sure if Schumacher or Bausback would want to back to jr worlds and they haven't done junior programs in two years, but we'll see.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Wow that really surprises me. But she will always be a Canadian champion and can look back on her career with pride. Good luck to her on her next steps.
She posted 4 cute pictures with her statement, including her as a "tiny one" :)

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Per the press release they went with Miceltte and Pereira for jr worlds. This seems fair and reasonable based on nationals scores. Hopefully they will do well and can keep two spots for next year.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Wow that really surprises me. But she will always be a Canadian champion and can look back on her career with pride. Good luck to her on her next steps.
yes me too - but at some point these kids want to get on with their lives, especially when academically oriented.

Sylvia

TBD
Just noticed that Maddie Schizas' Jan. 10th Instagram post was not linked in this thread: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYjnl2trZ-T/

I’m going to the Olympics!! 12+ years after this crazy journey began, and I honestly can’t believe that I really made it all the way.

It’s taken a day to sink in, but now that I’ve had some time to come down from the clouds a bit I feel like I can write an instagram post that says more than just “I qualified!”.

Four years ago, I never would've dreamed of qualifying to the Olympic team. Heck, 2 years ago I wouldn't have either. The journey has been long, and it certainly hasn't been linear, which is what makes this moment so meaningful.

Firstly, I’d like to thank everyone for all of their support and kind messages over the past few days. I appreciate you all so much. To my family; I wish you all could’ve been here this week. Thank you guys for cheering from from home and supporting me from the very beginning.

I’m never going to be able to thank everyone who has helped me along the way in a single post, but I’d like to thank my coaches (@nancyelemaire , @derekwschmidt , @fisherannl & @fisher62 , @evgeni.dokoukine ), choreographers (@asherkwacie & @lancevipond ), club (@miltonskatingclub ) and section (@skateontario) for everything they’ve done to help me get to this point. I’ve been in the same training location since the beginning and want everyone to know that the environment my coaching team has created is what has allowed me to become the skater, and person I am today. They are amazing people who helped me find the love for my sport, and the passion that has taken me all the way to a national title.

On to #beijing2022 !

She also tweeted the same message: https://twitter.com/MaddieSchizas/status/1480585171011256329

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Just noticed that Maddie Schizas' Jan. 10th Instagram post was not linked in this thread: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYjnl2trZ-T/

I’m going to the Olympics!! 12+ years after this crazy journey began, and I honestly can’t believe that I really made it all the way.

It’s taken a day to sink in, but now that I’ve had some time to come down from the clouds a bit I feel like I can write an instagram post that says more than just “I qualified!”.

Four years ago, I never would've dreamed of qualifying to the Olympic team. Heck, 2 years ago I wouldn't have either. The journey has been long, and it certainly hasn't been linear, which is what makes this moment so meaningful.

Firstly, I’d like to thank everyone for all of their support and kind messages over the past few days. I appreciate you all so much. To my family; I wish you all could’ve been here this week. Thank you guys for cheering from from home and supporting me from the very beginning.

I’m never going to be able to thank everyone who has helped me along the way in a single post, but I’d like to thank my coaches (@nancyelemaire , @derekwschmidt , @fisherannl & @fisher62 , @evgeni.dokoukine ), choreographers (@asherkwacie & @lancevipond ), club (@miltonskatingclub ) and section (@skateontario) for everything they’ve done to help me get to this point. I’ve been in the same training location since the beginning and want everyone to know that the environment my coaching team has created is what has allowed me to become the skater, and person I am today. They are amazing people who helped me find the love for my sport, and the passion that has taken me all the way to a national title.

On to #beijing2022 !

She also tweeted the same message: https://twitter.com/MaddieSchizas/status/1480585171011256329
that is so nice that she promoted her club and coach and highlighted about her positive coaching environment. Says a lot about the Milton skating club.

fsfann

Any word on Gabby? Is she staying?
I feel like Gabby is the type who lives and breathes figure skating. From what has been publicized, this is her life. Unlike many others, I don't think she particularly excelled in school (based on what she has said) etc, so I don't think she'd retire to go on to other things...so I suspect she will commit to this and keep going, and then maybe get a job in the skating (coaching) industry or something along those lines??? Maybe I'm off, but that's the vibe I get...

coppertop1

I feel like Gabby is the type who lives and breathes figure skating. From what has been publicized, this is her life. Unlike many others, I don't think she particularly excelled in school (based on what she has said) etc, so I don't think she'd retire to go on to other things...so I suspect she will commit to this and keep going, and then maybe get a job in the skating (coaching) industry or something along those lines??? Maybe I'm off, but that's the vibe I get...
I remember her saying she has some sort of learning disorder, which is always tough and she was bullied at school.

I hope she can regain her form and at least make it back to Worlds. Nothing has gone her way since 2017.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I remember her saying she has some sort of learning disorder, which is always tough and she was bullied at school.

I hope she can regain her form and at least make it back to Worlds. Nothing has gone her way since 2017.
I disagree. In 2018 she won Nationals and skated brilliantly in the team event. Being honest, I think seeing Osmond win an individual medal at the Olympics and then winning Worlds a month later took all the energy right out of Gabby.

karmena

In 2018 she won Nationals and skated brilliantly in the team event. Being honest, I think seeing Osmond win an individual medal at the Olympics and then winning Worlds a month later took all the energy right out of Gabby.
Totally agree. I do have exactly the same impression- Gabby does not have that life-giving humbleness to accept that she did not win individual medal. And, perhaps, she has no wish or strength to admit this even to herself. On the other hand they both have a so different personality types, too- for one a medal meant everything while for the other not so much.
Also, imho Gabby is not a versatile skater. She feels the best only when skating herself and it makes harder for her. Anyway, she has achieved a lot and was very enjoyable to watch when she was on; has been great skater for Canada.

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Gabby has apparently just taken on a new sponsor relationship: https://twitter.com/MuscleTech/status/1483879376957677568

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information