Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsley Sage

Joint Christening today for August Brooksbank and Lucas Tindall with their great grandmother in attendance.

Parsley Sage

The Queen paid tribute to her "beloved Philip"in her Christmas message.

The photo on her desk is a recreation of a photo taken on their honeymoon 50 years earlier. She's wearing the same brooch.

puglover

After so many decades, anything but Queen Elizabeth 2 sounds odd for the British commonwealth.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm afraid if they are making this announcement, they know something and don't expect QEII to be the monarch much longer.

ETA: I mean, I know she's old, but she's been old for a long time.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I always thought the Princess Consort thing was a load of rubbish designed to placate feelings at the time. The spouse of a male reigning monarch has always been known by the courtesy title of Queen (or in the case of William III & Mary II, Queen Regnant in her own right). I don't believe it was ever going to be otherwise.

Vagabond

I hate this idea. I want William to ascend after QE passes. But no one asked me.
I very much doubt that William and Kate would want that kind of responsibility when they have three young children. William's father and aunt have probably given them an earful about what it's like to be the young child of a newly enthroned monarch.

attyfan

I've always wondered why they made an announcement at the time of Charles and Camilla's marriage. After all, Camilla will only be a consort. There is no issue of succession, so I can't see why the future title could not be decided later. It is one thing for HMQ to discuss what she wishes will happen after she passes, but IMO, it seems awkward to me when others to discuss the issue.

puglover

I'm afraid if they are making this announcement, they know something and don't expect QEII to be the monarch much longer.

ETA: I mean, I know she's old, but she's been old for a long time.
I hope it is just convenient timing to make an announcement with the platinum jubilee.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I've always wondered why they made an announcement at the time of Charles and Camilla's marriage. After all, Camilla will only be a consort. There is no issue of succession, so I can't see why the future title could not be decided later. It is one thing for HMQ to discuss what she wishes will happen after she passes, but IMO, it seems awkward to me when others to discuss the issue.
My theory is that it was a PR move. As in, Camilla isn't replacing Diana! She's not even getting titles that Diana never got but could have if they didn't divorce.

MLIS

My theory is that it was a PR move. As in, Camilla isn't replacing Diana! She's not even getting titles that Diana never got but could have if they didn't divorce.
It totally was. Same reason she is known as the Duchess of Cornwall instead of the Princess of Wales, which she absolutely is as the wife of the Prince of Wales. But that was Diana’s title, so she’s never used it. Whether they call her queen or not, as the wife of the king she will be.
So does King Felipe of Spain.
And Queen Margarethe of Denmark.

clairecloutier

This is the second time Charles has had CV, right?

Personally, I wish that they had kept the Princess Consort title for Camilla as planned. I just think it would have been a better and more fitting and low-key title for her. As much as she has rehabilitated her image somewhat over the years, the past still exists. (Her image not being helped much by The Crown series, imo.) Obviously it doesn't really matter too much one way or another, but I just personally would have preferred the Princess title for her. P.S. No doubt I'll get flack for this take, which I completely admit is not based on any precedent and is just personal.

jadingirl

Yes the British loathed Camilla for ruining Charles and Diana’s marriage though she wasn’t the only one to blame.
Then when they divorced the public was told Charles would never remarry.
Then when they married the public was told don’t worry you’ll never hear her called Queen.
But the firm has worked hard to try and make her likeable and foolishly they believe she is liked now so of course the Queen is going to let everyone know she agrees Camilla will be called Queen.
So Camilla wins it all in the end.
It’s too bad in a lot of ways the Charles wasn’t allowed to be with Camilla from the start but of course if that had happened we would not have William and Harry.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Was there some sort of Royal Super Spreader event that all these monarchs have CV? Goodness.

Am I the only one who likes Camilla more than Charles, QEII, William, etc? :shuffle: I'm happy for her that the Queen put her interests out now.

attyfan

IMO, since the husband of a reigning queen is known as "prince consort" (ex., "Prince Philip"), the wife of a reigning king should be "princess consort". The current system (wife of king is queen, but husband of queen is not king) implies that a male who reigns (ie king) is higher than a woman who does the same (ie queen)

genegri

Was there some sort of Royal Super Spreader event that all these monarchs have CV? Goodness.

Am I the only one who likes Camilla more than Charles, QEII, William, etc? :shuffle: I'm happy for her that the Queen put her interests out now.

I don't like or dislike her but she certainly does not deserve all the vitriol when Charles was the one who cheated on his wife.

ballettmaus

It’s too bad in a lot of ways the Charles wasn’t allowed to be with Camilla from the start but of course if that had happened we would not have William and Harry.
There likely would have been other children though and the family could have been spared a lot of tragedy and grief. I feel that even the situation with Harry now is a result of Charles not being allowed to marry Camilla.

IMO, since the husband of a reigning queen is known as "prince consort" (ex., "Prince Philip"), the wife of a reigning king should be "princess consort". The current system (wife of king is queen, but husband of queen is not king) implies that a male who reigns (ie king) is higher than a woman who does the same (ie queen)
I thought the husband of a queen was prince consort because a king was always a reigning king or something along those lines. I feel like I heard or read that it has something to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information