As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

Stefanie

Just finished The Four Winds. If you like sloooooooow and depressing books, this is the book for you.
@mattiecat13 - I realize this post is from May, but I found it when searching for Four Winds to see if any other FSUers had read it. Your summary is so accurate! I am only 150 pages in and I am struggling...but of course stubborn me won't give up on it and will finish it. (Only myself to blame. :wall: :rofl: ) Some of the writing is so redundant/repetitive. I guess there are only so many creative ways to describe how dry a drought can get and how windy it can get on the plains.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
My tiny book group (5 stalwarts) met today to discuss our December book, The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich.

We all hated it. None of us finished reading it (I had made it to almost halfway through and only one other member had read more).

We couldn't remember a book where there was such uniformity of opinion.

Between New Year's and my going to Nationals and the general yuckiness of January weather, we're skipping a January meeting. But I doubt any of us will spend those two months finally finishing The Night Watchman.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
After reading a rather hard book (Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), our next book club read was The Four Winds. The person who chose it announced that she hoped it's not sad like the last one. :shuffle: Me: "Well, it is about the Great Depression . . ."

I liked The Four Winds, but if you're not liking the beginning, it's pretty much more of the same as you go.

Allskate

After reading a rather hard book (Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), our next book club read was The Four Winds. The person who chose it announced that she hoped it's not sad like the last one. :shuffle: Me: "Well, it is about the Great Depression . . ."

I loved "Homegoing" and so did the other members of my book club. We read "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah early in the pandemic. I was not in the right mood to read something so depressing and did not finish it. I think I'll skip "The Four Winds" for now. I did really like Kristin Hannah's "The Nightingale," but I'm just not in the mood for something that is very depressing. I just read "The Sweetness of Water," which I thought was an excellent book, but I now need something a little lighter.

Davy88gtbwxyc

"The Black Book" by James Patterson was a real treat.

Every once in a while I come across a book that is difficult to put down, and this was certainly one of them.

It has been noted in the book by James Patterson himself that he believes "The Black Book" to be one of the best novels that he has written in 25 years.

The plot takes on all these crazy unpredictable twists and turns that it came to a point where I just gave up on trying to guess as to how the story would unfold and just buckled in for the ride.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
My former Russian professor wrote a book about her life. It's called "Between two worlds: A life story of a Soviet transplant", by Nadya Surikova-Klein. She's led a very interesting life, and definitely is a rags to riches through hard work story. I would have enjoyed it even if I didn't know her and adore her!

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Yesterday I finished The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak, and it was beautiful and sad, a bit funny, and at least one part 'huh?'. I was unfamiliar with this author, but look forward to diving into some of her other books. Also, I now need to go to Cyprus.

Other recent books:

The Chosen and the Beautiful - a reimagining of The Great Gatsby by Nghi Vo, from the POV of lesser character Jordan Baker, who in this book is Vietnamese, adopted as a child into the Baker family. I have actually never read The Great Gatsby and I definitely missed a lot, although I do know it follows the general plot structure and there are some verbatim pieces of dialogue. The most interesting diversions from TGG (the protagonist's identity and a backdrop of magic and demon underworld) were underdeveloped - not sure if that was to keep tied to the original plot, or to keep readers guessing, but it wasn't as successful as I'd hoped.

The Inheritance of Orquidea Divina by Zoraida Cordova - another magick-y book, with a huge amount of family members to keep track of. I was annoyed at the beginning, and wish there were slightly fewer characters with more oomph, but midway through I just gave into it. And the lady at the center of it all is an excellent character.

hanca

Values her privacy
I could never understand the purpose of book clubs. I don’t mean that as a criticism for those who are members of book clubs and enjoy it, I am just honestly not getting it. When we used to have compulsory reading lists every year at school, I managed to get through it without bothering to read most of it. (It was during communism and I did not wish to read the compulsory books because it was like being brainwashed). I guess since then I grew up loving the freedom to choose to read what I want. I love reading and read a lot, usually over a hundred books per year, but those are the books I really wanted to read. What if the books someone chooses at the book club is something that you are really not interested in? Or what if you find it boring?

MsZem

I see the sea
I could never understand the purpose of book clubs. I don’t mean that as a criticism for those who are members of book clubs and enjoy it, I am just honestly not getting it. When we used to have compulsory reading lists every year at school, I managed to get through it without bothering to read most of it. (It was during communism and I did not wish to read the compulsory books because it was like being brainwashed). I guess since then I grew up loving the freedom to choose to read what I want. I love reading and read a lot, usually over a hundred books per year, but those are the books I really wanted to read. What if the books someone chooses at the book club is something that you are really not interested in? Or what if you find it boring?
My friends and I had an "interesting book club" for years, until the parents among us found that they had no time to read ;) we picked things we thought would be fun to read and talk about. Often it would be titles that had film or TV adaptations, so some of us would watch those. We also had activities and food related to the books, so even if someone didn't like the book they'd still get something out of it.

Japanfan

The purpose of book clubs is for people to be able to talk to each other about the books they all read.

I think it is a great idea, but share your concern about having to read certain books. I am a very selective reader and make my decision early on in a book. If that decision is no, it is torture for me to have to continue reading the book.

hanca

Values her privacy
My friends and I had an "interesting book club" for years, until the parents among us found that they had no time to read ;) we picked things we thought would be fun to read and talk about. Often it would be titles that had film or TV adaptations, so some of us would watch those. We also had activities and food related to the books, so even if someone didn't like the book they'd still get something out of it.
The problem is that different people may have a very different opinion on what is fun. For example, someone in this thread wrote that someone chose a book about the Great Depression. That’s not what I would consider to be fun, and yet I do understand that some people may be very interested in this period of time, so for them it may be fun. And there are also plenty of books that I would be interested to read but only when the time is right (e.g. not when I am not going through any stress at work or in my private life).

MsZem

I see the sea
The problem is that different people may have a very different opinion on what is fun. For example, someone in this thread wrote that someone chose a book about the Great Depression. That’s not what I would consider to be fun, and yet I do understand that some people may be very interested in this period of time, so for them it may be fun. And there are also plenty of books that I would be interested to read but only when the time is right (e.g. not when I am not going through any stress at work or in my private life).
We're a small book club, and we choose the books together.

quartz

scratching at the light
I occasionally read books outside of my interests so I can be more in tune with my customers. I have read Eat Pray Love, 50 Shades of Grey, Twilight, Gone Girl, all of which were flying out of my store, and hated them all. I’ve also attempted to read Nora Roberts, couldn’t get past page 8 and Julie Garwood and couldn’t get past the first paragraph. Once I retire from the bookstore, I will absolutely not do that.
Sometimes I will see a suggestion here or elsewhere and try it out, but in general I’m fine with keeping to my own likes which are varied enough to keep me content.

clairecloutier

My problem with book clubs is that I don't have that much time for reading, and so when I do read, I want it to be something I'm really interested in. Maybe when I'm older and have more time, I'll try a book club again.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I could never understand the purpose of book clubs.
So people can talk to other people about their shared love interest, books? Sort of like this thread?

Book clubs work best if the members have at least somewhat similar tastes in reading and everyone is on the same page about what they want their book club to be, as some people are quite serious about their literary discussion and other people just want to have an excuse for a social event with some book talk.

I get all the literary discussion I want or need at work, so on my own time I read to escape all that :p.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Sharon Gless, best known for her roles in "Cagney and Lacey", the US version of "Queer as Folk", and "Burn Notice", has released her new memoir "Apparently There Were Complaints".

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Every book club I have joined, I have ended up not doing the reading so now I don't join them. :lol:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
One of my friends was in a book club that quickly evolved into a wine club where they sometimes talk about books. :lol:

hanca

Values her privacy
So people can talk to other people about their shared love interest, books? Sort of like this thread?

Book clubs work best if the members have at least somewhat similar tastes in reading and everyone is on the same page about what they want their book club to be, as some people are quite serious about their literary discussion and other people just want to have an excuse for a social event with some book talk.

I get all the literary discussion I want or need at work, so on my own time I read to escape all that :p.
But that’s exactly my point, it is not like this thread. At this thread no one is telling you to spend a week reading book of their choice. People write here what they liked or disliked, but there is no expectation that you would have to at least try to read it. I would not compare it to being on this forum either, because on this forum at least everyone is interested in skating. I would compare it more like if someone was telling me to go to a different forums, for example, this week (or this month) we do figure skating (great!) but next week or next month it will be golf (hmmmm….), the following week/month it will be tennis (that's not getting any better…), then gymnastics… I have never met anyone who would have love for all books and enjoy reading completely everything.

I agree with the second part of your post, that it works best when people have similar taste in reading, but that’s quite hard to find.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
One of my friends was in a book club that quickly evolved into a wine club where they sometimes talk about books. :lol:
I think this is one of the reasons I've never joined a book club. I mean, I get the social aspect, but if I show up to a meeting about a book, I want to discuss the book. Yep, I'm fun like that!

Mostly, though, I think the mere fact of a deadline would kill my ability to get a book read. I love the idea of a book club and think I would be very bad at it :lol:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
But that’s exactly my point, it is not like this thread. At this thread no one is telling you to spend a week reading book of their choice.
Good lord.

In most book clubs, people nominate books, the members take a vote, and the winner is the book everyone will read. In others, member take turns choosing books. I don't know of any book clubs that read a book a week, although there probably are some. Some book clubs meet weekly, but they usually just read a portion of their chosen book at a time

But what do you think happens if you don't have time to read a book, or you don't like a book, or you just decide to read something else instead? A death sentence? Jail? Social ostracism? A BAD GRADE? :drama:

If it happens a lot, you're probably in the wrong book club. If it happens every now and then, you show up and tell everyone you didn't read it for whatever reason and then you listen while other people talk about it and you drink your wine or tea or coffee and maybe have some cake or something. Then you catch up on everyone's news and talk about what to read for next time. Or you can just skip that session altogether because it's a club, not a re-education camp.

As for it being hard to find people with the same tastes, I guess that would depend on how expansive your taste is. A lot of books become bestsellers because a lot of people like them, so I don't think it's all that difficult for most people to find fellow readers who like the same general things.

hanca

Values her privacy
Good lord.

In most book clubs, people nominate books, the members take a vote, and the winner is the book everyone will read. In others, member take turns choosing books. I don't know of any book clubs that read a book a week, although there probably are some. Some book clubs meet weekly, but they usually just read a portion of their chosen book at a time
Yes I understand that the whole group may take a vote on which book to read next, but that still doesn’t guarantee that it is something I would want to read. And if the members take turns, it can get even worse - I would read one book that I chose and then plenty of those which I may wonder how to avoid reading.
But what do you think happens if you don't have time to read a book, or you don't like a book, or you just decide to read something else instead? A death sentence? Jail? Social ostracism? A BAD GRADE? :drama:
Well, you sit there, have no clue what everyone is talking about, and wonder how to say politely that you found the book rubbish (and gave up after first chapter) when so many people may found it so great.

If it happens a lot, you're probably in the wrong book club. If it happens every now and then, you show up and tell everyone you didn't read it for whatever reason and then you listen while other people talk about it and you drink your wine or tea or coffee and maybe have some cake or something. Then you catch up on everyone's news and talk about what to read for next time. Or you can just skip that session altogether because it's a club, not a re-education camp.
I just can’t see how there can be a group of people who will be reading exactly the same books.

As for it being hard to find people with the same tastes, I guess that would depend on how expansive your taste is. A lot of books become bestsellers because a lot of people like them, so I don't think it's all that difficult for most people to find fellow readers who like the same general things.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Yes I understand that the whole group may take a vote on which book to read next, but that still doesn’t guarantee that it is something I would want to read. And if the members take turns, it can get even worse - I would read one book that I chose and then plenty of those which I may wonder how to avoid reading.
Like I said, if that happens a lot you are in the wrong book club.
Well, you sit there, have no clue what everyone is talking about, and wonder how to say politely that you found the book rubbish (and gave up after first chapter) when so many people may found it so great.
What on earth makes you think everyone else will find a book great? Or that you will find it rubbish?

Maybe you will love it and everyone else will think it's rubbish. Or maybe there will be a divided opinion.

Who cares? What is the big deal?
I just can’t see how there can be a group of people who will be reading exactly the same books.
But apparently other people can and can enjoy their book clubs as they see fit, while you are under no obligation whatsoever to join one.

Win win!

Baby Yoda On Skates

I love my book club. It is my guaranteed one night out a month and since it is sponsored by the public library, no one is obligated to spend money. Sometimes the book is awesome and I sail through it and sometimes it completely sucks and I don't finish it. But I love getting together with the other members. And people are free to trash whatever we were supposed to read.

Here's to hoping that the library goes back to letting sponsored book clubs meet off-site. I miss my margaritas.

Japanfan

The social aspect of book clubs are huge, especially for introverts.

I don't think I'm a candidate, as I am generally not much of a reader when it comes to the literature genre (done far too much literature tutoring/lit paper editing). I prefer fantasy and mystery books.

However, I have to say that I came to love certain lit genres as a student. Particularly Victorian literature - had an amazing teacher. Also a sci fi/fantasy class (hence my love the genre). It wasn't considered a serious lit focus at the time, but the head of the Lit Department at my uni wanted to teach it, and that was that.

All that said - anyone think 'The Worm Oroborus' (sp?) merits a reread? That was the one book in the class I could not get through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information