As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I've been reading a lot, but I've lost track of most of the books I've read. A few:

Human Remains: This book should come with all kinds of trigger warnings. A civilian analyst for the police (British) finds a long-dead body in a neighboring house; this leads to her investigating a sudden and alarming but previously unnoticed spike in the number of long-dead bodies found in homes in her city. No one is interested in this at first because the victims all appear to have died of natural causes, but events unfold. While this is a book about a lot of things, it's mostly about loneliness, isolation, depression and suicide; I thought of "Eleanor Rigby" the entire time I was reading it. It's also definitely not for the squeamish. But it is a book that will linger in my thoughts for a long time to come.

Act Natural: A Cultural History of Misadventures in Parenting: Think you are a failure as a parent? Think that people used to be a lot better at this parenting thing? Well, this book will set you straight. The author treats the subject matter lightly, but a lot of is :scream:.

The Big Finish: I found this on a list of feel-good books for people who wanted to read something happy; apparently it's on a lot of similar lists. Two old curmudgeons live in a retirement home; the granddaughter of one of them comes to hide out there for a few days under the pretext of getting to know her grandpa. One of the old curmudgeons sees right through her, but also sees her as a chance to do something good with his rather wasted life at long last.

Never Have I Ever: Yet another thriller-suspense novel with many twists, but I thought this was one of the better ones that I've read in a while. Amy has an ideal, happy life until Angelica Roux suddenly turns up in her neighborhood and lets Amy know that she knows Amy's secret and is willing to keep it--for a price. There are, of course, twists upon twists and everything becomes just terribly improbable, but I liked this one because Amy and Angelica are well-matched in their game of chess.

One Day You'll Burn: Speaking of improbable...this is the first in a series of books about Marcus Tullius "Tully" Jarsdel, an historian turned police detective on the Hollywood police force. I can easily believe an academic could become a police officer; what I can't believe is that said police force would think it a good idea to skip academics through the system and make them detectives over more experienced cops, even in Hollywood. But lalalala. There are too many things going on in this book--there's the plot, a subplot that doesn't make a lot of sense, an involved love interest that arises from the subplot and a backstory that seems designed more to make the protagonist an interesting character than anything else--but I thought it was interesting enough that I requested the next book in the series. I read a lot of complaints that the book goes off on too many tangents about history and culture and all kinds of things, but that was what I liked about it. :lol:

People Like Her: I had only the vaguest idea of what an Instagram influencer is before I read this book; after reading it, I wonder why on earth anyone would want be one. Emmy Jackson is an Instamum, a mommy influencer with hundreds of thousands of followers, much loved for her honesty. Only as we immediately learn, Emmy isn't exactly honest with her followers and one of her lies has led to a particularly malevolent enemy. I have to say this for the author--there isn't a single likable character in the entire book and no one gets what they truly deserve in any way; if you are looking for a moral core, look elsewhere. My favorite part was that the Instagram-star talent agent sent all her potential clients for a psychological profile to weed out the sociopaths and narcissists--so she could sign them up :lol:. The day after I finished reading it, I came across "The problem with “mom boss” culture," which addresses a lot of the same issues, only more seriously.

Susan1

Never Have I Ever: Yet another thriller-suspense novel with many twists, but I thought this was one of the better ones that I've read in a while. Amy has an ideal, happy life until Angelica Roux suddenly turns up in her neighborhood and lets Amy know that she knows Amy's secret and is willing to keep it--for a price. There are, of course, twists upon twists and everything becomes just terribly improbable, but I liked this one because Amy and Angelica are well-matched in their game of chess.
This one is on my list, along with her new one - Mother May I.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
One Day You'll Burn: Speaking of improbable...this is the first in a series of books about Marcus Tullius "Tully" Jarsdel, an historian turned police detective on the Hollywood police force. I can easily believe an academic could become a police officer; what I can't believe is that said police force would think it a good idea to skip academics through the system and make them detectives over more experienced cops, even in Hollywood. But lalalala.
The Met Police have actually sort of done this! About 5 years ago they opened up the detective career pathway for special constables, who are effectively volunteer police officers who have a focus on community engagement & public safety, although they have the same powers in terms of arrest as a normal officer. They do about 200 hours/year, and to apply for the detective stream, you need 2 years of experience as an special constable, so only 400 hours of police work in total. I think you also need a degree - it's designed to get more highly qualified detectives who might have otherwise been put off by having to do years as a beat constable. I know someone who moved from a career in PR into being a detective this way.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
The Met Police have actually sort of done this!
That must be where the author got the idea, then, as that is similar to what happens in the book--although in the book, the detective (there are two of them in this position) quit academia and went through the police academy just because he wanted to be a cop, and he was a regular patrol officer when he was jumped ahead of everyone else in line for detective because of his degrees. Everyone else, of course, does not like this at all and he is always the odd man out. I found that part of the book pretty tedious.

ryanj07

I read Lucy Foley’s The Guest List and really enjoyed it. It was a Reese Witherspoon book club pick. It’s a thriller that revolves around the wedding of a popular Irish TV presenter that takes place on a remote island. I liked that although you know there’s a death in the beginning, you don’t find out who it is until nearly the end. There’s also a limited cast so you’re able to get a feel for all of the important characters.

I also finished Kiley Reid’s Such a Fun Age and liked it more than I expected to based on mixed reviews. A suburban housewife becomes obsessed with befriending her sitter and goes overboard trying to “protect” her when she’s racially profiled in a grocery store. It’s not going on my favorites list but I’m glad that I read it.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I read Lucy Foley’s The Guest List and really enjoyed it. It was a Reese Witherspoon book club pick. It’s a thriller that revolves around the wedding of a popular Irish TV presenter that takes place on a remote island. I liked that although you know there’s a death in the beginning, you don’t find out who it is until nearly the end. There’s also a limited cast so you’re able to get a feel for all of the important characters.
The Hunting Party is very similar, at least in those aspects. Same author, story set in a remote location, you know someone is dead but not who it is right from the beginning, limited cast of characters so you know them all, etc. There are differences, too, but I had a distinct sense of deja vu while reading The Guest List.

LeafOnTheWind

I am currently reading As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Carey Elwes and Joe Layden. There are a lot of inserts from the other people from the film. There is nothing scandalous or earth shattering. It's just a feel good book with everyone talking about how much fun they had making the movie. Great for some feel good light reading that goes along with the feel good warm fuzzies from the film. If you get Audible, Carey Elwes narrates the book as well.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I finished Hamnet. It was both an interesting and annoying read. The last 40 pages were a trial, but I was determined to finish it. :lol:

I'm ready to go to the library tomorrow - I've got The Night Circus on hold, which I fear will be another love it/hate it book, and hopefully can score a peak pick book too. I just saw that I can actually go inside the library to check out my books now!

Tesla

Whippet Good
I'm ready to go to the library tomorrow - I've got The Night Circus on hold, which I fear will be another love it/hate it book,
I read this and loved but I understand the hate it side. I read it as if I were watching a movie.

mattiecat13

I just finished The Children's Blizzard. It was OK but the chapters about the reporter made the story drag, IMO.

puglover

I am kind of surprised that Gillian Flynn, to my knowledge, has not written another novel since "Gone Girl" back in 2012. I read her other novels "Sharp Objects" and "Dark Places". They are certainly not feel good stories but I never lost interest. I think she does other writing for scripts and such so maybe that is why she has not published another novel.

genevieve

Staff member
I was incorrect - did not get to go inside the library last weekend. I did pick up Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro on peak picks, and I tore through it. Of course I just read a bunch of reviews about why it's trash, but who cares what others think? :p
I've never read any of Ishiguro's books before, and haven't seen Remains of the Day or Never Let Me Go. TBH neither sounds very appealing, although many have said they re great.

So Night Circus is next!

millyskate

I finally finished “Grown Ups” by Marian Keyes so y’all don’t have to. I should have picked up that several in this thread had started and not finished it, and will no longer take my queues from Waterstones’ recommended table :lol:
For those who started it Liam turns out to be a creepy guy with a thing for very young women /girls and Nell ends up sleeping with the nephew Ferdia in a lighthouse. Jess and Johnny split up then get back together again after Jess who thought he was having an affair with Izzy realises he isn’t and Johnny becomes a tiny bit more assertive. Cara follows a treatment for people with Bulimia and then Ed leaves her after realising he is enabling her but she gets better and they get back together.

I’ve just started “The Strawberry Thief” from the same recommended Waterstones table and the awkwardly aspiring poetic language means I’ll struggle to get to the end of the first chapter.

flyingsit

Never Let Me Go is my favorite book. I re-read it every year and it changes for me every time.
Remains of the Day is absolutely not plot-driven; the language and characters are exquisite, however.

Erin

Banned Member
I went ahead and put it on hold even though the description still does not make it sound interesting

I thought it was pretty good. I don't know if I would give it quite as glowing a review as mjb52 did, but I liked it. It's short and easy to read though, so even if you don't like it, you won't waste much time on it.

I saw the movie before I read the book and one thing I found interesting is that in the movie, you kind of feel like you don't really have a good insight as to the inner thoughts and feelings of Stevens, the protagonist. And even though the book is told in first person from Stevens' point of view, I still felt the same after reading the book :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
I finally finished “Grown Ups” by Marian Keyes so y’all don’t have to. I should have picked up that several in this thread had started and not finished it, and will no longer take my queues from Waterstones’ recommended table :lol:
I really liked Rachel's Holiday, and for years later I'd read her books hoping that they would be as good, and they never were. So eventually I realized that one was clearly her best, and stopped reading Keyes.

I got about two pages into Naomi Novik's Spinning Silver, and dropped it because I'm still sad she's not writing more Temeraire books (even though that series had really run its course).

Last edited:

mjb52

I thought it was pretty good. I don't know if I would give it quite as glowing a review as mjb52 did, but I liked it. It's short and easy to read though, so even if you don't like it, you won't waste much time on it.

I saw the movie before I read the book and one thing I found interesting is that in the movie, you kind of feel like you don't really have a good insight as to the inner thoughts and feelings of Stevens, the protagonist. And even though the book is told in first person from Stevens' point of view, I still felt the same after reading the book :lol:

I think in some ways that's part of the point, but it is definitely not an unreasonable thing to point out! I'll put the following in spoilers even though it's mostly about the character, just in case For me, he has spent most of his life denying his own desires/thoughts/feelings and so that is reflected in the narration - you can't get insight into his inner thoughts and feelings when he has shut them down so completely even from himself. You have to really do a lot of reading between the lines, which I enjoy, because I feel like I am participating as a reader and being given the chance to think about things for myself instead of the author over-determining things for me. Generally, I like fiction where a lot is held back, but it's one of those things where a lot will depend on your own personal preferences in fiction. I enjoyed Never Let Me Go but far less than The Remains of the Day; now I'm trying to remember why exactly. I think something about the scenario in the novel bugged me, I couldn't quite suspend my disbelief - the movies actually worked better for me even though I read the book first, which is uncommon.

Last edited:

genevieve

Staff member
Generally, for me, I like fiction where a lot is held back, but it's one of those things where a lot will depend on your own personal preferences in fiction.
this is something that I liked a lot about Klara and the Sun. That book is also told from 1st person perspective, and I got a little bit of the same sense that Erin did about the protagonist in Remains of the Day, although the limited access to inner thoughts fits in with the character.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Ishiguro is really a master of that technique, love it or hate it! I like the way he does it, myself -- paradoxically, it helps me feel like I'm on the narrator's wavelength, because I'm learning things at the same time and in the same way he or she does. And in books like Klara and the Sun and Never Let Me Go, it really heightens the suspense.

Erin

Banned Member
I think in some ways that's part of the point, but it is definitely not an unreasonable thing to point out!

Oh, I know, I think it was completely the point! My point was more that I was impressed with how the author managed to accomplish it. Before I read the book, I would have assumed it had to have been written from either a third person point of view or Miss Kenton's, but doing it this way was far more interesting.

I enjoyed Never Let Me Go but far less than The Remains of the Day; now I'm trying to remember why exactly. I think something about the scenario in the novel bugged me, I couldn't quite suspend my disbelief - the movies actually worked better for me even though I read the book first, which is uncommon.

Yes, I agree about Never Let Me Go and about the scenario. And I think science fiction-y books always kind of bother me, which I didn't know going in that it was going to be. I can't remember if I ever ended up watching the movie for that one or not...even after watching the trailer, I'm still not sure. I'm leaning towards no, but either way, I don't think I need to see it.

Last edited:

mjb52

I think you guys have helped me pinpoint my problem with Never Let Me Go - since I already knew a lot about the plot going in, I ended up feeling impatient waiting for the characters to catch up with me. I would have been way better off reading it knowing less about the scenario and then I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

ryanj07

For those who started it Liam turns out to be a creepy guy with a thing for very young women /girls and Nell ends up sleeping with the nephew Ferdia in a lighthouse. Jess and Johnny split up then get back together again after Jess who thought he was having an affair with Izzy realises he isn’t and Johnny becomes a tiny bit more assertive. Cara follows a treatment for people with Bulimia and then Ed leaves her after realising he is enabling her but she gets better and they get back together.
I finished that one a few months ago and had the same issue with it. It took me over a month to get through and I usually enjoy most of her books.

flyingsit

Just finished Maggie Shipstead’s Astonish Me and was legitimately sad when it ended — not because of anything in the book but because I wanted it to keep going.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Okay, after slogging through tons of Cold War history books for a class, I can finally read whatever I want! Yay!

So of course, I immediately pick up a book about the Cold War. Don't judge me. Anyway, it was An American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson, and I really liked the book. However, the format is the narrator writing to her twin sons explaining why she has to go away and it takes a while to get used to, at least for me. The story is compelling enough that I stuck with it. My other warning is that there is no resolution. The reader knows what the narrator is going to do, but not if it it's done successfully. At first, I was irked, but now I think it works.

Next, at the advice of many students over the past years, I finally picked up the first book of the Percy Jackson series, and I really liked it, too. It helps to know Greek mythology, but it's not the end of the world if you don't. I checked out the second one today.

One of the books from my class was called The Rebellion of Ronald Reagan and I thought I'd hate every second of it, but it's even-handed and presents a lot of information I didn't know. I also didn't realize how much the Republican Party hated him towards the end of his presidency, given that he's practically a deity for them now. My favorite thing was learning that Erich Honecker was really miffed that Reagan said, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall," and not "Mr. Honecker, tear down this wall." :) Also, that line was weirdly controversial, mostly because the CIA completely misread Gorbachev and thought he'd retaliate in some way.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Also, that line was weirdly controversial, mostly because the CIA completely misread Gorbachev and thought he'd retaliate in some way.
I think US Intelligence completely biffed on the entire ending of the Cold War. At least that's what it seemed like to me as a spectator. The whole thing just seemed to come out of the blue as if it caught them unaware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information