2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

Marco

So Keegan is a basic lock for the 1st Olympic spot, and the second spot is between Conrad, Nam, Roman and now Wesley - with Wesley being a clear frontrunner in terms of SB this season being 10 points clear of Conrad and 15 points clear of Nam and Roman. Stephen has a decent debut but score wise is still behind some 25 poitns behind Wesley. Not sure if any of them have more international assignments before Nationals?

Nationals will be interesting. Even if Nam nails Nationals, I just don't know if he can be trusted with delivering when it matters.

Colonel Green

Nationals will be interesting. Even if Nam nails Nationals, I just don't know if he can be trusted with delivering when it matters.
Nam is arguably the steadiest in recent years, before his current motivation-delayed training.

But regardless, the #2 guy won’t be doing the team event, so I don’t think the fed trust is really in play. They’ll go with the highest non-Keegan finisher at nationals.

Marco

Nam is arguably the steadiest in recent years, before his current motivation-delayed training.

But regardless, the #2 guy won’t be doing the team event, so I don’t think the fed trust is really in play. They’ll go with the highest non-Keegan finisher at nationals.
In that case I hope the spot goes to an up and comer.

Jammers

So Keegan is a basic lock for the 1st Olympic spot, and the second spot is between Conrad, Nam, Roman and now Wesley - with Wesley being a clear frontrunner in terms of SB this season being 10 points clear of Conrad and 15 points clear of Nam and Roman. Stephen has a decent debut but score wise is still behind some 25 poitns behind Wesley. Not sure if any of them have more international assignments before Nationals?

And if Roman nails it would you have any more trust in him to deliver?

barbarafan

I'm positive that he finished last at Skate Canada, and that he skated better here, so that's progress. Let's see how Canadians goes now.
He had a violent nose bleed during his skate. He was turning his head every which way to keep the blood from shooting out over the ice. Apparently he is prone to them. In future I hope he is flown in a few days ahead of competitions to let his body settle down b4 competing.

skatingguy

decently
He had a violent nose bleed during his skate. He was turning his head every which way to keep the blood from shooting out over the ice. Apparently he is prone to them. In future I hope he is flown in a few days ahead of competitions to let his body settle down b4 competing.
He's been there since at least Wednesday.

Marco

Nope. But at least I will get to rewatch this great performance again and again.
See?! :inavoid:

But Roman is suddenly making a strong case for himself for that second spot. Let's see how Wesley responds at JGPF then. This is so exciting!

barbk

I had a big issue with nosebleeds over the past two years. One was so bad I ended up in the emergency room, where they used some kind of cocaine derivative to stop the bleeding. (Excitement is seeing the doctor unwrap something labeled "Poison" before cramming said something up your nose.) Anyway, the ER doc and my regular doc both advised saline spray, humidifiers, and vaseline. Still, the bleeds continued. I finally went to an ENT who said that there was a vessel stub sticking into my nasal cavity that needed to be cauterized. Not the most comfortable, but I haven't had a nosebleed since. All this to say....it may not be a case of letting his body settle down in a place before competing.

barbarafan

I had a big issue with nosebleeds over the past two years. One was so bad I ended up in the emergency room, where they used some kind of cocaine derivative to stop the bleeding. (Excitement is seeing the doctor unwrap something labeled "Poison" before cramming said something up your nose.) Anyway, the ER doc and my regular doc both advised saline spray, humidifiers, and vaseline. Still, the bleeds continued. I finally went to an ENT who said that there was a vessel stub sticking into my nasal cavity that needed to be cauterized. Not the most comfortable, but I haven't had a nosebleed since. All this to say....it may not be a case of letting his body settle down in a place before competing.
I was thinking more of altitudes out west and reactions to flying....ie I have a sister in Edmonton. The few times I have flown out there to visit my body experiences certain changes. It is mostly swelling in the feet and ankles...Last time I flew out there was for a wedding and I brought 2 pr of my dress shoes, my runners and white summer sandals. I ended up having to wear the sandals as my good shoes would not go on my feet.
But yes nosebleeds can be warning signs of other problems. Just recently I was poisoned by a medication I had been taking. One of the first signs I had was that there was not an actual nose bleed but each morning I would blow my nose and there was quite a bit of blood that would come out. Then I had trouble breathing when I was walking but my doctor was out of town. When he returned I went to see him and he and 2 other doctors had me walk with the thingie on my finger. MY heart registered funny so doctor rushed me downstairs to emergency. Turns out the poisoning was killing all my bloods, white blood cells. red ones and platelets hence the trouble breathing as well as the heart nonsense. I had quite a few transfusions before I went home. I had never heard of this stuff nor what you were explaining above.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Is Michael Slipchuk usually standing at the boards during GP events? Talk about pressure!
He is the Skate Canada High Performance Director and when he goes as the Team Leader, as he was at Rostelecom, he is usually at the boards with the coach.

dramagrrl

Nam skated on the outdoor rink at Union Station (in Toronto) today to celebrate this year's opening of the rink. I don't think it was publicized - it seemed to be in the middle of the day and maybe was meant to be a media-only event, but in the short clips I saw on Instagram Stories, passers-by seemed to be watching as well.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Challenge thread in Kiss & Cry:
Gogolev's winning FS (157.30) starts here in the replay: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x861qgw?start=10468
He landed 3Lz, 4S, 3A, 3F+1Eu+3S, 3A+2T, 3F+2T, 3Lo (no negative GOEs on his protocol sheet): https://cssterminalserv.skatecanada.ca/results/22CHALLSeniorMenFP2DRO.pdf
Ted Barton's interview last night with (a typically laconic ;)) Gogolev & Lee Barkell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMHtG3SFgsY

Gogolev has the Worlds FS minimum (64) from Warsaw Cup but lacks the SP (34) minimum.

Last edited:

honey

I think Nam is going back to his 2019/2020 Beatles fp.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWWAONFk5S/?utm_medium=copy_link

He also posted a clip of him skating to his That’s Life sp the other day.

I think this is a great idea. I think Nam with upbeat music has always been stronger than Nam skating to more serious pieces. While it’s close to nationals, I still think switching the programs is a good idea. Lighten the mood a bit and maybe manufacturer some excitement and motivation (that seems to have been lacking thus far in the season).

J

Jeschke

Ah, I am a bit :(
I really liked both programs of Nam this season!
Hopefully the SP stays at least!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information