Dancing With the Stars - Season 30

screech

Derek Hough just posted that he has a breakthrough ********* case

How will this work for the show? Just yesterday he was sitting next to the other judges, and in the same space as all the contestants. I'm guessing everybody involved in the show is now being tested, even if they weren't within 6 feet for a prolonged period

If everyone else is good to go, I'm assuming this will mean Derek will have to judge virtually, or not at all for the finale. Or they'll have a guest judge.
If any of the finalists test positive, I wonder what they will do? There's been little rehearsal time, so it would be hard to judge rehearsal footage like with Cody/Cheryl.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Just yesterday he was sitting next to the other judges,
The judges are sitting farther apart than they used to so that they don't infect each other.

From what I know, if you are involved in producing shows/films/etc in Hollywood, the protocol is to test everyone every couple of days (my friend got tested every 3 days but that was before vaccines were available). So hopefully they are doing that and keeping cast and crew as far apart as possible so as not to cause an outbreak.

screech

The judges are sitting farther apart than they used to so that they don't infect each other.

From what I know, if you are involved in producing shows/films/etc in Hollywood, the protocol is to test everyone every couple of days (my friend got tested every 3 days but that was before vaccines were available). So hopefully they are doing that and keeping cast and crew as far apart as possible so as not to cause an outbreak.
They do sit at least 6 feet apart, but we know that Bruno at least gets into the other judges space. And we also don't see what happens before/after the show . I'm sure they're doing their best to keep people separated, but there's makeup trailers, craft services, wardrobe, probably chatting outside their trailers...
Since yesterday was the live show where everyone was around each other, I'm sure the plan was to test everyone today anyway.

It would be terrible if one of the finalists tested positive as they haven't had much practice time to be recorded. If a pro tested positive, they'd likely be able to swap out with one of the eliminated pros.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
And huge kudos to Daniella - 2 years as a pro, and she's made the finals both times with stars who are not natural dancers (Nelly was last year)
Imagine what she could do with someone where there isn’t a height or stiffness handicap. She is now my favorite pro.

Desperado

The judges picked Amanda over Suni? What am I missing?

I didn’t realize Amanda lost her husband to ****. How heartbreaking.

Aaron MB Fan

I’m not surprised to see Cody in the finals. Peloton is so intense it’s like a cult, and in many social circles I know, everyone has a Peloton. My US office at work has so many Peloton riders they do work joint rides together. So I am not surprised to see Cody in the finals never having been in the Bottom 2.

He’s definitely the least strongest contestant left, and I know he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m so thrilled for him and also for Cheryl!!! Hope they perform their best dances of the season next week.

screech

He had a truly horrible time with Covid. From his wikipedia:

Cordero was initially diagnosed with pneumonia and admitted to a hospital on March 30, 2020, where he was later diagnosed with COVID-19 during the COVID-19 pandemic in Los Angeles in critical condition, on a ventilator, and being treated with dialysis and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). On April 18, 2020, his right leg was amputated due to a blood clot as a result of complications from his illness. By May 1, 2020, he had major lung damage including "holes in his lungs" and lung scarring, and had a tracheostomy tube placed.
He died on July 5, 2020 after spending 95 days in the hospital.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

If you watch Blue Bloods he was my favorite villain - Victor Hugo. Nick Cordero was one of the 1st well-known persons in the US to die from ********. It was especially heart-breaking because he was treated for months to no avail. He was extremely talented.

ETA posted while screech was posting the same thing

screech

AND, their son was born in 2019, so while her husband was going through this, and she was going through such a difficult time, she also had a baby to look after.

I may not love her on DWTS, but even aside from the emotional performance this week, I think she was consistently better than Suni, who didn't really show much improvement until the last couple weeks. Plus, Suni had been in the bottom before - it's hard to justify keeping someone who's been in the bottom and has not been consistent, over someone who has done well the entire season.

AnnM

Man, there must be a ton of peloton people. How else can you explain Cody being in the top 3?
Cody is one of the most popular Peloton instructors, with a huge FB fan group that is very organized about voting every week. His personality isn't for everyone, but his spirit has helped a lot of people out of some dark times and he's very good about interacting with his fans in person and on social media. But the Peloton community is supportive of each other across the board, so even the many other instructors and their own fan groups have been diligent about getting out the vote and promoting his appearance on DWTS. You're also talking about a group of people who are pretty disciplined, scheduling their time to vote like they schedule workouts. So yeah, there's a lot of us and we're committed!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
The thing with Amanda, as well as Jojo, is that both have had professional dance training prior to DWTS. It's an unfair advantage over the other contestants imo. Yes, ballroom dancing was not their respective genres but still, both had a strong base in dance. Suni should still be there, as well as some of the others.

screech

So I was just reading an article in the lead up to the finale and they kept referring to Jenna as Jenna Johnson Chmerkovskiy. I checked her Wikipedia, and yep, she's taken her married name. It's definitely a mouthful to say that whole thing, so I can understand why she's kept her maiden name professionally.
The article basically said that everyone (Cheryl included) thinks JoJo and Jenna are the frontrunners. And compared JoJo and Jenna's chemistry to that of Jenna and Adam from the season they won, and I can definitely see that.

I can't vote, being in not being in the US (though we used to be able to), but I really hope the non-Peleton cult members come out and vote for people other than Cody. Yes, it's a popularity show, but it's also a DANCING show. And if there's another Bobby Bones situation where the worst scoring dancer wins... well with that paired with Tyra's hosting, I'm not sure the show can handle that much backlash again.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The thing with Amanda, as well as Jojo, is that both have had professional dance training prior to DWTS. It's an unfair advantage over the other contestants imo. Yes, ballroom dancing was not their respective genres but still, both had a strong base in dance. Suni should still be there, as well as some of the others.
I've given up on the show's original premise that you take stars who are inexperienced in dance and see what they can do when paired with a professional. The show seems to have given up on it so it's fruitless to bemoan when the stars have dance training.

vgerdes

Nick Cordero was one of the 1st well-known persons in the US to die from ********. It was especially heart-breaking because he was treated for months to no avail. He was extremely talented.
As someone who briefly knew Nick, if only as a passing acquaintance with whom I remained friends on Facebook for many years, it was a truly heartbreaking -- and horrifying -- thing to watch as it unfolded. I felt so much for him and his family. "Live Your Life" became the anthem that people rallied around in an effort to lift up Nick and get him through the battle, organizing regular Zoom sing-alongs for him with participants from all over the country, including some pretty famous celebs as well as everyday folks. It was a brave choice for Amanda to dance to it, IMO.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I didn't know Nick but a college friend was performing with him before the lockdown and posted lots of updates on FB as to his condition. It was one of the earliest deaths of a celebrity and the Broadway community, in particular, was hit pretty hard by it.

pixie cut

I've given up on the show's original premise that you take stars who are inexperienced in dance and see what they can do when paired with a professional. The show seems to have given up on it so it's fruitless to bemoan when the stars have dance training.

Maybe taking stars who are inexperienced in dance was part of the original proposal for the show, but that premise was done by Stacy Keibler in season two and Mario Lopez, Willa Ford and Monique Coleman in season three. When Lindsay Arnold danced a trio routine with Jordan Fisher (her celebrity partner) and Corbin Bleu (a past celebrity contestant) it was comparable to any pro routine that had ever been on the show. So complaining that JoJo and Amanda have dance training is ridiculous.

screech

Maybe taking stars who are inexperienced in dance was part of the original proposal for the show, but that premise was done by Stacy Keibler in season two and Mario Lopez, Willa Ford and Monique Coleman in season three. When Lindsay Arnold danced a trio routine with Jordan Fisher (her celebrity partner) and Corbin Bleu (a past celebrity contestant) it was comparable to any pro routine that had ever been on the show. So complaining that JoJo and Amanda have dance training is ridiculous.
That truly was a brilliant dance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5MpIyTxsUQ
What was amazing about it is that they all danced equally, they all danced with each other, and no one person stood out above any other.
So many of the contestants have at least some dance training. All figure skaters have some (at least from the younger years when there are compulsory dance tests)
Here's an article that discusses some of those with experience, and the thoughts on that from other competitors. Nelly, for example, said he might not have taken part if he'd known he'd be against experienced dancers

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think there is a big difference between having taken some ballet classes when you were a kid and being, basically, a professional dancer. I love JoJo but she came to fame on the show Dance Moms and currently has a show called Siwas Dance Pop Revolution. That's why she has that great performance ability and also is so coachable.

I'm still going to vote for next week. :D I have it marked in my calendar so I don't forget!

vgerdes

I didn't know Nick but a college friend was performing with him before the lockdown and posted lots of updates on FB as to his condition. It was one of the earliest deaths of a celebrity and the Broadway community, in particular, was hit pretty hard by it.
It made the cover of People magazine. It hit me pretty hard, and I wasn't even close to him. Some of my friends, who were very close to him, still get teary-eyed when they talk about it.

screech

I think there is a big difference between having taken some ballet classes when you were a kid and being, basically, a professional dancer. I love JoJo but she came to fame on the show Dance Moms and currently has a show called Siwas Dance Pop Revolution. That's why she has that great performance ability and also is so coachable.

I'm still going to vote for next week. :D I have it marked in my calendar so I don't forget!
Oh, I agree. And there's also a different between Nick Lachey who had performing experience but was definitely not a dancer in his boyband heyday (IIRC on DWTS he even said that 98 Degrees was the non-dancing band); and Joey Fatone who was in NSYNC which DEFINITELY involved a lot of dancing.
But I do love when a non-dancer comes out and wows and amazes you. Like Bindi Irwin, Gilles Marini, Apollo Anton Ohno, Kelly (and Jack) Osbourne, Rumer Willis, James Hinchcliffe (who I still think should have won), Frankie Muniz...

pixie cut

Oh, I agree. And there's also a different between Nick Lachey who had performing experience but was definitely not a dancer in his boyband heyday (IIRC on DWTS he even said that 98 Degrees was the non-dancing band); and Joey Fatone who was in NSYNC which DEFINITELY involved a lot of dancing.
But I do love when a non-dancer comes out and wows and amazes you. Like Bindi Irwin, Gilles Marini, Apollo Anton Ohno, Kelly (and Jack) Osbourne, Rumer Willis, James Hinchcliffe (who I still think should have won), Frankie Muniz...
It is enormous fun to watch someone with little dance background be great. Look at Iman Shumpert. He has done lifts that take your breath away and he moves quite well. After 30 seasons the complaints about trained dancers like JoJo and Amanda need to stop.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Well I don't think it's ridiculous and I was stating my opinion. No call to be so rude. I rarely watch DWTS - it was my understanding that that is or was the premise of the show. If it's not, so be it. I don't have to like it and I stand by my opinions.

pixie cut

Well I don't think it's ridiculous and I was stating my opinion. No call to be so rude. I rarely watch DWTS - it was my understanding that that is or was the premise of the show. If it's not, so be it. I don't have to like it and I stand by my opinions.
OK

screech

So as usual the finale will start with a fusion dance, then end with the freestyles.

Fusion Dance​

• JoJo Siwa and Jenna Johnson will perform a Tango and Cha Cha fusion dance to “I Love It” by Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX.
  • Iman Shumpert and Daniella Karagach will perform a Cha Cha and Foxtrot fusion dance to “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire.
  • Amanda Kloots and Alan Bersten will perform a Viennese Waltz and Paso Doble fusion dance to “Never Tear Us Apart” by Bishop Briggs.
  • Cody Rigsby and Cheryl Burke will perform a Paso Doble and Cha Cha fusion dance to “Free Your Mind” by En Vogue.

Freestyle Dance​

• JoJo and Jenna will perform a freestyle dance to “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga.
  • Iman and Daniella will perform a freestyle dance to a medley of “Lose Control” by Missy Elliot feat. Ciara & Fat Man Scoop and “Bounce” by DJ Client.
  • Amanda and Alan will perform a freestyle dance to “A Sky Full of Stars” by Coldplay.
  • Cody and Cheryl Burke will perform a freestyle dance to a medley of “Beethoven’s Fifth” and “Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels (Just Dance Version)” by Todrick Hall.

I haven't read anything about Derek heading into tonight. I am trying to mentally prepare myself for Cody winning, as wrong as that would be.

BaileyCatts

I feel like voting for Cody just to tick people off if he wins. :rofl: eh, maybe not. I mean its pretty clear JoJo is going to win. Any polls out there that says who is the strong second? Maybe I'll toss my votes to that person. Probably Iman I would think?

screech

I feel like voting for Cody just to tick people off if he wins. :rofl: eh, maybe not. I mean its pretty clear JoJo is going to win. Any polls out there that says who is the strong second? Maybe I'll toss my votes to that person. Probably Iman I would think?
I'm really thinking we might get a Bobby Bones situation with Cody.

Based on dancing, JoJo should win. Though he's not the best dancer, I think Iman might be second ranked, as you can see his improvement, and he's really likeable. Technically Amanda would be the second best dancer, but I don't think she's connecting with the viewers.

I know the show is supposed to be 50% scores and 50% viewers, but I do think the scores should have a little more weight (maybe 60-40), as it is supposed to be a dancing show, not just a popularity show.

Aaron MB Fan

I'll be voting for Cody tonight!!! #BooCrew :love:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information