Alysa Liu Switches to Colorado Coaching Team

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Just a note to those suggesting otherwise- a direct quote from Arthur Liu to Hersh:

3 / Asked why change, Arthur Liu wrote: "Alysa greatly appreciates both Massimo and Jeremy and I also thank both of them for taking care of her. I felt Alysa needed more intensity in her training and the coaches and I were not on the same page as to how the training should be."

sk9tingfan

What makes the most sense to me is the suggestion that the coaches might have been fired because Jeremy Abbott will be going off to tour with Stars on Ice at a critical time when Alysa needs a coach who can maintain her jumps, and at the very least, not lose ground 2 months before the Olympics. At most, since Massimo and Jeremy together have been advancing her technique a bit at a time, there would be every expectation that this steady improvement would continue over the next months or at least be stable.

I mean, can you imagine Frank Carroll leaving his Olympic-hopeful skaters at such a time, to go tour in an ice show? Or John Nicks, or Rafael, or anyone who takes his or her coaching vocation seriously?

Wiki says that it was announced on Sept. 25, 2013 that Frank Carroll would be Gracie Gold's coach. That's 4 months from the Olympics. Gracie came in 4th in Sochi. Granted, that's twice as much as 2 months. But with Alysa's sunny, stable personality, I wouldn't count out the possibility that she'll take it all in stride. Hunker down and put all her energies toward Nationals and Olympics. I join others who hope that she'd be training with Christy Krall. But there are options in Colorado, and as someone has mentioned, a whole system of resources. I recall Ashley Wagner and Raf spending a month in Colorado before an important competition just for the benefit of the altitude training and the system supporting the skaters.

Whatever happens, I think Alysa is grounded enough to pull it off. I want to see her keep skating. She has such natural talent and a happy, unaffected spirit. She brings herself and many who watch her skating a great deal of joy.
I just had a thought and it is pure conjecture. I wonder if Alysa has verbalized frustration herself at not being able to fully rotate jumps and asked for help. As skylark said, she is very grounded and may have the innate sense to request action without any histrionics. Meanwhile, her latest announcement was that she got bangs....:D

tony

That sounds like an oblique reference to potentially Jeremy going off to do shows. But maybe there are other distractions as well.
No, I can confidently say it has nothing to do with Abbott being gone for X amount of time and rather Arthur Liu wanting Alysa's technical abilities magically capable of something like multiple-quad programs by Beijing. Honestly, all the best wishes to Alysa but that's a tall order for him to 'decide' hastily following a Grand Prix event and just over a month before Nationals IMO. One would think he would have seen the progress prior to any internationals this season and known it wasn't enough.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So, is he the one behind the whack decision to go for the 3A in the SP at her GP events?

tony

On a more positive outlook: I often bring up Viktor Pfeifer's skating quality, his transitions into his jumps (his transitions into the Lutz are probably the best I've ever seen), the way he held the landings, and his beautiful programs. He was doing amazing things with younger skaters prior to his move to Colorado, and I'm sure he, Meekins, and Krall can also do great things in time with Alysa.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
On a more positive outlook: I often bring up Viktor Pfeifer's skating quality, his transitions into his jumps (his transitions into the Lutz are probably the best I've ever seen), the way he held the landings, and his beautiful programs. He was doing amazing things with younger skaters prior to his move to Colorado, and I'm sure he, Meekins, and Krall can also do great things in time with Alysa.
"In time" being the operative phrase there. I agree this is the best of the Colorado choices, but whew Arthur look at your life look at your choices.

Lizziebeth

I agree about Viktor. This team sounds great and I just hope they have enough time to do what they want to do for Alysa. Altitude is good too.

feraina

Honestly it just feels like to me he’s already decided he will only support her skating through this season and then she will go to college - with acceptance and maybe a scholarship at a good school being the justification for having sunk that much money in her skating. So he wants to help her reach her best possible result at the Olympics. And that’s it. It doesn’t sound like he’s planning on supporting her skating for another quad or something, in order to reach her long term potential. So there isn’t any time left. I don’t think anyone should judge him unless they want to pay for Alysa’s training. He has many other kids to take care of and look after financially too.

It just shows that the skating training system in our country is broken. At least broken compared to other countries. If the most promising young woman who’s come on the scene in at least a decade can’t find the financial resources to keep training then we’ll never be able to compete with countries like Russia. I can only hope that Alysa will be able to find the independent financial means herself, once she gets a little older, to finance her own training.

Or USFSA can step up big time and find her a major sponsor or something. The very fact that Arthur is calling all the shots alone also means he must be bearing all the financial costs alone. Otherwise he would have to inform/consult somebody.

Last edited:

b-man

I don't see her finishing behind all of the Japanese women - two, yes, but the top US lady is NOT going to finish behind all three of the Japanese women, nor will she finish behind BOTH Korean women. At worst, we are talking about 8th and, if the tech panel is generous/she goes clean, she could be the highest non-Russian finisher (ie 4th).
Leona H. also a contender, I believe has 219 this year. I can't see Alysa beating Kaori.

Tavi

I agree about Viktor. This team sounds great and I just hope they have enough time to do what they want to do for Alysa. Altitude is good too.
Altitude may eventually be a great benefit, but even some elite athletes take time to adapt. I think I recall Jason saying he needed supplemental oxygen for the first year. I’m not anywhere near an elite athlete 😂 but when I was transferred from Chicago to Denver it took me several months to acclimatize.

Hopefully she’ll have a seamless transition.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I read Dominique Moceanu's book, so I'm not a huge fan of the OTC dorms for teenage girls. Sincerely hope Alysa is not being asked to adjust to living in a dorm on her own for the first time in her life, a few months before what may be her best shot at the Olympics.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
At first, I was thinking ”what coach would risk their reputation on taking Alysa for the run up to the Os”, but now I think I get it. Krall is older than many of us and her reputation won’t change much regardless of the outcome. And, because she’s nearing retirement, she may have power over daddy with 4 simple words “don’t like it, leave”.

Vagabond

This is from September of this year:

boopboop said:
Alysa has stated in an interview that she hopes to skate until the 2026 Milan Olympics. I believe she said this in a post JGPF/Junior Worlds interview, so obviously she may have changed her mind since, but I'm more inclined to believe the words that came out of Alysa's own mouth than Dave Lease's "sources"

Does anyone have a link to the interview? @boopboop?

canbelto

Many Asian skater parents don't want skating to be the end goal. Like even Nathan Chen or Vincent Zhou (who are way higher up on the medal food chain) -- their parents insisted they go to college as well. Michelle Kwan's parents also insisted she develop a non-skating career.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I believe that Alysa already has a major sponsor through this season - Toyota, right?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
The good thing about Colorado springs for Alyssa is also that she’ll be living at the dorms at the Olympic training center. I would guess?
I dont know, and really have zero knowledge about the Olympic Training Center in CO Springs. But the skating community in Co Springs with Tom Z, Delilah S, etc, I find it hard to believe she could/would escape those influences.

Sure, she's not training with them. But as we always say - the skating community/interacts with each other is fairly exclusive in the top athletes.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

Philip Hersh
@olyphil
·
1m

1 / Just got official word on the Alysa Liu coaching situation in a text from her father, Arthur. She has left Massimo Scali and Jeremy Abbott and her SF Bay Area training base and has moved to Colorado Springs to train with Christy Krall, Drew Meekins and Viktor Pfeifer.
Another part of the same Twitter thread: Asked why change, Arthur Liu wrote: "Alysa greatly appreciates both Massimo and Jeremy and I also thank both of them for taking care of her. I felt Alysa needed more intensity in her training and the coaches and I were not on the same page as to how the training should be."

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
Another part of the same Twitter thread: Asked why change, Arthur Liu wrote: "Alysa greatly appreciates both Massimo and Jeremy and I also thank both of them for taking care of her. I felt Alysa needed more intensity in her training and the coaches and I were not on the same page as to how the training should be."

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The article says she moved there 2 days after returning from NHK Trophy so she has already been there for a week. Any :sekret: on how it's going?

I hope it goes well for her...

Meanwhile, her latest announcement was that she got bangs....:D
Also: :eek:

Erin

Banned Member
I read Dominique Moceanu's book, so I'm not a huge fan of the OTC dorms for teenage girls. Sincerely hope Alysa is not being asked to adjust to living in a dorm on her own for the first time in her life, a few months before what may be her best shot at the Olympics.

I don’t believe athletes under 18 are generally allowed to stay at the dorms. It was one of the reasons USAG didn’t want to hold their training camps there. Not sure if Moceanu was an exception because she was an emancipated minor or because the policy was different in 1999. But I assume Alysa will find alternative living arrangements.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

This is very concerning. The coaches are the experts, not him.

skylark

Abbot's mid-December tour will be at maximum two weeks including rehearsal time, not two months. The tour starts on the last day of the Grand Prix Final. A parent would not be happy if the coach cannot accompany the child to GPF, but the holiday season in US will follow any way.

I didn't say Abbott would be gone for two months. If you read my whole sentence (copied again below), that should be clear. And if he's gone for 2 weeks? that's one quarter of two months. Not insignificant. Since we now know Mr. Liu's views on the "intensity" of her training, that doesn't preclude a 2-week period without a jump coach being part of the equation. Also, I can readily imagine Alysa herself not wanting to take extra time off during the holiday season, in the run-up to Nationals Jan. 6. It sounds to me like Alysa is part of the decision.

Not that my opinion matters to them, but I'm happy the coaching team is Krall, Meekins, and Viktor, all of whom I've read good things about. Someone suggested the new coaches wouldn't be glad to take a skater on at this juncture. But I don't see it that way. Maybe they look on this as an adventure and are imagining what might be possible. Rather than seeing it as a big fat negative, which appears to be a dominant theme around here.

From what I've learned about Alysa from interviews and such, I rather hope she's staying with a host family. That would be the kind of environment she's used to.

@SkateFanBerlin said:
feel sorry for such a young girl having all this pressure swarming around her.

Maybe Alysa doesn't experience it as pressure. Maybe she sees is as her opportunity.

@skylark said:
What makes the most sense to me is the suggestion that the coaches might have been fired because Jeremy Abbott will be going off to tour with Stars on Ice at a critical time when Alysa needs a coach who can maintain her jumps, and at the very least, not lose ground 2 months before the Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information