Alysa Liu Switches to Colorado Coaching Team

layman

i wouldn't blame them for that. Coaching, costumes, ice time, etc., for another 4 years with no guarantee of an OGM in 4 years against the upcoming Russian juniors is expensive. If she's not earning income from skating, it's just for fun and that's expensive fun.
Still, no one anywhere on the planet can fix her (technical) problems in 2 to 3 months. This abrupt change (at the last possible moment) will only make things worse.

skatinggold

Maybe there is not enough top ranked skaters in Oakland to push Alysa to the next level. On Alysa's Tiktok, you can see that she is living a normal teenage life, hanging out with friends and eating ice cream which normal skater don't do. She has skating friends in Colorado Springs like Young You. Maybe her father wants her to focus on skating and only skating, there are too many distractions if she stayed in the Bay Area. Plus, what else can Scali do for Alysa at this point, he is an ice dancer not a technician, and Jeremy seems like he is not around as much. Alysa needs to focus more now on her technical side of things. Alysa main goals now is to fix her under-rotation, land the quad lutz and probably add another quad and she will be a contender for a medal. Two months is short, but knowing how Alysa improves so fast, it might happen. Plus this is probably Alysa's final year in skating, so either go for the gold or go home broke.

layman

Maybe there is not enough top ranked skaters in Oakland to push Alysa to the next level. On Alysa's Tiktok, you can see that she is living a normal teenage life, hanging out with friends and eating ice cream which normal skater don't do. She has skating friends in Colorado Springs like Young You. Maybe her father wants her to focus on skating and only skating, there are too many distractions if she stayed in the Bay Area. Plus, what else can Scali do for Alysa at this point, he is an ice dancer not a technician, and Jeremy seems like he is not around as much. Alysa needs to focus more now on her technical side of things. Alysa main goals now is to fix her under-rotation, land the quad lutz and probably add another quad and she will be a contender for a medal. Two months is short, but knowing how Alysa improves so fast, it might happen. Plus this is probably Alysa's final year in skating, so either go for the gold or go home broke.
I don't want to be a naysayer but just fixing her under-rotations on what she is currently attempting is a tall, tall order. Adding a quad (with her current technique) is simply impossible in 2 -3 months (even using dartfish or whatever else they might try).

canbelto

Maybe there is not enough top ranked skaters in Oakland to push Alysa to the next level. On Alysa's Tiktok, you can see that she is living a normal teenage life, hanging out with friends and eating ice cream which normal skater don't do.
I don't get why normal skaters wouldn't do this. Skaters aren't relegated to eating crackers, you know.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Alysa’s urs are definitely a problem but this just seems like a bad idea. It is way to close to nationals and the Olympics. And there is not much time for her to adjust to a new coaching team, forget actually fixing anything. Also, Colorado is really the last place I think she should go.

Let me ask this what was wrong with her original coach Laura? That’s where she had all the success. I thought it was strange when she left Laura

layman

Not the Cricket Club - she was supposed to work with Lori Nicol & Lee Barkell but there were issues with the border closure last summer.
The whole Lori Nichol/Lee Barkell thing only came about after Orser said no. Alysa went to the Cricket club (to try out) but it did not work out. All the (abrupt) changes since then just reek more and more of desperation.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Wasn't part of the original plan when she left Lipetsky to go to Orser? I wonder why they're not doing that.
For starters, it is the middle of the season and I would say the same reasons that have been suggested for why Raf might turn her down mid-November would apply to Orser and the rest of the Cricket Club staff. Second, Orser/Cricket Club has Kihira.

I suppose that Mie Hamada/Tammy Gambill are a better option than Tom Z but I'm really concerned about it if Tom Z is the one engineering this because I'm cynical enough to think that means Bradie is out for the season.

layman

For starters, it is the middle of the season and I would say the same reasons that have been suggested for why Raf might turn her down mid-November would apply to Orser and the rest of the Cricket Club staff. Second, Orser/Cricket Club has Kihira.

I suppose that Mie Hamada/Tammy Gambill are a better option than Tom Z but I'm really concerned about it if Tom Z is the one engineering this because I'm cynical enough to think that means Bradie is out for the season.
I am afraid that you may be right.

love skating

Clueless American
This coach change news makes me sad and people saying this is her last year of skating makes me even sadder! :(

I just want to keep enjoying watching her joyful skating for years to come. I feel like she's just starting out and I want to see her continue to improve, so I am holding out hope that this year is not the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information