USFS' Athlete Selection Procedures for 2022 Olympics

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Ohhhh.... @Theatregirl1122 you are right, it is "or." Both Groups 3 and 4 are Nationals OR international results.

It remains to be seen how this framework is applied, but on its face it does a good job at protecting skaters with strong international records who have a bad Nationals but valuing Nationals results for everybody else.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I changed my mind about Karen last year. She is a true contender. Just because she had a bad skate at skate Canada I don’t expect her next Grand Prix assignment to be the same way. She isn’t consistent yes but when she’s on she’s on.

VGThuy

I changed my mind about Karen last year. She is a true contender. Just because she had a bad skate at skate Canada I don’t expect her next Grand Prix assignment to be the same way. She isn’t consistent yes but when she’s on she’s on.
It just made me so sad to see her reaction to that 114 score. Twenty off of her Worlds 2021 score. I think she knew to expect some calls but not that low of a score. She looked defeated. I hope she has fire left to just skate with purpose and fire at her next GP. If she doesn't then, I, a huge Karen fan, wouldn't mind if she was left off the team. It gets tiring rooting for hot/cold skaters who are mostly cold. Not that it's their fault, but my nerves can only take so much as a fan, :lol:.

Sylvia

TBD
People are discussing Bradie Tennell's uncertain status in the U.S. Women's thread so I decided to except a relevant section from page 12 of the selection procedures linked in post #1:

D. Petition Process

Notwithstanding the process identified in the preceding sections of these Selection Procedures, U.S. Figure Skating recognizes that extraordinary and unforeseen circumstances may occur which would cause an athlete otherwise deserving of a spot on the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team indicated by their previous competition results to be unable to participate in the 2022 Toyota U.S Figure Skating Championships.

Petition Rights: Athletes may petition to U.S Figure Skating’s International Committee for the right to be selected as a 2022 Olympic Games participating athlete.

A petition in writing for consideration must be submitted to the International Committee Chair no less than two hours prior to the IC Discipline Subcommittee meeting for the petitioner’s respective event, unless the athlete is injured or becomes ill during the last segment of the 2022 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships and has to withdraw from the event. These athletes/teams will be able to petition the IC Discipline Subcommittee for nomination to the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team after the event concludes and prior to the IC Discipline Subcommittee’s meeting for the petitioner’s respective event.

All petitions must be filled out using the petition form (attachment A) and must state the specific injury, illness or unusual circumstance, which prohibited the athlete from participating at or caused early withdrawal from the 2022 Toyota U.S Figure Skating Championships.

In the case of a petition based upon an injury or illness, the petition must be accompanied by a physician’s statement, and the nature and extent of that injury or illness is subject to verification by a doctor approved by U.S Figure Skating.

Athletes must also be able to demonstrate competitive, consistent and trending results through the events listed in 1.2.1.

A successfully petitioned 2022 U.S. Olympic Team athlete must be able to prove his/her ability to compete by performing complete competition programs with all planned program elements by a specified date, as approved and reviewed by a monitoring panel to be determined by the appropriate IC Discipline Subcommittee. In addition, medical personnel approved by U.S. Figure Skating must verify that the athlete(s) will be physically ready to compete at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.

wickedwitch

From page 12 of the selection procedures linked in post #1:

D. Petition Process

Notwithstanding the process identified in the preceding sections of these Selection Procedures, U.S. Figure Skating recognizes that extraordinary and unforeseen circumstances may occur which would cause an athlete otherwise deserving of a spot on the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team indicated by their previous competition results to be unable to participate in the 2022 Toyota U.S Figure Skating Championships.

Petition Rights: Athletes may petition to U.S Figure Skating’s International Committee for the right to be selected as a 2022 Olympic Games participating athlete.

A petition in writing for consideration must be submitted to the International Committee Chair no less than two hours prior to the IC Discipline Subcommittee meeting for the petitioner’s respective event, unless the athlete is injured or becomes ill during the last segment of the 2022 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships and has to withdraw from the event. These athletes/teams will be able to petition the IC Discipline Subcommittee for nomination to the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team after the event concludes and prior to the IC Discipline Subcommittee’s meeting for the petitioner’s respective event.

All petitions must be filled out using the petition form (attachment A) and must state the specific injury, illness or unusual circumstance, which prohibited the athlete from participating at or caused early withdrawal from the 2022 Toyota U.S Figure Skating Championships.

In the case of a petition based upon an injury or illness, the petition must be accompanied by a physician’s statement, and the nature and extent of that injury or illness is subject to verification by a doctor approved by U.S Figure Skating.

Athletes must also be able to demonstrate competitive, consistent and trending results through the events listed in 1.2.1.

A successfully petitioned 2022 U.S. Olympic Team athlete must be able to prove his/her ability to compete by performing complete competition programs with all planned program elements by a specified date, as approved and reviewed by a monitoring panel to be determined by the appropriate IC Discipline Subcommittee. In addition, medical personnel approved by U.S. Figure Skating must verify that the athlete(s) will be physically ready to compete at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.
Who was the last to petition onto a world/Oly team? B/A in 2009?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
People are discussing Bradie Tennell's uncertain status in the U.S. Women's thread so I decided to except a relevant section from page 12 of the selection procedures linked in post #1:

D. Petition Process

Who doesn’t love a petition !?!? ⛸💕

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So reading that, Bradie is in a tough spot. The way it's written it seems to be for athletes who had a decent fall season and had a recent injury. The injury or illness has to prevent them from participating or cause an early withdrawal. If the injury or illness simply puts them behind where they would be normally, so that they are not as competitive at Nationals, it's questionable whether or not they would be eligible to petition.

VGThuy

So reading that, Bradie is in a tough spot. The way it's written it seems to be for athletes who had a decent fall season and had a recent injury. The injury or illness has to prevent them from participating or cause an early withdrawal. If the injury or illness simply puts them behind where they would be normally, so that they are not as competitive at Nationals, it's questionable whether or not they would be eligible to petition.
Isn’t that what Johnny Weir complained about with the 2009 Worlds selection? He was the reigning world bronze medalist, won two GP silvers, and placed fourth at the GPF, but he had a bad nationals in 2009 placing fifth behind Abbott, Mroz, eventual world champion Lysacek, and Bradley in that order. He petitioned to be put on the team saying he under performed due to injury but was in the road to recovery but was denied. He said he’d have more of a chance had he skipped 2009 Nationals and just petitioned outright citing injury.

Maybe they would have granted it had Weir placed 4th instead of 5th and it was Mroz who placed third instead of Lysacek.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Goodness, gracious, folks... I love Bradie. She has absolutely been the best-performing US woman over the last quad but that's not saying much. Some top 10 finishes at Worlds and a GPF. She's no Johnny Weir 2009, Michelle Kwan 2006, Nancy Kerrigan 1994, or Todd Eldredge 1992 where she has some real international hardware. Her chances of petitioning onto the Olympic team are non-existent unless at least three of Alysa, Karen, Mariah and Amber all come up injured between now and Nationals.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Do people think Bradie won't be top 3 at Nationals? If she's recovered, I can't see her being lower than 3rd and, if she is, then I don't think she should be sent.

Tahuu

With the improvements of Japanese pairs and dance, they may very well beat the US for the Olympic team silver medal.

JPN: 64
Men: 10+10
Women: 9+9
Pairs: 8+8
Dance: 4+6

USA: 62 (in less than best cases)
Men: 9+9
Women: 6+8
Pairs: 7+7
Dance: 8+8

Due to the men and dance having the priority to split their two segments, the women and pairs likely have to do both their short and long programs in the team competition.

Liu may not be able to regain her stable 3A and quad in time, and she is becoming the woman’s Vincent with qs and carrots all over her jumping elements. If Liu bombs in the short program as she did at NHK, she may fall behind GEO.

If a Tennell wins Nationals in a better shape than Liu, could USFS select her, a Group 3er, for the team event instead? But Liu’s Group 2 status may force them to let Liu choose first to do the team event. Having one score equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds would put one in Group 2 may have tied USFS’ hands. In essence they let a generous and irresponsible tech panel to dictate their Olympic selection. That’s stupid. To me at least that high score should be earned at a GP or championship event to be counted for such purpose. Additionally I think using the top 3, 5, and 10 at 2021 Worlds as a reference is not ideal. Maybe current season’s top 3, 5, 10 senior scores after the GPF would be a better measurement for competitiveness at the following Olympics.

Last edited:

Karen-W

With the improvements of Japanese pairs and dance, they may very well beat the US for the Olympic team silver medal.

JPN: 64
Men: 10+10
Women: 9+9
Pairs: 8+8
Dance: 4+6

USA: 62 (in less than best cases)
Men: 9+9
Women: 6+8
Pairs: 7+7
Dance: 8+8

Due to the men and dance having the priority to split their two segments, the women and pairs likely have to do both their short and long programs in the team competition.

Liu may not be able to regain her stable 3A and quad in time, and she is becoming the woman’s Vincent with qs and carrots all over her jumping elements. If Liu bombs in the short program as she did at NHK, she may fall behind GEO.

If a Tennell wins Nationals in a better shape than Liu, could USFS select her, a Group 3er, for the team event instead? But Liu’s Group 2 status may force them to let Liu choose first for doing the team event. Having one score equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds would put one in Group 2 may have tied USFS’ hands. In essence they let a generous and irresponsible tech panel to dictate their Olympic selection. That’s stupid. For me at least that high score should be earned at a GP or championship event to be counted for such purpose. Additionally I think using the top 3, 5, and 10 at 2021 Worlds as a reference is not ideal. Maybe current season’s top 3, 5, 10 senior scores after the GPF would be a better measurement for competitiveness at the following Olympics.
LOLOLOLOLOL! You do realize that Nathan's best SP score is still 4 points higher than the best Japanese man, right? And Zhou's best FS score is still 10+ points higher than the best Japanese man, right? And Miura/Kihara have yet to best K/F in a FS score this season. And that Alysa's worst SP score is still the 4th highest of the countries that will be competing in the TE (assuming that Gubanova isn't hurt and gets Georgia's spot, otherwise, she'll handily outscore Urushadze and finish no lower than 3rd in the SP) - and it's not even close between her worst SP score and the best of the rest of the women. And that the top two US dance teams are NOT going to finish 3rd in both segments. You're so cute, you think that there is an actual race for silver.

The USFS can use whomever they want in each segment of the TE, per the selection criteria document. They don't have to use Liu if they don't want to. But, really, you think at this point that Tennell is going to show up at Nationals and beat Liu?

The USFS is hardly alone in using the previous season's Worlds results as a benchmark/starting point and it would be highly unfair to the skaters & teams to creating an ever-shifting target score that could change up until mid-December, at which point there are no further international events for them to be assigned to where they can potentially hit some mythical score.

Tahuu

LOLOLOLOLOL! You do realize that Nathan's best SP score is still 4 points higher than the best Japanese man, right? And Zhou's best FS score is still 10+ points higher than the best Japanese man, right? And Miura/Kihara have yet to best K/F in a FS score this season. And that Alysa's worst SP score is still the 4th highest of the countries that will be competing in the TE (assuming that Gubanova isn't hurt and gets Georgia's spot, otherwise, she'll handily outscore Urushadze and finish no lower than 3rd in the SP) - and it's not even close between her worst SP score and the best of the rest of the women. And that the top two US dance teams are NOT going to finish 3rd in both segments. You're so cute, you think that there is an actual race for silver.

The USFS can use whomever they want in each segment of the TE, per the selection criteria document. They don't have to use Liu if they don't want to. But, really, you think at this point that Tennell is going to show up at Nationals and beat Liu?

The USFS is hardly alone in using the previous season's Worlds results as a benchmark/starting point and it would be highly unfair to the skaters & teams to creating an ever-shifting target score that could change up until mid-December, at which point there are no further international events for them to be assigned to where they can potentially hit some mythical score.
Did you watch how NHK turned out? Tell you Shoma beat Vincent handily in both the short and long. Yuzuru still holds the still holds the SP record. Liu’s 67+ SP program would not hold water to Gubanva.

Do you believe a 217+ from 2021 worlds would be competitive for an Olympic bronze? Lol

Karen-W

Did you watch how NHK turned out? Tell you Shoma beat Vincent handily in both the short and long. Yuzuru still holds the still holds the SP record. Liu’s 67+ SP program would not hold water to Gubanva.

Do you believe a 217+ from 2021 worlds would be competitive for an Olympic bronze? Lol
Yup, I most certainly did. Shoma had a good event. Vincent not so much. Kind of to be expected since Vincent was feeling a different type of pressure coming off his surprise win at SkAm. And Shoma has yet to come close to Nathan's SB in the SP. Don't know why you're bringing Yuzu into this since he's injured and is questionable (per Orser) for even JNats. Even if the JSF does put him on the Olympic team (which I probably would), I can't see him being used in the TE when the Men's event starts right after the TE.

Gubanova has been withdrawn from her most recent CS events and no one really knows what's up there. At this point, the Georgian Olympic spot is Urushadze's. Liu's SP score at NHK was a good 6 points lower than her SCI SP score, which was right in line with her Nebelhorn and Lombardia SP scores. Think what you want but I consider NHK to be the outlier and she's more likely to score in the 73-74 range in the SP than not in Beijing.

As far as what scores from Worlds 2021 are or are not competitive for an Olympic bronze - that really depends on the discipline. You have to have some sort of baseline and it is inherently unfair to ALL of the skaters to wait until there are no more opportunities to compete to set that scoring standard. It cause unnecessary uncertainty and adds a potential layer of favoritism to any of the discussions. The skaters know what it takes to be competitive for an Olympic medal.

Tahuu

I don’t think a healthy Tennell is worse than a normal Liu, whose scores are sinking in the GPS like a rock into water. People keep saying the USFS can do whatever they want despite they have the Olympic selection criteria published. How can they not offer Liu to participate in the team event even if she were to be beaten by Tennell? If the benchmark was not 2021 worlds but current season’s top scores for getting in a priority group, USFS would not have to put Liu in Group 2.

In any case Japan is a threat to US’s medal chance. USFS may have tied their own hands with that published selection criteria.

Last edited:

Karen-W

I don’t think a healthy Tennell is worse than a normal Liu, whose scores are sinking in the GPS like a rock into water. People keep saying the USFS can do whatever they want despite they have the Olympic selection criteria published. How can they not offer Liu to participate in the team event even if she were to be beaten by Tennell? If the benchmark was not 2021 worlds but current season’s top scores for getting the priority group, USFS would not have to put Liu in Group 2.
So, basically, this is a crusade against Liu? Because, as I pointed out in the NHK pbp discussion, exactly who else is the #1 US lady?

Tennell - injured and pulled out of all of her fall events so far
Chen - inconsistent as hell and hasn't managed to score higher than Liu yet (even discounting Lombardia)
Glenn - see Chen
Bell - we'll see what she looks like next week but at the Henderson qualifier a few weeks ago where she debuted her new SP she landed a 3-2... because THAT'S going to be competitive internationally...
Thorngren - yet to debut as a senior
Andrews & Shin - lesser-rate versions of Chen & Glenn

Liu's PCS bear out that the international judges actually like her. There are some issues with her rotations and it's not been pretty with tougher callers but the same is true of Chen and even Tennell was getting rotation calls a couple seasons ago. Glenn is about the only US lady who isn't consistently hit with UR calls.

I don't think the USFS has made up its mind yet regarding the TE for any of the disciplines. Some of it's going to depend on how the Men and Dance events at the GPF go, I think; and then some of it is going to depend on how Nats goes. If it's a close contest between Liu and another woman (Tennell, Chen or Bell) then I'd bet on them going with Liu simply because of the points she'll get with a clean 3A. If one of those other women decisively beats Liu then the TE will be offered to the other skater.

VGThuy

Long way to say someone wants Tennell on the team. There’s nothing in the criteria to prevent Tennell from making the team, especially with the way the ladies are scoring right now.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I thought she was perfectly fine at Finlandia. Then she got a bad tech caller and was nailed. She's a lovely skater, for sure, but as a competitive world class figure skater her UR/q jumps will always hold her back. At this point, I just hope USFS goes by Nationals results. Amber is mediocre, Karen is mediocre, Mariah remains to be seen but I don't see her much beyond mediocre either. It's like worrying which Canadian lady should get the Olympic spot, when it doesn't really matter anyway who goes, competitively speaking.

angi

I thought she was perfectly fine at Finlandia. Then she got a bad tech caller and was nailed. She's a lovely skater, for sure, but as a competitive world class figure skater her UR/q jumps will always hold her back. At this point, I just hope USFS goes by Nationals results. Amber is mediocre, Karen is mediocre, Mariah remains to be seen but I don't see her much beyond mediocre either. It's like worrying which Canadian lady should get the Olympic spot, when it doesn't really matter anyway who goes, competitively speaking.
She didn't get a bad tech caller, just a competent one doing his job. Also perfectly fine at Finlandia meant two UR and two 'q' and only 3/7 clean jumping passes in the FS. At Skate Canada she was just way tighter so her 'q' at Finlandia turned into UR and her UR turned into downgraded jumps that she fell on.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
She didn't get a bad tech caller, just a competent one doing his job. Also perfectly fine at Finlandia meant two UR and two 'q' and only 3/7 clean jumping passes in the FS. At Skate Canada she was just way tighter so her 'q' at Finlandia turned into UR and her UR turned into downgraded jumps that she fell on.
I agree. When I said "bad" I meant "bad for Karen". It's such a shame she has not changed her jump technique even one bit in the last four years. She's been UR her entire senior career.

wickedwitch

BTW, I don't expect her to hit, but Izzo should be in the conversation after that SP she skated during the championship series.

Andrews & Shin - lesser-rate versions of Chen & Glenn
Come on. You're better than this crap. Andrews and Shin have their flaws but they aren't lesser versions of anyone -- they're themselves, with unique strengths (and weaknesses).

Karen-W

Come on. You're better than this crap. Andrews and Shin have their flaws but they aren't lesser versions of anyone -- they're themselves, with unique strengths (and weaknesses).
Oh, come on. I wasn't implying that they are lesser human beings and you know it. Their scores, though, are lesser than Chen and Glenn. They aren't even able to qualify into Group 4 status because they have not delivered in competition this fall the results necessary to be considered for the Olympic team. Lesser versions = Lower scores.

I was waiting until after the Ice Challenge senior dance results to update the unofficial Group standings, but since that's now complete, here it is. Since Phil Hersh is tweeting that the USFS is going to include results from Cranberry, LPIDI, John Nicks and US Classic (I question the first three since they aren't on the US Int'l Assignments page) and it's been a point of discussion concerning both the Men and Pairs groupings, I've added them as data points. I've left off the ineligible seniors (Carreira/Ponomarenko, Levito), skaters/teams that haven't qualified for Nationals, and age-eligible junior skaters/teams who are known to be competing at the junior level at Nationals

Group 1
Highest Priority
Group 2Group 3Group 4
Lowest Priority
CRITERIA
FOR 2022 US
CHAMPIONSHIPS
Placed in the top 3
AND
Placed in the top 5
AND
Placed in the top 3
OR
Placed in the top 5
OR
CRITERIA
FOR 2021
INTERNATIONAL
SCORES *
Consistently scored equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
M – 289.18
W – 217.20
P – 217.63
D – 214.35
Consistently scored equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
M – 272.04
W – 208.44
P – 201.18
D – 208.77

AND/OR
scored once equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds
M – 245.99
W – 193.44
P – 184.41
D – 188.45

AND/OR
scored once equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 15 at 2021 Worlds
M – 225.55
W – 178.10
P – 157.29
D – 178.18

OR
Scored once equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds

Men
Group 1 – Nathan Chen (320.88 Worlds 2021; 269.37 SkAm; 307.18 SCI; GPF)
Group 2 – Vincent Zhou (70.51 Worlds 2021; 288.26 Cranberry; 284.23 CS Nebelhorn; 295.56 SkAm; 260.69 NHK; CS Warsaw; GPF)
Group 3 – Jason Brown (262.17 Worlds 2021; 262.52 CS Finlandia; 259.55 SCI; IdF)
Group 4 –
– Jimmy Ma (230.59 Cranberry; 233.58 US Classic; 228.12 SkAm; CS Warsaw)
– Ilia Malinin (214.64 JGP Courchevel 1; 245.35 JGP Austria; 222.55 CS Austria; JGPF)

Others with International Assignments
Max Naumov (223.15 Cranberry; 207.39 US Classic; Rostelecom)
Tomoki Hiwatashi (205.17 Cranberry; 213.11 CS Lombardia; 221.77 SCI; 217.08 NHK)
Eric Sjoberg (221.12 US Classic; CS Warsaw)
Yaroslav Paniot (210.84 Cranberry, CS Lombardia; SkAm)
Camden Pulkinen (179.50 Cranberry; 208.99 US Classic; 204.24 CS Finlandia; 193.18 NHK; IdF)
Dinh Tran (176.72 US Classic)

Women
Group 2 – Alysa Liu (205.74 Cranberry; 219.24 CS Lombardia; 207.40 CS Nebelhorn; 206.53 SCI; 202.90 NHK)
Group 3 – Karen Chen (208.63 Worlds 2021; 173.00 CS ACI; 202.49 CS Finlandia; 183.41 SCI; IdF)
Group 4 –
– Amber Glenn (183.46 CS Finlandia; 201.02 SkAm; 175.83 NHK)
– Bradie Tennell* (197.81 Worlds 2021, US Classic; SkAm; GP Italia; CS Austria; CS Warsaw)
– Lindsay Thorngren* (181.45 JGP Courchevel 1; 193.77 JGP Ljubljana; CS Warsaw; JGPF)
*** on the cusp of Group 4 status -
Gabriella Izzo (182.76 US Classic; CS Warsaw)
Mariah Bell (179.42 Cranberry; IdF; Rostelecom)

Starr Andrews (155.25 CS ACI; 177.63 SkAm; 157.35 CS Austria; IdF)
Sierra Venetta (159.72 Cranberry; 177.40 US Classic)
Audrey Shin (174.73 Cranberry; 172.46 CS Lombardia; 160.78 SkAm; 169.99 CS Austria)
Paige Rydberg (170.51 Cranberry; 154.03 US Classic)
Heidi Munger (144.18 Cranberry)
Gracie Gold (138.69 Cranberry)
Maxine Bautista (138.08 US Classic)
Finley Hawk (135.20 Cranberry)
Rena Ikenishi (132.72 Cranberry)

Pairs
Group 3 –
– Ashley Cain-Gribble/Timothy LeDuc (185.31 Worlds 2021; Cranberry; 170.64 CS ACI; 193.00 CS Finlandia; 189.90 SCI; 202.79 NHK)
– Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson (195.28 Cranberry; 196.69 John Nicks; 191.89 CS Finlandia; 197.42 SkAm; CS Warsaw)
– Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier (192.10 Worlds 2021; 205.87 Cranberry; 212.55 John Nicks; 202.97 SkAm; IdF) I'm not sure how much weight the Selection Committee is going to give to Cranberry or John Nicks so I'm leaving them in Group 3 until we see how they score at IdF this week.
– Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov (158.81 Cranberry; 195.20 John Nicks; 190.03 NHK; Rostelecom)
Group 4 –
– Emily Chan/Spencer Howe (182.44 Cranberry; 170.08 John Nicks; CS Warsaw)
– Chelsea Liu/Danny O'Shea (165.20 Cranberry; 177.45 John Nicks; 175.40 SkAm; CS Warsaw)
– Katie McBeath/Nathan Bartholomay (157.74 Cranberry; 161.69 John Nicks; 168.61 CS ACI)
– Anastasiia Smirnova/Danylo Siianytsia (145.09 Cranberry; 153.63 at JGP Poland; 156.40 JGP Austria)

Kate Finster/Matej Silecky (130.47 John Nicks)

Dance
Group 2 –
– Madison Chock/Evan Bates (212.69 Worlds 2021; 208.31 CS Finlandia; 208.23 SkAm; 210.78 NHK; GPF)
– Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue (214.71 Worlds 2021; 207.30 US Classic; 209.54 SkAm; 207.90 GP Italia; GPF)
Group 4 –
– Caroline Green/Michael Parsons (174.98 LPIDI; 188.43 CS ACI; 186.51 SCI; 178.26 GP Italia; CS Warsaw)
– Kaitlyn Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker (188.51 Worlds 2021; US Classic; NHK; Rostelecom)*

Eva Pate/Logan Bye (159.87 LPIDI; 171.70 US Classic; CS Warsaw)
Emily Bratti/Ian Somerville (166.83 CS Austria)
Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov (166.12 LPIDI; 151.76 CS Lombardia; 156.97 SkAm)
Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen (165.01 JGP Courchevel 1; 163.25 JGP Ljubljana; 164.33 CS Austria)
Lorraine McNamara/Anton Spiridonov (155.12 LPIDI; 161.82 US Classic; 159.03 CS Austria)
Klara Kowar/TJ Carey (110.42 LPIDI)
Riona Harris/Tyler Vollmer (68.28 LPIDI)

* = yet to make 2021-22 senior debut
italics = junior score
red = upcoming int'l assignment
purple = withdrawn int'l assignment

ETA - Per this post in the US Men's thread, Vincent will not be competing at CS Warsaw next week. I added in the US Int'l assignments various skaters/teams have been given from which they've withdrawn due to health issues.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Group 1
Highest Priority
Group 2Group 3Group 4
Lowest Priority
CRITERIA
FOR 2022 US
CHAMPIONSHIPS
Placed in the top 3
AND
Placed in the top 5
AND
Placed in the top 3
OR
Placed in the top 5
OR
CRITERIA
FOR 2021
INTERNATIONAL
SCORES *
Consistently scored equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
M – 289.18
W – 217.20
P – 217.63
D – 214.35
Consistently scored equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
M – 272.04
W – 208.44
P – 201.18
D – 208.77

AND/OR
scored once equal to Top 3 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds
M – 245.99
W – 193.44
P – 184.41
D – 188.45

AND/OR
scored once equal to Top 5 at 2021 Worlds
Consistently scored equal to Top 15 at 2021 Worlds
M – 225.55
W – 178.10
P – 157.29
D – 178.18

OR
Scored once equal to Top 10 at 2021 Worlds
Updating this again now that IdF, Warsaw Cup and the Nationals Qualifying Series are complete!

Men
Group 1 - Nathan Chen (320.88 Worlds 2021; 269.37 SkAm; 307.18 SCI; GPF)
Group 2 – Vincent Zhou (70.51 Worlds 2021; 288.26 Cranberry; 284.23 CS Nebelhorn; 295.56 SkAm; 260.69 NHK; CS Warsaw; GPF)
Group 3 - Jason Brown (262.17 Worlds 2021; 262.52 CS Finlandia; 259.55 SCI; 264.20 IdF; CS Golden Spin)
Group 4 -
- Jimmy Ma (230.59 Cranberry; 233.58 US Classic; 228.12 SkAm; 195.09 CS Warsaw; CS Golden Spin)
- Ilia Malinin (214.64 JGP Courchevel 1; 245.35 JGP Austria; 222.55 CS Austria; JGPF)

Max Naumov (223.15 Cranberry; 207.39 US Classic; CS Finlandia; Rostelecom; CS Golden Spin)
Eric Sjoberg (221.12 US Classic; 189.38 CS Warsaw; CS Golden Spin)
Yaroslav Paniot (210.84 Cranberry; CS Lombardia; SkAm)
Tomoki Hiwatashi (205.17 Cranberry; 213.11 CS Lombardia; 221.77 SCI; 217.08 NHK)
Camden Pulkinen (179.50 Cranberry; 208.99 US Classic; 204.24 CS Finlandia; 193.18 NHK; Rostelecom)
Dinh Tran (176.72 US Classic)

Women
Group 2 - Alysa Liu (205.74 Cranberry; 219.24 CS Lombardia; 207.40 CS Nebelhorn; 206.53 SCI; 202.90 NHK)
Group 3 - Karen Chen (208.63 Worlds 2021; 173.00 CS ACI; 202.49 CS Finlandia; 183.41 SCI; 194.00 IdF)
Group 4 -
- Mariah Bell (179.42 Cranberry; 190.79 IdF; Rostelecom; CS Golden Spin)
- Amber Glenn (Cranberry; 183.46 CS Finlandia; 201.02 SkAm; 175.83 NHK)
- Bradie Tennell* (197.81 Worlds 2021; US Classic; SkAm; GP Italia; CS Austria; CS Warsaw; CS Golden Spin)
- Lindsay Thorngren (181.45 JGP Courchevel 1; 193.77 JGP Ljubljana; 184.40 CS Warsaw; JGPF)

Gabriella Izzo (Cranberry; 182.76 US Classic; 155.78 CS Warsaw)
Starr Andrews (155.25 CS ACI; 177.63 SkAm; 157.35 CS Austria; IdF)
Audrey Shin (174.73 Cranberry; 172.46 CS Lombardia; 160.78 SkAm; 169.99 CS Austria)
Sierra Venetta (159.72 Cranberry; 177.40 US Classic)
Hanna Harrell* (CS Golden Spin)

Pairs
Group 2 - Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier (192.10 Worlds 2021; 205.87 Cranberry; 212.55 John Nicks; 202.97 SkAm; 201.69 IdF; CS Golden Spin)
Group 3 -
- Ashley Cain-Gribble/Timothy LeDuc (185.31 Worlds 2021; Cranberry; 170.64 CS ACI; 193.00 CS Finlandia; 189.90 SCI; 202.79 NHK)
- Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson (195.28 Cranberry; 196.69 John Nicks; 191.89 CS Finlandia; 197.42 SkAm; 196.85 CS Warsaw; CS Golden Spin)
- Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov (158.81 Cranberry; 195.20 John Nicks; 190.03 NHK; Rostelecom; CS Golden Spin)
Group 4 -
- Emily Chan/Spencer Howe (182.44 Cranberry; 170.08 John Nicks; 163.39 CS Warsaw)
- Chelsea Liu/Danny O'Shea (165.20 Cranberry; 177.45 John Nicks; 175.40 SkAm; CS Warsaw)
- Katie McBeath/Nathan Bartholomay (157.74 Cranberry; 161.69 John Nicks; 168.61 CS ACI)
- Anastasiia Smirnova/Danylo Siianytsia (145.09 Cranberry; 153.63 JGP Poland; 156.40 JGP Austria)

Dance
Group 2 -
- Madison Chock/Evan Bates (212.69 Worlds 2021; 208.31 CS Finlandia; 208.23 SkAm; 210.78 NHK; GPF)
- Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue (214.71 Worlds 2021; 207.30 US Classic; 209.54 SkAm; 207.90 GP Italia; GPF)
Group 4 -
- Caroline Green/Michael Parsons (174.98 LPIDI; 188.43 CS ACI; 186.51 SCI; 178.26 GP Italia; 187.84 CS Warsaw)
- Kaitlyn Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker* (188.51 Worlds 2021; US Classic; NHK; Rostelecom; CS Golden Spin)

Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko (172.78 CS Lombardia; 178.27 CS Finlandia; 168.76 SCI; 175.91 IdF)
Eva Pate/Logan Bye (159.87 LPIDI; 171.70 US Classic; 171.00 CS Warsaw)
Emily Bratti/Ian Somerville (166.83 CS Austria; CS Golden Spin)
Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov (166.12 LPIDI; 151.76 CS Lombardia; 156.97 SkAm; CS Golden Spin)
Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen (165.01 JGP Courchevel 1; 163.25 JGP Ljubljana; 164.33 CS Austria)
Lorraine McNamara/Anton Spiridonov (155.12 LPIDI; 161.82 US Classic; 159.03 CS Austria)

* = yet to make 2021-22 senior debut
Italics = Jr International Scores
Green = Upcoming International Assignment
Purple = Withdrawn International Assignment
Red = Does not have US passport
Excluded skaters who 1) Lack the TES minimums or 2) Did not qualify for Nationals

Last edited:

RoseRed

Pairs
Group 2 - Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier (192.10 Worlds 2021; 205.87 Cranberry; 212.55 John Nicks; 202.97 SkAm; 201.69 IdF; CS Golden Spin)
Group 3 -
- Ashley Cain-Gribble/Timothy LeDuc (185.31 Worlds 2021; Cranberry; 170.64 CS ACI; 193.00 CS Finlandia; 189.90 SCI; 202.79 NHK)
- Jessica Calalang/Brian Johnson (195.28 Cranberry; 196.69 John Nicks; 191.89 CS Finlandia; 197.42 SkAm; 196.85 CS Warsaw; CS Golden Spin)
- Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov (158.81 Cranberry; 195.20 John Nicks; 190.03 NHK; Rostelecom; CS Golden Spin)
Group 4 -
- Emily Chan/Spencer Howe (182.44 Cranberry; 170.08 John Nicks; 163.39 CS Warsaw)
- Chelsea Liu/Danny O'Shea (165.20 Cranberry; 177.45 John Nicks; 175.40 SkAm; CS Warsaw)
- Katie McBeath/Nathan Bartholomay (157.74 Cranberry; 161.69 John Nicks; 168.61 CS ACI)
- Anastasiia Smirnova/Danylo Siianytsia (145.09 Cranberry; 153.63 JGP Poland; 156.40 JGP Austria)

How are S/S in group 4? Group 4 requires either 1 top ten score (184.41) or consistently meeting the top 15 mark (157.29). They don't have a single score that even meets top 15. Their median score is 153.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
How are S/S in group 4? Group 4 requires either 1 top ten score (184.41) or consistently meeting the top 15 mark (157.29). They don't have a single score that even meets top 15. Their median score is 153.
Against the junior standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information