Music You Hate in Skating

skateboy

But if they did?

In the 1990s I made up a hypothetical backwardly choreographed SP to Bolero for a man who didn't have triple axel. It began with a back-to-front combination spin (quite rare at the time) and ended with a 3Lz+3T.

In theory a woman could do that program now.
Shades of Zagitova at the 2018 Olympics...

skateboy

When I was a kid, seemed like everyone was skating to The Lion in Winter theme at all the comps I took part in, and I learned to hate it.

But now that it's been obsolete for so long, I might actually welcome its return:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The first 2 pieces that come to mind for me are because I've heard them used far too often in competitions, from club comps to the highest levels...

"Never Enough" performed by Loren Allred from The Greatest Showman film soundtrack.

Violin Fantasy on Puccini’s ‘Turandot’ performed by Vanessa-Mae.

gkelly

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
When I was a kid, seemed like everyone was skating to The Lion in Winter theme at all the comps took part in, and I learned to hate it.

But now that it's been obsolete for so long, I might actually welcome its return:

Oh, I'd love to see a program to this music. I don't remember ever seeing one.

emason

The “Fever” for me was the practice run through that Kevin van der Perren did of his exhibition number for the Atlantic City Skate America Gala. KvdP was scorching the ice and I kept thinking whoever was giving him fever was one lucky person.

sadya

Bolero Hallelujah Requiem for a dream POTO The Matrix.

Yes, The Matrix and Requim too! We hear Requim less now, let's hope nobody brings it back.

Maria Butyrskaya's "Fever" was just perfect 😍

https://youtu.be/SS1r5BKrLsA
One of the few Fever programs I do like. Now I also remember the FD of Chock/Bates who skated to it, when, 2019? I liked that FD. After watching The Queen's Gambit, the version of Peggy Lee got stuck in my head. It's even in my phone now and yet I still don't really like this song, I just like the opening of her version.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Gasp! Surely you mean those horrible covers that are in vogue, and not the glorious original?
Exactly! Again, it's the song itself, not the singer. Think of it as the Grammy for Song of the Year, not Record of the Year. https://www.vox.com/culture/22325931/grammys-song-album-record-year-difference-categories-explained

For the record, I love Jesus Christ Superstar, Fever and Wicked Game as songs, no matter what travesties of them have been covered or skated later on.

Orm Irian

I'm going to add a 4. to my list: Anything from The Lion King. With the possible exception of Shadowland, which few skaters seem to realise exists because it's only in the musical, not the film.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

So I hate Blues for Klook and Bolero. ...

Bingo! My absolute “top two” (or...bottom two) musical selections for skating. BfK absolute stinker for me, as cited above, but BORE-lero not far behind. It’s killing me to think of the 2022 Oly Gold going to THAT, even if I’ll support the skater & country.

briancoogaert

No, Kwan's wasn't until 2004 -- Grishuk and Platov skated to it in 1997 and had long retired by the time Kwan got around to using that music.

But Jill Trenary's 1992 professional use of the music was probably the one that started the trend.
Engi and Toth skated to it in 1991-1992. And Grishuk and Platov were at the same competitions.
I've always wondered if G&P kwen this music because of Engi and Toth.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Engi and Toth skated to it in 1991-1992. And Grishuk and Platov were at the same competitions.
I've always wondered if G&P kwen this music because of Engi and Toth.
I think it's more likely that Pasha was friends with Oksana Baiul and saw her with great success using the Arabian program on the pro circuit - whose own program was really similar in concept to her idol, Trenary.

VGThuy

I think it's more likely that Pasha was friends with Oksana Baiul and saw her with great success using the Arabian program on the pro circuit - whose own program was really similar in concept to her idol, Trenary.
Friends? You mean they were friends before she copied Baiul's style and changed her name so she wouldn't be confused with the person she called "a criminal"? :lol:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Friends? You mean they were friends before she copied Baiul's style and changed her name so she wouldn't be confused with the person she called "a criminal"? :lol:
I think they were friends at some point, but by the time 1997 came around you're right that they weren't and maybe that was the ultimate goal in going blonde and skating to Oksana's standout program music :lol:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Michael Buble

His 'music' should be banned from the sport, period!

• In this shirt
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • The Greatest Showman (specially if skated by Samarin)
  • Burlesque
  • To build a home
  • Any Coldplay choice
  • Les Miserables

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information