Unpopular Opinions

VGThuy

I thought Papadakis and Cizeron's Moonlight Sonata was one of their worst programs.
ITA. And I still think their music choice for that RD was borderline not even trying. Of course, they correctly sensed the future of where the ISU was taking ice dancing where actual authentic rhythms don't matter anymore for the RHYTHM dance. So long as the BPM match....

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Apparently, not that unpopular of an opinion but, yup, I miss ice dance where they're in closed holds; and I dearly want the ISU to get rid of the required tempo change in the free dance - it's ruined too many potentially great programs. Also, go back to the short dance being one prescribed tempo, not some awful collected mishmash of options for the teams. And, make the key points worth a lot more so that if teams don't hit them, they feel it the same way missing a jump in the SP can tank all but the very best of skaters.

Spins need to be worth more.

Also, I like middle/low brow programs that don't try to be high art.

And, frankly, I wouldn't mind another good skating scandal that captures North American media interest and attention.

VGThuy

As I was saying, this is actually the popular opinions thread :D
I think you’re confusing original dance with me wanting an original step pattern (no lifts, no twizzles unless it’s part of your pattern, all footwork going around the rink -repeated two or three times). Nobody on this forum even knows what an OSP is much less wants what it back outside of hardcore ice dance fans who still talk about Klimova/Ponomarenko vs. Bestemianova/Bukin 1986. ;):p

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Quite some of the opinions in this thread are not unpopular at all but this seems to be the fate of every "unpopular opinions" thread. :p

I thought Papadakis and Cizeron's Moonlight Sonata was one of their worst programs.

I think so too. I consider this & their Yamagata FD in 2018-19 their two weakest senior FDs. I find it funny that people on figure skating Twitter (who don't like P/C's programs often) seem to like the latter a lot and consider it their best work, ha.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think you’re confusing original dance with me wanting an original step pattern (no lifts, no twizzles unless it’s part of your pattern, all footwork going around the rink -repeated two or three times). Nobody on this forum even knows what an OSP is much less wants what it back outside of hardcore ice dance fans who still talk about Klimova/Ponomarenko vs. Bestemianova/Bukin 1986. ;):p
No, I'm not - and come on, nobody on FSU knows what OSPs are? This isn't skating Twitter.

Every time I post that CDs should be brought back :mitchell: (obligatory emoji) I get a bunch of likes, so this does not seem to be an unpopular opinion.

VGThuy

No, I'm not - and come on, nobody on FSU knows what OSPs are? This isn't skating Twitter.

Every time I post that CDs should be brought back :mitchell: (obligatory emoji) I get a bunch of likes, so this does not seem to be an unpopular opinion.
My unpopular opinion wasn’t about the CD, and I stand by my opinion that wanting an OSP back isn’t popular at all.

angi

• I think character step sequence is the worst skating element that was introduced in this quad because aside from H/D last season it seems like every other team think that character step sequence = PARTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
  • I think CDs should be brought back for all dance levels, otherwise, the deterioration of skating quality will continue and lack of ability to skate in closed holds will never recover.
  • (This will make fanyus go crazy but) Judging by their performances and material in this quad I think the PCS gap between Nathan Chen and Hunyu is rightfully closing and there's no need to alert the Interpol

• I want ice dance to go back to having to be more in hold
#WhenWillClosedHoldsComeBackFromWar

hanca

Values her privacy
Such photos would prove nothing.

Case in point
Of course not, that was my point on quite a few occasions when she sent such photos. But she would still post them. For example, when someone wrote about Medvedeva being unhealthy thin and possibly having some eating issues, Tinami posted a photo of Medvedeva eating ice cream. When I mentioned that Tutberidze’s group is getting overcrowded and that someone will start moving out, she send a few photos of how they are smiling during their practice, which she argued was supposed to be proof how everyone was happy and everyone got on so well with each other. (Not even a year later Medvedeva left the group). A happy photo of Kostornaya-Scherbakova-Trusova was another ‘proof’ that they are all happy and getting on so well, and then Kostornaya moved out and it got leaked that she didn’t wish to train with Trusova. I know that the photos don’t prove anything, and yet any time I write something that I know she would disagree with, I am waiting for more photos to appear. I miss her!

Sayana_mnk

As I was saying, this is actually the popular opinions thread
Yes, this thread, with its many opinions that are actually not unpopular here and elsewhere, illustrates so well why I am mostly just a lurker here. I have too many truly unpopular figure skating opinions that would get me :lynch: if I voiced them.

But here is a lesser example:

Astakhova/Rogonov were better than Zabiiako/Enbert.
Look at any PBP thread here where either of these two pairs competed. It is clear enough that Astakhova/Rogonov were, if not as widely appreciated as their fans may have hoped, generally well respected skaters. It seemed Zabiiako and Enbert, on the other hand, could never skate without someone saying they were "boring". I liked Astakhova/Rogonov well enough, but Zabiiako/Enbert were my favorite Russian pair in the period in which they skated. :p

quartz

scratching at the light
I like Bourne and Kraatz.

I can’t stand ballerina buns. Too uptight and rigid. Manbuns, ponytails and long hair on men are great.

Russian teen ladies may be exciting technically, but the programs are boring and I can barely remember them two minutes later, so I skip most of them and just read the pbp to see who’s first this time. They are pretty much interchangeable for me.*

Grease, Abba, Lala Land, Shirt programs are fridge breaks.

I would certainly eat a cheeseburger while watching skating.

*Tuk being the exception, of course - I never miss watching her!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information