Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
It seems to me that one poster is keeping this issue alive, by posting here and by her own accounts on other sites.

I doubt that anyone would argue that Aljiona still wants to skate or that she is any more than ruthless in that quest.

But in my personal opinion the more we pay attention to her, the more she gets from us.

It's sad but not unusual to see someone who reached the top of the field to have difficulty in transition to another life outside that.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I doubt she wants the kind of attention she's getting from this thread, not that I think she reads skater gossip social media. She's too experienced for that. A lot of people are just making stuff up regarding what she knew/knows or thought for the sole purpose of gossip.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I just found this post of Tinami and her opinion on Aljona...it's crazy how accurate she was back in November 2019: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/imamovs-interview-with-savchenko.106290/page-3#post-5679097

That was also posted in the thread of the infamous interview where Aljona said Sui/Han were copying her and Bruno.
That post reminds me of when she said she'd rather skate for Germany but she'll wait and see which country would fund her and Massot before picking lol. I still find it funny that you say the German fans defend her so much when she totally would have switched for more cash.

clairecloutier

That post reminds me of when she said she'd rather skate for Germany but she'll wait and see which country would fund her and Massot before picking lol. I still find it funny that you say the German fans defend her so much when she totally would have switched for more cash.

So? She wouldn't be either the first or last skater to switch federations partly for financial reasons. :saint:

screech

So? She wouldn't be either the first or last skater to switch federations partly for financial reasons. :saint:
Even in Canada, skaters switch to represent Quebec rather than their own provinces, because Quebec has better funding. Even D/R who actually did a program which they dedicated to their Northern Ontario hometowns, represented Quebec due to funding.

skylark

I just found this post of Tinami and her opinion on Aljona...it's crazy how accurate she was back in November 2019: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/imamovs-interview-with-savchenko.106290/page-3#post-5679097

That was also posted in the thread of the infamous interview where Aljona said Sui/Han were copying her and Bruno.
I read the posts yesterday. Thanks for giving the link; that was a terrific interview. If anyone struggles to give their all in any field of endeavour, or even to step out of their comfort zone for a limited time in order to finish something they've dreamed about completing or accomplishing, Aljona gave many pearls of wisdom on how to accomplish their dreams.

Fans here and everywhere are always saying how much we admire skaters who focus, never give up, don't let failure or adversity stop them, never give up, never give up. Then a skater is generous enough to tell how she accomplished it ... speaking her truth and leaving herself vulnerable to being misinterpreted or simply misunderstood in what she meant. Which can happen even without the complication of translating 3 languages. And then that becomes the reason that interview is remembered? Sheesh. No wonder successful people are oftentimes guarded.

It's sad that such a valuable interview can be called "infamous." And it's sad that we forget that Aljona is human; she has faults, slips of the tongue, blindspots, failings, and times when she says something the wrong way -- just like all the rest of us. Comes of being thought of as superhuman because she accomplished something so difficult, I suppose, but that doesn't make it fair.

I'm not speaking ill of the dead when I say that Tinami focused her thoughts and opinions in one direction to the point that her angle of vision could become warped. She was a bit like Aljona in her never-varying focus. Sometimes the bad is all she could see.

ETA: Tashka's translation of the interview with Aljona (Nov. 2019) is at the top of p. 1 of the thread linked above. For the record, Aljona states some opinions I don't agree with. But she wasn't afraid to state them. Or maybe in that moment, she overcame her fear of being misunderstood.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I read the posts yesterday. Thanks for giving the link; that was a terrific interview. If anyone struggles to give their all in any field of endeavour, or even to step out of their comfort zone for a limited time in order to finish something they've dreamed about completing or accomplishing, Aljona gave many pearls of wisdom on how to accomplish their dreams.

Fans here and everywhere are always saying how much we admire skaters who focus, never give up, don't let failure or adversity stop them, never give up, never give up. Then a skater is generous enough to tell how she accomplished it ... speaking her truth and leaving herself vulnerable to being misinterpreted or simply misunderstood in what she meant. Which can happen even without the complication of translating 3 languages. And then that becomes the reason that interview is remembered? Sheesh. No wonder successful people are oftentimes guarded.

It's sad that such a valuable interview can be called "infamous." And it's sad that we forget that Aljona is human; she has faults, slips of the tongue, blindspots, failings, and times when she says something the wrong way -- just like all the rest of us. Comes of being thought of as superhuman because she accomplished something so difficult, I suppose, but that doesn't make it fair.

I'm not speaking ill of the dead when I say that Tinami focused her thoughts and opinions in one direction to the point that her angle of vision could become warped. She was a bit like Aljona in her never-varying focus. Sometimes the bad is all she could see.

ETA: Tashka's translation of the interview with Aljona (Nov. 2019) is at the top of p. 1 of the thread linked above. For the record, Aljona states some opinions I don't agree with. But she wasn't afraid to state them. Or maybe in that moment, she overcame her fear of being misunderstood.
One thing is speaking your mind, another is ruthlessly teaming up with predators only to offer several lies on the topic later.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
OKay, this part of the article made no sense to me:

What would your sporting ambitions have been like?

Savchenko: “We wanted to try to compete in the 2022 World Cup if everything went well. Of course, I would like to continue to compete for Germany with Bruno. The US association even quickly made a request to clarify everything quickly. But for me personally it was first an attempt, an option ... And only then could I decide when and for whom I would start. "

So she got USFS to ask for her to be released from the German fed but wasn't sure she'd skate for the US? Um, it doesn't work like that, does it? Does it?

skylark

One thing is speaking your mind, another is ruthlessly teaming up with predators only to offer several lies on the topic later.
Oh, to clarify ... I was only talking about the November 2019 article and the discussion thread about it. Not more recent events.

Vagabond

Savchenko: “We wanted to try to compete in the 2022 World Cup if everything went well. Of course, I would like to continue to compete for Germany with Bruno. The US association even quickly made a request to clarify everything quickly. But for me personally it was first an attempt, an option ... And only then could I decide when and for whom I would start. "

So she got USFS to ask for her to be released from the German fed but wasn't sure she'd skate for the US? Um, it doesn't work like that, does it? Does it?
It doesn't work like that. She should know that, and maybe she does.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

Vagabond

Idk what's more shocking - how accurate the assessment of Aljona is, or that the assessment came from Tinami.
IINM, she left out the word "not" three times in the penultimate paragraph. That part isn't shocking at all to me.

Geriatricfan

Twenty years ago I had to retire because I was deemed to old too do the job that I loved. I can therefore empathise with Aljona in her desire to continue with the vocation that she loves. I'm sure that she has made some mistakes, but one should not be critical unless you have been in her position and felt the pain of forced retirement.
Her performances over the last twenty years have given a great deal of pleasure to a lot of people, and I hope that she can find a way to continue to do so
As far as Liam is concerned, it can't be easy competing against her love of skating and competing. I hope that they can work through this, if only for the sake of the little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information