Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

quartz

scratching at the light
Have just caught up with the Felix AA vs Frances Tiafoe match, and am so impressed with the youngsters this tournament. They are stepping up, playing hard, are gracious and well spoken in their interviews and overall, incredibly classy. Really looking forward to Alcaraz vs Felix and if Andrescu can keep from being ill or injured. And of course Fernandez - what an amazingly composed young lady she is.
The kids are all right!

alexikeguchi

I just caught Emma Raducanu's interview on ESPN, and I hope she never changes. She has such a refreshing attitude and seems to thrive under the bright lights. She is so charming and well-spoken, plus she's gorgeous. She will do amazing with sponsors if she maintains even a decent ranking.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Emma is lovely isn’t she! I’m thrilled for her, showing Wimbledon wasn’t just a fluke. I’d root for her no matter which country she played for but I am pleased she represents GB.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
So Djokovic is in the Quarters. Only three more match wins and he will likely go down in history as GOAT. Now I'm wishing I made plans to go... still not too late... eek.

alexikeguchi

So Djokovic is in the Quarters. Only three more match wins and he will likely go down in history as GOAT. Now I'm wishing I made plans to go... still not too late... eek.
I'm happy for Djokovic's march towards history and still root for him even with his less than gracious moments. I believe he is a decent person who is just really intense and driven, and that sometimes leads him to unattractive and offensive behavior that we don't see from the other recent GOAT contenders.

However, I can see the future in Jenson Brooksby, as well as Berrettini, Alcaraz, and a couple others, and I really look forward to watching their games develop further. Djokovic seemed pretty impressed with Brooksby too and is probably relieved to have faced him at age 20 rather than 22 or 23.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I like all these "youngsters". Brooksby, Alcaraz, Shapovalov, FAA, Zverev, Tsitsipas, and even Kyrgios. It's different now because I used to know most of the women players, and now unless they are black or are named Halep I wouldn't recognize them or their names.

I am not really a fan of Djokovic, in fact I'm mostly a fan because I like "winners" first of all and the anti-Djok brigade annoys me. I also want him to win 25 so he beats Margaret Court's record. No one else will do that in my lifetime. I'd like to see history being made.

alexikeguchi

I didn't see Fernandez's earlier matches but am watching her in the QF now and adding her to my list of new faves. She could be a skater with the excellent knee action that allows her to really power her shots. And even though she's not that big, it doesn't look like she is straining to cover the court.

It really seems like the disruption of the past 18 months has allowed the emergence all at once of the generation that will replace Federer, Nadal, eventually Djokovic, and Serena Williams. Another thing I'm really enjoying about post C*V*D tennis is how (short of a few abuses of medical/bathroom breaks) the players are extra supportive of each other, kind of like the Olympic athletes who had to step in as family.

caseyedwards

Lol it’s too much to ask for more Williams sisters. How about some nice davenports or capriati’s!! US needs some solid people like them

ross_hy

I'm watching Gojowczyk/Alcaraz right now, and wow for Alcaraz! He could probably improve his serve but otherwise has such a balanced game at only 18 years old. He seems to be enjoying himself and has some good resilience, so I hope he can survive the meat grinder that is pro tennis.
I was at this match, and it was electric to see in person. The crowd was nearly 100% behind Alcaraz and he definitely fed off the energy. He kept his body language positive the entire time and absolutely crushed the ball. He's going to be (if not already is) a big threat going forward.

eusebius

OMG 2 Canadians in US Open semifinals!!! :cheer2:
I feel bad for Carlos Alcaraz though, having to retire. I have no doubt that we will see him in the late stages of majors for years to come though. He has really shown what he is made of this week.
Meanwhile ALLEZ Félix et Leylah!!!! 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

Aaron MB Fan

I have been following Leylah since her Junior days. When she made the Finals of the 2019 Junior Aussie Open and lost, she was heartbroken and used that loss to fuel more fire for the 2019 Junior French Open settling for nothing less than a win. And when she accomplished her goal to win the Junior French Open, becoming the only Canadian singles player to date, Senior or Junior, to win the French Open, I knew she was going to be something special.

So happy to see her meteoric rise in this year’s US Open. What I love even more about her than her game, is she her personality, how she holds herself and her passion. I get the sense she is very well respected and liked by other players. Even after Kerber lost, she seemed happy and appreciative of Leylah’s play vs when Kerber lost to Andreescu and was bitter and made snarky comments about Bianca’s antics. I hope Leylah can take this new quickly founded fame in strides!

While Félix’s win wasn’t as he would have hoped, I am so happy for him to be rising to the occasion. First Canadian male to ever make the semis at the USO, and first male player born in the 2000s to make a Grand Slam Semifinal. After all of his 8 lost finals while other younger players like Sinner and Alcaraz have won tournaments, happy for Félix to have this result in his pocket and maybe more to come!

🎾 🇨🇦

Desperado

missed ALL the tennis yesterday due to work, but have Leylah’s match on my PVR - only work until noon today so will be able to watch later. But I did hear her maple syrup comment! 🥞
It is worth the watch. I hope she can keep being herself through the hype.

The interview said her coach is her dad. What happened to the (quite pretty) French coach she had last year?

eusebius

eusebius

Yes, but since she didn’t mention him, it made me think he’s no longer part of her team.

Possibly not. Also her father is not at the Open because he's "superstitious" according to Forbes. I don't quite understand how her team works, but I can't really argue with the results ...

quartz

scratching at the light
Okay, am allowing myself wine even tho it’s not technically the weekend because I don’t have to work tomorrow, and going to attempt to stay up to see Emma’s match. Been up since 5:30am, worked both jobs, and we will see if I can make it! 😬

Lacey

Leylah Fernandez is simply amazing, what a great attitude she has! Her eyes are miraculous--she sees the ball coming so well that she has been able to hit most shots fabulously early. Her skills are superb, she's smart and knows where to put the ball, but that upbeat let's move forward attitude has surely helped her to win these US Open matches.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information