2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

honey

The panel are Cranberry was certainly pretty tight. Though Schizas was one of the few without several q or < on her protocol. I think just the one q in her LP. Very restrained GOEs from this panel though.

Daleman responded to someone on Twitter that she was going to ACI. Not sure if Schizas has indicated where her senior b will be.

In the past SC has sent their top three women to different senior Bs, but of course times are different now with COVID and uncertainty. And further to that, Daleman was not top 3 at the de facto nationals last year (or the 2020 nationals). So entirely possible that they end up both doing ACI.

Colonel Green

The international environment being what it is, I'd expect Skate Canada will prefer keeping people close to home when it's feasible. Less risk that way.

Assuming they think the Autumn Classic will happen, but they've been able to stage comps thus far and it's only a month out now.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I don't think that's a good idea. Gabby is on an upward trajectory with her skating, and losing a head-to-head with Maddie before Nationals might deal her confidence a huge blow.
I think it is exactly what is needed because of how she has been since the 2018 team event. She has been coddled enough.

Colonel Green

I think it is exactly what is needed because of how she has been since the 2018 team event. She has been coddled enough.
She hasn't been coddled at all. She's competed a lot domestically, and has lost a number of times to domestic rivals (she was eighth at the last nationals, for Heaven's sake).

Which isn't to say she should start steering away from that now. Ultimately she has to keep rebuilding her competitive mindset now that she seems to be physically together.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm not sure how Daleman has been coddled.

She's a former world medalist, trying to make it back to the Olympics for the third time. If she can't handle the pressure of competing against a domestic rival on the international circuit how is she going to handle the pressure of competing at the Olympics (specifically trying to get a team medal in a deep women's international field), or the pressure of trying to get top 10 at worlds to get the second spot back? Honestly bring on the pressure.

puglover

It seems to me that it has been almost impossible over the last year or more of lockdowns, etc. to make much of a comparison at all in Canada. I would think leading into an Olympic year, the more head to head, the better. The best I can see to hope for is that come decision time we are not looking at sixes but that some strong cases have been made on who to send. We now know Schizas has landed lutz/ toe in competition and held her own in a strong US field with some feeling she should have been placed higher. Emily had a good skate in B.C. I just do not want this to come down to a questionable SC choice as that seems to hurt everyone.

Colonel Green

Great job from Kaiya. Has she grown a few inches lately?
If her ISU bio is anything to go by, she was 148 cm (4'8) when her bio was put up two years ago and is 150 cm (4'9) as of the most recent update for her new 2021/22 programs.

dramagrrl

If her ISU bio is anything to go by, she was 148 cm (4'8) when her bio was put up two years ago and is 150 cm (4'9) as of the most recent update for her new 2021/22 programs.
She definitely looks more than an inch taller to me, but it could be just adjustment of proportions due to growth (or even the style of her dress) - she looks less pixie-ish and more long-legged to me.

ETA: I find it very sad (and also concerning) that Gabby continues to post such heavily Photoshopped and filtered photos on her social media.

Colonel Green

She definitely looks more than an inch taller to me, but it could be just adjustment of proportions due to growth (or even the style of her dress) - she looks less pixie-ish and more long-legged to me.
Yeah, I would agree that visually I'd have guessed she had grown more than that, but the 150 cm figure is super up-to-date (using web archive you can see how information on the page changed over time, and it was only added earlier this month).

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I certainly hope SC is planning on sending Kaiya to a Senior B to attempt to get her minimum scores.
Absolutely. After just watching her skate a nearly flawless free skate at Courchevel just now. She's definitely in the mix for the Olympic spot with that score. There are plenty of competitions on Skate Canada's assignments page she could go to.

dramagrrl

Absolutely. After just watching her skate a nearly flawless free skate at Courchevel just now. She's definitely in the mix for the Olympic spot with that score. There are plenty of competitions on Skate Canada's assignments page she could go to.
Yes, I posted just after watching her clinch a medal at JGP Courchevel, but wasn't sure about spoilers!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Shame there's not an option for first year seniors to earn an Olympic berth for their country.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Shame there's not an option for first year seniors to earn an Olympic berth for their country.
Ruiter can by winning the one spot that Canada has earned. If Canada didn’t have a spot, she would be able to try to earn it at Nebelhorn if nominated. I don’t see any good reason to give (additional) spots to new seniors when no one is stopping them from earning it outright.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I can't wait for the senior international assignments to come out. Autumn Classic should be out this week. Daleman had tweeted she was going. I hope Tobin will get something - her score included a single loop in the short for zero points.
And I wonder how Pineault is doing.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
JUNIOR WOMEN - Top Summer Scores 2021
(bolded those with JGP assignments so far)

Kaiya Ruiter 175 (scored 177 at JGP FRA1)
Audreanne Foster 144

Lulu Lin 141 (too young for JGP)
Rose Theroux 140
Catherine Carle 138
Natasha Hewitt 138
Lia Pereira 136
Justine Miclette 136

Sara Maude Dupuis 135
Natalie Roccatani 134

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Bausback, Daleman and Schumacher will face off at the Autumn Classic.

Only two JGPs have not been assigned yet. I expected Carle and Dupuis to get assignments based on how they did at the virtual challenge last year so I'm curious to see who Skate Canada sends to the last two events.

Based on summer scores hopefully Long and Tobin get something. And even though Mallet didn't put up a great score at the Quebec Summer skate, I think she's likely to get an assignment too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information