Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

litenkyckling

Yes - here's the GSD thread with more info about the U.S. Nationals qualifying procedure for 2021-22: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/usfs-2021-22-qualifying-season-announced.108191/

Well, Savchenko could qualify for he "Come-Back" clause (if it's still in effect) - relevant excerpt from the 2019-20 Grand Prix Announcement:

“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the
past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one
or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure
Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2019/20
of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection
Meeting. Such so called “Come Back Skaters/Couples” will not substitute any of the Seeded
Skaters/Couples, mentioned under a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of
the minimum Grand Prix score and would be considered for selection as an Organizing ISU Member
Choice. A come back under this clause is allowed only once in their competitive career for any
Skater/Couple.
is this still relevent given she is no longer part of the "comeback" couple? Or can you still have access to this rule as someone who was part of a couple?

Sylvia

TBD
is this still relevent given she is no longer part of the "comeback" couple? Or can you still have access to this rule as someone who was part of a couple?
Maybe it's the Return of a Split Couple - “Returning Split Couple” criterion? I get them mixed up.

Pairs or Dance Couples, who were previously in the top 7 to 12 of an ISU World Figure Skating
Championships in the past two seasons ... but who split and now have a new partner,
may always be chosen as an Organizing ISU Member Skater as per paragraph 2.2. f) and in addition,
may be considered as an Organizing ISU Member’s Choice as per paragraph 2.2. g). They will be ranked
in the list of Grand Prix Season’s Best scores by taking the season’s points of their partnership with their
most recent previous partner, if proof is given in writing by their ISU Member that they intend to continue
their competitive career and their return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection
Meeting. Such Pairs/Dance Couples are defined as a “Returning Split Couple” and such Returning Split
Couples do not need to fulfill the requirement of a minimum Grand Prix score.

Debbie S

It looks like the split couple rule only applies to placements from the past 2 Worlds, so 2018 would be too far back. But USFS could assign them to SA and I think they could also be on the alternates list if they do well at a Challenger (?). I think the rule is if a skater/team has 3 int'l assignments in the fall, it's an automatic bye to Nats, but that's a lot for a new pair and quite frankly, I think other teams deserve at least one Challenger before this team gets additional ones.

ballettmaus

Liam has also commented on the video on youtube. Scroll down to the "WHERE IS LIAM?"-comment and there he is in the replies. Someone wrote that Liam apparently reacted to the video on Twitter, calling Dave a "tool", but he deleted that comment and claims on YT that he apologized for it.
Which could mean that he knows or believes the video was taken out of context.

BittyBug

Disgusted
All this talk of the US getting three spots as if Savchenko were on some type of benevolent mission to save US figure skating. If the US deserved three spots, we’d earn them without her help. But a third spot for the sake of a third spot if it’s take up by someone who is allegedly under investigation by SafeSport? How does that help the sport?

Sylvia

TBD
... and quite frankly, I think other teams deserve at least one Challenger before this team gets additional ones.
Agreed. Also, it is my understanding that any new team has to compete in a club/non-qualifying competition and attain a certain score in order to be added to the ISP before they are eligible to be selected for internationals (I believe the GP special exemption clauses are an exception?).

olympic

I spent the last 30 minutes reading thru the TJ Nyman thread and this thread: Let me know if this is correct (No joke. I am trying to wrap my head around this!) -

Part 1 - Former skater, Emma Tang is exposing male pairs skater TJ Nyman as a serial rapist on Instagram. She herself is not a victim but is helping get their stories out there because they are afraid of retaliation. There are multiple girls / women and some (or all?) are underage (?). TJ's 'friends' may have been involved. Dalilah Sappenfield is covering it up and is unapologetic about John Coughlin's actions.

It was referred to Safesport who has been investigating it for 9 months - Is it still being investigated? How long do these take?

Part 2 - Nine months later, Aljona Savchenko gets a release from the DEU and comes to the US / wants to compete for the US. She is already 37 years old and she coincidentally selected TJ as her partner. She won't be eligible to compete for the US until 2026 when she will be over 40.

I have a headache.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Wonderful, now not only is Aljona contributing her once stellar reputation to rehabilitating TJ and Dalilah's reputations, and using the teen girls at the rink(some of whom may be victims)for babysitting, she's taken it even further by dating him. I remember when the allegations first came out that he went on TSL and went on and on about how much he loves older women, so what, is this a PR stunt? I honestly can't decide which is worse, Aljona cynically deciding that dating him would provide enough cover for his history to be worth blowing up her family life for, or her genuinely falling for him. I'm disgusted.

Dating him?

I’m so confused, and I’m trying to keep up as best as I can. She’s married..... is she not?

AngieNikodinovLove

I lurves ya, ANL, but how quickly you forget! You posted this

in the TJ Nyman Accused of Rape thread back in October, so this is hardly news to you. 🤷‍♂️

Lollllll

I can’t even remember what liquer I put in my Cheerios this morning and I’m supposed to remember all that?

🤣😎💕

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

AngieNikodinovLove

So if all this pans out in January at nationals my girl Alexa is going to have to compete against her previous coach, Alijona, who is being coached by her previous coach Dalilah! 👽🤡

ANL need a cocktail

It’s like a Tele novella

Last edited:

soogar

In Praise of Older Women...like the famous ‘70s movie, LOL!

I have an idea for a program. Just as Kolyada (and now the Cain-LeDuc) skate to the Nureyev film White Crow, Aljona & TJ might want to portray Nureyev and Fonteyn...famous May-December ballet partnership of the ‘60s. 😏
Off the subject but Nureyev and Fonteyn were dynamite. Would be fantastic if Aljona could replicate that passion on ice. Interested to see what comes of this pair. His baggage notwithstanding, I think it was smart move on her part to pick someone a lot younger since his shoulders and back may hold up for a lot longer than her previous partners. I would like to see what she could do at 40 years old on the ice. I don't think the guy can be judged as third rate. His previous partner was not as talented as Aljona. Most American girls would good singles skills would not go into pairs. Now he has a world class partner with huge competitive ambitions and fire who was practicing quads and triple axels in a harness after she had her baby. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the motivation he needs to raise his game. Time will tell what will come out of the investigation.

Xela M

Maybe more to this story.... :watch::watch::watch:

Just to add, is she even still together with her husband? He hasn't updated his account since Mother's Day and he's been missing from hers as well. Too bad @Tinami Amori is not here with us, but I remember her comments on Aljona and how she would probably do the same thing to her husband as she had her partners. (paraphrasing because this was years ago, miss her and she was right on a lot of things.)
Omg have been away and totally missed that Tinami Amori isn't here. I hope she's ok?!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
She won't be eligible to compete for the US until 2026 when she will be over 40.
She will be eligible to compete for the US this year as she has been released from Germany and hasn't competed internationally for them for long. enough ago that it's not a problem.

She won't be eligible to represent the US at the Olympics until she's a citizen and how long that will take is unknown. It's unlikely she'll get an exemption to compete in the '22 Olympics though. It's possible she could be a citizen by 2026 but that's the soonest as these things often take at least 5 years but could take longer and it will depend on what she is willing to do to meet the requirements.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
C'mon man
@Yehudi is correct. Some skaters “choreograph” everything right down to how they act in the Kiss & Cry. I know for a fact that skaters of one of the most revered coaches in skating does so.
She won't be eligible to compete for the US until 2026 when she will be over 40.
She’s been released by Germany. She’s eligible to compete for the US at everything except the Olympics from 1 July.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
@Yehudi is correct. Some skaters “choreograph” everything right down to how they act in the Kiss & Cry. I know for a fact that skaters of one of the most revered coaches in skating does so.
Who would choreograph an overly long hug that was so long that it made the people watching feel uncomfortable?

Last edited by a moderator:

canbelto

When did TJ and Aljona kiss? I saw a video of them hugging a long time but not kissing.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I have no interest watching these two perform Broken Home on Ice. And they're competing under the guise of our American flag,which makes the situation even more unseemly. Whatever happened to morality and values in figure skating?

-BB
There's none, just look at Browning 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information