Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

Serious question here how can you get a foreign feed during the Olympics? Do I need some sort of program to run by the geoblock? I want to watch the Olympics not the Simone livestream.

Aaron MB Fan

A look at the top scorers this season on UB (not sure how much the National scores from the US, JPN, and CHN competitors will go down or not internationally)

USA
Sunisa Lee 15.3
Riley McCusker 15.1
Simone Biles 14.7

JPN
Hitomi Hatakeda 14.3
Mai Murakami 14.2

CHN
Fan Yilin 15.0
Li Shijia 14.7
Lu Yufei 14.6
(among others less likely to make the team scoring in same range)

RUS (at Europeans 2021)
Angelina Melnikova 14.6
Vladislava Urazova 14.5
Viktoria Listunova 14.3

(Nina Derwael at Worlds 2019 -15.2)

Others at Europeans 2021
Filipa Martins 14.2
Amelie Morgan 14.1
Jonna Adlertag 14.0
Giorgia Villa 14.0
(Becky Downie's highest UB score at the early season trials was 14.3- I forget what she scored at her own personal trial)
At the virtual Canadian Nationals, Ava Stewart scored 14.5 and Ellie Black scored 14.250 on UB on Day 2.

I am really hoping Ava gets named to the team as Canada needs her bars score. With Ava, Canada could have an outside shot at qualifying in each EF assuming the team is Black, Moors, Stewart, Olsen. (VT: Olsen, Black; UB: Stewart; BB: Black; FX: Moors, Black)

FiveRinger

Serious question here how can you get a foreign feed during the Olympics? Do I need some sort of program to run by the geoblock? I want to watch the Olympics not the Simone livestream.
Get a vpn. I’ve been paying for one for months and haven’t really used it. This is the perfect excuse. Eurosport, or whoever is covering the Olympics in Britain, here I come.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
My :sekret: sekret source says the team is known, but will not be announced publicly until June 17th.

None of this is a secret. The olympic selection process which is publicly downloadable indicates that "Unofficial notice will take place within 48 hours of the conclusion of Canadian Championships 2021 for the first four athletes, travelling reserve and non-travelling reserves"

And the June 17th date for the official announcement has been shared via press releases via gymcan.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Why would they give unofficial notice and keep it from the public for so long?

Are they hearing and evaluating appeals?

Rob

Beach Bum
Judging from her latest IG post, it seems Hurd won’t be petitioning to Trials. I’m a bit sad because she’s the one gymnast I’ve been following in the last four years.
I saw a post on Reddit (but with no source) that her petition was denied. I am sad too, she looked back on track at AmCup last year. If not for the pandemic, I thought she'd make the team last year. I wanted to see a bit more artistry on our team. Well, on to the Gators for her!

Debbie S

You can download the Opera browser and set your location to somewhere outside the U.S.

I'm hoping the NBC website will offer a feed for each apparatus like they did last time, so I can switch back and forth depending on who is up and where the action is.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
You can download the Opera browser and set your location to somewhere outside the U.S.

I'm hoping the NBC website will offer a feed for each apparatus like they did last time, so I can switch back and forth depending on who is up and where the action is.
This may be a 3 or 4 screen Os for me. One tablet VPN’d to Europe, one on Peacock, and the TVs toggling between NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, NBCSports and the Oly Channel. I have my fingers crossed that there will be some sort of comprehensive guide that helps me sort through it all.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I did a little digging and it looks like CHN has its next/last(?) trials 6/18, Germany starts 6/20, Ukraine 6/21, USA 6/24, NED 6/26, SUI 6/26, ITA 7/9. Russian trials or whatever is going on now.

Named teams so far: JPN, GBR

Named/earned spots individuals on countries with no teams (there are others but these are some of the most notable)

Women
BRA Rebeca Andrade, Flavia Saraiva
UKR Diana Varinska
ROM Larisa Iordache, Maria Holbura
SUI Giulia Steingruber
SWE Jonna Adlerteg
AUS Emily Whitehead, Georgia Godwin
HUN Zsofia Kovacs
MEX Alexa Moreno
JAM Danusia Francis
KOR Yun Seo Lee, Seo Jeong Yeo
POR Ana Filipa Martins
UZB Oksana Chusovitina
ARG Martina Dominici
CRC Luciana Alvarado

Men
FRA Samir Ait Said, Loris Frasca, Cyril Tommasone
ITA Ludovico Edalli
ROM Marian Dragulescu
CAN Rene Cournoyer
PHI Carlos Yulo
ISR Alexander Shatilov, Artem Dolgopyat
TUR Ferhat Arican, Ibrahim Colak, Ahmet Onder
ARM Artur Davtyan
NED Bart Deurloo
MEX Daniel Corral
IRL Rhys McClenaghen
CRO Tin Srbic

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
RUSSIA Cup 2021 (result from today 6/10)

WOMEN AA
Viktoriia Listunova 113.69
Vladislava Urazova 113.66
Angelina Melnikova 113.46
Liliia Akhaimova 108
Elena Gerasimova 107
Mariia Minaeva 105
Iana Vorona 104
Olga Astafeva 103

For reference, Nationals 2021 AA in March
Viktoriia Listunova 114
Vladislava Urazova 113
Angelina Melnikova 111
Elena Gerasimova 108
Mariia Minaeva 107
Iana Vorona 106
Liliia Akhaimova 105
Olga Astafeva 105

MEN AA Russia Cup (6/10)
Nikita Nagornyy - 174.598 (87.332, 87.266)
Alexander Kartsev - 167.963 (83.165, 84.798)
Nikita Ignatev - 165.031 (81.166, 83.865)
Sergei Naidin - 161.897 (81.233, 80.664)
Viktor Kalyuzhny - 161.896 (81.066, 80.830)
Alexey Rostov - 160.930 (78.265, 82.665)
Kirill Prokopev - 160.329 (81.365, 78.964)
Kirill Gashkov - 158.064 (78.832, 79.232)

For Reference, 2021 Nationals in March-
Alexander Kartsev 168
Artur Dalaloyan 167
David Belyavsky 167
Nikita Ignatyev 165
Ivan Kulyak 161
Viktor Kalyuzhin 161
Kirill Prokopev 160

Rob

Beach Bum
Named/earned spots individuals on countries with no teams (there are others but these are some of the most notable)

Women

ROM Larisa Iordache, Maria Holbura

Men

ROM Marian Dragulescu
So weird to see ROM without any teams again. Also no team for BRA, but I am so glad Andrade made it.

Stephanie

News on the Russian team: http://eng.gymnovosti.com/rodionenko-we-decided-on-the-teams-for-the-olympic-games/

Rodionenko confirmed to R-Sport that for men, the team is more or less decided and for women, the three spots are decided and the last spot is between Elena Gerasimova and Lilia Akhaimova:

“We decided on the teams for the Olympic Games. For guys, we count on Dalaloyan whose recovery is going well and who has another month to recover. And there’s no equivalent replacement for him. That’s why the team is, first of all, Nagorny, Belyavskiy, Dalaloyan, and Kartsev. For girls, it’s Melnikova, Listunova, Urazova and, likely, Gerasimova. The choice is between Gerasimova and Akhaimova but Gerasimova is a bit more reliable.”

FiveRinger

Can I just say that Becky Downie is a class act? I don't know if I could be this humble. I know this is a couple of days old, but I just saw it.

Becky Downie's Response to Not Making the GB Olympic Team

Alternately, I was half asleep when I was listening to Gymcastic podcast last night. Mykayla Skinner was named Miss Congeniality at the US Championships! She tied with someone that I don't remember (I'll come back and edit to add if I get a chance to re-listen). You could have bought me for free. That's a total 180 from where we were with her after the Rio selection. College gymnastics must have helped her mature a lot.....I never saw that coming. Her behavior back then was so unsportsmanlike and might have seriously contributed to why she didn't make that team.

ETA: Skinner was voted Miss Congeniality along with Laurie Hernandez. 😲

Last edited:

just tuned in

The current members of the U.S. Men’s Senior National Team are listed below. All Senior National Team members are eligible to compete at the U.S. Olympic Trials June 24-27 in St. Louis.

Men’s Senior National Team

• Cameron Bock, Ann Arbor, Mich./University of Michigan
  • Allan Bower, Chandler, Ariz./University of Oklahoma
  • Brandon Briones, Gilbert, Ariz./Stanford University
  • Alex Diab, Glen Ellyn, Ill./University of Illinois
  • Gage Dyer, Yukon, Okla./University of Oklahoma
  • Vitaliy Guimaraes, Norman, Okla./University of Oklahoma
  • Ian Gunther, Houston, Texas/Stanford University
  • Paul Juda, Deerfield, Ill./University of Michigan
  • Riley Loos, El Dorado Hills, Calif./Stanford University
  • Brody Malone, Belfast, Tenn./Stanford University
  • Sam Mikulak, Newport Coast, Calif./U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Center
  • Akash Modi, Morganville, N.J./Stanford University
  • Yul Moldauer, Arvada, Colo./5280 Gymnastics
  • Stephen Nedoroscik, Worcester, Mass./Penn State University
  • Robert Neff, Brookfield, Wis./U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Center*
  • Eddie Penev, Penfield, N.Y./U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Center
  • Matt Wenske, Houston, Texas/University of Oklahoma*
  • Donnell Whittenburg, New Berlin, Wis./Salto Gymnastics
  • Shane Wiskus, Spring Park, Minn./U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Center
  • Alec Yoder, Indianapolis, Ind./Ohio State University*

*Individuals named to the team by the Men’s Program Committee

canbelto

Anyone know if Simone is going to the Yurchenko double pike at the Olympics? It'd be awesome if she did it at event finals.

FiveRinger

Anyone know if Simone is going to the Yurchenko double pike at the Olympics? It'd be awesome if she did it at event finals.
I’d assume that she will do it at some point. She has to do it at the Olympics or Worlds for it to be named after her. Tim and Nastia said that she’ll do it at Trials.

millyskate

She has said I think she'll do it in TF as it's the time they get warm-up. EFs are not an option because there is no warm-up.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I thought she said AA as there is a one touch warmup there.

There is also a one touch warmup in the team event, but she may not want to take the risk there.

There is no one touch warmup for event finals so she won't be doing it there.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Teams named so far

GBR MEN James Hall, Giarnni Regini-Moran, Joe Fraser, Max Whitlock
JPN MEN Daiki Hashimoto, Kazuma Kaya, Wataru Tanigawa, Takeru Kitazono
RUS MEN Artur Dalaloyan, Nikita Nagornyy, David Belyavsky, Aleksandr Kartsev

GBR WOMEN Amelie Morgan, Alice Kinsella, Jennifer Gadirova, Jessica Gadirova
JPN WOMEN Mai Murakami, Hitomi Hatakeda, Yuna Hiraiwa, Aiko Sugihara
RUS WOMEN Angelina Melnikova, Vladislava Urazova, Viktoria Listunova, and probably Elena Gerasimova

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information