Josh Duggar ('19 Kids and Counting') Arrested by Feds

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
So there is this tweet:

No word on what he is charged with. Not sure how she puts in the info she does and doesn't comment on what he is actually charged with...

eta.... Update:

So charges won't be public, someone protecting him, but must note the judge has said if he is released on bail he is not to be around minors..

So I suspect the praying the sin away and therapy he got years back hasn't helped...

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
The Christian church created this weird view of sex.
Honestly, that's true. The Old Testament has a lot of strictures about sex (like the Leviticus verse the homophobes love to quote) but the real emphasis on having a choice of celibacy or marriage, and that sex was part of the original sin, is a New Testament creation.

FiveRinger

So there is this tweet:

No word on what he is charged with. Not sure how she puts in the info she does and doesn't comment on what he is actually charged with...

eta.... Update:

So charges won't be public, someone protecting him, but must note the judge has said if he is released on bail he is not to be around minors..

So I suspect the praying the sin away and therapy he got years back hasn't helped...
So if he is released on bail, he can't go home. Dear God.....I'm sorry that I was right. What a sh*t show.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
A high school history teacher told me the emphasis on no sex outside of marriage came when England made the church financial responsible for children born to unwed mothers. I have never tried to corroborate this, but it sounds plausible.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Where in the New Testament are you finding that?
Many places I can't cite right now, and this article focuses more on LGBTQ issues, but here: https://religionnews.com/2017/08/22/why-is-sexuality-such-a-big-deal-for-the-church/

The reason the Catholic Church forbids birth control is because sex is only proper when the possibility of procreation exists (even masturbation is a sin.) A lot of it goes back to Augustine and the influence of some late Hellenic philosophers, body/soul dichotomy etc. Your church may be different and of course there's a lot of variation in Christianity as in all religions, but the New Testament did take a women-are-property legal structure from Judaism and turn it into a more sin-based attitude towards sex.

skatfan

Where in the New Testament are you finding that?
The apostle Paul wrote that it was better to remain single and celibate but ok if you had to marry. Monasticism later prioritized celibacy over marriage. @PRlady is right that Judaism has had a healthier understanding of sexuality.

Progressive churches tend to be better than fundamental/evangelical ones on sexuality. And don’t get me started on Mormonism.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
There's nothing in any of those articles and posts that says sex was part of the original sin, which was the specific claim. Or that the New Testament says it was. Augustine was post-New Testament (and as far as I know, even he didn't say that it was, although he did have some bad views on sex and gender).

But we're off-topic, so we can discuss this at another time and place if you want. In the meantime, I hope Anna Duggar takes those kids and gets out of Dodge, and I hope Josh gets a VERY long sentence.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I wonder if his parents will tell the victims in this case that they need to show forgiveness to him so that everyone can move along :mad:

mjb52

So sad and awful.

That Jill is the one who has ended up the most distanced from her family is so interesting to me. It shows how unpredictable life is. Of the four oldest, she always seemed to be the one who was seen as the most obedient for a long time.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
So sad and awful.

That Jill is the one who has ended up the most distanced from her family is so interesting to me. It shows how unpredictable life is. Of the four oldest, she always seemed to be the one who was seen as the most obedient for a long time.

And her "rebellion" is comparatively mild - wearing sleeveless tops and shorts, getting a teeny-tiny nose piercing, having an alcoholic drink with a restaurant meal. But yet that's enough for people to attack her online and her parents to discourage her and her family from visiting :(

Amy L

So sad and awful.

Showing obedience and compliance is a self-preservation tool until you can get out.

Or she realized that no matter how perfect and obedient she was she'd always be "just" a girl and a third-class citizen at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information