2022 Olympic Season Music Ideas/Suggestions

Sylvia

TBD
I am all for creativity but would love for Jason Brown to keep Sinnerman for next season too.
@Marco, Jason is keeping "Sinnerman" for the Olympic season :) - article about his Alvin Ailey influenced-choreography by Rohene Ward is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...roll-uber-thread-2.98882/page-26#post-5989760

ETA:
I've always loved the soundtracks from The English Patient
"Kip's Lights" is short but lovely (baroque-like).

Last edited:

Cachoo

Sometimes I like the beauty of one instrument and the ice. The example provided is "Springtime" by Stephan Berg:

Katha

I'm guessing S/K intend to skate to classical next season (although hey who knows!) but I could see them doing a good program to The Beatles at some point.
Why not a classical Beatles arrangement? Doing a Klimova/Ponomarenko hommage worked in 2018/19. ;) Actually, Beatles doesn't sound like a bad idea at all tbh. But they'd need to pick suitable songs.

I'd love Schubert's "Death and the Maiden." It's not so far out of their wheelhouse that they'd be taking a huge trainwreck risk, but it's sharper and more dramatic therefore gives the possibility to do their own thing stylistically and break away from the "soft, soft" programs. Plus, the music is just so georgeous.

Schubert

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I want someone to skate to the OST of Polanski's "Tess" by Philippe Sarde, it's soooo beautiful und could work for a skater like Kostornaia or Shcherbakova: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgOpYZMYJC4

Speaking of Polanski, I also love the soundtrack of his movie "The Fearless Vampire Killers" by Krzysztof Komeda. It would make a voidy ice dance or pairs program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abYohHRa_u4

Also, there is not enough Danny Elfman in figure skating. Gimme all the voidy Tim Burton-movie-themed programs.

Another soundtrack I love and which has never (?) been used is "Dangerous Liaisons" and it brings ALL THE DRAMA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y4OnbCzKoM .

"The Way we were" would be a good choice for Tarasova/Morozov IMHO.

Everyone knows the movie trilogy about Empress Sisi with Romy Schneider, but barely anyone acknowledges the music for the genius work that it is. Imagine the hairstyle and costume possibilities if the skater sticks to Schneider's look in the movie! I have rarely seen a more beautiful film regarding costumes and hair. It's not historically correct, of course, but I don't care.
A couple of years ago, people have been able to restore the soundtrack and made a new recording:
"Sissi": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowPLv1nito
"Sissi - The young Empress": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DATM6gbnPgg (probably my favorite suite)
"Sissi - Fateful years of an Empress": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yiq_uJDaAo

Last edited:

beckab81

I’d like to see someone skate to the soundtrack of Moonrise Kingdom, there are some great tracks.

Some that are super unlikely (and are probably hard to choreograph), but would be fun:
  • Hamilton
  • the finale from Pitch Perfect
  • Bon Jovi medley

flyingsit

I really want someone to skate to Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings. It needs to be someone very lyrical with effortless speed.

And there's some great stuff in the soundtrack to Gosford Park.

One more thing... I would LOVE to see Nathan Chen do another ballet-inspired program.

Orm Irian

I’d like to see someone skate to the soundtrack of Moonrise Kingdom, there are some great tracks.

Some that are super unlikely (and are probably hard to choreograph), but would be fun:
  • Hamilton
  • the finale from Pitch Perfect
  • Bon Jovi medley
For Hamilton: If you haven't come across it already, check out Jason Brown's 'The Room Where It Happens' program - I don't think it was his most successful, mostly because the music cut stays with the spoken-word portions of the song for too long and it feels unbalanced, but he had fun with it.

And I was about to rec Ivett Toth's 'Thunderstruck' SP from the last Olympic year for Bon Jovi until I remembered that of course that's the Dacca, not Bon Jovi, so I can't!

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I need some indie rock/britpop/alternative rock in figure skating, preferably from the early 2000s or new stuff that has the same sound that makes me feel 17 again.
No more Coldplay or MUSE, gimme da real stuff: music played by skinny cute boys in skinny jeans with curly hair.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
KATE BUSH!!!!

Running Up That Hill would choreograph itself. :inavoid:

Oh to hear someone skate to the lyrics:

"And if I only could,
I'd make a deal with God,
And I'd get him to swap our places,
Be running up that road,
Be running up that hill,
With no problems."

Vagabond

I would like to see James & Radford do a Free Skate to a mix of "A Little Respect" (either the Abba original or, better, the Erasure cover) and Aretha Franklin's "Respect." ;)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
For an exquisitely musical Singles skater (Jason? Satoko?)...or energetic skater hoping to be more musical (Trusova?)...

The galloping pas-de-trois music from Frederick Ashton’s ballet Les Rendezvous, to music by Constant Lambert (after Auber). Begins at the 9:34 mark here:

Imagine a great segment of fast footwork to the final explosive bars...from 11:15 to 11:56 where the piece ends!

screech

I've decided I want to see someone skate to Railway Children this year.
I'd also love to see someone skate to Intermezzo. I've always loved that piece of music.
Another piece that someone could do a lot with is the Acceleration Waltz. And on the topic of Strauss, someone with a lot of playful energy should do the Tritsch-Tratsch Polka.

And after Sir Anthony Hopkins' Oscars win this weekend, maybe someone will chose to skate to his composition "And The Waltz Goes On". I can't recall anyone other than Virtue/Moir using the piece.

Last edited:

RoseRed

I'd also love to see someone skate to Intermezzo. I've always loved that piece of music.
Another piece that someone could do a lot with is the Acceleration Waltz. And on the topic of Strauss, someone with a lot of playful energy should do the Tritsch-Tratsch Polka.

And after Sir Anthony Hopkins' Oscars win this weekend, maybe someone will chose to skate to his composition "And The Waltz Goes On". I can't recall anyone other than Virtue/Moir using the piece.
Bashynska/Beaumont have used it in the FD the past couple of seasons.

nuge

Always wanted skating to Wuthering Heights Kate Bush as a FD. Hawayek and Baker would suit it ?:p

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
...maybe someone will chose to skate to his composition "And The Waltz Goes On". I can't recall anyone other than Virtue/Moir using the piece.

Skated at last month’s Worlds by Hungarian champ Julia Lang! Here at Nationals -

alexikeguchi

I second the Intermezzo. I had a funny experience playing that in my high school orchestra when our conductor forgot he had submitted it for a concert program, and we ended up pretty much sight-reading at the performance. The result was actually quite good, and he mouthed a silent thank you to us as soon as we finished.

Bigbird

The Winner Takes it All the original from ABBA or
My Way Frank Sinatra.

Not sure for whom though. Hmm...

avivadawn

Glinka’s Jota Aragonesa.
That would be amazing for Alysa.

Can’t wait to hear what music she actually chose for next season’s programs.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I still want a skater like Jason Brown to skate to Blue Skies by Ella Fitzgerald. I would also love a skater to skate to Misty by Lloyd Price. I could see Jason Brown skating to that also! :rockstar:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information