Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I don’t think many would have predicted that Zhenya would be competing longer than Zagitova. Zhenya keeps improving. I am shocked that anyone truly believes Zagitova will compete again.
medvedeva always had her money jumps the 3Lo and 3S, But she still needs all her triples back, then 3-3s Salchow and Flip, but this will not be competitive no matter how they inflate her PCS, She needs at least a Quad like Tuk is trying now. Didnt she attempted before 4S in practices.

Medvedeva should consider returning post Olympics as to prevent any big damage to reputation and then everything else follows.

Xela M

medvedeva always had her money jumps the 3Lo and 3S, But she still needs all her triples back, then 3-3s Salchow and Flip, but this will not be competitive no matter how they inflate her PCS, She needs at least a Quad like Tuk is trying now. Didnt she attempted before 4S in practices.

Medvedeva should consider returning post Olympics as to prevent any big damage to reputation and then everything else follows.
The current World Champion didn't land any quads. I don't think quads are a prerequisite to doing well internationally. Waiting longer makes no sense. Medvedeva only gets older and more injury-prone and there will always be younger skaters coming up the ranks

trouble77

Banned Member
Shcherbakova removed the quads at Worlds because there was no reason for her to do it...She skated last and there was no need to take that route given the performance of the skaters who came before her. At Nationals she had to dish two quads in order to win. Quads are important.

Last edited:

Lilia A

She didn't remove the quad she fell on it, and got a q, iirc.
Yes to both. Although one could argue that she removed her other two quads. She didn't need that one quad to win anyway. Trusova's SP disaster and Rika's LP meltdown (still not over the latter) opened the door enough to just do a 7 triple free skate and win easily.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Shcherbakova removed the quads at Worlds because there was no reason for her to do it...She skated last and there was no need to take that route given the performance of the skaters who came before her. At Nationals she had to dish two quads in order to win. Quads are important.
Didnt she fell on her 4F and her attempted 4Lz-3t turned into 3lz-3T

Quads are still important, sure there are times other skaters fail but it happens rarely
Kostornaia even needs a quad to be competitive against her peers.

Med can return back but without a quad, she'll settle for bronzes Not GOLD !

mjb52

Anna fell on the quad flip but it sounds like she decided not to try the quad lutz and always intended to do triple lutz/triple toe.

yeslek

Yes to both. Although one could argue that she removed her other two quads. She didn't need that one quad to win anyway. Trusova's SP disaster and Rika's LP meltdown (still not over the latter) opened the door enough to just do a 7 triple free skate and win easily.
I don’t think she was in shape to do two more at worlds.

hanca

Values her privacy
True. But, unlike Kwan, Med has zero chance of winning in the future. Not just the OGM, but anything.
Never say zero chances. No one expected Samodurova to win the Europeans when there was Zagitova, Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva who would be more likely to be sent than Samodurova. Tuktamysheva then had to stop competing because of pneumonia, and suddenly it was decided that Samodurova would get her chance to be sent (not many expected Samodurova was going to be sent with her 6th place at senior nationals rather than Medvedeva who finished seventh. There is not that much difference between sixth and seventh place, and one could argue that Medvedeva as the nore experienced competitor with much better name internationally-past worlds champion would be sent). I don’t think many people still thought that Samodurova will beat Konstantinova and Zagitova. Well, Samodurova got the gold.

The same, I don’t think many people believed that Zagitova would be the world champion in 2019.

I don’t think many people would believe last year that Tuktamysheva has a chance to ever get to world championship and get there a silver medal.

I don’t think Medvedeva has huge chances to be winning in the future, but if the stars align (some of the
skaters can’t compete because of health reasons) and she is sent, she may surprise us. The same as Tuktamysheva did this season.

Last edited:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Is it still rumor or a late aprils fool prank about Trusova moving back to Tut?

It has made into new outlets with international broadcast

Eislauffan

In this interview that was posted today on Olympic Channel, Anna Shcherbakova talked about her quads at Worlds:

She orginally planned 4F and 4Lz, but when training didn't go well, she decided to go for two 4F (solo and in combination). However, when she missed the first 4F she decided to do a 3F combo instead as she realized she'd lose too many points if she falls again.

Had Alexandra Trusova landed all her five quads cleanly, she'd have such a massive tech score that she most likely would have won the whole thing. She already won the free skating segment.

Scott512

Didnt she fell on her 4F and her attempted 4Lz-3t turned into 3lz-3T

Quads are still important, sure there are times other skaters fail but it happens rarely
Kostornaia even needs a quad to be competitive against her peers.

Med can return back but without a quad, she'll settle for bronzes Not GOLD !
Aliona just needs her 3A back. Last year's Aliona would of won worlds. I'm hoping leaving TT was not a fatal blow to her career.

I think last years Aliona with that kind of form would of won this year's worlds too. Now she's trying to save her career and get back in competition to make the Olympic team. I think she can do it and I think she gains mental strength from knowing someone just won worlds someone at the same dink as her that did not even land and ultra jump. The olympic season should be very interesting for the Russian ladies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It’s one Duma member bringing it up. Megan Duhamel also mentioned as being part of the discussion of the show in question...Megan mentioning Scherbakova looking sickly.

Consider the politics...how TSL recently had a persona non grata Russian journalist as a guest.

Russia may shut-up its journalists but can’t call shots in other countries...although the USA isn’t exactly innocent in that (e.g., trying to impose liberal thinking about homosexuality on Russians...or dictating “freedom for Uighurs” to China). It’s all part of the political tug of war.

The irony in all of this is that TSL has great love of Russian skating & culture (or ex-USSR skaters & coaches, like Dave’s own coach Galina Smievskaya, Victor Petrenko, et al).

I’m resurrecting my old post about TSL’s current situation just to make a clarification & correction.

When I wrote that post, I was working off old faulty memories in referencing a Russian “persona non grata” journalist who Dave Lease had interviewed a while back. As it turned out, it was the legendary Elena Vaitsekhovskaya (whose wonderful interviews with current Russian skaters are often published here on FSU).

I’ve since rewatched that Nov 2019 interview. Just want to correct that, while outspoken & sometimes not towing the Russian Fed’s line, EV took herself out of Sport Express (of which she was co-founder) due to editing requests to write stories a certain way...she wasn’t asked to relinquish her credentials!

Also interesting to hear about EV’s close connection with Tamara Moskvina, who asked EV to collaborate with/on Moskvin’s book. (Moskvina herself was very recently interviewed by Dave Lease/TSL.)

For those interested in hearing juicy stuff about ice-dance judging at the 1994 Olympics, go to the 54-minute mark...which explains a lot about the results in Lillehammer...not necessarily having to do with rewarding the best. 😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information