Tiger Woods Injured in Single Car Crash

sk9tingfan

Tiger Woods was involved in a single car crash in LA in which the car landed on its roof and the jaws of life were required to extricate him from his car. He sustained multiple leg injuries and is currently in surgery. The LA Sheriff indicated that he did not believe alcohol was involved but declined to say if any other substance was involved.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Tiger’s car rolled over. He was extricated by first responders. He sustained multiple leg injuries (Compound fractures). He is in surgery right now. His injuries are not life threatening but this accident could mean the end of his golf career. He was already rehabbing from a surgery or injury, it seems. He is 45 now. It will be tough to make a comeback.

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
There is a thread in Other Sports about this:

Perhaps you can discuss in that one?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I knew there was a second thread. Personally I think OTB is a better place for it because Woods is a celebrity and not just a sports figure.
I didn’t realize there was a thread in Sports. I only checked OTBT to see if there was a thread. It never occurred to me to check the Sports forum. :)

Susan1

People are such ghouls. They've been reporting all day that they had to use the "jaws of life". "Jaws of life" has nothing to do with life threatening to the person. It's like a big can opener that cuts the car if the person can't get out. And they did not use that. A reporter asked who he called. Did he call at the scene or at the hospital? It's nobody's business who he called or when. Over and over - were there drugs, who found him, how fast was he going, why'd it take so long to move the vehicle "from the crime scene". Injuries to his legs, had to be extricated, and some idiot asked if he took any steps out of the car. To the guy who got there first and said he tried to keep him calm, they asked what he said to him. I realize everybody loves Tiger, but geez. Stupid, nosy questions. Let's all wish him well and wait to find out how he is.

Judy

People are such ghouls. They've been reporting all day that they had to use the "jaws of life". "Jaws of life" has nothing to do with life threatening to the person. It's like a big can opener that cuts the car if the person can't get out. And they did not use that. A reporter asked who he called. Did he call at the scene or at the hospital? It's nobody's business who he called or when. Over and over - were there drugs, who found him, how fast was he going, why'd it take so long to move the vehicle "from the crime scene". Injuries to his legs, had to be extricated, and some idiot asked if he took any steps out of the car. To the guy who got there first and said he tried to keep him calm, they asked what he said to him. I realize everybody loves Tiger, but geez. Stupid, nosy questions. Let's all wish him well and wait to find out how he is.
Oh now you could never be a reporter lol.

it looks like a nasty crash as the car flipped. Two fractured legs. he’s lucky it wasn’t worse. Hopefully he’s ok.

Susan1

Oh now you could never be a reporter lol.

it looks like a nasty crash as the car flipped. Two fractured legs. he’s lucky it wasn’t worse. Hopefully he’s ok.
I can report. You must not read my DeWine briefings! It's the obnoxious, repetitive questions that I hate. Stuff like today, they just want to be FIRST or BREAKING - along with everybody else. Ghouls. I feel that way about every shooting or accident on local t.v. Only the neighbors or relatives need to know personal information. I wouldn't want my car accident to be reported on t.v. Asking the paramedic or whoever he was what he said to him. What would you want a paramedic to say to you if you were trapped in a car - "I guess your career is over now."? Like they all thought they were going to get some earth-shattering news to report. Nobody is going to go out and say anything bad about Tiger Woods.

(By the way, I wasn't watching it on purpose, and then complaining because it was on. I kept flipping back to MSNBC after our local news and weather and heard the stupid questions. I like Tiger Woods as much as anybody. I watched the program recently where the golfers and their family members played. And one time I was getting my teeth cleaned, and whatever tournament it was got rained out on Sunday, so they were finishing up during the week. There are t.v.s in the rooms, and every time Tiger was going to hit the ball, she stopped cleaning and we watched. When I left, they were watching it on a computer at the reception desk. It was over by the time I got home.)

Last edited:

Judy

I can report. You must not read my DeWine briefings! It's the obnoxious, repetitive questions that I hate. Stuff like today, they just want to be FIRST or BREAKING - along with everybody else. Ghouls. I feel that way about every shooting or accident on local t.v. Only the neighbors or relatives need to know personal information. I wouldn't want my car accident to be reported on t.v. Asking the paramedic or whoever he was what he said to him. What would you want a paramedic to say to you if you were trapped in a car - "I guess your career is over now."? Like they all thought they were going to get some earth-shattering news to report. Nobody is going to go out and say anything bad about Tiger Woods.

(By the way, I wasn't watching it on purpose, and then complaining because it was on. I kept flipping back to MSNBC after our local news and weather and heard the stupid questions. I like Tiger Woods as much as anybody. I watched the program recently where the golfers and their family members played. And one time I was getting my teeth cleaned, and whatever tournament it was got rained out on Sunday, so they were finishing up during the week. There are t.v.s in the rooms, and every time Tiger was going to hit the ball, she stopped cleaning and we watched. When I left, they were watching it on a computer at the reception desk. It was over by the time I got home.)
Lol I thought he was dying by the coverage. There is not even a fleeing in the car from a wife just discovering he was cheating scenario here.

Ugh to two broken legs. Although two broken arms would be worse.

Oreo

I was just hiking over there on Saturday. A friend mentioned it was possible he swerved to avoid an animal, perhaps a deer, which you’ll see in the area at 7am. The media said they don’t know the hotel Tiger Woods was staying at, but it was the Terranea Resort; it’s the only one out there. Also, people are always speeding on that road.

Susan1

"As part of a statement on Woods' official Twitter account, Dr. Anish Mahajan of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center updated the famed golfer's condition, saying in part that Woods had multiple "open fractures" to his lower right leg, and he had a rod placed in his tibia and screws and pins inserted in his foot and ankle during an emergency surgery."

<<<<< I also have a rod and a screw in my leg (left). I didn't have open fractures, just compound - tibia broken at the top and bottom, fibula broken next to the top tibia break. Cast for 3 weeks first till the swelling went down (profile picture). Then rod, pins and screws. (The pictures after I got home are gruesome, still turns my stomach, if you want to see them.) (Screws removed after I went back to work because they were poking through the skin.) Rehab/PT were hell. It will be harder for him with his back problems. I had excellent care and insurance. But he can have people carry him around till he gets better. I was off work for 20 weeks. (I have my final x-ray. How do you take a picture of an x-ray?) I went skating exactly one year and one week after the break. He's a zillionaire and can still make money not golfing. And I do like him and feel sorry for him. I was doing a backwards left inside three turn. He was probably speeding and talking on his phone.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I was just hiking over there on Saturday. A friend mentioned it was possible he swerved to avoid an animal, perhaps a deer, which you’ll see in the area at 7am. The media said they don’t know the hotel Tiger Woods was staying at, but it was the Terranea Resort; it’s the only one out there. Also, people are always speeding on that road.
My golf :sekret: says speed+swerve+sleepy. He was cutting it close for the early call for the shoot. Even though he may have thought he had adjusted to west coast time, his body probably hadn’t .

Judy

"As part of a statement on Woods' official Twitter account, Dr. Anish Mahajan of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center updated the famed golfer's condition, saying in part that Woods had multiple "open fractures" to his lower right leg, and he had a rod placed in his tibia and screws and pins inserted in his foot and ankle during an emergency surgery."

<<<<< I also have a rod and a screw in my leg (left). I didn't have open fractures, just compound - tibia broken at the top and bottom, fibula broken next to the top tibia break. Cast for 3 weeks first till the swelling went down (profile picture). Then rod, pins and screws. (The pictures after I got home are gruesome, still turns my stomach, if you want to see them.) (Screws removed after I went back to work because they were poking through the skin.) Rehab/PT were hell. It will be harder for him with his back problems. I had excellent care and insurance. But he can have people carry him around till he gets better. I was off work for 20 weeks. (I have my final x-ray. How do you take a picture of an x-ray?) I went skating exactly one year and one week after the break. He's a zillionaire and can still make money not golfing. And I do like him and feel sorry for him. I was doing a backwards left inside three turn. He was probably speeding and talking on his phone.
Ugh. Were you in an accident?

Lacey

So, one leg for Tiger? Awful major stuff described, but if it's one then I guess that is better than two.

Susan1

Ugh. Were you in an accident?
Uh, no - Practicing left backward inside three turns. My left blade got caught in a rut and my right foot pushed my left leg. Our adult coach heard the snap clear at the other end of the rink and said Susan just broke her leg at the same time I said I think I just broke my leg. Is there an emoji for "Blurg" (no vomiting) - still. Shudder (Skaters "funny" - I was lying on the ice with everybody's gloves for a pillow when the paramedics got there. When they said they might have to cut the skate off, we all gasped. Like, save the $500 one year old skates, just cut off her leg. I was totally numb and frozen, so I got them to completely unlace both boots. :rolleyes:)

So, one leg for Tiger? Awful major stuff described, but if it's one then I guess that is better than two.
I couldn't bend my knee to sit in the front seat of a car for two and a half months. Had to be scooted along the back bench seat of my dad's car. It was my left leg, but I wasn't allowed to drive for another month after sitting in the passenger seat because I would have to brace that foot on the floor of the car if I had to brake suddenly or something. Washing my hair in the shower and then driving myself to PT was so exciting. I called my mom before I took a shower, and then afterward to tell her I didn't fall. My last appointment with the gorgeous orthopedic surgeon, he said I could do anything I felt like doing, except skydive. Not a problem. Tiger is lucky he didn't kill himself or someone else.

Lacey

Somehow, at least with only one leg injured, as opposed to the rumors yesterday of both legs being horribly hurt, there is a possibility of him eventually being able to use crutches at some point in what will probably be a very long recovery process. And Tiger is a Fighter with a capital "F" as we have seen before with some of his other injuries. This is very very serious stuff, but I think Tiger will surprise us, he is a driven person. He will want to "recover" for his children. Now, about his career, it is going to be another story as to whether or not he will resume golf competitively, even positive I doubt that at this point. And he will be frustrated. But some have said he is lucky to be alive and he will be moving around on both legs in the future.

Colleen

I agree with the comments on the reporting of his crash - yesterday I was sure he was in critical condition with life threatening injuries based on the headlines. A broken leg is bad enough - I hope it's not career ending combined with his back injuries, but he does seem highly motivated and competitive so I am not counting him out. I wish him well.

On a more irreverent note - as I told my golfing friend - I'm pretty confident that I 'drive' better than Tiger! lol.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Let's have a club. Se can all iy TBF or rod Nx 📌
My golf :sekret: says speed+swerve+sleepy. He was cutting it close for the early call for the shoot. Even though he may have thought he had adjusted to west coast time, his body probably hadn’t .
Ummmmm. Where had he been that he was adjusting from? N ear as I can tell he had been in CALIFORNIA for a while giving celebrity golf lessons.. I know California's diverse but it does not have time zone changes.

And he hS not just a tib÷fib fracture but a crushed ankle. The leg bones are generally straight forward (been there..done that...have the 👕 and the rod. Man those screws were huge). But the crushed ankle is complicated.

skatfan

Yes only one but I wonder if this is career ending.
Pretty sure it will be. It was already going to be touch and go because of his recent back surgery. I can’t imagine twisting with all that hardware in his legs and the crushed ankle.

Judy

Uh, no - Practicing left backward inside three turns. My left blade got caught in a rut and my right foot pushed my left leg. Our adult coach heard the snap clear at the other end of the rink and said Susan just broke her leg at the same time I said I think I just broke my leg. Is there an emoji for "Blurg" (no vomiting) - still. Shudder (Skaters "funny" - I was lying on the ice with everybody's gloves for a pillow when the paramedics got there. When they said they might have to cut the skate off, we all gasped. Like, save the $500 one year old skates, just cut off her leg. I was totally numb and frozen, so I got them to completely unlace both boots. :rolleyes:)

I couldn't bend my knee to sit in the front seat of a car for two and a half months. Had to be scooted along the back bench seat of my dad's car. It was my left leg, but I wasn't allowed to drive for another month after sitting in the passenger seat because I would have to brace that foot on the floor of the car if I had to brake suddenly or something. Washing my hair in the shower and then driving myself to PT was so exciting. I called my mom before I took a shower, and then afterward to tell her I didn't fall. My last appointment with the gorgeous orthopedic surgeon, he said I could do anything I felt like doing, except skydive. Not a problem. Tiger is lucky he didn't kill himself or someone else.
That’s horrible. 😔

Yes he is really lucky.
Pretty sure it will be. It was already going to be touch and go because of his recent back surgery. I can’t imagine twisting with all that hardware in his legs and the crushed ankle.
Yes the back is pretty major too.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
For the two previous days, he had been shooting videos for Golf TV, in addition to being in enough pain that he couldn't actually play in the tournament. Video and film shoots can be very long working days. If he was on a busy schedule and in discomfort, I can see him not adjusting well to another early morning wake-up call.

Aceon6

For the two previous days, he had been shooting videos for Golf TV, in addition to being in enough pain that he couldn't actually play in the tournament. Video and film shoots can be very long working days. If he was on a busy schedule and in discomfort, I can see him not adjusting well to another early morning wake-up call.
Agree. The science says up to a week IF you are able to get 6+ hours of sleep which can be hard if you have pain. A big factor is when your body expects sunlight. Right now, east coasters don’t see full sun until around 7 am.

Susan1

Agree. The science says up to a week IF you are able to get 6+ hours of sleep which can be hard if you have pain. A big factor is when your body expects sunlight. Right now, east coasters don’t see full sun until around 7 am.
Really? Millions and millions of people don't get enough sleep and get up in the dark and go to work all day and come home in the dark, in pain or not, and don't speed down a hill and flip their SUV. There are more crashes around daylight saving time than any other time of the year, which we are not in yet. You don't think he has spent years getting up early to hit the golf course at first light? It's a good thing he was driving a 2021 SUV with all the bells and whistles and safety equipment. He could have been killed or killed someone else. He screwed up. There is no excuse. And he will suffer for it. It's VERY sad.

Susan1

I bet the crushed ankle will be the worst part - weight bearing, range of motion and all that. My ankle was fine below the rod, and the first thing the ortho had me do was making circles with my foot when I was watching t.v.

All the leg "hardware" is pretty light - titanium. I got to keep my screws after they took them out. I was surprised that they were blue!

He already knows how hard rehab is. Adding his leg to that will be excruciating.

Aceon6

@Susan1 I never implied that he wasn’t at fault. Not sure how you read that. Again my golf :sekret: said speed #1, swerve #2, and sleepy #3. He wasn’t paying attention.

eta, I play competitive golf. Not anywhere near that level, but I understand the biomechanics. The problem will be trying to get some flex in the ankle and knee. A right handed golfer loads the right side on the backswing. The hip, knee and ankle need to flex to take the load, then allow you to push off. At Tiger’s level, the amount of force in that push off is staggering. Given that his injury almost always includes ligament and tendon damage, he’s probably done with PGA Tour level events. He might be able to rehab enough for Champions Tour, but he’ll be competing against guys who’ve never had his back and now leg issues.

Last edited:

Susan1

@Susan1 I never implied that he wasn’t at fault. Not sure how you read that. Again my golf :sekret: said speed #1, swerve #2, and sleepy #3. He wasn’t paying attention.

eta, I play competitive golf. Not anywhere near that level, but I understand the biomechanics. The problem will be trying to get some flex in the ankle and knee. A right handed golfer loads the right side on the backswing. The hip, knee and ankle need to flex to take the load, then allow you to push off. At Tiger’s level, the amount of force in that push off is staggering. Given that his injury almost always includes ligament and tendon damage, he’s probably done with PGA Tour level events. He might be able to rehab enough for Champions Tour, but he’ll be competing against guys who’ve never had his back and now leg issues.
o.k. - it was just whoever said he had trouble adjusting to the morning thing that I was like "huh". And if he was too tired or in too much pain to drive responsibly, there were probably 1,000 people within shouting distance who would have driven him across the country if he wanted.

Whenever I said my bone hurts right here, I was reminded that bones don't feel pain. It's the muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves. The phrase comes to me in that order, not by order of importance. There's a lot of stuff to worry about. And infection, blood clots. I had to take a baby aspirin every day. I couldn't take any pain medicine after I got home after the break or after the surgery. It made me sick.

Funny, every time they are "oh my god he had a rod put in his leg", I stick my leg toward the t.v. He's not dead. And not funny, I saw an article about how this will affect golf ratings on t.v. if he is not playing. Geez. He's not dead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information