As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I'm reading The Thursday Murder Club by British TV presenter Richard Osman and it's a brilliant light read. Think Agatha Christie with a very British sense of humour. A lot of UK cultural references but I think anyone wanting an easy read would enjoy it.
Thanks for the recommendation! I love Agatha Christie, so I've put this one on hold at my local library :) (I'm currently #89 on the list, so I might be waiting a while :lol: )

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I'm reading The Thursday Murder Club by British TV presenter Richard Osman and it's a brilliant light read. Think Agatha Christie with a very British sense of humour. A lot of UK cultural references but I think anyone wanting an easy read would enjoy it.
I have this in my waiting to be read pile. Good to know it's worth reading.

puglover

The new book by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child is out. It is called "The Scorpion"s Tail" and is book #2 in the Nora Kelly series featuring her and Corrie Swanson. Reviews seem good - except for the audio version which has a lot of negative feedback on the narrator. Somewhere Pendergast must make an appearance as many of the comments are regarding what a lousy job is done with him where he comes off sounding like he has an English accent. Rene Auberjonois is sorely missed.

ryanj07

I finished Sally Rooney's Normal People and I'm a little puzzled by the hype. I didn't hate it but it was just so depressing and the status quo pretty much remained the same throughout the story. I was just left at the end thinking, "what was the point of this?" Not sure if I want to spend the time watching the Hulu show now.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I just finished We Keep the Dead Close.

In 2009 (I think), Becky Cooper was a student at Harvard when a friend told her a story about a Harvard student who was having an affair with a professor; the professor murdered the student in a weirdly ritualistic way. Cooper thought it was an urban legend, but found out that it was true, or that many people believed it was true, and that the professor was still teaching at Harvard. She gradually became obsessed with the story and spent 10 years investigating the murder.

It's a true story. It's also a very complex book (running more than 800 pages if you count all the end notes); the mystery is detailed and complicated, with multiple suspects, red herrings, connections to other mysteries, and clues that lead somewhere and nowhere. But there is a lot more to the book--Cooper's life is woven into the story, as are discussions of sexism, academic politics, archeology and anthropology theories, racism, the stories we tell ourselves and why that storytelling is both necessary and dangerous, the power of institutions, and probably a lot of other things I've forgotten.

It's all right up my alley and I found it fascinating, but it's definitely not a book for everyone. Cooper has received a lot of critical acclaim, but I've noticed that reader reviews are not as glowing; a lot of readers don't like the blending of genres or find it hard to follow. The book does jump around in time a lot (in chapters that are Da Vinci Code short and punchy) but I didn't get lost at all. I also think a lot of people are probably disappointed when the mystery is solved, as the solution isn't anything one would expect after reading everything leading up to it. But that is one of Cooper's many points, I think.

Anyway, I liked it a lot. Best book I have read so far this year.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
This is film, not literature, but I just saw that French Exit, which I loved, has been made into a movie starring Michelle Pfeiffer, to be released next month. There is always that danger of an adaptation falling short of expectations, but I can't wait to see it!

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I finished Sally Rooney's Normal People and I'm a little puzzled by the hype. I didn't hate it but it was just so depressing and the status quo pretty much remained the same throughout the story. I was just left at the end thinking, "what was the point of this?" Not sure if I want to spend the time watching the Hulu show now.
I didn't care for it at all and was also puzzled by the hype. I felt the same about "Such a Fun Age" - it had so much buzz but I found it incredibly disappointing.

mjb52

Has anyone read A Place of Greater Safety? I am considering it, but with my poor focus right now, it could really take some time, so I went to see if people liked it first.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Our office book club read A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking, by Ursula Vernon (theme: books about food).

Mona is a 14-year-old wizard whose sole power is being able to control dough. Corrupt, power-hungry people are trying to stage a coup in her city and forcing all wizards to register with the government, and no one seems willing to stand up to them - except for Mona, her violent sourdough starter named Bob, and an enchanted gingerbread man.

This was a great YA fantasy novel - wacky and hilarious, but also serious when it needed to be. I think this is the first time in the 10-year history of our book club that everyone liked the book we choose. :lol:

I also read Requiem by Frances Itani.

Bin's family is Japanese-Canadian, and they were interned in British Columbia during WWII. The book alternates between Bin's childhood in the internment camp in the 1940s, and his adult life in the 1990s. This book was beautifully written, with music and art playing a big role in the imagery.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I recently read Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson. Trond is a retiree who has moved to rural Norway where he renovates his cabin and reflects back on a fateful summer in his youth in 1948. It's a slow burn with a lot of character study. This book reminded me a bit of A Man Called Ove, but more somber and serious. I read this book for a book from the "Are you Well Read in World Literature?" list ATY prompt and thought I'd post the list in case anyone here is interested in finding more books from around the world.

genevieve

Staff member
Currently reading The Cold Millions by Jess Walter. I have fond memories of his book Beautiful Ruins - although when I looked on goodreads, I only gave it 3 stars. I'm having a hard time focusing on reading right now, and the story jumps around a bit, but it's largely set in early 1900s Spokane, which is kind of fascinating to me as a WA State resident.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
@Prancer made me put a hold on We Hold the Dead Close and it just came due so I guess I will be reading it this weekend.

I also put holds on all the Julia Quinn books I still haven't read because at some point I stopped reading romance and then stopped reading books. There are only about 5 I haven't read so that's not too bad.

emason

@her grace That's a very interesting "Are You Well Read in World Literature" list; thanks for posting. I've only read about 30 of the books on the list, although there are another dozen or so that I started and didn't finish for one reason or another, and there are some authors I have read but not the particular books listed.

I read about 110 books in 2020 (50 or so were romance novels, but I had serious reads also). I spotted one of my top 5 from last year on the World Literature list: My Tender Matador by Pedro Lemebel. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it. Kirkus Review describes it as an odd-couple romance between a Marxist revolutionary and a drag queen.

genevieve

Staff member
Well shoot, I was looking at what books my library has on Peak Picks right now and considered that one but decided to go with another one. Should have checked this thread first!

OTOH, I got Angie Thomas's latest, Concrete Rose and am stoked to read it. Also picked up Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower, which I've never read.

I enjoyed The Cold Millions. It has a bit of a 'bootstraps' ending that's not exactly in keeping with today's environment, especially considering the parallels that can be drawn between the setting of the book and now, but it's a well-written book of historical fiction that blended real-life and created characters pretty well. Plus, I now want to learn more about the subject matter AND possibly read War and Peace.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I really liked Parable of the Sower until a certain event happened and it took me right out of the book. I only finished it because it was assigned for a class. Others in the class felt the same, and the professor was sort of stunned that it bothered so many of us.

The 18 year old narrator takes up with a significantly older man, and it kind of comes out of nowhere. I just found it icky.

I put in a spoiler, but it doesn't appear to be showing?

Ah, there it is...

Last edited:

puglover

I am about three quarters of the way through the audible version of the new Kristin Hannah novel ""The Four Winds". It is narrated by Julia Whelan - my personal favourite. The story takes place in the dust bowl/great depression of the early 1930's and goes on to describe in detail the pain and prejudice experienced by many during the westward migration. As with some of her previous novels, it focuses on women's struggles and bravery against the backdrop of history. One could certainly draw some unhappy parallels between several huge issues facing people of their day and our current situation. The farmers (in this case Texas) are very reluctant to see that their farming practices are ruining the land and they are contributing to their own tragedy. It will take radical changes to reverse the damage, something they fight with great passion. Also, individuals/families motivated by despair and hunger and a desire for a better life for their children leave their homes and seek the "land of milk and honey" only to realize they are not welcome and are treated horribly by those in power - including the government. Most of the reviews I had read before purchasing it described it as "sad, depressing" and I suppose we like our bitter with a bit more sugar than so far this story offers. I am curious about the ending.

mattiecat13

I just read The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, the prequel to The Hunger Games novels. It tells the background of the President of Panem, Coriolanus Snow. If you liked The Hunger Games, you will probably like this one.

genevieve

Staff member
I just read The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, the prequel to The Hunger Games novels. It tells the background of the President of Panem, Coriolanus Snow. If you liked The Hunger Games, you will probably like this one.
I saw that and considered it, but it's been so long since I read HG that all the details are lost. HG didn't inspire me to reread the same way that a certain other YA series did :shuffle:

mjb52

I really liked Parable of the Sower until a certain event happened and it took me right out of the book. I only finished it because it was assigned for a class. Others in the class felt the same, and the professor was sort of stunned that it bothered so many of us.

The 18 year old narrator takes up with a significantly older man, and it kind of comes out of nowhere. I just found it icky.

I put in a spoiler, but it doesn't appear to be showing?

Ah, there it is...

I had to quit Fledgeling because of a similar but waaaay worse issue. Kindred is incredible though.

Japanfan

I've got this from the library, but haven't been able to read this past month or so because of personal distress about something. It has to go back to the library - can't renew, because there is a long waiting list. I may just buy it.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Thanks to those who recommended some science fiction for me to read many months ago.

I read Leviathan Wakes by James A Corey - good, but didn't engage me enough to want to continue with the series.
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel - Do not read this book if C***d has scared the crap out of you, as it's about a pandemic involving a deadly flu which wipes out civilisation as we know it. I though it speculated successfully on that potential outcome but was unsatisfied with the ending, as it just seemed to wander off rather than come to a proper conclusion.

Whilst browsing for those I also came across A Long Way To a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers, and it was definitely the science fiction I sought - spaceships; character driven; a plot with a beginning, middle, and end; a small amount of romance that didn't take over the story. I have one of the sequels sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I spent the weekend reading A Cat's Tale by Baba the Cat and Dr. Paul Koudounaris, and I can't remember when I enjoyed a book more. Admittedly, the section on European torture of cats through the centuries was very upsetting (so you might want to skim), but the rest, which is a history of cats throughout history and geography, was really interesting and very involving, with lots of brave and noble cats with well documented lives (including occasional medals and tombstones).

Baba is perhaps not the most objective historian, but then again she's a cat. What she also is is a superb model, who posed for all the many photographs of cats in appropriate historical garb. There wasn't a single picture that didn't make me burst out laughing, and there aren't that many history books you can say that about.

mattiecat13

Just finished Dear Child by Romy Hausmann. It was a good book but it reminded me a lot of Still Missing by Chevy Stevens. Honestly, if you like that type of novel, I'd recommend Still Missing before Dear Child as it went more in depth regarding the survivor's experience.

Judy

At a suggestion of a friend I am reading Educated by Tara Westover. It is a fascinating and disturbing story.

Anyone else?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
"These Truths" by Jill LePore. The best history of the US I've ever read, incredibly readable and with attention to the stories that usually get left out. The theme is the "truths" of the Declaration of Independence and how they are refracted through actual history as well as what Americans think/thought of their government and democracy. Highly recommend.

emason

My co-op book club is reading These Truths, but doing it in sections with one section every three or four months. Over the last year we’ve read three of the four sections. I agree with PRlady - highly recommended.

canbelto

Well I'm currently reading my dad's book. MY dad self-published a book about how to card count. I know absolutely nothing about card-counting but I'm still reading it. AceMT is his system of counting only A's, Monkeys and 10's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information