NY Central Park Ice Rinks to Close on Sunday

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The Trump Organization is closing the Central Park NY ice rinks on Sunday after NYC has severed its contract.

Two ice skating rinks operated by the Trump Organization are set to close in Central Park at 4 p.m. on Sunday as the city severs its contract with the company. The decision to cut ties by the de Blasio administration came after the Capitol riot, CBS New York reports.

The leases to the Wollman Rink and the Lasker Rink will be terminated on February 26. The rinks are set to close Sunday to allow time for the Trump Organization to move out.

Families decried the move, with one skater pleading for more time. "So much has been taken away from us this year, and this was one thing that was kind of holding us all together," Mya Henning told CBS New York. "It's only, like, six weeks more that we're asking for."

Debbie S

SCNY is circulating a petition to keep it open...Ashley Cain and Christina Carreira shared it on IG. I can understand the city wanting to sever ties with Trump but in this case, lots of people will lose their jobs and kids will lose the opportunity for skating/exercise/social interaction.

ETA: OK, I just read the article. So the city plans to reopen (presumably not until next year, at this rate) with a new operator. I don't know how easy it's going to be to find one, esp in our current times. Agree that they should have at least waited until the end of the season. I hope another entity can be found.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

SCNY is circulating a petition to keep it open...Ashley Cain and Christina Carreira shared it on IG. I can understand the city wanting to sever ties with Trump but in this case, lots of people will lose their jobs and kids will lose the opportunity for skating/exercise/social interaction.
Sticking it to trump more important

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
You can’t have your skate and eat it too! If Trump is such an enemy to NYC, then the rinks must close. Maybe George Soros or other progressive billionaire could buy them and quickly reopen for the people? Imagine what a hero Soros would be! 😃

twizzletoes76

People in NYC love these rinks. There are minimal opportunities for year round indoor skating in Manhattan. Closing these rinks early doesn’t really hurt the Trump Organization, one month lost in skating rink revenues—is nothing to them. But it does hurt the skaters who go to these rinks for training, the coaches and staff who were anticipating one more month of seasonal work at these rinks, and the many, many New Yorkers who are just weekend skaters who might have had plans to visit sometime during the next few weeks. The Trump Organization did not cause the insurrection in The White House, Trump himself did and his followers. It is not the city’s place to try to punish Trump for what happened on January 6th—that was Congress responsibilities and they tried but could only do so much. Mayor de Blasio is in fact being petty by shutting the Central Park rinks down one month plus before they were supposed to have closed anyways.

VGThuy

You can’t have your skate and eat it too! If Trump is such an enemy to NYC, then the rinks must close. Maybe George Soros or other progressive billionaire could buy them and quickly reopen for the people? Imagine what a hero Soros would be! 😃
NYC was around before Trump and will be after Trump. It’s like when President Ford told NYC to “drop dead”. Who’s dead now?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
NYC was around before Trump and will be after Trump. It’s like when President Ford told NYC to “drop dead”. Who’s dead now?
I don't think anyone disputes that and I'm not sure Trump cares.

The fact is, this was a dumb move by diBlasio and I'm glad that there was an outcry against it and that the mayor realized it was stupid and punished far more regular citizens of NYC than it did the Trump Org. I mean, really, it's like a bunch of cancel culture dipshits couldn't see past their own Trump hatred to realize just how idiotic they were being. It is nice to see a few folks in this discussion acknowledging the stupidity of Mayor diBlasio and his administration instead of just digging in on their TDS-driven need to excise all things Trump from America.

Perky Shae Lynn

Not any more ridiculous than No. 45 trying to strip the US of everything Obama did. All that is happening is just a reflection of the seeds that that former guy sowed. In fact talking about No. 45 has gotten rather stale.
You don't see how profoundly dumb it is to close the rinks to "punish" Trump?

Carolla5501

People in NYC love these rinks. There are minimal opportunities for year round indoor skating in Manhattan. Closing these rinks early doesn’t really hurt the Trump Organization, one month lost in skating rink revenues—is nothing to them. But it does hurt the skaters who go to these rinks for training, the coaches and staff who were anticipating one more month of seasonal work at these rinks, and the many, many New Yorkers who are just weekend skaters who might have had plans to visit sometime during the next few weeks. The Trump Organization did not cause the insurrection in The White House, Trump himself did and his followers. It is not the city’s place to try to punish Trump for what happened on January 6th—that was Congress responsibilities and they tried but could only do so much. Mayor de Blasio is in fact being petty by shutting the Central Park rinks down one month plus before they were supposed to have closed anyways.
I realize you seem to be having difficulty with this but the Trump organization is owed by Trump LOL!

Why isn't it the city's place? Honestly if I lived in NY I would step FOOT on those rinks! Patronizing business owned by a madman only encourages the madman!

Sorry people but this "we should not make Trump pay for his actions" is part of the problem. History repeating itself. "as long as they don't come for me I am fine with whatever they do"

Karen-W

I realize you seem to be having difficulty with this but the Trump organization is owed by Trump LOL!

Why isn't it the city's place? Honestly if I lived in NY I would step FOOT on those rinks! Patronizing business owned by a madman only encourages the madman!

Sorry people but this "we should not make Trump pay for his actions" is part of the problem. History repeating itself. "as long as they don't come for me I am fine with whatever they do"
Are you for real? At some point the vicious cycle of retribution needs to end. Christ, if the Dems in this country are still too stupid after the last 5 years to recognize that this need to "punish" the other side or remove mechanisms (like Harry Reid's removal of the 60 vote required by the Senate to approve judicial appointments back during the Obama administration, which led to a lot of the things McConnell has done as Senate majority leader that people here love to rail against) that are designed to achieve some sort of middle ground of unity, then, by all means, keep on "holding accountable" any and all people who enabled Trump or the GOP. And when the pendulum swings back, which it inevitably will, please expect more of the kind in return and don't whine about it then.

The administration of NYC didn't have to sign a contract with the Trump organization to run the rinks in the first place, but it did. So perhaps you should be holding the Mayor and his administration just as accountable for "enabling Trump" as you seem to want to hold the employees of the Trump organization or anyone else who has openly supported the guy. There is plenty of blame to go around, but yes, let’s just put it all on Trump. Except, maybe the company actually made the best proposal to win the contract, so the city administration did what was in the best financial interests of the city. But, hey now that Trump is the worst pariah EVER, we must destroy him and anything/anyone associated with him, including breaking a contract that is set to expire in another 5 weeks. By all means, please, keep this cycle of madness and "accountability" up then.

bladesofgorey

Let's make every thread about "Cancel Culture" or other stupid boogyman/talking point. I love that and it's why I visit a figure skating site.

I am glad the city opted to keep the rinks open another month since the benefits to the people of NYC outweighed the negatives in this one case. That said anything with Trump's name attached to it is lethal right now. Just look at the stupid card-carrying Proud Boy that showed up for the "last" skate with a giant 20 foot Trump flag he weaved around skaters with, and who had to be tackled by rink guards when he got belligerent about being ordered off the ice with it. Just the best people.

kedrin

That said anything with Trump's name attached to it is lethal right now.
Even before recent events. They had to change the signage at Wollman because the Trump signs kept getting vandalized. The used to be plastered everywhere- now the signs read 'Wollman Rink - operated by the Trump Corporation'. I look forward to skating next year when I don't have to look at the name at all.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Soros is a great Hungarian-American philanthropist who donates to liberal causes. Most Hungarians of his age tend to be conservative but not he. He should be a hero to progressives for his independent spirit.

It looks like NYC reversed it’s decision & the rinks will stay open? If not - or if this continues to be a problem into the next skating season - I’m dead serious that Soros or someone like him with deep pockets and the will to help people might be able to step in. 😇

barbarafan

Are you for real? At some point the vicious cycle of retribution needs to end. Christ, if the Dems in this country are still too stupid after the last 5 years to recognize that this need to "punish" the other side or remove mechanisms (like Harry Reid's removal of the 60 vote required by the Senate to approve judicial appointments back during the Obama administration, which led to a lot of the things McConnell has done as Senate majority leader that people here love to rail against) that are designed to achieve some sort of middle ground of unity, then, by all means, keep on "holding accountable" any and all people who enabled Trump or the GOP. And when the pendulum swings back, which it inevitably will, please expect more of the kind in return and don't whine about it then.

The administration of NYC didn't have to sign a contract with the Trump organization to run the rinks in the first place, but it did. So perhaps you should be holding the Mayor and his administration just as accountable for "enabling Trump" as you seem to want to hold the employees of the Trump organization or anyone else who has openly supported the guy. There is plenty of blame to go around, but yes, let’s just put it all on Trump. Except, maybe the company actually made the best proposal to win the contract, so the city administration did what was in the best financial interests of the city. But, hey now that Trump is the worst pariah EVER, we must destroy him and anything/anyone associated with him, including breaking a contract that is set to expire in another 5 weeks. By all means, please, keep this cycle of madness and "accountability" up then.
WoW.....I finally know a real Karen.
Trump has not paid for amything he did yet...At least 350,000 deaths are at his door. I will be satisfied when Former Guy is in prison for the rest of his dispicable life.

Goodbye Karen

Karen-W

WoW.....I finally know a real Karen.
Trump has not paid for amything he did yet...At least 350,000 deaths are at his door. I will be satisfied when Former Guy is in prison for the rest of his dispicable life.

Goodbye Karen
LMAO. Please, you really need to look up the definition of a "Karen" if you think that response was in, any way, "Karen-esque". To be honest, your response was more "Karen-esque" than my comment - dissatisfied until you get the resolution you demand, because your perception is the only one that matters.

Japanfan

LMAO. Please, you really need to look up the definition of a "Karen" if you think that response was in, any way, "Karen-esque". To be honest, your response was more "Karen-esque" than my comment - dissatisfied until you get the resolution you demand, because your perception is the only one that matters.

May the Karen wars begin. :cheer2::watch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information