Canadian Championships to return to Ottawa - Jan. 6-13, 2022

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
They will be at TD Place again.

The Skate Canada announcement: https://skatecanada.ca/2021/02/ottawa-to-host-2022-canadian-tire-national-skating-championships/

The pre-eminent all-Canadian competition will begin with the senior event on Thursday, January 6, and the novice event will begin on Monday, January 10. Athletes vie for spots on the Skate Canada National Team and the Canadian teams that will compete at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, 2022 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, the 2022 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and the 2022 ISU World Figure Skating Championships.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I have to decide whether to use my Air Canada credits for SkCan or Canadians. My heart says Ottawa, but my head is probably booking for Vancouver.

aliceanne

I love that area! Great restaurants and shopping you can walk too.
I thought that was a great location too. There were about 20 places to eat in the plaza right outside the arena. Since Canadian Nats for the most part only has 20 minute Zamboni breaks, we would go out for an espresso or glass of wine and use the restroom facilities at the restaurant avoiding the lines at the arena. You could get back to your seat in half an hour.

Judy

Everything to like but weird timing. I need to keep an eye on US Natls. And Vancouver for Halloween is likely to be 30 degrees warmer. I’m getting soft in my old age.
Yes but their wind chill from the dampness is pretty much equal. my sister lived there for 5 years. Vancouver is gorgeous though.

Japanfan

Yes but their wind chill from the dampness is pretty much equal.

I wouldn't say so, having grown up in Northern Manitoba and then lived on the Prairies (Winnipeg) for quite a few years.

I remember days when it was so cold that skin froze on exposure to it. I remember wearing so many layers of clothes that I felt my skin never got any air.

There is a reason why so many Canadians move to Vancouver. However, some are really bothered by the gloom her in winter and prefer the cold and sunshine of elsewhere in the country.

It actually felt colder in Winnipeg than in the north, because of the wind.

Last edited:

Judy

I wouldn't say so, having grown up in Northern Manitoba and then lived on the Prairies (Winnipeg) for quite a few years.

I remember days when it was so cold that skin froze on exposure to it. I remember wearing so many layers of clothes that I felt my skin never got any air.

There is a reason why so many Canadians move to Vancouver. However, some are really bothered by the gloom her in winter and prefer the cold and sunshine of elsewhere in the country.

It actually felt colder in Winnipeg than in the north, because of the wind.
Ha yes I am more than sure you have experienced freezing in those provinces for sure.

Vancouver gets less snow .. or it’s supposed to but they get a ton of rain. So even for myself when it is that damp chill that gets in your bones 🥶🥶🥶.

Victoria I think has the better weather ... my niece lives there now. I can hardly wait to visit.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
My daughter lives in the Arctic with -65 cold. I visited her twice pre covid and aslong as dressed properly the cold doesnt get in your bones like England where I grew up or vancouver. I hate damp cold would rather have snow an cold dry temps.

kalamalka

Vancouver gets less snow .. or it’s supposed to but they get a ton of rain. So even for myself when it is that damp chill that gets in your bones 🥶🥶🥶.

Victoria I think has the better weather ... my niece lives there now. I can hardly wait to visit.

Not much different than here, though I have heard it does get more sunshine.

When I moved from Victoria to Vancouver I discovered that what I learned in elementary school was true -it really does rain twice as much in Vancouver. Amd often when (after moving back) I'd fly over for a work day, it would be cloudy in Victoria but raining in Vancouver. Ottawa in January is certainly colder than Vancouver any time (lived there too), but tolerable and more likely to have some sun. I'd love to go to Canadians in Ottawa again, but may end up watching the stream with Rosaleen as we've done the last few years.

manhn

As someone who runs and can now only run outside due to YKW, I have noticed how frequently it rains in Vancouver. But it is rarely a downpour, it dribbles where I can still run outside (even when things like gyms were a thing, there is a reason so few Vancouverites carry an umbrella) or there a significant breaks where I can sneak in a dry run.

Also, it’s not as cold in comparison to what i see how other runners post on social media, where their nose snot is frozen. My nose snot does not freeze.

Japanfan

I didn't have an umbrella during my 3 years in Vancouver, but I did have good rain gear.
I'm the same. I have an umbrella in the trunk of my car but never take it out. I rely on good raingear - I have an expensive waterproof coat, but prefer a coat given to me by a friend. It's also waterproof, but has a detachable fleece inside - hence I'm both warm and dry.

Last edited:

Judy

My daughter lives in the Arctic with -65 cold. I visited her twice pre ********* and aslong as dressed properly the cold doesnt get in your bones like England where I grew up or vancouver. I hate damp cold would rather have snow an cold dry temps.
I remember talking to a customer in the Yukon and talking about temps and he mentioned -65 or -75 so I told him I would never complain about Ottawa again. I asked him how they deal with it and he said you go to the pub and have a beer. 😂

skategal

Bunny mama
My former manager moved here to Halifax from Winnipeg and she used to say jokingly “Where can I find a down-filled raincoat? Because that’s what I need to live here.” :lol:

dramagrrl

Yes but their wind chill from the dampness is pretty much equal. my sister lived there for 5 years. Vancouver is gorgeous though.
When I went to Canadians in Vancouver in 2018, it lived up to reputation and rained torrentially (which also made it freezing outside) for all three days I was there. Vancouver doesn't have (or at least didn't have, then) Uber, and the rink was on UBC campus which is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so public transport in the rain was not fun.

That being said, the other two competitions I have attended in Van (2001 Worlds and 2010 Olympics) had beautiful weather. At some points during the Olympics, it was warm enough to walk around without a winter coat in the middle of February.

Judy

When I went to Canadians in Vancouver in 2018, it lived up to reputation and rained torrentially (which also made it freezing outside) for all three days I was there. Vancouver doesn't have (or at least didn't have, then) Uber, and the rink was on UBC campus which is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so public transport in the rain was not fun.

That being said, the other two competitions I have attended in Van (2001 Worlds and 2010 Olympics) had beautiful weather. At some points during the Olympics, it was warm enough to walk around without a winter coat in the middle of February.
Wasn’t there an issue ... I think Whistler and they were concerned about the lack of snow due to the weather?

dramagrrl

Wasn’t there an issue ... I think Whistler and they were concerned about the lack of snow due to the weather?
Yes - I think they had to bring in some artificial snow and they were even having trouble keeping that at the correct temperatures.

Judy

Yes - I think they had to bring in some artificial snow and they were even having trouble keeping that at the correct temperatures.
Yes! Prior to the Olympics my sister lived in Burnaby B.C. and on Canada Day we drove to Whistler. People were skiing down the hill in shorts etc lol and yes it was a beautiful warm day.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I remember talking to a customer in the Yukon and talking about temps and he mentioned -65 or -75 so I told him I would never complain about Ottawa again. I asked him how they deal with it and he said you go to the pub and have a beer. 😂
Our daughter always asks why she moved somewhere that hurts her face lol .. but then again she did a dance think outside for charity in her T-shirt as just a balmy -27 lol

Judy

Our daughter always asks why she moved somewhere that hurts her face lol .. but then again she did a dance think outside for charity in her T-shirt as just a balmy -27 lol
Lol. I agree with you that damp cold chills me in a very different way then just a normal coldness.

Sylvia

TBD
The 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships will take place at The Arena at TD Place from January 6 to 13, 2022.
Buy your tickets now before they go on sale to the general public for the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships. Pre-sale all-event tickets will go on sale Monday, December 6, 2021, at 10:00 AM EST, and will run until Wednesday, December 8, 2021, at 10:00 AM EST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information