From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

I truly hope beyond hope there won't be tragic consequences as a result.
Foreigners really should not worry about what's going on inside another country, IF there is no affect on them. Most countries have strict guidelines what tests/certificates and quarantine rules are to be followed to enter their country. If Russians don't pass these requirements, they will not get in, to your place or other places. But they are free to live how they want in their own territory.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Bigbird

SputnikV has finally been approved outside of Russia and is over 90 % effective. If here in the Caribbean through COVAX we should be receiving vaccines within this month, I am sure many in Russia will have access to and be taking the vaccine. It may not be as dramatic as it all looks.

However, seeing Sasha struggle with injury and Anna struggle as well through their respective long programmes it may have been better for all if they had the Jump Festival and the long only. Now that would be truly nail biting.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
SputnikV has finally been approved outside of Russia and is over 90 % effective. If here in the Caribbean through COVAX we should be receiving vaccines within this month, I am sure many in Russia will have access to and be taking the vaccine. It may not be as dramatic as it all looks.

However, seeing Sasha struggle with injury and Anna struggle with through their respective long programmes it may have been better for all if they had the Jump Festival and the long only. Now that would be truly nail biting.
My close relations and friends in Budapest have all received or are registered to get Sputnik V vaccine. (My dear late first husband was Hungarian. Interesting ties that bind in our lives...Hungary & Russia!)

Bonita

Congratulation to Russia for hosting the most enjoyable super spreader event I've ever seen, the skating was truly amazing, the dance teams really committed to their performances in a way I don't remember many of them doing as much before and all four pairs were great, it was a joy to watch Tarasova/Morozov continue their mostly consistent strike. Reports say there were about 7000 people in that arena, about 95% disregarded any and every C*VID safety regulation known to mankind and I truly hope beyond hope there won't be tragic consequences as a result.
I wear more COVID protection walking around my neighborhood outside.

Tinami Amori

zebraswan

Foreigners really should not worry about what's going on inside another country, IF there is no affect on them. Most countries have strict guidelines what tests/certificates and quarantine rules are to be followed to enter their country. If Russians don't pass these requirements, they will not get in, to your place or other places. But they are free to live how they want in their own place.

Most of us here are in the US which has been a disaster. My state is one of the worst of all, an absolute failure all around. I still don't want to see people unnecessarily exposing themselves and others in ANY country. Why should an active athlete risk their career and longterm health for something that could have been easily avoided. Suppose Mishin hadn't been so lucky and ended up on a ventilator or worse. Yes, I would care. I care about Evgenia still being sick, I care that other skaters have had lung and heart issues. It makes no difference to me what country they are from. We just haven't seen this kind of outrageous disregard for simple protocols at other skating competitions.

Tinami Amori

Most of us here are in the US which has been a disaster. My state is one of the worst of all, an absolute failure all around. I still don't want to see people unnecessarily exposing themselves and others in ANY country. Why should an active athlete risk their career and longterm health for something that could have been easily avoided. Suppose Mishin hadn't been so lucky and ended up on a ventilator or worse. Yes, I would care. I care about Evgenia still being sick, I care that other skaters have had lung and heart issues. It makes no difference to me what country they are from. We just haven't seen this kind of outrageous disregard for simple protocols at other skating competitions.
I understand that yours and others' concerns maybe genuine and out of well-wishes for the skaters/people. But! There is difference between wishing health and safety to them, and being condescending and lecturing about "how wrong they and what they should do".

Every citizen in every country has a right to protect him/herself from a spreading disease. If someone does not like "how Russians in the other country are handling it", that someone has options - don't go to Russia, and put pressure on your government to not let Russians in, or let them in with very strict scrutiny.

But one should not tell the Russians how they should live in THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

angi

I understand that yours and others' concerns maybe genuine and out of well-wishes for the skaters/people. But! There is difference between wishing health and safety to them, and being condescending and lecturing about "how wrong they and what they should do".

Every citizen in every country has a right to protect him/herself from a spreading disease. If someone does not like "how Russians in the other country are handling it", that someone has options - don't go to Russia, and put pressure on your government to not let Russians in, or let them in with very strict scrutiny.

I would much rather people "condescendingly" fight for the health and safety of others than fight for the right of others to risk their lives and the people around them who did not choose to be put at such risk just so that they won't be "told how to live".
This was a fantastic event that could have been just as fantastic if even the smallest safety measures were taken and yeah I'm going to point it out even if it's not my country because we are definitely allowed to comment on it, not to mention that it's a GLOBAL p*ndemic and what's happening in other countries affect us all (just for the record - when there's uncontrollable spread the probability for dangerous mutations is much higher and it's catastrophic for everyone). But this is not the C*VID thread so I'll leave it at that.

Tinami Amori

I would much rather people "condescendingly" fight for the health and safety of others than fight for the right of others to risk their lives and the people around them who did not choose to be put at such risk just so that they won't be "told how to live".
You don't have the legal nor moral right to butt into other country's affairs if they are not hurting you. And that's not only as far as Russia is concerned. One should not tell the neighbor how to live if the neighbor is not infringing on your safety/property/health/assets.

hanca

Values her privacy
This was a fantastic event that could have been just as fantastic if even the smallest safety measures were taken and yeah I'm going to point it out even if it's not my country because we are definitely allowed to comment on it, not to mention that it's a GLOBAL p*ndemic and what's happening in other countries affect us all (just for the record - when there's uncontrollable spread the probability for dangerous mutations is much higher and it's catastrophic for everyone). But this is not the C*VID thread so I'll leave it at that.
While I do appreciate your concerns, I am getting sick and tired of all this self-installed ‘police’ who feel their main calling is to point out everyone who does things wrong. Yes, you are right that you are allowed to comment on that, but this constant bitching is not going to change things anyway. The bottom line is that those Russians who don’t wear the masks don’t give a damn about what you think and it is getting a bit boring and monotonous to read constantly the same sh*t. Can’t you find some other purpose of life? Something, perhaps more useful?

(That’s not saying that I don’t agree with you, yes they should have worn the masks. But they didn’t. I can’t change it, neither can you. Move on.)

Bonita

I am conflicted. I believe the Russians' gymnastics-on-ice approach is ruining the sport I once adored,however I find the lockdowns and cardboard cutouts here in the US preposterous and disingenuous.

-BB
The cardboard cutouts were creepy but raised good money for USFSA, so that made me like them more. And some of the skaters were happy to see "family" in the stands.

Bigbird

I am conflicted. I believe the Russians' gymnastics-on-ice approach is ruining the sport I once adored,however I find the lockdowns and cardboard cutouts here in the US preposterous and disingenuous.

-BB
Funnily enough in the moment, I found the cut outs heart warming. Chin up, the only thing that is certain in sport is it's cycles. Today for Russia, tomorrow for.......

Marco

Ugh yeah you’re right, I had the very rule up and the next sentence says only one quad can be repeated out of the two repetitions.

That’s even more stupid and not only does the tacking on difficult jumps to the end of a combo/3jump not get any more credit versus someone who plays it safer, but someone with only 2 types of quads is extremely limited in several ways versus the person who has the 3rd quad.
3lutz3loop + 4toe2toe = 3lutz4toe + 2toe3loop in BV. Sigh.

For the 18 years since the ISU imposed IJS, they have failed to care about rewarding combinations / sequences for difficulty. The rules also fail to care about diversity (bonus for landing all six types of jumps / deductions for missing more than 1 type of jump takeoff etc)

BTW I am reading this late - may I know which rule we are talking about re: the bolded part? I am pretty sure both Nathan and Yuzuru repeated 2 types of quads at 2018 Games, for instance.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
3lutz3loop + 4toe2toe = 3lutz4toe + 2toe3loop in BV. Sigh.

For the 18 years since the ISU imposed IJS, they have failed to care about rewarding combinations / sequences for difficulty. The rules also fail to care about diversity (bonus for landing all six types of jumps / deductions for missing more than 1 type of jump takeoff etc)

BTW I am reading this late - may I know which rule we are talking about re: the bolded part? I am pretty sure both Nathan and Yuzuru repeated 2 types of quads at 2018 Games, for instance.

Page 18:

Of all triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be executed twice. Of the two repetitions only one (1) can be a quadruple jump.

Definitely had to have switched over in 18/19 season.

mtnskater

You don't have the legal nor moral right to butt into other country's affairs if they are not hurting you. And that's not only as far as Russia is concerned. One should not tell the neighbor how to live if the neighbor is not infringing on your safety/property/health/assets.
The problem is that when CoVid spreads in another country it is more likely to mutate and those mutations can develop to evade the vaccine and those mutations inevitably spread to other countries through travel. When it comes to a global pandemic what people do in other countries to stop the spread really can effect the rest of the globe.

parasolka

Especially when here in Russia we have the vaccination stations right in big molls, free for everybody who wants to get vaccinated. So one can naturally get a pair of jeans and get vaccinated at the same time.
Many people, like my family got vaccinated early in December, right after the wide country vaccination begun. Now we have ********* 19 immunity.
We do not have any lock-down here, live our ordinary life. So why we should behave our self like people in the countries that became epidemic centers? Russia is handling with c19 pandemic really well.

drfj

My close relations and friends in Budapest have all received or are registered to get Sputnik V vaccine. (My dear late first husband was Hungarian. Interesting ties that bind in our lives...Hungary & Russia!)
in Hungary they not use the Russian vaccination at the moment maybe in 3-4 weeks,yes

Ka3sha

Russian Cup Final dates are Feb, 27 - March, 2
Senior event will be on Feb, 27-28

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
But isn’t it skater’s A fault that he/she is doing harder combinations if it is not adequately rewarded? Skaters and their coaches know how the point system works, they also know what skills (jumps, spins etc) they have and it is up to them to find the best combination so that it is doable for them consistently but with as many points they can achieve. It is not only about skills, but also about strategy.

Similar way it works in many sports. Let’s say long distance running - the athlete is also unable to run at full speed from start to finish, so the athlete needs to know at what stage they should run at some slower speed (and they need to be not too slow otherwise they won’t be competitive, but not too fast otherwise they won’t last the whole race). At some stage they will speed up and they need to know when is the time to do so.

The same in many team sports, eg. footballand hockey- it is not only about the player skills but also about strategy?
Sure it is the skater's fault....but a better word is choice. Skater A and her team laid out the jumps and the difficulty. Their strategy was not as effective as Skater B...at that comp in front of those judges on that day.

Frau Muller

Russian Cup Final dates are Feb, 27 - March, 2
Senior event will be on Feb, 27-28
Thanks. Is this for those skaters whose Worlds spot hasn’t yet been secured? I mean, for example, is there any reason for skaters like Kolyada, Scherbakova, Step/Bukin and Tarasova/Morozov to participate (other than prize money)?
The individual Russia Cup events were ages ago, it seems...

Last edited:

Ka3sha

I guess there won’t be any prize money for this event. I guess it’s up to the skaters. For example, Kolyada may want to compete in order to try his more difficult content once again before Worlds..

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The biggest question will be is Kostornaia going to compete? If not, Tuk will get the 3rd worlds spot, which she deserves, IMHO. It would be a real shame if history repeated itself.

Frau Muller

Ok, thanks for answers. I was wondering what was the point. It seems to be mainly for Kostornaia’s benefit, if she competes. Otherwise, it’s for “extra practice” prior to Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information