ISU has cancelled 2021 Europeans, ISU Grand Prix Final, World Junior Synchro; Stockholm Worlds still on for now

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If Worlds do proceed, I’m sure there will be a plan in place to ensure everyone’s safety. We don’t need to know every single detail about that.

I think we do, especially how the ISU plans to manage the situation if someone tests positive while the event is going on.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think we do, especially how the ISU plans to manage the situation if someone tests positive while the event is going on.
Why? Solely because you're a hardcore fan of the sport yet still will not be attending either way? So people can come to FSU and rip the details apart and/or share how concerned they are for the skaters-- even though they are only posting here?

mjb52

Russian athletes followed the rules in Russia at the time - they may have been/appeared laxer than in other places but I'm not sure it is fair to expect them to have followed the rules that an Australian thinks Russian should have had instead. They were in Russia. There is no reason to think they will not be respectful of the rules in Sweden when they are in Sweden. Also we have already seen someone who was actually at Rostelecom say that some/much of the public perception of it is inaccurate and as a professional journalist, I take her opinion seriously. And the situation in Australia is unique so the issues with the Australian Open seem specific to the Australian Open. Is this event going to be in Australia? It is not.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Okay, I'll bite.. why do we need to know this? I mean I'd love to know it. But I don't think the ISU is required to tell me.

OTOH, I am sure they will publish this info on the website or send it to the participants at least one of which will publicize it. So we will know once people know. But we're fans and we're not invited so why does it matter if and when we know?

starrynight

Why is there such censure on this topic?

Don’t think I’ve ever experienced ‘be quiet and don’t question the ISU’ on here before.

This is the sport that had the Salt Lake City scandal and then proceeded to let the main player in that lead a federation for years and years.

mjb52

Probably because people suspect that some other people want to know so they can flip out online and raise public pressure to try to get the event cancelled regardless of what the safety precautions are - they will never be good enough. It's important for the public to play a role in holding organizations accountable but it is frustrating to see people who seem to take some weird pleasure in wanting events to be cancelled instead of trying to figure out how to hold them in a way that is safe for those who genuinely want to participate. So maybe it's a particularly sensitive issue.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Don’t think I’ve ever experienced ‘be quiet and don’t question the ISU’ on here before.

This is the sport that had the Salt Lake City scandal and then proceeded to let the main player in that lead a federation for years and years.
It’s not as much censure as your odd explanation of why you wanted it in the first place, which was just poking around your real point. I’m still wondering why you didn’t just say that and rather covered with the idea that skaters wouldn’t have confirmed they read it 😂 were you expecting fans to tell every last skater what they need to do if the document went public?

Some posts are making it sound like the ISU should be required to appease fans, who will then surely come to FSU and FSU only to talk about how concerned they are with all of it. I have no doubt that the ISU will inform every last person who actually needs to know. If they publish the protocol as a public document, which actually is probable, then great. But the posts that expect such and phrase it as if fans sitting at home deserve it, make zero sense IMO.

Last edited:

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
All the rules, schedules, prize money, penalties, food arrangements, flights, transfers, drug testing, hotel arrangements, meal payments etc for ISU events have always been written into a document and published on the ISU website.

I don’t see why the rules around forced withdrawals/quarantine should be a secret. It would be out of step with the way the ISU has always operated.
Is it a secret ? Or don't we hear anything about it for now simply because every important detail hasn't yet fallen into place ? Several of us here on FSU are directly concerned by all this as we will attend Worlds (if they are held) for work purpose. We know nothing and we are waiting as we can simply do nothing else. This is C0vid era. Nothing is simple, nothing is guaranteed. I don't think I speak only for myself if I say I have a ton of practical hence legitimate questions. Will we have to be vaccined to fly to Sweden? (I will be at the time since my 1st shot is scheduled next week) How many times will we have to be tested and when, or will a certificate proving we've had our shots be enough? Will we have to all stay at the hotel adjacent to Globen? (unlike "normal" years where we are given several choices, and can also arrange accommodation privately) Does this mean my co-workers and I have to cancel the accommodation we have booked last summer? I'm not happy thinking of the cost of airfares, when it was VERY cheap not so long ago. The more we wait, the more expensive it will get. The official hotel where a bubble will probably be settled is also 5 times more expensive than the Airbnb we booked. Will my boss be able to afford the extra costs? If not, how much will it cost me and will I still make money on the job? How many accreditations will we be granted? Same as usual or less? How will we work? What kind of organization will we have? We are 9 weeks away from eventual Worlds. When will we know? These are things we usually know months in advance.

BUT: who can tell what the C0vid situation will be in my country and in Sweden and in all Europe and in the rest of the world in 9 weeks? In France, the health administration is starting to talk about a probable 3rd wave (due to the new variants) hitting us full blast in March. Will we still be allowed to cross the borders? I live in a remote corner of the country tucked between Italy and Switzerland. The closest airport is Geneva. Last year in March, the border was closed. Since that, it has opened and reclosed so many times, it looks like revolving doors. When I'm away from home I have to find someone to take care of my mother and my pets (preferably in that order :lol:) The people concerned need to know way ahead if I finally go or don't. They also have work imperatives, some being as unpredictable as mine. Despite all these questions (and a lot of others), I'm actually not someone who stresses a lot, I tend to go with the flow, carpe diem, que sera sera, qui vivra verra. I'm not sweating bullets, I'll manage, there is no problem without a solution. But not anyone is as careless as I am or has the luxury to plan things at the last minute. BTW, the fact I can doesn't mean I like it. But these days, there is no choice.

That's why you insisting on knowing what even involved people don't know yet is a bit WTF, sorry ;) I'm not saying this in a derogatory manner or anything, I just don't get it. The organization of ISU competitions have always been made public in due time. If it's not yet the case for Worlds in Stockholm, it's simply because it has not been fully settled, not because it has to be kept secret. We don't even know if Worlds will actually happen!

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That's why you insisting on knowing what even involved people don't know yet is a bit WTF, sorry ;) I'm not saying this in a derogatory manner or anything, I just don't get it.
Also, the ISU is going to meet in 8 days and make a decision on Worlds then. Why would we expect to know anything until that meeting? They can't announce what they haven't decided!

Carolla5501

And A and B are not related. LOL!

No one is telling you to be quiet. What we are telling you is that in spite of your view that unless you know (and I assume approve) the protocols the event can't go on, it can LOL! And that the only people that have to know in this instance are those effected. There is no requirement that the public hear and approve

By the way, I am pretty sure under GDPR that if skater X tests positive and as a result other skaters have to leave the event, if the ISU told you they would face legal liability unless everyone involved gave them permission. You will note that none of the announcements about skaters not competing due to covid exposure or tests at US Nationals came from US figure skating and in watching a replay of pairs it certainly wasn't mentioned that 3 teams were missing due to this. These protocols are related to an individuals health and therefore are under a different standard than the judging in SLC.

skatingguy

decently
The Biden administration has announced that they will introduce a quarantine for travelers entering the US. No details, or timeline, at this point, and it looks like it could a little while before this is introduced. It's not clear what impact this might have on US athletes participating in international events like the World Championships.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
The Biden administration has announced that they will introduce a quarantine for travelers entering the US. No details, or timeline, at this point, and it looks like it could a little while before this is introduced. It's not clear what impact this might have on US athletes participating in international events like the World Championships.
It would likely mean they need to quarantine upon return to the US, which... season end and they're probably taking a couple weeks off anyway, so no big deal.

skatingguy

decently
Is that for Americans or just travelers from other countries?
If it's just travelers from other countries it won't mean much, but it's not clear yet either way. The administration has asked for feedback over the next two weeks to come up with a policy. The US government is now going through the process that most other countries went through 10-12 months ago, so it's going to take some time to get details.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

I had really hoped our current government might be a little smarter,

after all I can go to Disney World right now hang out with 5000 kids who might have Covid and no testing or quarantine But if you go to Europe where they are doing a better job in handling Covid than Florida you have to have a test and quarantine. Yeah this makes sense to someone but I’m not sure who

This would’ve worked 10 to 12 months ago. It’s not going to do anything now. But at least it was after Nationals so the skaters who train in Canada didn’t have to quarantine without training for 10 days before they could compete at nationals.

Seerek

The timing is interesting, international athletes arriving from overseas to Colorado for the Winter X Games next week won't be able to compete.

Dobre

This would’ve worked 10 to 12 months ago. It’s not going to do anything now.
It's still relevant, especially because there are new variants in South Africa, Brazil, etc.

Particularly regarding the one in South Africa, I think countries should do everything they can to stop it. As it sounds like the vaccine may not protect people from it.

Also an article I read today said that one in Brazil appears to be easy for people to catch, despite their having already had the disease once before. And some variants seem to be easier for kids to get, which would not be good for efforts to reopen or keep school buildings open.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

The latest news suggests that Japan has decided to cancel the Summer Olympics, which is obviously a big blow for international sporting competitions this year.

EDIT: The IOC denies this, but this is definitely a situation where they would do that at this point. We’ll see.

Last edited:

manhn

I had really hoped our current government might be a little smarter,

after all I can go to Disney World right now hang out with 5000 kids who might have ********* and no testing or quarantine But if you go to Europe where they are doing a better job in handling ********* than Florida you have to have a test and quarantine. Yeah this makes sense to someone but I’m not sure who

This would’ve worked 10 to 12 months ago. It’s not going to do anything now. But at least it was after Nationals so the skaters who train in Canada didn’t have to quarantine without training for 10 days before they could compete at nationals.

Citizens have a right for move around their own countries that non-citizens don’t have. Yes, our Atlantic provinces have similar quarantine rules in case I as a British Columbians travelled to New Brunswick. But I suspect that that it is a Charter challenge.

Besides, it would be up to a state to make those rules, not the feds, no?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Also it's not accurate that you are "hanging out" with 5000 other people just like you aren't "hanging out" with all the other people in the grocery store including some you won't even get within 100 ft of let alone 6 ft.

Sabine-Yuna

The latest news suggests that Japan has decided to cancel the Summer Olympics, which is obviously a big blow for international sporting competitions this year.

EDIT: The IOC denies this, but this is definitely a situation where they would do that at this point. We’ll see.
Where do you get that information from? Japanese officials and the IOC say the Games will take place. It's the Japanese people that say they want the games postponed or cancelled. But they are not deciding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information