Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafOnTheWind

I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and was trying to figure out what to get. I ended up getting Lars and the Real Girl. It's one I watch when it streams free so I figured I would finally get around to buying it. I love his brother and SIL's faces when they first meet his new girlfriend. :lol:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I wasn't too into it for the first couple of episodes either but at some point (3 or 4?) I was hooked.
Queen's Gambit: Took me until episode four but even then I wouldn't say I was hooked, just more interested. I do struggle with shows where the main character isn't likeable - the storyline has to be really strong (Sharp Objects would be a good example). Anyway, I finished it today. It was fine but not sure the hype was warranted.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Queen's Gambit: Took me until episode four but even then I wouldn't say I was hooked, just more interested. I do struggle with shows where the main character isn't likeable - the storyline has to be really strong (Sharp Objects would be a good example). Anyway, I finished it today. It was fine but not sure the hype was warranted.
It’s on my list to watch, my husband really enjoyed it.

AJ Skatefan

I really liked it. About a flawed person yes, but an interesting one!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I really liked it. About a flawed person yes, but an interesting one!
Everyone is flawed. The question is do they grow? Flawed people who don't ever change or learn from their mistakes annoy the heck out of me. But watching someone flawed but likable who does learn and grow is fascinating.

Yehudi

AITA
Watching Lupin on Netflix. It’s not an adaptation of the anime or the books, although the books play a major role. It’s a typical big heist story, but instead of relying just his good looks, intelligence, and charm, the character uses people’s racism and general indifference to the lower classes to his advantage.

starrynight

Started watching Bridgerton. Thought it would be like 'The Great' but it's not. Rather, Bridgerton is like if a Mills and Boon historical romance was screened with a massive budget and impeccable set design and costuming. It's so cheesy but it's incredibly good. Some of the romantic tropes are laugh out loud cliched, but that I think is the point. So if you like a romance novel, this tv series is made for you.

vgerdes

Started watching Bridgerton. Thought it would be like 'The Great' but it's not. Rather, Bridgerton is like if a Mills and Boon historical romance was screened with a massive budget and impeccable set design and costuming. It's so cheesy but it's incredibly good. Some of the romantic tropes are laugh out loud cliched, but that I think is the point. So if you like a romance novel, this tv series is made for you.

It's straight up, old-fashioned romance, with lush costuming and set design, and strong performances. Just the kind of diversion I needed to get through the awfulness of this week's hellish drama in Washington D.C.

Last edited:

LeafOnTheWind

I watched The Grand Son on Amazon Prime. I am not sure why my Roku wouldn't find the title. I had to search by the actor Rhys Wakefield to find it. He plays a spoiled Hollywood brat that maybe/maybe not accidentally kills former Hollywood star grandma. The big question is whether he can get away with murder or not.

I heard it was filmed in 14 days. So it's not great but not a bad way to spend your time if you are looking for a dark crime film.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Finally finished 4 seasons of The Crown. This is the problem of joining a show late while it's still in production - I got to take my time getting caught up and now I'm annoyed to have to wait for S5. Also not ready for another cast change - S3 and S4 covered so many years that I felt like I barely got to know this cast, aside from Prince Charles (whose actor was way too youthful looking for S4).

I generally avoid anything Amazon, but people (some of whom know better) keep giving me gift cards, so I'd like to see Sound of Metal.

Japanfan

Finally finished 4 seasons of The Crown. This is the problem of joining a show late while it's still in production - I got to take my time getting caught up and now I'm annoyed to have to wait for S5. Also not ready for another cast change - S3 and S4 covered so many years that I felt like I barely got to know this cast, aside from Prince Charles (whose actor was way too youthful looking for S4).

I'm going to wait just for Season 3, which is on order at my local library (don't want to buy it). I'm guessing it might mean a six month wait, but hope I'm wrong. I'm quite far down the hold list, also.

I'll see how I feel about the cast changes, but expect it will be as much as you do.

elka_sk8

Which is why I got sucked into her story! :D
Same! I really enjoyed it.

Binging The Good Place now (streaming on Netflix but it’s an NBC show). Perfect anecdote for all the real life crappiness in the world right now. It’s only 4 seasons and I’ll be sad to see it end (but also glad they didn’t try to string it out further).

VGThuy

I watched Let Them All Talk dir. by Steven Soderbergh starring Meryl Streep, Candace Bergen, and Diane Wiest with Lucas Hedges and Gemma Chan. I wish it was better than it was. I still don't really know what the point of it was. Apparently, most of the dialogue was improvised, but I think it would have been better with an actual script. I do think Gemma Chan did a wonderful job in her scenes though.

Last edited:

smurfy

I just binged 'Bridgeton'. What fun. Love the costumes, gorgeous! And the Queen's wigs were a show unto themselves.
I had some personal crap going on and this show just pulled me out of my funk.

annie720

I watched Let Them All Talk dir. by Steven Soderbergh starring Meryl Streep, Candace Bergen, and Diane Wiest with Lucas Hedges and Gemma Chan. I wish it was better than it was. I still don't really know what the point of it was. Apparently, most of the dialogue was improved, but I think it would have been better with an actual script. I do think Gemma Chan did a wonderful job in her scenes though.
Completely agree! I was disappointed but felt like Candace was somewhat interesting.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Have been watching Bridgerton. Really enjoying it. Great costumes and characters.

Someone on Tiktok did a video where they were a character in the show as Simon's "seed" cleaner. She was walking every where cleaning up after him.

My mum who was saying she didn't need Netflix is now using my account (I set up a profile for her) and watching the Queen's Gambit on my recommendation. Last message she sent she said it was very good.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Really enjoyed the first two seasons of Star Trek: Discovery, and then was bored rigid by the first episode of season 3. As it was a bit of a set up episode hopefully it gets better again.

One day I might finish Spinning Out. I keep giving up on it because it's so predictable but I only have two eps to go, so really should finish.

Seerek

If you like good foreign dramas- “The Bureau”. It is about the workings of the French Intelligence agency. 5 brilliant seasons. Think “Homeland” but better; less in-your-face dramatic (though still dramatic at times), suspenseful and clever.
If you're okay with slow/contemplative, Rectify is beautiful.

Thank you! Yes, Rectify and The Bureau popped up often among people's favourites in my initial research (others said Deutschland 86/89, Riviera and The Restaurant).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I finally got all the way through Damages last week after watching the first two seasons probably 5 times each, kinda stumbling through the third season twice, and then switching over to something else rather than watching seasons 4 and 5. Happy I did. Fantastic ending. And the first season really is one of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information