From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
You are kidding....righ? Equal
Application whether listed or not.
Another example? Dr. Birx mentioned months ago. That she has not been able to see her grandchild yet months.

People have to work and parents must ensure their children's safety. My daughter and her husband both have to work. They had to adjust spending... scheduled activities, gifts. And all things optional. They and 4 families created a quaranTEAM. This group stays safe. This group pools resources,. Follow guidelines. Provide child care for one another. Drive by holidays. Grocery shopping.

This group has found some dang creative ways of dealing with the shutdown.
You are kidding... right?

I know a lot of FSU likes to speak about how they are well-off and/or don't need stimulus or unemployment money, but for many people (ESPECIALLY families), a weekly minimal payment from the government is not enough. In other countries, I'm sure people are suffering like they are here regardless of government funding.

So, would you rather these people not work at all and then not have money to survive?

Have you gotten groceries in the last 9 months, either by going to the store or by having them delivered? Guess what? Plenty of people are making that happen and haven't stopped since the shutdowns started.

Also consider that many families now have to deal with the added factor of their children being remotely schooled, which means someone has to be home with them all day rather than sending them off to school. If people are still working to make ends meet, that's another expense.

If they can make a living and stay reasonably safe, there's no reason to go after figure skating coaches but let the 'essential' grocery and retail and fast food workers carry on every single day.

Sylvia

TBD
For anyone wondering what happened to the 2020 Junior World ice dance bronze medalists Elizaveta SHANAEVA / Devid NARYZHNYY who withdrew from the 5th Russian Cup after placing 2nd in the Junior RD (67.15) behind eventual winners Ushakova/Nekrasov:
“Just before the start, David developed symptoms of [food, I assume?] poisoning. Taking into account the fact that he suffered the coronavirus, we did not risk it and removed the guys from the tournament. Thank God, everything is fine now, he recovered. But you have to understand that the couple missed a lot and not quite ready at the moment. But they will come up to the Russian championship [February in Krasnoyarsk] in good shape," [Irina] Zhuk said by phone.

Tinami Amori

Ka3sha

Tinami Amori

Did we talk about Medvedeva's video game thing yet? I think that's quite cool.
Yes, and people posted visuals. This is great! TeamTutberidze gets 30% of the contract, they certainly deserved it after all they have been put through by media and fans after Medvedeva's departure in 2018.

concorde

That’s where Grandma-Babushka can play a big role! 👵 Most of my colleagues with kids who have to work outside the house (greater Washington, DC) are leaving the kids with Grandparents...long-term temporary solution. (For ex, my next-door neighbors in Arlington, VA, sent their children to grandparents in WVa until the YKW is over.) Creating a safety pod within an extended family can be done.

I know of same thing in the Russian side of my family - the kids of the physician (my sis-in-law) are living with one of the Babushkas many km away. Sacrifices for safety. The YKW isn’t going to last forever...and Babushka is soooo happy. Imagine.
Frau Miller - you must be from a parallel universe from me. What you describe as commonplace I have not seen or heard of happening.

I lived in McLean, VA for 25 years and moved away from the area 18 months ago. I have currently have kids in high and middle school. My kids and I regularly correspond with friends back in Virginia (Tysons area) and no one we know has sent kids to live with their grandparents. Many (kids +parents) have gone to stay at various family members' second homes but that is different from what you have described.

Note: I have worked outside the home since graduating from college and still do; parents working outside the home is true of most of my friends back on Virginia. My brother currently lives in Annadale, VA - he and his wife are currently taking care of their 2 elementary aged kids; neither child was not shipped to the grandparents for the duration of the pandemic.

When we still lived in Virginia, we knew several Russian families that sent their wee ones (less than 1 year of age) to their grandparents homes for an extended stay. That was that Pre-YKW.

Tinami Amori

Russia has "special kind of CVD and penumonias"...;), skaters get sick for about a week and then return right back to the ice and start training. With a CVD becoming like that who needs to worry...... :D

Elizaveta Tukhtamusheva - back in training, getting ready for Nationals.

Aliona Kostornaya - back in training, getting ready for Nationals.

Gulyakova & Kolyada are on the ice training. The whole Mishin Team is in Novogosk training camp, getting ready for Nationals.

Japanfan

Seriously? Women have careers and children all the time all over the world. Gosh who would have thought?! A mother going to work. Fancy that! Plus a wedding is planned, happens, and then it's done. It's not like that's going to fill up the rest of her life either. :rolleyes:

This.

The truth is that most women in the world work, especially poor women. I heard some time ago that women produce 80% of the world's food. Aristocratic women who didn't work are a historical anomaly and the recent role of the housewife was by no means a world-wide phenomenon.

Part of the reason for this is the view that males are superior. I remember visiting a remote mountain village in the Philippines some years ago. The women did everything - cooked the yams and bore/raised the kids and worked the fields. They would head out in the morning with their bellies wrapped in tight cloth - presumably to keep strong. Meanwhile the men just hung around the village. They did take care of the kids whilst the women were away, but that would have easier than working the fields.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
This.

The truth is that most women in the world work, especially poor women. I heard some time ago that women produce 80% of the world's food. Aristocratic women who didn't work are a historical anomaly and the recent role of the housewife was by no means a world-wide phenomenon.

Part of the reason for this is the view that males are superior. I remember visiting a remote mountain village in the Philippines some years ago. The women did everything - cooked the yams and bore/raised the kids and worked the fields. They would head out in the morning with their bellies wrapped in tight cloth - presumably to keep strong. Meanwhile the men just hung around the village. They did take care of the kids whilst the women were away, but that would have easier than working the fields.
Yep. And in Russia/the Soviet Union, women are/were working all the time.
My mom and her sister mostly grew up with their grandparents because both of their parents were headmasters and working full-time. They barely got to see their own parents until they retired, apart from weekends, the summer holidays and New Year's. That was and still sometimes is common practice in Mother Russia.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Anybody check out how the kids who are raised in a no parent household are doing?

Not so well in the values dept. Shootings
Suicides..alcohol..drugs..depression...suicide?

I would vote for grandmother's house over parents with exciting careers..expensive homes and all that money can buy over babysitters, extended.day care and latch keys.

Why do you have the kids if you are not going to be with them?

Ok...pile on.

Japanfan

Anybody check out how the kids who are raised in a no parent household are doing?

Not sure what a 'no parent' household means - a household in which parents give other adults the primary responsibility of raising their children? As opposed to two parent households where one parent, usually the woman, is usually home.

There is plenty of good to come when a child is raised largely in a community setting. For example, I've heard the term 'other mothers' used to refer to child-rearing among Blacks in the US. As so many poor Black women have to work, other community members who are retired or not working contribute to raising children.

OTOH, plenty of kids who grew up in two parent households have had mental health problems and used alcohol and drugs. Some housewives were really unhappy in the Post WWII era - author Betty Friedan said they had 'the problem with no name', and valium as liberally prescribed to them at the time. My own mom was one such - she had attended university for several years and worked for censorship in the war. She wasn't thrilled to be a housewife in a small town for many years to come after the war. She did participate in my dad's business, which she bought with her savings from working in censorship, but while she was an equal partner on paper, that was not the case in practice.

Please clarify your point and provide some evidence for it.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

I would vote for grandmother's house over parents with exciting careers..expensive homes and all that money can buy over babysitters, extended.day care and latch keys.

Ok...pile on.
This is the 21st century. (Both) parents have had careers for a long time, babysitters have been a thing for a long time, a single parent raising their child(ren) has been a thing for a long time.

You are making a wild generalization. Sometimes kids can be raised perfectly 'correct' by whatever standards you have in mind, and guess what? They still may end up having issues.

Pile on some more BS.

Sylvia

TBD
Sofia Samodelkina: "By nature I am an optimist" (Dec. 12) - interview by Olga Ermolina & Tatjana Flade:
Translation of the introduction:

Sofia Samodelkina, a [junior level] student of Sergei Davydov, won the fifth stage of the Russian Cup in Moscow, skating programs with 3 axels and 4 salchow.

A few days after the victorious start, Sophia performed at the Moscow Championship, where for the first time in the competition she performed a long program with two quads - a rittberger [loop] and a salchow. The first attempt to skate a program with complex content was not crowned with success, nevertheless, the skater won the second start in a row.

After the fifth Moscow stage of the Russian Cup, in an interview with the FFKKR website, Sofia Samodelkina spoke about the preparations for the season, explained why she missed the fourth stage of the country, revealed the secret of what new elements she wants to learn and what motto she is guided by in life.

4Lo into 4S (arms up in both jumps) in practice: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIoLPATq8LQ/ (eta that this clip was originally posted by @Tinami Amori in this thread last Thursday - thanks!)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I looked but didn't see this Kamila Valieva interview by Ermolina/Flade (Dec. 7) posted in this thread:
After the performance [winning fifth stage of the Russian Cup in Moscow], Kamila told how the work on the triple axel was going on, why she and the coaches decided to change the costume for the free skate, how she took the news about the cancellation of the junior world championship and where she was going to celebrate the New Year.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Frau Miller - you must be from a parallel universe from me. What you describe as commonplace I have not seen or heard of happening.

I lived in McLean, VA for 25 years and moved away from the area 18 months ago. I have currently have kids in high and middle school. My kids and I regularly correspond with friends back in Virginia (Tysons area) and no one we know has sent kids to live with their grandparents. Many (kids +parents) have gone to stay at various family members' second homes but that is different from what you have described.

Note: I have worked outside the home since graduating from college and still do; parents working outside the home is true of most of my friends back on Virginia. My brother currently lives in Annadale, VA - he and his wife are currently taking care of their 2 elementary aged kids; neither child was not shipped to the grandparents for the duration of the *********.

When we still lived in Virginia, we knew several Russian families that sent their wee ones (less than 1 year of age) to their grandparents homes for an extended stay. That was that Pre-YKW.
Tell that to my next door neighbors in our condo building in Arlington! The two boys (5&6) are with maternal grandparents in Huntington, WV!

MANY families of medical professionals are living separately from spouse & kids. Watch the TV news here in the DC area. An RN lives in a trailer in the front yard of her house, to keep husband and kids separate from her, since she works in the ER. Not all people have mobile homes & front yards in which to park them!

Of course, many of these arrangements dovetail with old-fashioned family values...love of extended families, etc. Not all “sophisticates” get it!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Maya Khromukh is starting to land 4T-3T in practice.
Good for her!!!! Her first attempt at her last competition was unfortunate and not even close, so it's nice to see this. I personally would prefer to see a Rippon4sal-eu-Rippon3sal combination, wouldn't that look amazing? Hopefully she's still working on her 4sal.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Or maybe someone can start a thread in OTBT (or PI) on this topic instead so we can get back to Russian skating news? :shuffle:

P.S. I know it's no use but I just felt like posting this anyway. ;)

Not sure what a 'no parent' household means - a household in which parents give other adults the primary responsibility of raising their children? As opposed to two parent households where one parent, usually the woman, is usually home.

There is plenty of good to come when a child is raised largely in a community setting. For example, I've heard the term 'other mothers' used to refer to child-rearing among Blacks in the US. As so many poor Black women have to work, other community members who are retired or not working contribute to raising children.

OTOH, plenty of kids who grew up in two parent households have had mental health problems and used alcohol and drugs. Some housewives were really unhappy in the Post WWII era - author Betty Friedan said they had 'the problem with no name', and valium as liberally prescribed to them at the time. My own mom was one such - she had attended university for several years and worked for censorship in the war. She wasn't thrilled to be a housewife in a small town for many years to come after the war. She did participate in my dad's business, which she bought with her savings from working in censorship, but while she was an equal partner on paper, that was not the case in practice.

Please clarify your point and provide some evidence for it.

Thank you for your response. I really appreciated the tone. No parent household (made that term up) is one where the parents are gone all day, and the kids spend their time with the babysitter or at daycare.

I am well aware that having a parent at home is not possible or not healthy. I had two alcoholic parents. My mom did not work........no she spent her time drinking, napping, waking up, and then beating the nearest kid (as I am the oldest, it was usually me) So we can skip outliers.

CNN Study
Since 2009, at least 177 of America’s schools experienced a shooting. These tragedies are as diverse as our nation, but the depth of trauma is hard to convey. There is no standard definition for what qualifies as a school shooting in the US. Nor is there a universally accepted database. So CNN built our own. We examined 10 years of shootings on K-12 campuses and found two sobering truths: School shootings are increasing, and no type of community is spared.
WOW Parenting

Disadvantages/cons of both parents working on the child:

• To begin with, in a family where both parents are working and not able to spend quality time, their children are often lacking necessary support and supervision.
  • Over time, it will make them demoralized, and have serious effects on their academic performance.
  • Without parent’s supervision, children will also be very likely to take on bad habits due to peer pressure such as addiction to games like PUBG, smoking, or even taking drugs.
  • There is an alarming issue that less and less close conversation has been made between children and the other family members, many children feel lonely even at their own home.

From Harvard Business Review - how our careers affect our children.

All these aspects of parents’ careers, we found, correlate with the degree to which children display behavior problems, which are key indicators of their mental health. We measured them with the Child Behavior Checklist, a standard in the child development research literature that has not been used in other research in organizational psychology.

And lastly, if you could choose what kind of family you were going to be born in, wouldn't you chose a home with a parent at home.....at least until you start school.
Three is plenty of time for building careers when the kids start school.

And, as an aside, I raised 5 kids. I discovered that I learned more about their lives, school, problems when sitting by myself at the kitchen table or in the car.
They will communicate if someone is there.

Oh and don't trust anyone with a 1 in front of their age.

And most likely the answer to all of societies is more Figure Skating

And the cure for all that ails us MORE FIGURES SKATING! on TV at times that are not insane. :)

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Thank you for your response. I really appreciated the tone. No parent household (made that term up) is one where the parents are gone all day, and the kids spend their time with the babysitter or at daycare.

I am well aware that having a parent at home is not possible or not healthy. I had two alcoholic parents. My mom did not work........no she spent her time drinking, napping, waking up, and then beating the nearest kid (as I am the oldest, it was usually me) So we can skip outliers.
I appreciate your candor. I've been wary of your posts, but it makes more sense now. I was talking to a friend last week and what was funny was we actually talked about this very issue. My Mom had the career, my Dad 'stayed home' and was supposed to be a house-husband, raise the kids, etc. Well, all he did was sleep all the damn day, was irritable to everyone to the point I was afraid to bring kids home. He was an extremely abusive person, physically/verbally/emotionally. He never had a drop of alcohol, because his father was a hopeless alcoholic. So, I hear you, but aren't you at least GLAD that you can maybe justify your parents' behavior due to alcoholism? What do I have? I had a sober father who was just an abusive prick. The grass is always greener I suppose. I'd rather that my father was an alcoholic so that I could understand him and not have sometimes the animosity I feel.

Anyway, it's throwing this thread way off topic, but I just wanted to say that I am glad you posted that. I don't agree with much/most you post, but it helps to understand your posts. In a very positive way, I mean, most people aren't total assholes, just bother to look under the surface and you'll maybe develop an understanding. Thanks.

Japanfan

Ok...pile on.

In many parts of the world, women have babies because they have no access to birth control and it their husbands' right to have sex with them as needed.

Again, in many parts of the world, having a son is insurance because the son's wife will take care of his parents in their old age.

And it's also just a 'normal' thing to do. People like the idea of passing their genes on, especially to a boy (hence to many girl babies aborted or killed in countries like India and China).

Also, traditionally upper class women did not take care of their kids. They had wet nurses and nannies.

Poor women also did not take care of their children, because they had to work in fields or factories. Their children were taken care of by women in the community who didn't have to work - grandmothers or women in the community. In American Black culture the word for this is 'othermothers'.

The notion of the stay at home housewife/mother is a recent phenomenon, not a broad one, and no longer really relevant - most women in the developed world (among the few to have the option of staying at home) are now working.

Bigbird

Yes me too, any news, Aliev?
Yeah. Any news about Sinitsina and Katsalapov, will they competing? Will they be using international judges across all disciplines? Will it be the usual homestyle cooking? And most importantly will there be a banquet at Russian Nationals? Because enquiring minds need to know......

EDIT:

Will Russia really be banned for the next four years? Will they get the concession that the got last time, as in being able to compete but not using their colours or hearing their anthem?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Any word on Trusova’s progress since that awful Russia Cup performance? I hope that she’s coming back kicking!!!

Bigbird

Any word on Trusova’s progress since that awful Russia Cup performance? I hope that she’s coming back kicking!!!
If she cuts down the quad attempts to 2 and lands them she could just make it. But if everyone in ET's camps delivers she could be gone.

Natanielle825

She has been conspicuously absent from the angels' instagram...I'm rooting for her as well.
Didn't S/K already withdraw from nationals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information