From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka3sha

barbarafan

Do with her life? She will do the same thing anyone does keep on carrying on. Skating is something you do and not who you are.

I am still trying to figure out why she left Brian.
She had a commitment with Japan for a show and we r being so strict in Canada getting back in (depending on your contract)could be very difficult and maybe impossible for her mom. Once the show was cancelled in Japan she did have a place to skate there but if she was going to compete she had to get back to Russia and quarantine. She had a place in Russia but only coach by zoom and she injured herself again and was still not well at first competition. It looks like she met or spoke with Russian Fed. after her bad skate & they gave her direction. We are entering another serious lockdown as some PPL are abusing the no gathering rules & new cases are spiraling. So after this lockdown and the vaccine which we now have I hope in a few months we will be ok and at that pt. a procedure can be given to Zhena to get her and her Mom back here is she wants to.

concorde

That’s where Grandma-Babushka can play a big role! 👵 Most of my colleagues with kids who have to work outside the house (greater Washington, DC) are leaving the kids with Grandparents...long-term temporary solution. (For ex, my next-door neighbors in Arlington, VA, sent their children to grandparents in WVa until the YKW is over.) Creating a safety pod within an extended family can be done.

I know of same thing in the Russian side of my family - the kids of the physician (my sis-in-law) are living with one of the Babushkas many km away. Sacrifices for safety. The YKW isn’t going to last forever...and Babushka is soooo happy. Imagine.

Tell that to my next door neighbors in our condo building in Arlington! The two boys (5&6) are with maternal grandparents in Huntington, WV!

MANY families of medical professionals are living separately from spouse & kids. Watch the TV news here in the DC area. An RN lives in a trailer in the front yard of her house, to keep husband and kids separate from her, since she works in the ER. Not all people have mobile homes & front yards in which to park them!

Of course, many of these arrangements dovetail with old-fashioned family values...love of extended families, etc. Not all “sophisticates” get it!
Your original message indicated that many couples where both work outside the home send they kids to live with relatives during this period of YKW. I disagreed and indicated why. You then responded that your neighbor sent their kids away since both parents worked in hospital. Then you all me a "sophisticate" for not understanding.

I would say all essential workers have the fear of bringing the funk back to their families. But not all couples have a family member that is able to watch over their children - having one is a luxury even after YKW.

I am an essential worker in an essential industry. My minor children have one grandparent still alive and she is 83 years old and lives over 1000 miles away. One of my co-workers has a husband that works in a hospital - they have 2 pre-school aged children - and both young children continue to reside with them because both sets of grandparents are overseas.

What you described is the exception not commonplace.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I hope that Trusova gets her act together by Nationals.

It will be interesting to see how the skaters of various camps will fare, if all skate cleanly...Teams Eteri vs Mishin vs Angels. Wouldn’t it be cool if they’re all represented on the podium...for example, Scherbakova - Trusova - Tuk top 3, not necessarily in that order?

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

She had a commitment with Japan for a show and we r being so strict in Canada getting back in (depending on your contract)could be very difficult and maybe impossible for her mom. Once the show was cancelled in Japan she did have a place to skate there but if she was going to compete she had to get back to Russia and quarantine. She had a place in Russia but only coach by zoom and she injured herself again and was still not well at first competition. It looks like she met or spoke with Russian Fed. after her bad skate & they gave her direction. We are entering another serious lockdown as some PPL are abusing the no gathering rules & new cases are spiraling. So after this lockdown and the vaccine which we now have I hope in a few months we will be ok and at that pt. a procedure can be given to Zhena to get her and her Mom back here is she wants to.
You're forgetting one element, Medvedeva after returning to Russia from Japan spent several months (~2-3) at the CSKA rink, training with Buyanova and Tarasova. There was a consideration for her to stay at CSKA. Then there was that test skate and a realization that it is Tutberdize and her Team that can quickly get Medvedeva back into competing shape.

Medvedeva will not be going back to Canada. She just built a new cottage-house in the suburbs of Moscow, got a second dog, and re-rooting herself back in the area. Since she returned to Sambo-70 and not Canada, her public image has been rising back up and she is returning some of her lost popularity. That is her only way to save and gain contracts and gigs. Her prospects of placing on podiums at int'l and russian major competitions are extremely slim, so is the probability of making the World and Olympic team. Her best option is to maintain "popular performer/celebrity status" and going to Canada will not help it. Orser will not get her on the world podium or to the Olympics. The sport moved on.

NAOTMAA

If she cuts down the quad attempts to 2 and lands them she could just make it. But if everyone in ET's camps delivers she could be gone.
She's made improvements in the PCS area but she's still not on Anna or Kamila's level. If they deliver they will most certainly beat a clean 2 quad Trusova so I think she probably does need 3. The fourth however does need to go but I think she still stubbornly wants it.

Does anyone know what plans Anna has in regards to her quads? I know they were thinking of adding the second for her last cup event but in the end decided not to. I assume her recent illness has made it questionable for nationals too?

Tinami Amori

For what it is worth, some "rink talk" re: Angels of Pluchenko camp.

"Guys.... it turns out that while Kostornaya was out ill, so was Sviridenko. Angels IG posted that he (Sviridenko) is cured and back, and that Lera Shulskaya was also sick (and still is). So it sounds like the whole Rozanov's senior group, you can say was out sick (with CVD), including him. That's why they were not around."

Ka3sha

Zhulin wants Sinitsina/Katsalapov to withdraw from Nationals. They had their first practice today, the temperature went down only few days ago and competing and getting back in shape right now and after this illness could lead to problems with heart. But it’s for the Federation to decide, team Russia’s doctor and the Fed will visit the guys tomorrow and make a final decision

UPD: Aleksandr Kogan confirmed that the guys withdrew from Nationals

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Liza Tuktamysheva turns 24 today, here’s a short interview with Mishin about her
- Your "coach - student" duo is there for more than ten years old. During this time not only the athlete learns something from the coach, but also the coach learns something from the athlete. What is the main lesson Lisa has taught you?
- I would not like to say what I taught her. I would like to tell you what she taught me. She came to me when she was very little, and became, probably, the first girl in my entire long coaching life, who managed to position herself like that ...
On a shallow note. You know, sometimes experienced teachers understand that even little girls, barely teenagers, primary school girls are already women with their own mentality. It's a completely different genetic code, a completely different mental key.
So Lisa is a person who radiates such an invisible aura and strength of mind, and during these years of our joint work she didn't allow to say one rude or offensive word to her.
- What quality - as in an atlete or a human being - you admire the most about her?
- I am often asked - Urmanov, Yagudin, Plushenko, Tuktamysheva - implying that I have choose which one of them is more talented. I will answer like this. Here were the diamonds Cullinan, Shah, there were diamonds from our Russian North, from the kimberlite pipe. They are all different, unique, they cannot even be compared. Similarly, Lisa is a diamond that cannot be split into pieces and made into one hundred diamond earrings. It is a monolith, despite its small body size, which does not allow it to be divided into qualities. The division into something good, something bad, average or very good won't be tolerated in regards to the personality of Elizaveta Tuktamysheva.
- Liza turns 24 today. What is the secret that allows Tuktamysheva not to get tired of sports and continue to enjoy the competition?
- People who would try to answer this question from the stranger's point of veiw would say: hard work, perseverance, desire to win a medal, some material interests. I will answer this way. Liza is still able to skate great because she understands her own talent. The potential she hasn't completely realized. This is the only indicator that allows her to be in sports and compete both in the past and now.

Perky Shae Lynn

I am an essential worker in an essential industry. My minor children have one grandparent still alive and she is 83 years old and lives over 1000 miles away. One of my co-workers has a husband that works in a hospital - they have 2 pre-school aged children - and both young children continue to reside with them because both sets of grandparents are overseas.

What you described is the exception not commonplace.
People like to talk out of their butts. Where are those magical grandparents? Mine are in Alberta, and we are in the U.S. I don't know anyone relying on grandparents for childcare during C19. Even if grandparents are available, people are afraid they will catch C19 from the kids.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Liza Tuktamysheva turns 24 today, here’s a short interview with Mishin about her
Love him!

Tinami Amori

Savosin, Erohov, Ahantieva/Kolesov are our of Russian Nationals (per Fed's records).

The men will be replaced by Murashov and Petrov. Other sources say Erohov just received an injury and Savosin just tested positive for CVD.

starrynight

I look forward to any interview with Mishin because I enjoy his sayings and pearls of wisdom. We now have a diamond analogy. Not quite as unique as the 'playing pingpong with balls of chocolate jam' saying though.

Ka3sha

Alexei Mishin - 15 thoughts for GQ Russia

1. About childhood
I want to disappoint you: I don’t remember Sevastopol at all - we had to move from there when I was three months old. Even now my memory is acting up, and what happened to me when I was three-months - I don't remember.

2. About the purpose
Famous hockey players say: "There was nothing else in our city but hockey, so we became hockey players." And on our street Ruzovskaya there was no other sport, except for skating behind cars in valenki. So I became a skater.

3. About a twist of fate
When we were children, my friend and I decided to make a phone connection between our homes, because we lived next door. We cut off one telephone handset in the telephone cabin, and when we went for the second one, a policemen was already waiting there. He cut the elastic bands in our trousers, so that we would not run far away, and took us to the police. After that, my parents sent me to the figure skating section of the Zhdanov Palace of Pioneers. There were moms and dads all over the place, and my father thought it was a wonderful environment.

4. About injustice
Everyone should be born in due time. I will take Alexander Abt as an example: he is a wonderful skater, but he skated at the same time as Yagudin, Plushenko and Urmanov. Well, there was no way to get through them. Tamara (Moskvina) and I entered the sport, when at first there were the celestials - Belousova and Protopopov, and then the superstars - Rodnina and partners. Without such opponents, we would have won much larger titles. I don't regret it anymore. This is the injustice of life, which was, is and always will be.

5. About fate
It seems to a person that he is choosing something. A small boat floats along a stream, along a pond, along a river, the wind pushes it somewhere, and then carries it out into the ocean. It happened to me too. I graduated from LETI (Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University), went to work at the Vavilov State Optical Institute and was told: "We need to formalize secrecy." In those years they were engaged in fiber optics, and this was a very secret area of research. “How? I have to go to competitions” - I said. And so the boat sailed on, not to fiber optics, but to salchows and axels.

6. About science
Applying the laws of mechanics to human bodies is the key to how I have achieved certain success. When I came to America and explained how to land jumps, people whispered: “What are you doing! Do not take lessons from Mishin, he will ruin your technique". And the basis was in a spinning motion. Not in transitions, not in moving the pushing point, but in how to execute the rotation, how the body can move in it - I devoted my first years in coaching to it.

7. About memory
I had a rather glorious sports past, but I don't remember it and don't think about it. Life is so busy. Yesterday I got a new edition of a book about jumping in figure skating, and on the cover there is already an announcement of a new one - the biomechanics of a figure skater's movement. I train, build a dacha (country house), plant trees. They say you need to remember the past, because the future is the opposite of the past. Well I don't know.

8. About moving forward
When we walk, it seems to us that we are walking in a straight line. In fact, we, as the general line of the party, are deviating to the left, and then to the right. There is no rectilinear movement in nature.

9. About the formula for success
A weak coach and a talented student will triumph over a talented coach and a weak student. Student talent is a key ingredient.

10. About armchair critics
It is unlikely that an impression of the world can be created based on what is written in the newspapers. But the Internet gives a fairly objective picture of what is happening. One of the important people in figure skating once told me: "I don't watch what they write there, it doesn't matter to me." But I read and can say that people who are called armchair critics have sometimes very mature and analytically thought-out conclusions. I am sometimes disappointed by the (social media) posts of coaches who are considered respected. But they also have breakdowns.

11. About tact
There are few talented children, athletes and coaches in St. Petersburg, but St Petersburg residents cannot be denied of the feeling of tact.

12. About ladies skating
All phenomena in the world are of an oscillatory nature. And social ones, which, of course, figure skating belongs to, are also a subject of fluctuations. Where is the famous ice dancing school now? Where are Towler and Ford? Where are Danzer and Schwartz? Where are Czech Nepela's? For many years women's single skating almost didn't exist in our country, and athletes took last places at the events.

13. About joy
The best investment is in children. This is the only way I like to spend time with my grandson Alyosha. He is six years old, and he already plays tennis, and I am very happy about that. Not that he is good at hitting the ball or skating (although he doesn't skate well). I am pleased with the very fact that he hits the ball. The very fact of his existence brings me joy.

14. About falls
Teaching how to fall is very wrong. I can hardly restrain myself from using obscene words. No way. It is methodologically, philosophically and even pedagogically wrong. No falls. This is just a nightmare.

15. About lifestyle
I'm ecstatic.

(have to say, some of his thoughts got lost in translation and due to Russian aphorisms)

Last edited:

mjb52

I hope they have put him on the cover, he deserves it! :) His use of the word oscillatory made me think of the very similar sounding word (well in English anyway) osculation which can be an overly fancy way to say kiss. Russian skating has given us a lot of beauty, it's like a kiss to the world.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Konstantinov has joined Pluschenko's "Swan Lake" winter show.

Samodurova replaced her FS "cat suite" with a new dress (i did read complaints from fans on internet about the cat suite).

Gleikhengauz makes the main story in GQ magazine.
short clips of "shooting photo for the interview".

Zagitova, Akatieva and most of the team make it to "Good Morning" TV show in front of GUM/Red Square.

TeamTutberidze reports on skaters' condition: Scherbakova recovering well, the whole team is healthy, working hard for Nationals.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

NAOTMAA

I think Evgenia is sadly heading towards one of those too injured to continue and never gets the proper farewell type of retirements. Its possible we might never see her in a competition setting again if its as bad as it seems to be. That's pretty depressing because she really deserves a better sendoff with the cheering crowds and all the dressings regardless of how good/bad the skate is. She at least deserves a competition like Rachel Flatt's last nationals or some sort.

Ka3sha

As far as I understand, there was an organizational question about her participation and it has nothing to do with Evgenia herself & her health.
It’s a joint skating/rhythmic gymnastics show that will take place in Irina Viner-Usmanova sports palace on Dec, 24 and will be broadcasted online on Match TV (no audience).
Organizers put her name on the participants list but then deleted that post few hours later on the same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information