From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobrinFan

If the transfer had been settled in May, why did Kostornaia get a new FS from Gleikhengauz a few weeks ago? :confused:

Per Eteri, it was decided by Alena in May but she didn't tell TeamEteri about it.
Tutberidze about the transfer of Kostornaya: “She did not inform us. And we put on two programs for her, which would have impressed the judges and the audience. "
Figure skating coach Eteri Tutberidze said that European champion Alena Kostornaya did not inform her mentors about the decision to move to another group.

Today it became known that Kostornaya will train under the guidance of Evgeni Plushenko . The skater made this decision in May.

“She did not inform us about her decision.

We put on two programs for her, which would have made a huge impression on the judges and the audience, ”Tutberidze wrote.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Shocking. :eek: Alena is so much better than Anna. :shuffle: No reason for her to leave. She was the best skater internationally. I understand why Alexandra left, but not this.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
And waited for two months? Per what?
To get two choreographic masterpieces from Daniil?:lol:

Seriously.

I'd rather see an empty program set to decent music from her new coaching team (I know that's still asking a lot). At least that showcases her basics and skating skills.

I know it was only a short clip, but that new program looked rather hideous. Overwrought, busy, ugh.

Last edited:

Bigbird

If this is true, it’s kind of amusing that Eteri followed up getting a Best Coach award from the ISU by going on an online rant about how her students betray her.
Go my little Kostornaia. If you only plan to skate for two more years it should be on your terms; you are the athlete and client. Good vibes to both Trusova and Kostornaia.

Eteri, needs to adjust her make up, take some valium and attend finishing school because her bedside manner is peeping through. Bitter much? You may soon lose Valieva at this rate.

Bigbird

Seriously.

I would rather see an empty program set to decent music from her new coaching team (I know that's still asking a lot). At least that still showcases her basics and skating skills.

I know it was only a short clip, but that new program looks rather hideous. Overwrought, busy, ugh.

They did her no favours last year in terms pf choreography. Maybe she was hoping this year that the material would be better. Maybe it wasn't? And a wholelotta other things we're not privy to. But if this is Eterí's genuine response, she is a truly classless bitter woman.

angi

Eteri really is completely predictable with how she reacts to her students leaving her, someone should really tell her that in the eyes of most people shading underage girls isn't a great look. I'm counting the minutes until the usual "did she bring her flowers" discussion begins.

But the biggest takeaway for me is that while the media is portraying it as another episode in the Eteri vs. Plushenko war, I think what it really goes to show is that the skaters are going because of Sergei Rozanov who was probably a much bigger part of their skating and success than most people were aware of.

DobrinFan

Kostornaia refuses to comment.

Kogan said there was no information on the transition of Alena to Plushy in May and the transfer is not yet formalized.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:lol: I'm cracking up at those of you who thought going to Plushenko was the end of Trusova's career but it's fine for Kostornaia. Trusova went to learn quads. Anybody expecting choreographic masterpieces from his team is :rofl: :rofl:

Whether or not this is a good move remains to be seen. I totally understand Trusova's motivation for picking his team, but this is a little strange for Kostornaia given some of the other coaching choices in Russia if she was unhappy with Tutberidze. Plushenko is a really odd choice Rozanov aside.

Internal Russian comps will be very interesting. I do hope we get to see the test skates again. :watch:

Colonel Green

Kostornaia refuses to comment.

Kogan said there was no information on the transition of Alena to Plushy in May and the transfer is not yet formalized.
Refusing to comment in these circumstances seems like confirmation that it’s true.

Ka3sha

Btw, foreseeing all the drama to come, maybe separate thread is needed for these news?

hanca

Values her privacy
Because Tutberidze and her team can’t decide what reason to choose and how to play a PR- game
On the positive note, Tutberidze is now in Russia and they don’t have to be locked up at home, so she may get flowers this time! By lucky circumstances Trusova managed to have a pretty good reason why she couldn’t get the flowers to Tutberidze.

hanca

Values her privacy
Russian forum says that Spiridonov decided not to retire. He paired up with Maria Pavlova. Kudriavtseva is still looking for a partner. @Jeschke , you liked Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov, didn’t you?

J

Jeschke

Russian forum says that Spiridonov decided not to retire. He paired up with Maria Pavlova. Kudriavtseva is still looking for a partner. @Jeschke , you liked Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov, didn’t you?
I did. No clue who Pavlova is, but good new Spiridonov is staying!
Thanks for the news!

hanca

Values her privacy
Pluschenko has done well this off season, hasn’t he! Getting from Tutberidze Russian novice champion (Zhilina), which is good to have a sparing partner to his own younger novice champion (Titova), and getting two A from Tutberidze...it seems that Tutberidze couldn’t have been more generous this spring/summer! In fact, if I were Pluschenko and Tutberidze came to me and offered me to pick a few skaters from her group, I don’t think I would pick differently. Two current big guns and one for the future.

hanca

Values her privacy
I did. No clue who Pavlova is, but good new Spiridonov is staying!
Thanks for the news!
Maria Pavlova used to skate with Urmanov, but she wasn’t very successful. Not sure how long she has been doing pairs, but January 2019 she still competed singles, she was 17th at Russian junior nationals. She is now 16, so there will be some age gap with Spiridonov, (6-7 years).

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
The thing is: Plushenko has had like zero success with his senior skaters so far.
If he is now just getting his stall full with "ready" skaters, he is no better than, let's say, Tarasova who also mostly took ready-made skaters just to present them better and as her own ones.
I am very intrigued and I really want to see how he is going to handle Trusova, Konstantinova AND Kostornaia at the same time.
While having his wife's horrible reality show about all of them being filmed.

I am just going to chill out, watch this shit show going on and enjoy myself.

hanca

Values her privacy
The thing is: Plushenko has had like zero success with his senior skaters so far.
If he is now just getting his stall full with "ready" skaters, he is no better than, let's say, Tarasova who also mostly took ready-made skaters just to present them better and as her own ones.
I am very intrigued and I really want to see how he is going to handle Trusova, Konstantinova AND Kostornaia at the same time.
While having his wife's horrible reality show about all of them being filmed.

I am just going to chill out, watch this shit show going on and enjoy myself.
I don’t think Pluschenko care that much about Konstantinova. Besides, she is in a different group in Pluschenko’s school. He will be balancing Trusova, Kostornaya, Zhilina, Titova...

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Plenty of coaches do take 'ready' skaters.

For example, Virtue/Moir did most of their ground work in Canada and then came to Zoueva for polishing. Certainly Gadbois took many many ready skaters.

I don’t think V/M are a great example here. V/M were still juniors when they went to Michigan. V/M had a great foundation, but Marina and Igor did a lot more than just polishing with them. It took some developing to take the two kids who came to them after finishing 11th at junior worlds and turn them into world and Olympic champions.

Bellanca

Go my little Kostornaia. If you only plan to skate for two more years it should be on your terms; you are the athlete and client. Good vibes to both Trusova and Kostornaia
Agreed! I appreciate the skater who has a plan in place after skating. Frankly, too many hold on for far too long. If they simply love the sport, the challenge, competing, etc., and choose to stay in, that's terrific also, but if a skater or ice dancer can achieve their personal goals within a quad and feel satisfied with it all, then why not try to conquer other dreams and desires. Why would anyone begrudge someone for that? Alena has big plans that have nothing to do with skating, which means she's a smart girl -- with a plan. Ditto the good vibes!

chillyh

This is not quite true. He did his best for Sakhanovich, Tarakanova and Samoilov, they just were not first class fs material. In fact, Sima had her best senior season with Plushenko. Nastya was 4th at JFGP and 7th at Junior Russian Nationals, while her best season with ET put her 3rd at JFGP and 7th at Junior Russian Nationals. Vova Samoilov medalled at JGP.

hanca

Values her privacy
This is not quite true. He did his best for Sakhanovich, Tarakanova and Samoilov, they just were not first class fs material. In fact, Sima had her best senior season with Plushenko. Nastya was 4th at JFGP and 7th at Junior Russian Nationals, while her best season with ET put her 3rd at JFGP and 7th at Junior Russian Nationals. Vova Samoilov medalled at JGP.
I don’t think that’s actually success, considering how well she has been doing when she was with Tutberidze. Also, her programs with Pluschenko did not do her any favours, whereas when with Tutberidze, the programs suited her and showed her strengths and hid her weaknesses.

lala

Sofia Titova became Novice Russian Champion under Plushenko's guidance. Plushenko had less shows in last year he was on every competition of Titova.

chillyh

I don’t think that’s actually success, considering how well she has been doing when she was with Tutberidze. Also, her programs with Pluschenko did not do her any favours, whereas when with Tutberidze, the programs suited her and showed her strengths and hid her weaknesses.
With Plushenko it was 1st and 2nd at JGP, 4th at JFGP and 7th at JNats
With Tutberidze it was 1st and 3rd at JGP, 3rd at JFGP and 7th at JNats.
Not much better imo... With Panova she won JNats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information