From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

3T3T

An interesting interview with Viktor Adoniev. It includes comments on JLip, Med, Eteri, Anna P, Anna S and the emptiness of Morozovs choreography 😂 I thought it was a good read, not sure if it’s all true 🤔

muffinplus

An interesting interview with Viktor Adoniev. It includes comments on JLip, Med, Eteri, Anna P, Anna S and the emptiness of Morozovs choreography 😂 I thought it was a good read, not sure if it’s all true 🤔

More likely not :lol:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

Okay, I just read until "I had an amazing singing voice" and am hooked already :rofl:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Interesting interview by Adoniev.
No idea whether all of it is true or not, but it sure was entertaining :rofl:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
He's definitely an Eteri fan. Even brought up Med not bringing Eteri flowers. Only now she not only had bring flowers but a CARFUL! :lol:

It was interesting to hear about the early days before Eteri had a name.

Tinami Amori

He's definitely an Eteri fan.

:D Anybody would be in such circumstances.....

"Viktor Adoniev: No, Eteri Georgievna gave me clothes – very cool, branded. It seems that some of their relatives brought it from abroad. Maybe this was a second-hand, but I was happy to wear it. Then it was hard to get something.

And then they tell me what a creepy coach she is, a despot. Yes, she is quite a hard person at work, but I think that is right. I myself have become the same. If children can’t do something, I force them, even shout. This is absolutely right if you want to achieve a result. If the coach always pats on the back, then what will happen to you?

Eteri is completely different in life. This is a person you can always call. Even when I switched to ice dance, she was with me. Switched me from group to group, looked for partners, cared all the time. She was like an older sister to me."

It was interesting to hear about the early days before Eteri had a name.
She still helps her pupils to transfer to other venues if they don't make it in singles.

"Turns out that from the Tutberidze group you switched to ice dance?

Viktor Adoniev: She did it. In single skating, it didn’t work out because my knees hurt terribly because I started training late. In adolescence, they simply could not stand it.

Nevertheless, I resisted: “No, no dancing, only jumping!” I was crazy about jumps. But Eteri answered: “You are a handsome guy! Go to the ice dance! You will skate.” Me: “No, Eteri Georgievna, I don’t want to skate with a girl! Not everything will depend on me. ” She: “You will! You look like a guy from an intelligent family. You will skate!” (laughs).

She took me to Odintsovo, she went there with me. And she was always there. Helped if there were any problems with a partner, or it was necessary to solve something. Therefore, do not tell tales that Eteri supposedly needs only money.

What a nonsense! She herself is ready to pay to work. By the way, she helped to find work for all her students. They were taken as coaches, or given extra classes where you could earn money. But nobody talks about this at all."

Tinami Amori

some news....

D. Davis has an ankle fracture, she is in a cast for 4 weeks already and 2 weeks remain. The team will miss the Russian Test Skate but will try to get ready for the season.

Ignatov learns and performs a quad Loop.

Zagitova passes her "all-national Biology Exam".

Guerreiro is poll-vault jumping (in Novogorsk athletics department)
... and this... :D

Tutberidze/ISU awards article in Pirouette magazine ( in German)

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Russian junior test skates will take place in Novogorsk from August,10th till August, 19th.
At first - ice dancers will come to the camp, then pairs and after them singles.

No information about the stream yet (these was a stream on Channel 1 website last year)

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Brian Orser on coaching Evgenia via Zoom (a part of PJ Kwong interview with Tracy and him

He also mentioned that Evgenia has been working on her SP to Masquerade (choreo by Jeffrey Buttle) with TAT today

Tinami Amori

Anna Shcherbakova is celebrating a 1-year anniv. since she took in her adopted kitten Mafria.
Before

After (video, a must-see for pet lovers)

hanca

Values her privacy
Just wondering, if there is no JGP (and maybe not even GP) this season, the competition within the Russian cups will be insane. I believe it will be much more fair though. In the past there were Russian cup events that were very weak and events that were so strong, that even fifth place in one event was significantly stronger than first place in another event. Now it seems they will all be fully packed so no one will get easy ride to the nationals. Similarly, in the past someone got an easy ride to the nationals because they had a GP event based on the previous season’s achievements, even though they were skating pretty badly the current season. So there was a lady who got to the nationals for ‘achieving’ score of 150 at the GP event, even though another lady who in the current season got score close to 200 at the challenger event did not manage to qualify for the nationals, because sadly her Russian cup events were extremely competitive. Now if everyone has to attend the same competitions to get to the nationals, it will be like watching mini nationals every Russian cup event! It’s getting exciting!

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Just wondering, if there is no JGP (and maybe not even GP) this season, the competition within the Russian cups will be insane. I believe it will be much more fair though. In the past there were Russian cup events that were very weak and events that were so strong, that even fifth place in one event was significantly stronger than first place in another event. Now it seems they will all be fully packed so no one will get easy ride to the nationals. Similarly, in the past someone got an easy ride to the nationals because they had a GP event based on the previous season’s achievements, even though they were skating pretty badly the current season. So there was a lady who got to the nationals for ‘achieving’ score of 150 at the GP event, even though another lady who in the current season got score close to 200 at the challenger event did not manage to qualify for the nationals, because sadly her Russian cup events were extremely competitive. Now if everyone has to attend the same competitions to get to the nationals, it will be like watching mini nationals every Russian cup event! It’s getting exciting!
Maybe it will finally be more fair again.
I am looking forward to it. We may have a very surprising outcome out of that.

Ka3sha

Channel 1 blog from Kislovodsk featuring Samarin, Alice and Ignatov (it’s 48 minutes long)

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Channel 1 blog from Kislovodsk featuring Samarin, Alice and Ignatov (it’s 48 minutes long)
Thanks!
Of course I did not understand a word but came across these music choices. Are these confirmed?

Ignatov:
  • 'I can't go on without you' Kaleo
  • 'Je suis malade' (male edition)

Samarin
- 'Keeping me alive' Jonathan Roy

Aliev
  • SOS d'un terrien en detresse :love:
  • I could not recognize the second piece! Some male ballad, usual Aliev stuff :D

DobrinFan

Thanks!
Of course I did not understand a word but came across these music choices. Are these confirmed?

Ignatov:

Samarin
- 'Keeping me alive' Jonathan Roy

Aliev
  • SOS d'un terrien en detresse :love:
  • I could not recognize the second piece! Some male ballad, usual Aliev stuff :D

Well if they are practicing with them, then I would say it's confirmed. Samarin's is in any event. Averbukh said Dmitry would have Dimash too.

Ka3sha

muffinplus

Thanks!

Ignatov:

"I can't go on without you" is going to be the new "In This Shirt" very soon I guess... :rolleyes:

3T3T

Ka3sha

I ended to watching the whole Channel 1 video with the boys, Rukavitsin and Sokolobskaha from Kislovodsk.

I miss skating related content! I miss drama-free and actually pleasant content feom Russian media. It was so nice to see some ‘behind the scenes’ moments, interactions between the athletes, coaches , choreographers and to hear some nuances and explanations.

A pity that Channel 1 doesn’t provide any subtitles in English for their videos and interviews..

muffinplus

I ended to watching the whole Channel 1 video with the boys, Rukavitsin and Sokolobskaha from Kislovodsk.

I miss skating related content! I miss drama-free and actually pleasant content feom Russian media. It was so nice to see some ‘behind the scenes’ moments, interactions between the athletes, coaches , choreographers and to hear some nuances and explanations.

A pity that Channel 1 doesn’t provide any subtitles in English for their videos and interviews..

Sokolovskaya has a potty mouth... :eek:

Tinami Amori

Moscow Skating Club "Snow Leopards" is putting on an show with Novice and pre-Novice skating their exhibition numbers.

Bellanca

Anna Shcherbakova is celebrating a 1-year anniv. since she took in her adopted kitten Mafria.
Before

After (video, a must-see for pet lovers)
Awww, so sweet. That cat is adorable, a real cutie! 😻 And what a ham! 😄

Sylvia

TBD
Aleksandra Boikova's latest post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CC71i4nJuNj/

The exams have been passed, now you can soak up the sun for a couple of days!
A few words about the Unified State Exam: I can't say that the exams were hellishly difficult or incredibly easy. No, there was a little bit of everything, but I did it pretty well
Now a little respite, and then again into battle (more precisely on the ice and to the institute)
🙈

Sylvia

TBD
Interview with Natalia Bolshova, a "world-famous costume designer" who lives in USA:

The article references Maria Sotskova's post after the death of Katia Alexandrovskaya: https://www.instagram.com/p/CC3hyZ1An4O/

Tinami Amori

Alexander Samarin's footwork (video)

Alexei Mishin is awarded a medal "For Accomplishments in Sports".

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Interview with Natalia Bolshova, a "world-famous costume designer" who lives in USA:

Really interesting one.
Translating.
Natalia Marianchik for sport-express:

One of the most famous costume designers Natalia Bolshakova talks about why the female skaters are often victims
After the tragic death of the 20 y.o skater Aleksandrovskaya the talk about children athletes abuse is in the air again. For the first time Maria Sotskova - the 2018 Olympics participant spoke out. She, who went to the Olympics and made it much further than many says:
It seems we are so successful, healthy, good looking and thin, but we view ourselves in the angle of what we were told our whole lives - fat, lazy, useless, underachiever, so you would not think highly of yourself. Fortunately I was always very confident and thought highly of myself and was able to save a little of self esteem. Otherwise it would all be taken away. I spent my whole life in the sport thinking everyone invested so much into me and I never live up to their expectations. I always apologize to my family, coaches and audience, am always ashamed.

Sotskova's post was highly supported by Natalia Bolshakova - the costumes designer who worked with Klimova/Ponomarenko, Grischuk/Platov, Anisina/Piezerat, Bestemianova/Bukin and many others. Now Bolshakova lives in the USA and works with the skaters, the Russian national syncro swimming team. Most of the syncro swimming team recent victories were in her costumes.
She is an insider: many times during the costumes measurements the kids and the coaches show their other side which is never visible to the camera. Also Natalia has a chance to compare the work in different countries and it's consequences.
Bolshakova: About a week ago I was livid reading the interview of Tutberidze's ex choreographer, who said that he smacks the kids at the back of their heads. `How can you work differently with them?'. In a civilized country such a person would lose his job at once. Let me tell you - you can work differently with them! I've been working for years with the Russian synchronized swimming team who are phenomenal. You can not imagine Tatiana Danchenko hitting someone or calling them names. She would never.

Marianchik: You wrote during the costume try on you sometimes had to be a shrink for the athlete. Probably you were told quite impressive stories?
Bolshakova: I was always in ave when a girl comes - she is an idol for millions, and yet she is certain she is fat and her body is all wrong. You can't do the dress this short because her legs are fat, that cut - because her behind is huge... It's something even the thinniest girls are certain of! I had to repeat thousands of times: you are gorgeous, you are wonderful, you can wear any costume and if something does not look good it's not you, it's the costume and you are wonderful. There are exceptions - Navka for example. She is so confident, but there are not many such people, especially among the single skaters. Where is it all coming from? the coaches humiliate the girl all the time in front of the others. And she starts believing them more than she does what she sees in the mirror.

Marianchik: What is the system in the West? There are children abuse scandals in the USA and the UK, so it's certainly not only a Russia thing.
Bolshakova: I think the USA is very strict about it. The coaches, especially male, are afraid to say a wrong word or touch the athlete. They would be accused of harassment on the spot. If the coach tells the girl she is fat he will lose the job the next day. And its' the right thing! The kids who skate here are so diverse - some are plump. Everyone is gorgeous in their own way and no one said if you are talented in your moves you can not achieve the results. If you want to lose weight it should be your adult decision. In Russia the problem is that it's a soviet preparation system that remained while the people had changed. When I first started working in 1986 we were all raised to walk together, not stand out, listen to the others. But the world is so different now, there are social networks, the kids are communicating and see the different life. But for some reason there is no new way treating them. What is worse - after retiring they start working with the kids using the same methods and continuing the abuse cycle.

Marianchik: What is the solution?
Bolshakova: I have been working for 35 years and have thought a lot about it. There is no other place that finances figure skating the way Russia does. Nowhere else the kids skip the school starting the 1-2nd grade for the sport. There is no other place with such an amount of the talented coaches. And yet it's only recently with Eteri Tutberidze that the Russian girls started winning. Why? Because the girls go on the ice as if on the scaffold! They are afraid they will be shouted at that they don't live up to someone's expectations - exactly what Masha Sotskova write. The American girls go on the ice to show how gorgeous and talented they are. That's the main difference.

Marianchik: So why do the Tutberidze girls win?
Bolshakova: Because they are kids! I never worked with her, but I can imagine all her athletes' problems begin when the puberty hits. This is the time of life when the person has to be treated mildly, should be ready for the results to go down for a while, to teach loving themselves in their new body. Instead they are constantly told: if you have an fat ass your life is over, you are no longer needed. That's why the Russian juniors win everything and then dissapear in the seniors.

Marianchik: Did you ever change the athlete's image ?
Bolshakov: Sure, it happens quite often. Sometimes I even offer to make the costume the way I see it and if they dislike it I will change it no charge. Though it might turn out being a month of working without being payed, but it's worth it. The person starts seeing themselves in a new light. The girl can be so worried about the extra 100grm. It happened that kids would faint being hungry while trying the costumes. Guess they had a practice then got to the costume try without having a meal - and here we are.

Marianchik: Who makes the final decision what will the costume look like?
Bolshakova: In the USA the kid and their parents, they can ask the coach's point of view if they want to. But the kid has the last word. In Russia - the coach. Which I think is one of the mental abuse sides. At the girls at least -the guys usually don't care what they wear, but for a girl it's so important to be on the ice wearing something she likes, something she picked. Yet the coach is not even convincing her, just simply states what will she be wearing. It's considered the coach knows the best, but why? The coach knows better how to do the steps and the jumps, but since when the costume is their speciality?

Marianchik: So if the coach likes this or that style all their skaters will wear more or less the same?
Bolshakova: It's more because the same designer works with the whole group. But what if the girl wants to stand our? There is no choice. All the costumes are subsided by the state. Once I had a pair who came to me - I will not name the names, but they aimed for the high places and were on the good salary. They said `We have 1000$ for the costumes each. Can you do it?'. I started explaining that for such amount the costume will have a minimum extra. I offered them to add 500$ of their own money. I.e. for 2 costumes the person had to add a 1000$ a season of their own money. They thought for a minute and said `Nope. Just do the minimum'. It's coming from a person who aims to the medals. And am sure they will waste the said 1000$ easily on a branded bag.

Marianchik: What do you think about the transformed dress Anna Scherbakova had?
Bolshakova: It's not new. We did it in the 80s with Irina Romanova (skated with Igor Yaroshenko). The idea was Irina's. She was always very creative in her costumes, would come with her own design and ended up studying that.
So the transformer dress is not a new thing, it was remembering the good old thing. I think the best costume award was rightly given the American pair Chock/Bates. Their costume was the highest level, very stylish. There are dresses who are well done and there are real designer work. This is what the Americans had.

Marianchik: Do you like the way Medvedeva's looks have changed ever since she moved to Canada?
Bolshakova: Certainly yes. I like everything that happens to Zhenya. After going through the dictatorship she kept her personality. Which is almost impossible in the Russian sport. What Sotskova and Popova say only support it. I do remember Betina - I was doing her `Carmen' dress. The most gorgeous girl comes in and she is sure she is fat and nothing suits her. Where is it coming from? Who convinced her that?

Marianchik: Who is your style idol in figure skating?
Bolshakova: Yuna Kim was always very stylish. Masha Sotskova stood out, but it's a different story - her mom copied the top fashion dresses and put the luxury brands on the ice. It's not the best practice -after all you are stealing the ideas. But it was well done and looked good.

Marianchik: How much does usually a designed dress cost?
Boshakova: Around 1.5K$. Depending on the material, the amount of work etc. But I never charge for the stones and the things around, I dont' care about that. Sometimes the simplest looking costume ends up being the most expensive. It's an expensive simplicity. These are the kind of dressed the champions usually pick. Taste is something you have to train from the very young age.

Ka3sha

Anastasia Shpilevaya:
Hello everyone) I wanted to keep everything in secret, but now I understand that it makes no sense.
For a long time, I honestly did not believe in this "magical non-existent virus" that everyone was talking about. Nevertheless, I was very serious about my health, I always wore a mask and gloves. The antiseptic in my purse became my must-have accessory) But what happened - happened. I got sick .. I will not go into details, but I will just say that I have never encountered such a illness (and God forbid, I won't in the future).
I have recovered, for which I want to say a huge thank you to all the doctors, nurses, and all the staff of the FMBC hospital. Thank you, my dear partner @grigorysmi, coaches and parents for your tremendous support.
But unfortunately this is not the end of the story. After I started to give my body a little load to get in shape after a long illness, new difficulties arose. After going out for just one workout, I sat down at home again. And for now I can only move this way..
Why am I writing this .. Please take care of yourself and your loved ones. Be healthy and take precautions😷
Warm wishes☀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information