Any chance of Savchenko & Massot returning

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Well Zoe Jones is 40 and IIRC Savchenko has been very supportive of her. So she probably doesn’t feel too old!
I’d love to see her give singles a go if Bruno doesn’t want to come back! It does seem a bit crazy but it’s Aljona so nothing is impossible! :swoon:

Japanfan

I don't see why she would come back. IIRC, she's already been to five Olympics. And finally got her gold.

She's got a family now and should be able to do really well in shows, maybe continue to pursue her interest in coaching. Plus, having to train for competition can be so grueling, and did so for a very long time.

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't see why she would come back. IIRC, she's already been to five Olympics. And finally got her gold.

She's got a family now and should be able to do really well in shows, maybe continue to pursue her interest in coaching. Plus, having to train for competition can be so grueling, and did so for a very long time.
This is why Aljona is the greatest; she doesn't ask herself "why should I do this?". If she wants something, she goes for it.

Recall that some people were saying much the same thing when she teamed up with Massot instead of retiring along with Robin Szolkowy (minus the part about having a family, and she wouldn't be the first skater with a child).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This is why Aljona is the greatest; she doesn't ask herself "why should I do this?". If she wants something, she goes for it.

Recall that some people were saying much the same thing when she teamed up with Massot instead of retiring along with Robin Szolkowy (minus the part about having a family, and she wouldn't be the first skater with a child).

Yes, actually the majority of this board was very 'WTF' about her choice to continue on after 2014 and many people in general were pretty nasty/sharing their belief that she was delusional to think she had a chance. About that...

She continues to amaze me. Remember, she's (easily) done 3T+3T in practice, too.

Imagine a 2022 Olympics with Savchenko and Duhamel in the ladies event :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
Yes, actually the majority of this board was very 'WTF' about her choice to continue on after 2014 and many people in general were pretty nasty/sharing their belief that she was delusional to think she had a chance. About that...
I got that one right! A lot of the discussion is in the archives, but here's what I wrote at the time:
In hindsight Massot seems like such an obvious choice that I'm surprised nobody suggested it before it came up in the media. I guess because the focus was on German partners and on people who were partner-less or were expected to be headed for a split. Anyway, they've trained alongside one another, he's worked with Steuer and knows the drill, he's shown that he's open to outside the box program concepts (and costumes, which will make Aliona happy), and he's not a bad skater. To those who say that he's not as good as Robin, well, not at the moment, but the right partner can make a world of difference, and it's not like Robin was all that accomplished when he first started skating with Aliona. And if anyone thinks, well, they were younger then - Robin was 24. Massot is 25. He could easily relocate to Germany...
Other than the Steuer part, of course.

Aljona knows what she's doing and always has (outside of some highly questionable costumes :lol:).

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I was totally on the Sav/Mass team when I saw the height of their twist. Plus, I believed in her. I still do. She loves to compete and if that's what she wants to do, she should do it. I'd be thrilled to see her compete again in ether pairs or as a singles skater for Germany. She just has to convince Bruno that he wants to do it again. :lol: She's pretty persuasive.

aftershocks

Banned Member
MsZem said:
... it's not like Robin was all that accomplished when he first started skating with Aliona...

Why is it though that Robin keeps being looked down upon I wonder, as somehow not having talent up to Aljona's level?? I don't think that's true. They all three (Steuer, Savchenko, and Szolkowy) worked together and pushed each other and the partnership blossomed to great heights. Maybe they could have accomplished even more, if not for negativity from the outside, and the eventual Stasi revelations being used against Steuer, which placed tremedous pressure on the trio, financially and career-wise. And yet, they won five World championships, multiple European championships and GPFs, and two Olympic medals, because they were good and they had something together that couldn't be denied. The trio changed the face of pairs figure skating.

The three of them stayed together for a reason, despite the relationship dynamics behind-the-scenes being tense and pressure-filled, partly due to Steuer not being financially supported by German fed after the Stasi revelations. Amidst enormous outside pressure and challenges, Robin & Aljona remained loyal to Steuer and to each other and they went as far as they could together. Steuer is known to have a temperamental personality, and his romantic involvement off-and-on with Aljona probably caused further difficulties. Aljona herself also seems to have a demanding, type-A personality. Robin was the calm within the storm, though apparently he and Aljona didn't always communicate well.

MsZem

I see the sea
Why is it though that Robin keeps being looked down upon I wonder, as somehow not having talent up to Aljona's level?? I don't think that's true. They all three (Steuer, Savchenko, and Szolkowy) worked together and pushed each other and the partnership blossomed to great heights.
You're responding to something I wrote in 2014 to explain why people shouldn't look at a skater's record in a previous partnership in order to forecast how they'd do in their next partnership.

When they paired up, Aljona was a former JW champion. Robin was not. Did it matter? No. They were fabulous together. Aljona was a five-time world champion and two-time Olympic medalist in 2014. Bruno had won the 2014 Challenge Cup. Did it matter that he was vastly less accomplished than Aljona? No.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... something I wrote in 2014 to explain why people shouldn't look at a skater's record in a previous partnership in order to forecast how they'd do in their next partnership.

^^ There's nothing wrong with that part of what you're saying. And sure Robin not having the same hardware as Aljona when they partnered, is a measure of something but not necessarily Robin's level of talent and ability. Many talented skaters never manage to get the breaks they need, so championships are a measure of talent and training, but also of luck and of things working out in the big moments.

As I said earlier, there was something complementary that just clicked and S/S grew and developed together. The circumstances and time period factors involved in the Aljona/Robin partnership are very different from the Aljona/Bruno partnership, but both partnerships have singular importance and value. Aljona's years with Robin and Ingo laid the foundation for what she was able to accomplish with Bruno.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

MsZem

I see the sea
Bumping this thread up ~6 months later...

"First Triple Twist after one year break 🤪💪😊": https://www.instagram.com/p/CKjm84fqIW0/

:D
I sometimes question whether Aljona is, in fact, human.

I can't imagine they're going to all this trouble during the current situation just to do shows. Unless there's some TV extravaganza being planned, this has to be another shot at the Olympics, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information