From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new thread with @Ka3sha's link to the 2020-21 Russian National Team document (38 pages):
And here it is
Main team [figure skating] lists start at page 15, reserve at page 25

Looks like Victoria Vasileva (was at JGPF this year) switched to pairs and teamed up Nikita Volodin
Pairs, Main team (alphabetical order)
Seniors: Boikova/Kozlovski, Mishina/Gallyamov, Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Panfilova/Rylov, Pepeleva/Pleshkov, Tarasova/Morozov
Juniors (girls 13-19, boys 13-21): Akhantieva/Kolesov, Artemieva/Nazarychev, Mukhametzianova/Mironov, Mukhortova/Evgeniev
Junior: Raskovalova/Butayev [she's 13, he's 18]

Reserve team
Seniors: Dmitrii Yalin [Ialin], Kadyrova/Balchenko
Juniors (girls 13-19, boys 13-21): Vasilieva/Volodin [new team; he's aged out of ISU Jr.], Kuzmin/Khvalko, Petushkova/Malikov
Ladies Reserve team, Senior: Anastasiia Guliakova, Sofia Samodurova, Kseniia Sinitsyna
Juniors, main (girls 13-19): Kamila Valieva, Sofia Samodelkina, Daria Usacheva, Anna Frolova, Maiia Khromykh
Junior (girls 10-17): Sofia Akatieva, Elizaveta Berestovskaia, Alina Gorbacheva, Maria Dmitrieva, Veronika Zhilina, Adelia Petrosian
Junior Reserve (girls 13-19): Sofia Muravieva, Valeria Shulskaia

Men Reserve team, Senior: Mikhail Kolyada, Roman Savosin, Anton Shulepov
Juniors, main (boys 13-19): Artem Kovalev, Gleb Lutfullin, Andrei Mozalev, Daniil Samsonov, Evgenii Semenenko, Ilya Yablokov
Juniors (boys 10-17): Maxim Belyavsky, Vsevolod Knyazev, Mark Kondratyuk, Mark Lukin
Junior Reserve (boys 13-19): Georgy Kunitsa, Andrei Kutovoi, Kirill Sarnovskii

Ice Dance Reserve team, Senior: Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Egor Bazin [new], Anastasia Shpilevaya/Grigory Smirnov
Juniors, main (girls 13-19, boys 13-21): Davis/Smolkin, Katashinskaia/Vaskovich, Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy, Ushakova/Nekrasov, Khavronina/Cirisano, Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy
Juniors (girls 10-17, boys 10-19): Aleksova/Vladimirov, Kaganovskaia/Angelopol, Mamchenkova/Volkov, Svistunova/Studenikin, Shichina/Khubulov
Junior Reserve (girls 13-19, boys 13-21): Zhukova/Karpov, Lazareva/Prokofiev, Leonteva/Gorelkin

Eventually the full lists will be published on the federation website here: https://fsrussia.ru/sbornaya.html

ETA: The senior national team was posted back on May 15 in the previous thread (refer to the post below).

I've edited in more names above (ladies/men/ice dance) - corrections welcomed!

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Main Senior Team was also listed here
Main Russian Team for 2020/21 season was announced today:

Ladies: Kostornaya, Scherbakova, Trusova, Medvedeva, Zagitova, Tuktamysheva
Men: Aliev, Danielian, Samarin, Mozalev, Gumennik, Ignatov
Pairs: Boikova/Kozlovski, Mishina/Gallyamov, Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Tarasova/Morozov, Pepeleva/Pleshkov, Panfilova/Rylov
Ice Dance: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, Skoptsova/Aleshin, Morozov/Bagin, Shevchenko/Eremenko

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm really sorry to see Vasilieva leaving singles already. She was great on the JGP last year, with an icy intensity like Totmianina. Maybe that will translate well to pairs. Skating singles for any other country she could be extremely successful. It's a shame.
At this moment, getting to top six in Russian senior ladies is nearly impossible. It is like a close society - they are all world champions, European champions or an olympic champion (plus Scherbakova and Trusova who didn’t have that many chances to become European or world champions but I think it is just a matter of time). In pairs it is much more open - Tarasova-Morozov look like they won’t be there forever, and Boikova-Kozlovski managed to get to the top pretty fast. The other pairs within top six are relatively new seniors and not unbeatable. With an experienced partner, Vasilieva can learn pairs within a year (same as many ladies did, e.g. Sobinina, Balabanova, Kadyrova or in the past Antipova). I am just not sure whether Volodin is that strong skater; he had a few problems with lifts this season, and his jumps are not super consistent either. But he is not that much worse than other pair male skaters. So she will have a chance to get on the senior team within a few years, if things go well.

Tinami Amori

With an experienced partner, Vasilieva can learn pairs within a year
Vasilieva at present, imo, has the strongest jumps content of all the pairs ladies, jr. and sr. It's up to the guy to match it. Yet the "guy" has to be pretty tall/strong, because Vasilieva's weight maybe an issue.

This is not my opinion. It is her coach's (Davydov) opinion.

"Coach Davydov talks about Vasilieva's weight problems".

starrynight

I'm really sorry to see Vasilieva leaving singles already. She was great on the JGP last year, with an icy intensity like Totmianina. Maybe that will translate well to pairs. Skating singles for any other country she could be extremely successful. It's a shame.

I think a transition to pairs is smart. If you like a lady skater you will hopefully get many years of enjoyment of her skating if she transitions to pairs. There's always a risk that the ladies singles who don't make the very top will quickly disappear from the sport.

There's also something glorious about a pairs lady. They are the peak elite of the sport in my opinion.

Ka3sha

I quite liked Vasilieva in singles, especially when I saw her lice at Russian Cup Final event last year when most skating fans focused on Medvedeva/Tuktamysheva.
She has always had a pretty decent technique, high jumps, good speed and energy.
It’s also a bit astonishing to see a skater with a potential to score about 200 points at senior single events and to get a senior GP event to switch to other discipline. But considering she had some injuries during the season and had to skip senior nationals because of one - maybe it’s a wise move for her?! :)

Bellanca

The depth of Russian ladies’ singles is significant enough that trying to advance to the top-tier is a tall order to fill. The next consideration is generally switching to pairs’ or ice dance. However, it is not as easy as it sounds. Sadly, for many, it's more like an arrow pointing to the exit of their competitive skating career even though they are still a viable competitor.

Usually, having such a fantastic amount of talent is a dream come true. However, the limited amount of spots available on every team brings inevitable heartbreak. Can't blame the skaters who seek out alternatives. Having said that, I am not a fan of skaters switching countries — which is also time-consuming and filled with red tape. Imo, it is not the recommended way to go.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Speaking of switching, I wonder if Kanysheva has had any luck searching for a dance partner.

hanca

Values her privacy
Vasilieva at present, imo, has the strongest jumps content of all the pairs ladies, jr. and sr. It's up to the guy to match it. Yet the "guy" has to be pretty tall/strong, because Vasilieva's weight maybe an issue.

This is not my opinion. It is her coach's (Davydov) opinion.

"Coach Davydov talks about Vasilieva's weight problems".
The article is from September 2019. So if she had weight problems nine months ago, that doesn’t mean that she will have it now or in the future. If Biriukova could do pairs (and she wasn’t a stick thin girl), why couldn’t Vasilieva?

starrynight

Any word on the status of training for the Russian skaters?

When will the St Petersburg skaters be back on the ice? Have there been any news updates from Novogorsk?

Regarding Vasilieva -- if she can consistently land high value jumps in pairs she will have a solid head start. She's a very short girl. If a skater as tall as Ashlee Cain-Gribble at 168cm tall can make an effective pairs skater then I think Vasileva is in with a shot.

And I do think that pairs is just different to singles. Pairs have to play the long game. So whatever elite shape is necessary has to be one which is sustainable for a skater right through to their late twenties. While the pairs girls are very petite, it's a different shape than that which the very young single skaters have.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Which jump is the "sheepskin coat"? (I assume it's a translation issue but it was amusing.)

hanca

Values her privacy
Interesting. I'd suspected the skaters would just pick up where they left off. Hence why all the panic about getting them back on ice early was not warranted.

Might be a while until a proper international competition is held, so the trick will be for the skaters to pace themselves in training.
But it is different to land jump as a one-off, when there is no pressure and the skater can take as many attempts as he/she wants, and completely different getting back the consistency, stamina and landing the jumps under pressure, during a four minute program when there is only the one attempt that counts. I didn’t think singles would have a problem to regain jumps that they had before the break, but to get to some decent competitive shape may be much more problematic. Especially when they don’t even know at this stage which competitions will take place, so they can’t even make a proper training plan and figure out when it would be best to peak, and when there is a short down time to catch a breath.

starrynight

Especially when they don’t even know at this stage which competitions will take place, so they can’t even make a proper training plan

Yeah for sure!

There's little point in heavy training with lots of repetition and injury/stress fracture risk right now if there won't be an international competition until 2021 etc.

Tinami Amori

Plushenko's announcement about Trusova and 4loop.

Fans have no doubt that Trusova is working on and is capable of doing a quad loop. Fans also know that Plushenko is a bragger, often exaggerates and is now hell-bent on proving he is a better coach.

Last few days he posted on IG practically EVERY quad and jump combo that Trusova performed. The last one was 4-lutz.

prior to that it was 4T (i think i posted it in Russia #36).

Yet he has not posted any videos about the supposed attempt of quad loop. People simply don't believe him.

Learning a new quad from scratch takes preparation for several weeks if not months. The training resumed less than 1 week. Nobody doubts Trusova is working on her quads and 4L and will eventually try it on ice, but not at this speed.

lala

Plushenko's announcement about Trusova and 4loop.

Fans have no doubt that Trusova is working on and is capable of doing a quad loop. Fans also know that Plushenko is a bragger, often exaggerates and is now hell-bent on proving he is a better coach.

Last few days he posted on IG practically EVERY quad and jump combo that Trusova performed. The last one was 4-lutz.

prior to that it was 4T (i think i posted it in Russia #36).

Yet he has not posted any videos about the supposed attempt of quad loop. People simply don't believe him.

Learning a new quad from scratch takes preparation for several weeks if not months. The training resumed less than 1 week. Nobody doubts Trusova is working on her quads and 4L and will eventually try it on ice, but not at this speed.

What are you talking about? He posted the 4Lz only and Rozanov was the first who publicated.. The other combo was on Sarnovsky' video he posted on his page and we can see Sasha in the backround. And Plushenko doesn't exaggerate. He just says what happens in that moment and doesn't care about what some peoplethink about it. Thinking logically probably everybody read his interview in his team immediately becomes clean he lied. Why he would do it? The Russians are malicious, sorry, but probably the most malicious and envious nation. Many Tutberidze fans started to hate Sasha Trusova. She lies, she would be Yana's puppet, etc, etc. I can tell a story for example some years ago Plushenko told he tried quad Axel not once and he failed, of course. His Russian haters said he lies and laugh at him. He is too old to do it too old to try it! (In the Rusian's mind the age is a very important fact in everything!) After that we can read about Dmitiriev's and the others' attempts. And many similar stories I remember! I said the Russian figure skating fans are the worst they think the worst about almost everybody. But probably it would be better if Plushenko doesn't say anything for the Russian media. He doesn't learn or doesn't care about the Russian media is eager to write about him. And on the sports.ru is full of posters who are sickly interested in Plushenko's life and things.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Ah, Jesus. So now the conversation won’t be about Pluschenko’s lifestyle, or Pluschenko versus Yagudin. Now we are getting into Did Pluschenko lie when he said that Trusova landed quad loop? I guess it is improvement, making the big issue about a skating topic rather than his wife and his lifestyle, but ...seriously? Does it really matter whether Trusova landed the loop after being a few months off ice? Last time I checked, it only counts what one lands during competition anyway. She could land quad axel during her training session and it won’t give her any medal or official acknowledgement, unless she lands it during competition.

Bigbird

In my humble opinion given Trusova's mindset Plushenko has already lost hhe battle. Better to let the child prepare in silence and grow in confidence away from the public eye. He seems to forget that it's not really about him but the students. In all this I have new found respect jor Eteri. Her methods are brutal though and it's up to the parents and her wards to pull the plug when enough's enough. Oh well. Each man must make and live by his or her own choices.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Right. Why are we surprised that Plushenko might be using press and social media politically? As if the top coaches weren’t doing this already before him?

Bellanca

I feel really sorry for Trusova. First it was Medvedeva that they turned on. Now it seems to be Trusova. It’s a very obvious pattern. I hope Trusova dominates this season.
No reason to be feeling sorry for Trusova. She’s in a much better place at this stage, imo. The coaching change was necessary and will be beneficial. I would say that I feel really hopeful for Trusova. Happy to hear about the jumps! 👍

ETA: landing jumps of any kind is good. We’ll stay tuned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information