ISU Cancels 2020 World Figure Skating Championships

coppertop1

Clearly, some people think it's worth risking the skaters' lives, and all the others in attendance to hold the Worlds. Good to see that the skaters don't really matter and the show must go on. Fans really can be so entitled. If the skaters understand, so should the rest of us.

skatingguy

decently
Clearly, some people think it's worth risking the skaters' lives, and all the others in attendance to hold the Worlds. Good to see that the skaters don't really matter and the show must go on. Fans really can be so entitled. If the skaters understand, so should the rest of us.
I think any plan to hold Worlds in October is based on the hope that the virus has run it's course, or least waned considerably, by that time. I'm not sure that anyone is advocating holding the event if the current circumstances were to continue to that time, but whether it is reasonable to hold to World Championships in what would normally be the time period of one skating season. That is something we've never seen before, and I think there are reasonable arguments on both sides as to whether this is a good idea. At the moment I'm kind of against having a World Championships in October, and assuming next the skating season starts on time I think we should allow the athletes to build up to an event of that magnitude, in particular given how much training time is, and will be, lost.

ostile17

I think any plan to hold Worlds in October is based on the hope that the virus has run it's course, or least waned considerably, by that time. I'm not sure that anyone is advocating holding the event if the current circumstances were to continue to that time, but whether it is reasonable to hold to World Championships in what would normally be the time period of one skating season. That is something we've never seen before, and I think there are reasonable arguments on both sides as to whether this is a good idea. At the moment I'm kind of against having a World Championships in October, and assuming next the skating season starts on time I think we should allow the athletes to build up to an event of that magnitude, in particular given how much training time is, and will be, lost.

Skating aside, the toll the economy will pay once this is over can only be compared to WWII or maybe the 1929 crisis but in a global scale. Life, as we know it, will not be the same for a long, long while.

Think only of the aviation, the travelling industry. Take Hawaii: most people there have been laid off. Same here in Italy and this is GLOBAL. Once the virus is gone, we will have to deal with the catastrophic situation and start to pick up the debris!

No, nothing will be the same after this!

skatingguy

decently
Skating aside, the toll the economy will pay once this is over can only be compared to WWII or maybe the 1929 crisis but in a global scale. Life, as we know it, will not be the same for a long, long while.

Think only of the aviation, the travelling industry. Take Hawaii: most people there have been laid off. Same here in Italy and this is GLOBAL. Once the virus is gone, we will have to deal with the catastrophic situation and start to pick up the debris!

No, nothing will be the same after this!
Maybe, it's still early so we have to see how long this crisis lingers. The Spanish flu pandemic killed 1/2 a billion people after the horror that was the 1st World War, and things did change for many people, and many of those changes were very positive. We don't know yet where this will lead us.

starrynight

Yes. But the loss of a figure skating forum because many members have died is even sadder.

I don’t really like the attitude that we are all not allowed to care about the loss of jobs, hobbies, fun etc. The whole thing is terrible yes. But it’s still sad this is all happening.

The fact that so many people are using FSU to discuss the BB shows how central skating and this forum are to many people.

Japanfan

I don’t really like the attitude that we are all not allowed to care about the loss of jobs, hobbies, fun etc. The whole thing is terrible yes. But it’s still sad this is all happening.

That's not my attitude at all. Of course it's sad that this is all happening - tragic. Of course people can care about those things. It's natural and inevitable for people to be grieving losses of all kinds at this time.

We do, however, need to keep it in perspective. A global pandemic is killing a lot of people. I watch my small nest egg, invested in the market, go lower everyday - heading towards a 50% loss or worse. I have to remind myself that I lead a relatively privileged life and am very lucky that I have a place in which to shelter/isolate and running water to wash my hands.

Tinami Amori

Rika said this exercise is good for home..... but this looks like a class-room with a chalk board or a studio... someone is walking out of the house and finds a place to exercise.. :cool:

お家でも出来るエクササイズ😆
今できることを全力で💪
健康第一、安全第一。
#チャレンジをさずける"

"Exercise that can be done at home😆
Everything you can do now💪
Health first, safety first."

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I just looked at the ******** map for Canada today. Quebec now has more cases than anywhere else in the country. (The number of cases tripled on Monday). And the last I remember hearing before Worlds was cancelled, there had been none.

There were 4 in Quebec on the day before official cancellation iirc.
Better news today re. number of new cases, thank goodness. The Gazette tweets an updated chart each day. I know they’re ramping up testing but yesterday’s numbers (March 31) were still concerning.
https://twitter.com/mtlgazette/status/1245398401199546369

We absolutely dodged a huge bullet. If Worlds had been the week earlier it’d be a mess with everyone having already arrived. Two weeks earlier and it’d have been held without much precautions. Thank goodness there was still time to cancel.

Last edited:

barbarafan

@Lara Quebec govt. is looking absolutely genius right now for having canceled Worlds when they did.
It was of course the correct decision although I moaned and groaned for about 2 days until I saw the numbers jumping & realised there was no way it could be contained in the snap of a finger. Schools were officially closed same week as well as access to hospitals (unless a patient)and anything elective cancelled. Retails inside malls were closed as well. And stilllllll our numbers are booming. Majority of people (anyone I have seen)are happily complying. I lined up for half an hour outside the large grocery store I go to and everyone made sure they were 6 feet apart from next person and it was a guard who let us in. Once I was in there couldn't have been more than 20 people total in the store. There was no reason to approach anyone.

Bellanca

@Gris I think China has handled this very effectively, disregarding the initial lag. Once Central Leadership sprung into action, everything moved at warp speed and they've contained the disease. US on the other hand...oy.
Are you kidding me? Citizens and Doctors “mysteriously” disappearing, being dragged out of their homes and cars, one woman possibly having her neck broken. Chasing them down in the streets. Grossly lying about the number of total fatalities. CCP hiding and being purposely evasive as to when and where it all started... and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’m sorry but your post is as stunning as it is ridiculous. Seeing as you are buying into everything, I’ve got some swamp land for sale. You might want to stay away from the “mainstream” propaganda.

Polaris

@Weve3 I stand by what I said. China has effectively contained this disease within its borders, whether you like its draconian measures or not.

Its cities have reopened and people are freely moving about in Shanghai, Beijing, etc. Meanwhile, Italy, Spain, and the US are a mess. People still aren't social distancing in New York, this country still has not shut down, has a shortage of tests and ventilators, and an army of quacks in charge (except Fauci) peddling snake oil medicine to the public and calling the disease a hoax. The Navy just fired a captain for sounding the alarm bells over the disease spreading on his ship (censoring whistleblowers, amirite?). And THAT is just the tip of the iceberg here.

Maybe YOU should stay away from digesting only Western media as you are clearly biased.

Last edited:

Bellanca

@Weve3 I stand by what I said. China has effectively contained this disease within its borders, whether you like its draconian measures or not.

Its cities have reopened and people are freely moving about in Shanghai, Beijing, etc. Meanwhile, Italy, Spain, and the US are a mess. People still aren't social distancing in New York, this country still has not shut down, has a shortage of tests and ventilators, and an army of quacks in charge (except Fauci) peddling snake oil medicine to the public and calling the disease a hoax. The Navy just fired a captain for sounding the alarm bells over the disease spreading on his ship (censoring whistleblowers, amirite?). And THAT is just the tip of the iceberg here.

Maybe YOU should stay away from digesting only Western media as you are clearly biased.
Congratulations, you’ve been thoroughly indoctrinated. Your life is in a bubble. Enjoy.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
There is an entire forum for discussing the virus and a number of threads in PI discussing the political implications of the virus, so perhaps discussion of that issue could be moved elsewhere and this thread could get back to skating?

barbarafan

WOW!! are you suggesting we kill anyone testing positive instead of trying to save them to end the spread quicker.

Yuri

The golf world today reschedule 3 of its 4 major championships today: the PGA Championship in early August, the US Open in mid September, and THE MASTERS in early November. The British Open in mid-July was canceled, frankly because it needs the 18+ hours of light in the UK that time of year and cannot be postponed. The Tour Championship playoffs remain in the last 3 weeks of August, and the Ryder Cup in late September.

Golf is an international sport with individuals (not teams) and if they can reschedule weather dependent events for August to November, there is no reason that the ISU cannot do the same thing for Worlds in early October. Stock markets surged today on hopes of fewer deaths than originally projected, so let's get on with a contingent rescheduling of Worlds!

We need a light at the end of the tunnel so that people don't give up hope that some normalcy can return. I really believe that most skaters would love closure on the 2019-20 season, even if delayed 7 months.

coppertop1

The golf world today reschedule 3 of its 4 major championships today: the PGA Championship in early August, the US Open in mid September, and THE MASTERS in early November. The British Open in mid-July was canceled, frankly because it needs the 18+ hours of light in the UK that time of year and cannot be postponed. The Tour Championship playoffs remain in the last 3 weeks of August, and the Ryder Cup in late September.

Golf is an international sport with individuals (not teams) and if they can reschedule weather dependent events for August to November, there is no reason that the ISU cannot do the same thing for Worlds in early October. Stock markets surged today on hopes of fewer deaths than originally projected, so let's get on with a contingent rescheduling of Worlds!

We need a light at the end of the tunnel so that people don't give up hope that some normalcy can return. I really believe that most skaters would love closure on the 2019-20 season, even if delayed 7 months.

The skaters have said they don't want a Fall Worlds. It would mess up the season in a pre-Olympic. Let it go. We don't even know what next season will look like.

Winnipeg

I agree we should let the Worlds go this year. I thought that was the plan?

The only question is how to determine the number of skaters per country per discipline. I guess we aill have to go with what would have been at this year's worlds? That would give the 2021 Worlds the place where spots for the 2022 Olys would be determined?

coppertop1

I agree we should let the Worlds go this year. I thought that was the plan?

The only question is how to determine the number of skaters per country per discipline. I guess we aill have to go with what would have been at this year's worlds? That would give the 2021 Worlds the place where spots for the 2022 Olys would be determined?

I think they would use the spots for the 2020 Worlds. Not sure what else they could do

gkelly

That would give the 2021 Worlds the place where spots for the 2022 Olys would be determined?

Which it would have been anyway.

This would be a bigger problem if the pre-Olympic Worlds were the one canceled at the last minute.

(If next year's Worlds has to be canceled because the situation is not under control 11 months from now, there will be bigger problems than Olympic slots per figure skating federation to worry about.)

Yuri

The skaters have said they don't want a Fall Worlds. It would mess up the season in a pre-Olympic. Let it go. We don't even know what next season will look like.

So how many skaters exactly have said they are just fine without having a World Championships this fall? Sure, there were some limited quotes and Instagram posts, probably closely vetted by their agents and advisors, from a few top contenders. We all know that if any skater had stated that they wanted to compete at Worlds, they would have been socially shamed as evil, uncaring, selfish people. Even though young, healthy athletes have virtually ZERO chance of hospitalization or death. The projected USA deaths are already down 97% from the alarmist, fear-mongering 2,200,000 to around 60,000 as of this morning, and many of those deaths are people dying WITH it and not BECAUSE of it. It's time to start thinking about reopening the sports world and the economy, especially for events that can be postponed.

There was a time when the ISU was requiring two long programs per seasons from the top skaters during the glut of made-for-TV events a couple decades ago, and when there were the dreaded Qualification Rounds at Worlds. If given an opportunity for medals and prize money, I bet 95% or more of the skaters would show up for an October Worlds. The time window is so short for athletes in figure skating, especially in Senior Ladies, so when the rinks reopen this summer there is plenty of time to train new programs for everyone, and only the Worlds skaters need to maintain those from the prior season in competition form. They could even use those programs in the Grand Prix events if they want to show off new programs later in the season at their Nationals, Europeans/4CCs, and Worlds. Plus it solves the fairness issue for the number of qualifiers for 2021 Worlds, critical since that is the events that determines the 2022 Olympic slots.

VGThuy

That is an idiotic statement. There have already been young, healthy athletes who have been hospitalized. And one 19 year old college athlete who died.

I know people who have had family members, colleagues, and mentors who have died from related complications. There are reports of people having it and though they survived have been adversely affected and may have lifelong complications in their lungs among other things.

Honestly, I suspect the call to have Worlds and ignore the many of the skaters’ wishes is less about having Worlds or the skaters and is more about making some political point because they think they are taking some individualistic liberty stance. That and :bribe: trumps everything else.

Last edited:

Fiero425

I know people who have had family members, colleagues, and mentors who have died from related complications. Honestly, I suspect the call to have Worlds and ignore the many of the skaters’ wishes is less about having Worlds or the skaters and is more about making some political point.

Int'l sports has always been a political exercise in the more knowing eyes of the world! It's just another way of saying "we're better than you!" At least it's not being fought out behind the barrel of a gun, but it's no less intense when you look at it closely! Some with intent more overt than others, it's still a measure of men even if it has little to do with goodness, morality, or charity! More than likely it's very self-serving when it comes to the individual athlete! We'll still watch no matter the motive or circumstance! Anyone thinking there would be a fan ban if Worlds came off regardless of the p@ndemic? :soapbox: :judge::duh: :barrel

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There are reports of people having it and though they survived have been adversely affected and may have lifelong complications in their lungs among other things.
This is what I worry about most for the athletes. If you are a world-level athlete and you get this and survive but your lung capacity is diminished, it's unlikely you'll be able to perform at the same level. I would think for a world-class athlete, that would be devastating. All your athletic dreams would be gone.

Pattern Dances for the 2020-21 season will remain the same as the 2019-20 season

:duh: :wuzrobbed
I liked the Finnstep. And maybe now some of those ice dancers can hit some of the judging points. Seeing NNNN after a high-level team is done with the pattern so many times was rather annoying.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
The time has come for this relentless pandemic panic to end. Clearly,many have bought the narrative pushed by media and certain political groups.

Reschedule the World Championships for autumn. Failing to do so would be neurotic at best.

Procure a finely tailored facemask, if necessary,and live your lives again.

-BB

VGThuy

The time has come for this relentless ********* panic to end. Clearly,many have bought the narrative pushed by media and certain political groups.

Reschedule the World Championships for autumn. Failing to do so would be neurotic at best.

Procure a finely tailored facemask, if necessary,and live your lives again.

-BB

Nobody is stopping you from going out there and exposing yourself all you want. Start in lower Manhattan and work your ways to the outer boroughs. Throw a party with other like-minded people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information