TONIGHT! - Wednesday, MARCH 25 at 10pm UTC/6pm EST/5pm CT - 2001 Worlds - Ladies Top 18

VGThuy

If she didn't double that Lutz, I would have had no qualms placing her 2nd in the LP. I may still have with that.

VGThuy

I expected Kwan to win. I didn't discover online skating fandom yet and I just KNEW that if Kwan skated cleanly, she would win on the presentation mark no matter how Irina skated. Of course, the more I learned to more I realized that wouldn't have been true. But at the time, once Kwan skated cleanly, I just knew she won.

VGThuy

Agh, they mentioned the dance result, and now I have heartbreak flashbacks for A/P. :fragile:

What a crock of a competition. No wonder Marina...:skandal. I would have done it too. Come on, we all know her mom did it. :p

VGThuy

"Silver again, she's got a collection of those." :yikes: Don't say that to her face.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Sorry I missed this. I had a prior virtual hangout engagement, but I am interested in doing more of these in the future and possibly hosting one.

Thanks for hosting, VGT!

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I loved Butyrskaya the most, but I also loved Kwan and Slutskaya. Song of the Black Swan is probably my favorite Kwan free skate.

Irina’s skating, regardless which year, just doesn’t hold up for me. I will admit this is INFINITELY better than her Carmen (where pretty much every jump was extremely telegraphed, minimal efforts in spins and footwork). But I still think Maria deserved 2nd in the long. She also got unlucky to skate a ‘clean’ but extremely tentative short and go behind Hughes for 5th place in the segment and was a distant 6th overall going into the long.

The other story here was Fontana skating solid qualifying round and managing a shocking top 10 finish. Vanessa Giunchi beat her both at Nationals and Europeans after a brilliant free skate, but Sylvia was controversially sent to Worlds. And she came away with spots for both herself and Vanessa for SLC.

VGThuy

Because I'm petty, I looked up the judge who marked Kwan in third in the LP behind Slutskaya and Hughes. It seems he hasn't judged much since then. The last thing I saw was 2003 Europeans Qualifying Round B (where Volchkova won), and three junior events: 2005 Croatia Cup, 2005 Sofia Cup and refereeing for 2008 NRW Trophy. Good.

Also, this article that says he's homophobic:

:scream:

Assuming that's the same one.

The first judge, who marked Kwan behind Slutskaya, has worked extensively but has never judged a World Championships again. Good.

ETA: She did do Qualifying Round B at 2004 Worlds, but she never judged Kwan again.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Ahhhhh wish I could have made this! Regardless, thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments after the fact.

She also got unlucky to skate a ‘clean’ but extremely tentative short and go behind Hughes for 5th place in the segment and was a distant 6th overall going into the long.

I would have put her above Hughes, but unfortunately that 2A was worse than I remembered, and the footwork was so stiff, she couldn't get into her knees at all. Superficially, the "naked" dress she wore in the here SP is one of my favorite skating dresses ever. Not many skaters could pull that off, but she totally did.

Last edited:

Plusdinfo

Having Hughes over Butyrskaya at this competition was just sickening, and I found it to be a shameful bit of foreshadowing for the marks in the SP in SLC. Sarah Hughes didn't deserve to be anywhere near the top spot after the SP was over, but lo and behold she was placed just close enough to be a medal contender.

Wasn't this the same season of the NHK Trophy garbage where Slutskaya beat Butyrskaya only in the minds of about five humans on earth?

Maria was not a flawless skater, but she truly deserved better near the end of her career. That's not just my fandom coming out.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Remember when Peggy Fleming said Hughes should have WON the SP? :lol:
She had such a hard-on for Sarah.

Kateri

void beast
Because I'm petty, I looked up the judge who marked Kwan in third in the LP behind Slutskaya and Hughes. It seems he hasn't judged much since then. The last thing I saw was 2003 Europeans Qualifying Round B (where Volchkova won), and three junior events: 2005 Croatia Cup, 2005 Sofia Cup and refereeing for 2008 NRW Trophy. Good.

Also, this article that says he's homophobic:

:scream:

Assuming that's the same one.

The first judge, who marked Kwan behind Slutskaya, has worked extensively but has never judged a World Championships again. Good.

ETA: She did do Qualifying Round B at 2004 Worlds, but she never judged Kwan again.
I would tell you you're backsliding, but I'm too impressed by this god-tier display of petty. :lol:

Plusdinfo

Remember when Peggy Fleming said Hughes should have WON the SP? :lol:
She had such a hard-on for Sarah.

Ew, I don't remember that, probably because Peggy rarely (never?) had anything of value to say and I don't think it was easy for me to take people seriously when they gushed over Sarah Hughes. I believe earlier in the 2000-2001 season Susie Wynne was commentating for an event with Sarah and Maria, and Susie was like most of the other US announcers: very dismissive of Maria and quite supportive of Sarah.

Somewhat strangely, I loved Sarah's work in the 2002-2003 season... which I only saw about eight years after the fact, as I was studying away from the U.S. that whole year. But Sarah's "presentation" in seasons before that? Come on. Come on!!! And as we all know, it's not like she was fully rotating all of her jumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information