2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

greenapple

While it is a nice pipe dream, it will be almost a miracle if the Canadian ladies manage to fly under or at the magic number required to qualify two for 2021 Worlds.

Skate Talker

If you can’t master a triple Lutz or a triple-triple (the latter not an issue for Madeline, obviously, but it is for some others), the odds of getting a quad or a triple Axel are low indeed.
If you take the triple- triple out of the equation, we can all remember a very famous skater who couldn't master the triple lutz but most certainly mastered both the triple axel and a quad - Kurt Browning. IIRC during his era there was a Skate Canada mandate for the men that they must have a triple axel to be seriously considered for International assignments. So this thing with the ladies and the triple lutz isn't a new game by any means.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If you take the triple- triple out of the equation, we can all remember a very famous skater who couldn't master the triple lutz but most certainly mastered both the triple axel and a quad - Kurt Browning. IIRC during his era there was a Skate Canada mandate for the men that they must have a triple axel to be seriously considered for International assignments. So this thing with the ladies and the triple lutz isn't a new game by any means.

One of the best male artists Canada ever produced suffered at the hands of this ruling.
Sebastien Britten was miles ahead of many a skater at the time who had a triple axel.

kalamalka

One of the best male artists Canada ever produced suffered at the hands of this ruling.
Sebastien Britten was miles ahead of many a skater at the time who had a triple axel.
Britten was my first thought as well. Still one of my favourite skaters ever. His lines, his musicality, his skating skills, even his other jumps . . .and at the end of his career it was horrible to see him trying the 3A so many times, knowing that without it he had no hope with the federation.

Skate Talker

Britten was my first thought as well. Still one of my favourite skaters ever. His lines, his musicality, his skating skills, even his other jumps . . .and at the end of his career it was horrible to see him trying the 3A so many times, knowing that without it he had no hope with the federation.
Yes of course, though he did get a shot at the World's stage and was somewhat recognized by the judges for his artistry.
Today, I think this would be akin to if the USA had blocked Jason the years he didn't have the 3 Axel and the years he had no quad at all, and even now because his short program is quad-less. Of course the increase of GOE has been a big help for his cause.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Yes of course, though he did get a shot at the World's stage and was somewhat recognized by the judges for his artistry.
Today, I think this would be akin to if the USA had blocked Jason the years he didn't have the 3 Axel and the years he had no quad at all, and even now because his short program is quad-less. Of course the increase of GOE has been a big help for his cause.

Still, without a triple axel, Britten's best result at the world level was a bit of a Top Ten Jen.

I was fortunate enough to see him skate live twice (in 1994 at the Canadian Championships and the 1996 World Championships. Both times were in Edmonton.)

I wonder how he would have been scored under IJS?

vesperholly

Eh? Skate Canada sent Britten to the 94 Olympics and Worlds in 94, 95 and 96. During those three seasons, he also was sent to 2 GP events each year. Perhaps his results suffered from trying a triple axel when he didn't have it (though he took bronze at one of his GPs every season), but I don't see where he was excluded from any events.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Eh? Skate Canada sent Britten to the 94 Olympics and Worlds in 94, 95 and 96. During those three seasons, he also was sent to 2 GP events each year. Perhaps his results suffered from trying a triple axel when he didn't have it (though he took bronze at one of his GPs every season), but I don't see where he was excluded from any events.

Yes, Britten had decent results between 1993 - 1996. With a triple axel, he could have achieved so much more.

In 1996, at least 12 men included the triple axel in their short program at the World Championships in Edmonton.
Britten popped his combination (of a triple lutz/double or triple toe) and was buried in 20th.

Those two factors may have contributed to the Canadian Association's ruling for the 1997 World Championships. Remember too, that the requirements determining the number of individual spots at the World Level had changed as well. Jeff Langdon had a triple axel, and was probably considered a stronger prospect to help earn back three berths for Canada.

Also, this week the World Junior Championships are in Tallinn. Here's hoping that the two Canadian ladies' do their best. I'll be very interested to see if Schumacher can maintain or improve upon her top ten ranking from last season.

There is a lot of depth in the overall competition, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

You're response does a ridiculous disservice to people who have been actually bullied.

Here we go again. ECB's hand has again been overplayed. He/she was recently ousted on another site for their divine devotion, as this poster could not stand the thought of anyone ever calling into question the coaching techniques of Joanne McLeod. To offer an opposing opinion than ECB's, runs the risk of being labelled a ''bully''.

My 2 cents, given Coach McLeod's history of ignoring and not correcting skating skills is, ...run Emily run! Ravi is not far away.

Last edited:
Reactions: fan

barbarafan

Yes, Britten had decent results between 1993 - 1996. With a triple axel, he could have achieved so much more.

In 1996, at least 12 men included the triple axel in their short program at the World Championships in Edmonton.
Britten popped his combination (of a triple lutz/double or triple toe) and was buried in 20th.

Those two factors may have contributed to the Canadian Association's ruling for the 1997 World Championships. Remember too, that the requirements determining the number of individual spots at the World Level had changed as well. Jeff Langdon had a triple axel, and was probably considered a stronger prospect to help earn back three berths for Canada.

Also, this week the World Junior Championships are in Tallinn. Here's hoping that the two Canadian ladies' do their best. I'll be very interested to see if Schumacher can maintain or improve upon her top ten ranking from last season.

There is a lot of depth in the overall competition, that's for sure.

I have noticed that Allison's arm movements have firmed up and she is using them more in her jumps this season. In my head I have wondered seeing as Joey Russell seems to be involved with her coaching as well as choreography that that might be the reason. Her last competitions she seemed to revert ...maybe muscle memory under very stressful situations. Obviously someone is working very hard with her on the overall package. When she hits it the result is extremely beautiful in a light airy way. Which Allison will show up on the day? Can she bury the external and focus on the new Allison? I certainly hope so.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Kim Decelles announced her retirement on Instagram.
She was always one of my favourites and I was sorry she didn’t make it back to the international scene. Best of luck to her as she continues her studies.

shutterbug

Lori Ewing article: Ruiter is enjoying breakout season; future of Canadian women’s skating is bright
Ruiter is already landing the triple Axel — a jump that used to trip up Canada’s three-time world champion Patrick Chan — in a harness, which resembles a giant fishing pole that Davis holds.

“That’s one of the goals for this summer is to start working on that a little bit more intensely, and then we’ll see which triple might be able to be a quad,” he said. “She’s got great technique from (previous coaches) Darlene (Joseph) and Ravi (Walia), and then we’ll which one has the most height. And she’s a quick rotator, so keeping that intact, and then obviously keeping her healthy, you don’t want to injure the body.

vesperholly

Jeff Langdon also finished 2nd at Nationals - ahead of Britten - and earned his spot. Canada only had two men's spots in 1997. Sorry, done now.

Excited to see how Kaiya Ruiter does at JW!

ChiquitaBanana

Joey is in Tallin as he was with Andrew Hallam for the TCC dance teams. Hope he is also with Allison.
If Allison can perform only when Russell is there would be pretty :eek:. At this stage the technical elements should be settled. It's not like she never works with the other coaches at home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information