NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

ross_hy

Has anyone else had issues with the NBC Sports mobile app? Every time I try to pull up a video, it clocks for a few seconds and then the app shuts down. I did check and my app is up to date.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I had that situation last week. Assuming your cable and Gold passwords are entered and correct, check that you’re properly connected to whatever network. I was out of the house, trying to use public WiFi, but hadn’t connected via browser first, which is what was required for the network I was trying to use. Another WiFi network blocked streaming apps and caused the shutdown behavior.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I have a lot of issues on my laptop with the videos on demand not opening properly on the first click. I have to go back to the main video on demand page and click again before some of these videos will initialize and open properly. I don't know if it's NBCSportsGold's unwieldy and difficult to use website or my laptop. It's not the browser.

The fact that NBC dropped so much content during Rostelecom Cup without organizing it properly for ease of finding and viewing videos on demand, is extremely annoying and inconveniencing. I'm glad for all the U.S. Sectionals content, but NBC should load it with better common sense. Obviously, they understand zip about figure skating events.

If they are going to show random victory ceremonies at some events and not at others, that's also definitely NOT the same content we had with IceNetwork. :( Sure the visuals are better for the most part on NBCSportsGold, but we don't get to see a lot that we saw on IN. For another instance, it would be hugely helpful to see highlight videos of the top performances. I know NBC sometimes posts a few gold medal performances on their main sports/figure skating/olympics page. But that's not the same as having highlight videos and general content better organized and more easily accessible on the NBCSportsGold page.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
aftershocks said:
I have a lot of issues on my laptop with the videos on demand not opening properly on the first click. I have to go back to the main video on demand page and click again before some of these videos will initialize and open properly. I don't know if it's NBCSportsGold's unwieldy and difficult to use website or my laptop. It's not the browser.

Which browser are you using? I watch on my laptop using the Edge Browser with Windows 10. I've never experienced any problems that you mentioned using it. The videos on demand open and begin playing on the very first click. I don't know what brand laptop you have, but I have a Dell Inspiron 15R Special (7520). It works very well with streaming on any site I go to.

Aceon6

Sometimes, logging out, clearing cookies, then logging back in fixes problems. Look for cookies ending in NBCSports.com and delete them. Also, make sure your equipment has sufficient space for temporary files. If your storage is more than 80% full, you may have issues. Same for memory. And don’t even try to stream while your antivirus is updating or scanning.

my3sons

I am trying to access NBCsports gold through my fire stick. I got the app installed and everything, but the only replays they are showing is Grand Prix final. I can see everything on the computer going back to last year. Thoughts?

Aceon6

Heads up. NBC seems to have changed their streaming app. I had to reactivate both NBCSports and my Gold subscription on my Fire sticks as well as my iPad. The layout on the Fire Stick is quite different as well, requiring a bit of navigation to get to the figure skating content. As noted above, the full list of replays still aren’t showing in the menus on the Fire app. All replays are available on the browser and iPad.

With the US Natls/Worlds double header coming up in just a few weeks, it might be advisable to check your setup and become familiar with the new navigation.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Does anyone know if NBC Sports Gold will offer a single-event pass for US Nationals? I'd like to watch on the high-quality stream (even if it means having to suffer Weir's commentary all through Jason) but I'm not forking out the equivalent of $70 AUD for one event.

honey

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but is there no longer an option to stream via Apple TV? I know I did this last year....started the video on my phone, then air played it to the Apple TV. There doesn’t seem to be an option to do that this year.

Now it looks like my only option is going to be screen mirroring. This works, but it’s not full screen and it means I cannot use my phone at the same time (I know, first world problems).

I have a very old Apple TV so can’t just add the app on the Apple TV.

ETA: never mind! I got it to work by manually turning on the airplay from the control centre.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
To answer my question from earlier in the thread, no, NBC Sports Gold does not offer single-event passes.

I love Jason, but I'm not shelling out $70 to watch one event.

aftershocks

Banned Member
So now there's no commentary apparently for senior events on NBC Gold. Last year, Michael Weiss and Charlie White provided commentary on the NBC Gold live stream, and we also got close-ups of the kiss 'n cry. This year for some unexplained reason, the stream is not providing close-up shots of the skaters in the kiss 'n cry for senior events! I can understand that it's not done for junior events. But why this change?

NBC Gold charges more than IceNetwork and we get less and less every year. They just dump events on their website without any organization whatsoever. We don't see backstage interviews, nor press conferences, nor highlight videos, nor medal ceremonies. And now, no commentary and no close-up views of skaters in the kiss 'n cry.

Plus, there are often jumpy glitches in the live stream with it sometimes cutting out. That happened with junior pairs and junior men. This is not a good value for my money.

The close-up camera coverage and commentary must now be reserved for NBCSN and NBC tv coverage. And that stinks.

U.S. figure skating fan zone should at least be providing us with medal ceremony coverage and highlight clips. :mad:

annie720

So now there's no commentary apparently for senior events on NBC Gold. Last year, Michael Weiss and Charlie White provided commentary on the NBC Gold live stream, and we also got close-ups of the kiss 'n cry. This year for some unexplained reason, the stream is not providing close-up shots of the skaters in the kiss 'n cry for senior events! I can understand that it's not done for junior events. But why this change?.........
Apparently you didn't watch the Ladies tonight. There was commentary on NBC Gold, by Tanith and Charlie, and there were close-ups in the K/C.

Many NBC Gold subscribers like that there is no commentary and have given feedback to that effect. To me, no commentary is much better than the Tara & Johnny side show, but I'm fine with Tanith, Charlie, Ben, etc.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Nope, I didn't see the ladies yet. My question is about no commentary for pairs. I thought Michael Weiss and Charlie White did an excellent job commentating pairs last season on NBC Gold. I too get annoyed with the overhype and overtalking by Tara & Johnny, so I'm not asking for that. It's not so much the lack of commentary on NBC Gold, it's the cutting back on what we get for this subscription vs what we got for IceNetwork. According to the tv schedule, NBC tv isn't even planning to cover the pairs fp live for the final groups, like they usually do.

My biggest beef is that for some reason the NBC Gold feed is not switching to the kiss 'n cry camera for this year's Nationals. At least they didn't for the pairs sp event. I want my kiss 'n cry close-up views for the money I'm shelling out! Plus, I want coverage of the medal ceremonies and video highlights of top performances, like we got with IceNetwork!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Tanith and Charlie were in the booth with headsets for the pairs, so I thought they were on the air. 🤔🤔

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Tanith and Charlie were in the booth with headsets for the pairs, so I thought they were on the air. 🤔🤔
They weren't on the air during the first 2 teams so I switched over to TT&J for the pairs SP and was pleasantly thrilled when I turned on the ladies SP and heard Tanith & Charlie. Their commentary was marvelous!

mollymgr

NBC Gold must have been having some technical difficulties which they might have not been aware of?!? There were no graphics/replays or tracker during the entire Pairs SP event, the audio was off and there was no commentary at all. It looked like one camera was doing the whole event. The K&C looked so tiny. :eek: They finally got it sorted right when the ladies event started. The commentary audio came on suddenly since Tanith and Charlie were mid-sentence. :lol: The graphics, replays and tracker were also restored. They are listed on the press release to be commentating on the entire event on Gold together minus dance (Tanith will be on the TV NBC for dance).

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Is Ben going to sub in for Tanith on Gold for dance? Or I guess they need a PBP person while Ben is usually color.

mollymgr

Is Ben going to sub in for Tanith on Gold for dance? Or I guess they need a PBP person while Ben is usually color.
I hope it will be Ben. I'm not sure what NBC's TV plans are for dance. If they don't show all of them, then Tanith could be doing earlier groups on Gold and the remaining on TV. Ben is only listed for the Ice Desk on their press release which are partly accurate.:lol:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
That app still gives me trouble every blasted time. At least my subscription allows me to view it on the computer. But it's frustrating.

maureenfarone

Last year Ben Agosto was coaching or choreographing for several dance teams. After Manta/Johnson finished the SD Ben joined Charlie on the NBC Gold stream. I reviewed the 2019 Nationals SD to figure out when Ben joined the stream. Anyway I don't know if Ben is working with any of the dance teams this year, but if he isn't, I would love for him to join Charlie for the RD. They did great last year, IMO.

aftershocks

Banned Member
NBC Gold must have been having some technical difficulties which they might have not been aware of?!? There were no graphics/replays or tracker during the entire Pairs SP event, the audio was off and there was no commentary at all. It looked like one camera was doing the whole event. The K&C looked so tiny. :eek: They finally got it sorted right when the ladies event started. The commentary audio came on suddenly since Tanith and Charlie were mid-sentence. :lol: The graphics, replays and tracker were also restored. They are listed on the press release to be commentating on the entire event on Gold together minus dance (Tanith will be on the TV NBC for dance).

Really?? I noticed we didn't see any live scoring box on-screen for pairs sp. I was very put off by the fact they didn't switch to the kiss 'n cry camera. There was just that one long view camera, and the cameraman covering the kiss 'n cry was blocking the view of skaters and their coaches. If there was a technical problem, they need to fix it!!! Were the technicians asleep on the job or something?! This just irks because it looks like the NBC Gold feed is so secondary to them, but meanwhile they still want our money automatically. :mad:

When the pairs sp was aired live, the tech and audio problems for NBC Gold weren't noticed? They need to find a way to correct those problems for the archived on-demand pairs sp coverage. Not having the Tanith/Charlie audio or kiss 'n cry up-close view is so sloppy, and they expect fans to just put up with it.

What do you mean you 'switched to TT&J'? Do you mean you turned on your cable to watch NBCSN or switched to computer coverage on NBCSN that you pay extra for? I'm tired of having to pay for different channel services here there and everywhere just to get complete coverage. :(

U.S. figure skating need to get on the ball and offer coverage of press conferences and medal ceremonies on fan zone. The lack of dedicated, full behind-the-scenes coverage totally limits a satisfying experience of the event. The coverage is too disparate, disconnected and piecemeal.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
That app still gives me trouble every blasted time. At least my subscription allows me to view it on the computer. But it's frustrating.

Exactly. For NBC Gold archived event coverage, it's time-consuming trying to find each event, because they sometimes aren't labeled accurately and because they just dump events on the website without any concern or thought to organizing the events separately. Euros this that and the other events are thrown in a piecemeal hodgepodge with Junior U.S. Nats events and Senior U.S. Nats events. Quite often when I have clicked on an event, it won't play at first, so I have to click back to the original page more than once and try again before the video will actually start! Hugely frustrating. :mad:

ETA:
So I see that U.S. Figure Skating is sharing press conferences on their Youtube channel, along with the Ice Desk features. Now, if only they will share full videos of the awards ceremonies! And also please get NBC Gold to get their audio, tech and camera problems fixed for complete coverage of all the events!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information